Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Doug Blatherwick

Real Name Doug Blatherwick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Hanneth
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 25, 2003, 02:10
Total Comments 49 (Suspect)
User ID 18148

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > New NVIDIA ForceWare Vista Drivers
9. Re: vid card progression Feb 20, 2007, 20:20 Hanneth

NVIDIA drivers have always been bad. Ever tried programming some thing to work on one of their cards? I've found it to be extremely frustrating.

ATI used to have bad drivers, then they wanted to get back in the game and hired some driver developers and came out with the Catalyst program. Now their driver's aren't perfect, but most of the time if there's a problem, I've traced it back to my code.

NVIDIA more often then not, if there's a problem it's because they don't properly support some thing in DirectX, or it's broken in the set of WHQL drivers I tested it on.

The crappy drivers and hardware that likes to fry are why I'm a fanATIc.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mythic Joins UO Team
11. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2006, 13:41 Hanneth

No, no, no.
Don't you follow EA's business practices at all?
If there is some thing people are really looking forward to and will make them a lot of money, they have to cancel it.

UO and DAoC are making them money now, which means:
Warhammer Online: SAMURAI KINGDOM (RIP)

Then some of the content that was ment for Warhammer Online will be rolled into the next UO and DAoC Expansion expansions.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 13:42.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Sims 2 Holiday Edition
10. Re: vid card progression Nov 15, 2005, 19:36 Hanneth

September 17, 2004 is not 5 years ago. Notice it's The Sims 2 Holiday Edition.

That being said, they are definately screwing over the people that bought the game when it came out. Hahahaha, you bought it when it came out, well if you'd waited, we've now added 40 new items. On you can get them for only $15 US. Oh, but people buying the Holiday Edition are getting them for the same price as the base game. Screw all you people that helped us make this game a success.

In normal EA style of course.

My favorite was when I played UO and they'd come out with an expansion making the games completely unplayable for a month, but they'd still charge you for the month, even though basically no one could play the game. Then the next month you could actually login, but all the new features were still too buggy to use and they had broken some old features in the process. But low and behold 5 months after releasing an expansion they'd finally get every thing working, just in time for another expansion.

News Comments > On DOOM 3 Settings
131. Re: vid card progression Jul 27, 2004, 11:51 Hanneth

CGA [ISA]
BOCA SVGA [ISA]
VGA [ISA]
Cirrus Logic SVGA [VESA Local Bus]
Matrox Millenium [PCI]
Matrox Millenium II [PCI]
Diamond Monster 3D (Voodoo 1) [PCI]
Creative Banshee (Voodoo Banshee) [PCI]
3dfx Voodoo3 3000 [AGP 2x]
3dfx Voodoo3 3500 TV [AGP 2x]
3dfx Voodoo5 5500 [AGP 4x]
ATI Radeon 8500 64Meg [AGP 4x]
Sapphire Radeon 9600 256Meg [AGP 4x]

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 12:19.

News Comments > New ATI CATALYST Drivers
3. Utter crap Jan 19, 2004, 17:17 Hanneth

And I thought the 3.10 drivers were bad for Neverwinter Nights.

If you play Neverwinter Nights, make sure to go with the CATALYST 3.9 drivers.

News Comments > New ATI CATALYST Drivers
33. Neverwinter Nights Broken Oct 9, 2003, 02:15 Hanneth

With the 3.8 drivers Neverwinter Nights is basically unplayable. The Lighting is completely messes up and textures are dissapearing and appearing randomly every few frames.
Went back to the 3.7 drivers and all is good.

Also Ultima Online full screen problem still is not fixed. I don't play UO anymore, but boot it up every once in a while to see if they've fixed the problem.

-Radian 8500
Yes, I've reported the problems to ATI.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Source Code Leak
182. Direct Attacks, Maturity and Security Oct 3, 2003, 04:59 Hanneth

Time for me to pipe up again.

First off, people do directed attacks at anyone. My server is constantly getting attacked, some of them where people are personally attacking and not using automated scripts.

I have friends that have had their computers directly attacked because they are female and the hackers are trying to see if they can find a diary or get in to their emails. Some one has even gone after my grandmother's computer directly.

In reply to the gaming industry being immature because of not being able to meet target dates. Does this mean the book industry and movie industries are immature as well. After all, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was delayed twice and I believe it was almost a year late coming out.

I also mentioned movies, there have been many movies that have not meet their original release time. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was originally scheduled to be released December this year. Things happened like the original director decided he didn't want to do another one so they had to find a new director. Then one of their actors died.

So is the book industry, which has been around for thousands of years immature? Are you saying the the movie, Airplane, Car, Software Industry, Aerospace Industry, Nuclear-Power Industry, Ship-Building, Instrument, Sound system and just about every other business that makes products is immature?

Even seemingly simple products can run in to complication, for more complex products it's harder to determine exactly when they are going to be done. Is this immature, or is this just because things are becoming more complex? Should all the industries just wait until the final product is ready then start advertising it? Companies advertise their products before they know exactly when they will be ready because it makes the customer aware that the product is coming out and when to expect it. With complex thing, this date becomes harder to estimate.

Back in tech school my professor had a saying he was fond of. "The only secure computer is one encased in concrete and buried 50 feet under." He was one of the team that made the first wireless computers. They were for police cars and found out that no matter how much security you have, if some one wants to get in to some thing, if they have any access at all to it, they'll probably find a way.

That being said if you live in an area of town where cars have their windows smashed on a regular basis when they are parked out front, but it is less likely they will be smashed if you park out back. Doesn't it make sense to park your car in back? Either way it's not your fault if your window gets smashed, but you should take steps to try to prevent it.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Source Code Leak
35. Windows, sure, Outlook & IE NOT! Oct 2, 2003, 18:27 Hanneth

I tell people that Outlook, Outlook Express and Internet Explorer are bad things to be running on your computer, but many people seam to ignore me.

From what I can tell the Outlook family was so badly written you could drive a fleet of cruise liners through it even with every security patch installed. Personally I use Netscape 4.8 Mail and am moving to Mozilla Mail probably soon and haven't had any problems with viruses. Of course I almost never run any EXE, COM, or VBS files I get in my inbox unless I know for sure they are safe. Also, unlike Outlook, you can't get around having to click on the file to run it.

Now I know that IE is the most used web browser right now, but it's still very dangerous. There are at least 2 well known bugs that people can use to do anything they want on your computer. Now for the most part you do have to go to their web page for them to do this to you, but still, just having the ability for some one to make a malicious page scares me.

Then you get those banner adds. Can anyone say Gator? The add comes on, a message box pops up with a yes or no, most people I bet click the Yes thinking just get this box out of my way. What if some one hijacks one of these adds and puts a virus in? What if Gator or one of these other spy ware programs has a security hole in it. I've never had a problem with this using Mozilla. IE, I've had to fix too many people's computers because of this.

As for why they use Windows, most of the people with PCs run Windows, whether you like it or not, that's where the most money is for the gaming market right now.

News Comments > UXO Preview
12. Can anyone say Ultima VIII revised? Aug 24, 2003, 22:22 Hanneth

From what I can tell UXO is very much along the lines of Ultima VIII. Toss the word virtue in there, and turn Ultima in to an action game. Don't they ever learn from past mistakes. Ultima VIII was considered the worst Ultima ever and they seam to be trying to copy the "success" of it.

49 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo