Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Doug Blatherwick

Real Name Doug Blatherwick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Hanneth
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 25, 2003, 02:10
Total Comments 48 (Suspect)
User ID 18148

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Console Crisis Mar 10, 2014, 11:16 Hanneth

Actually there was a reason to upgrade to the PS3 when it came out. You could play blu-ray discs. You had to have a HD TV to do this and the selection of videos wasn't that great at the time. Also you could play most of your PS2 and PS1 games. It was an upgrade.

With the PS4, you can't play PS1, PS2, or PS3 games from disk as is. PS4 does not support Blu-ray 3D yet. (A deal breaker for me) Cannot currently play CDs, or MP3s. Basically the PS4 is an alpha product, it is feature incomplete.

The Xbox One suffers the same problem of being an alpha product. They shipped with features missing they knew some people want. The new start screen apparently worse than than the 360, which is being worked on. While it is a definite upgrade in being able to watch Blu-rays as well as DVDs, it doesn't support Blu-ray 3D either.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Xperia Z2, Does it Blend? Feb 24, 2014, 14:47 Hanneth

Something must be seriously wrong with me because the above question was the first thing I thought of when I started reading the article.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $38M
53. Re: Star Citizen Schedule Feb 7, 2014, 03:12 Hanneth

I was at work, so I did not grab the latest version, but it hasn't really changed. Yes, dogfighting is late and I wanted to honestly show that, so I mentioned they missed that original target and left the original target date to show that. They have not shifted any of their other targets, so I saw no reason not to publish the old version as is.

The early previews were made to help get corporate backing to supplement the full cost of making the game. They have now made enough money crowd funding to not need the corporate backing at all.

Chris Roberts has stated that a lot of the preview assets were being developed for the final Squadron 42 game. Specifically the carrier was being designed to eventually turn into the final product. Only the rooms that were finished were shown in the preview, there was still a lot of work to do. With the upgrades to the Star Citizen ships, the carrier likely has seen some tweaking. Also all footage was fully working in game. Some of the assets were purchased to fill in what they hadn't developed yet. I think the enemy was purchased assets just to have something. The preview was an early version of what will be the final game showing assets and tech that was already working.

As for development of Squadron 42, yes, putting the story in the game engine was just started in December. Writing of the story started before that, and so did the asset creation. The asset creation started about 2 years ago and was the first thing they started working on. Are they modifying the story, yes, I think 2 of the stretch goals extended the scope, but while getting the story in game is a lot of work, it is only part of a larger piece of work that they are well into. Why haven't we seen more? According to their weekly show, they want something to be a surprise, and that is Squadron 42. They have said a few times last year that they were in active development of assets for Squadron 42.

Yes, there will be a full release of Squadron 42. The early backers will get the story in beta episodes as each segment is mostly polished, but after the last episode they will do a final coat of polish which will be the full release. The final beta episode they are targeting for December 2014, final release January/February 2015. Chris admitted that December might be a little too ambitious for all the episodes to be done, but that is their current target. I think they were looking at September/Early October for the first episode.

This information is spread all over the place, but The Hull Truth and Wingman's Hanger are really good resources that pull a lot of this information together.

The Hull Truth
http://www.youtube.com/show/thehulltruth

Wingman's Hanger
http://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceIn

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $38M
36. Star Citizen Schedule Feb 6, 2014, 11:15 Hanneth

So far they have delivered on time with the Hangar Module. The dog fighting module is late, but will use their own netcode instead of the stop gap Cryengine netcode. The early previews were mostly from Squadron 42, so we know that they have that at least some working. The plan is to have the full release early 2015, but still add more content and features over time.

From Wikipedia
--------------

Star Citizen is being developed using a modular approach, with the first module (dubbed the "Hangar Module") scheduled for release on or around 29 August 2013 in order to coincide with the games appearance at the 2013 Gamescom trade fair.

The initial release of the Hangar Module will allow backers of the project to explore their virtual ships from a 1st person perspective within Cryengine 3. Subsequent updates to the Hangar Module will include the ability to add upgrades and modifications to players' ships and allow players to invite friends to their hangar. The module system is intended to be iterative in nature, with updated version of modules being released as and when additional functionality and content are finalized.

Other Modules which have been mentioned by the developers (if not officially confirmed) include:

The Dogfighting Module (estimated December 2013) will allow a limited number of early backers to playtest the ship combat portion of the game against other players.

The Social/Planetside Module (estimated March–April 2014) will allow backers to experience the 1st person non-combat planet based environment, consisting of various shops and bars.

Squadron 42/Singleplayer Alpha (estimated August 2014) - little is known at this stage, but it is understood that this module will allow backers to try out the branching single player campaign (known as Squadron 42).

Persistent Universe/Beta (estimated end of 2014/early 2015) - again little is known at this stage, but it is understood that this module will allow backers to access a Beta version of the massively multiplayer persistent universe (known as Star Citizen).

Final Release (estimated Q1 2015) - Full commercial release of both Squadron 42 and Star Citizen.

News Comments > FTL: Faster Than Light Expansion Next Year
30. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Expansion Next Year Nov 12, 2013, 13:29 Hanneth

TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY!!!

Oh wait, its free. SWEET!!!

*Clarification, the expansion is free, I already own the game*

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $26 Million
15. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 20:49 Hanneth

Creating new ship costs $35k to $150k. $150k are more for captital ships. Stretch goals are $1m apart.
They are growing the team to allow for "feature creep".

*sarcasm* Yup, no way this will ever work out. *sarcasm*

Star Assets

They have hit the first milestone of the hanger. They are saying dogfighting will be out next month. They have already put in a really basic preview of character customization early.

Honestly, they are hitting, or slightly ahead of schedule so far, so unless they miss a major milestone like dogfighting next month, I see no reason for the current skepticism.

Yes, previous projects of his have been off the mark on timeline, but so far so good on this project, and it is being built in a way where we are seeing the pieces come together in person.

Some people compare this to FTL. FTL's scope changed, but the number or people working on it didn't. Star Citizen they are increasing the number people for art and programming as needed. They also have the work segmented really well to allow for growing the team without having people trip over each other.

News Comments > Star Citizen Ship Design Competition
18. Single Player is the Military Story Oct 11, 2013, 20:33 Hanneth

Yes, single player is only the military story.

Multi-player, Multi = more than one, can be played in the persistent universe, or your own personal server which accepts mods and only the people you want there.

I guess if you want, you can be the only person flying around on your own server which would kind of make it single player.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat
36. Star Citizen is being developed using a modular approach Sep 7, 2013, 16:08 Hanneth

So far they have delivered on time with the Hangar Module. The early previews were mostly from Squadron 42, so we know that they have that at least some working. I always remembered them talking about 2015 for the full release.

They already talked about being able to walk around complexes Planetside and there was plans for FPS space and ship combat, so I don't see how adding planetary combat is that much of a stretch. Yes, you require more content developers, but 1 million could get you 10 to 20 more content developers for 1 year.

From Wikipedia
--------------

Star Citizen is being developed using a modular approach, with the first module (dubbed the "Hangar Module") scheduled for release on or around 29 August 2013 in order to coincide with the games appearance at the 2013 Gamescom trade fair.

The initial release of the Hangar Module will allow backers of the project to explore their virtual ships from a 1st person perspective within Cryengine 3. Subsequent updates to the Hangar Module will include the ability to add upgrades and modifications to players' ships and allow players to invite friends to their hangar. The module system is intended to be iterative in nature, with updated version of modules being released as and when additional functionality and content are finalized.

Other Modules which have been mentioned by the developers (if not officially confirmed) include:

The Dogfighting Module (estimated December 2013) will allow a limited number of early backers to playtest the ship combat portion of the game against other players.

The Social/Planetside Module (estimated March–April 2014) will allow backers to experience the 1st person non-combat planet based environment, consisting of various shops and bars.

Squadron 42/Singleplayer Alpha (estimated August 2014) - little is known at this stage, but it is understood that this module will allow backers to try out the branching single player campaign (known as Squadron 42).

Persistent Universe/Beta (estimated end of 2014/early 2015) - again little is known at this stage, but it is understood that this module will allow backers to access a Beta version of the massively multiplayer persistent universe (known as Star Citizen).

Final Release (estimated Q1 2015) - Full commercial release of both Squadron 42 and Star Citizen.

News Comments > SimCity Patched
2. Re: SimCity Patched May 23, 2013, 13:27 Hanneth

Yay, only almost 3 months after it was first released and it might now be playable.

I'll pass on this train wreck.

News Comments > President's Day Mobilization
2. Re: Sony pledges a decade of support for Vita. Feb 20, 2012, 12:42 Hanneth

Sony pledges? Since when has Sony kept their word? It is about as good as a grain of salt. Thank you, I needed a laugh this morning.  

News Comments > Unreal Engine 3 Adding DirectX 11 Support
25. Re: Unreal Engine 3 Adding DirectX 11 Support Mar 2, 2011, 18:12 Hanneth

You hit the hammer on the nail "at least on a PC". The Xbox360 uses a unified memory design. This means that the CPU, GPU and sound are all accessing the same memory causing a major memory bottleneck.

Most PCs have dedicated memory for each of these things.

Also adding more memory slows down the memory access time. On some old motherboards you would see this where if you had 1 or 2 slots filled you could run at 133mhz, where if you filled all 3 slots you could only run at 100mhz.

Everything is about trade offs. For example, if you have a 64-bit AMD, or Intel computer, it probably isn't actually a 64-bit computer unless you have an Itanium.

It is most likely a 32-bit/64-bit/80-bit/128-bit hybrid. 32-bit instruction set, 64-bit integer and memory addressing, 80-bit floating point and 128-bit SIMD instructions. Even then the actual memory controller is probability 42-bit or 48-bit. The more bits, the slower it takes to run, unless you need that precision, then it is faster, thus why the hybrid architecture.

I guess that kinda makes sense. That said, memory speed doesn't really seem to make any significant performance difference, at least on the PC. In real-world gaming benchmarks, using DDR2 memory will result in the same loading times and framerates as using DDR3 memory. In this case, quantity is more important than quality.

News Comments > Mac Steam Client
9. Buy once for all supported platforms May 12, 2010, 20:07 Hanneth

"Purchase a game once and play it on your Mac or PC. Just look for the Steam Play symbol when shopping."

I can't find the quote, but they have already said that any games you have a already bought, are part of Steam Play and the Mac game client has been released you can download on the Mac.

When you buy new games, if you start out on a PC and buy a new computer that is a Mac, your games will follow you. If you are on a Mac and later switch to PC, your games will follow you.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Next Console Cycle Could Be The Last, says IBIS Capital. Mar 30, 2010, 15:28 Hanneth

I might point out that bankers said the same thing about consoles about 25 years ago when Atari dominated the business. If anyone believes this they should go read about AC2 and it's problems with online DRM. Consoles aren't going away. Sony is already well into the development of the PS4 and is making plans for the PS5. Nintendo already has plans for the next Wii and you can bet they are already thinking about the next product. Microsoft, well who knows what they are thinking. Let us see here TV got rid of radio didn't it? No? People just don't learn from the past.  

News Comments > Lord of Ultima in Beta
9. Ultima Online as you knew it is dead Jan 27, 2010, 12:32 Hanneth

I remember Ultima Online and miss it dearly. Unfortunately it no longer exists, just an empty shell with the same name.

It used to be to get the best stuff you had to go to a crafter. Actually some things like cloaks you could only get from crafters.
Now you can buy just about anything a crafter can make from an NPC for way cheaper than a crafter can make it, or the item is on a PC vendor that they got from a boss spawn.

If ripping the soul out of it wasn't bad enough, they released this "great" new client which has had it's interface downgraded to the level of other MMOs base interface. One of the things I always missed when playing other MMOs was UO's easy interface. Unfortunately that is gone now.

I also liked the clothing and colour assortment, but that's gone too. They put a temporary hue system into the new client and were working on a proper one, but it has since been dropped just leaving the horrible temporary system in place.

News Comments > VGA Ratings Dip
10. Re: VGA Ratings Dip Jan 26, 2010, 13:33 Hanneth

Maybe having a host that has played a video game? I haven't watched it in a while, but the first few I caught glimpses of, it was obvious that the host didn't play video games. (Bring on Felicia Day!)

What's with all the hip-hop and rap? Most games do not have these types of music inside them and I doubt any of the songs played actually appear in the games nominated. If there can be a Game Music Concert, why can't they play the music at the awards show. Lets hear some Jeremy Soule and some of the other great game music writers.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: Why Spike's Video Game Awards Suck Dec 17, 2009, 01:59 Hanneth

It might have something to do with the fact that everyone I have tried watching has been more about the announcers and songs, than video games. That and they seem to go out of their way to find the absolute worst annoying host they can each year.  

News Comments > UO Return to Britannia Campaign
8. RE: UO Return to Britannia Campaign Sep 28, 2009, 13:31 Hanneth

Don't worry UO looks worse than ever with it's highly pixelated new character graphics and monsters they are still missing artwork for. You remember the great debacle they used to have with every expansion? Well they are continuing that tradition with their newest client.

If any of you tried playing the old client in Windows Vista you will remember how it played nicely, the new client triggers even Windows 7's UAC. Don't worry, they've gotten rid of niceties like being able to double click on your character and going into the game, now you have to click on your character name, then move the mouse to login, or what ever the button is called.

As for the person saying they found their disk... It's useless, you will need to download either the SA Classic Client, or download the SA New Client, your old disk will not work.

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2009, 13:57.

News Comments > UO: Stygian Abyss Next Month, Beta This Week
6. Re: UO: Stygian Abyss Next Month, Beta T Aug 12, 2009, 14:30 Hanneth

The subscriber base is somewhere between 300k-400k. Last they said it was closer 300k. Though with how shoddy the new client is I'll probably leave again and I imagine it will loose them other long term customers that they keep cheating.  

News Comments > BioWare/Mythic Interview
11. Can You Say EA Online? Jun 28, 2009, 14:56 Hanneth

*Marked Rant, read at your own peril*

It's classic EA, say you aren't going to change anything, then make some small changes and a few years later completely wipe out the brand.
Origin, Jane's Flight Simulators, Bullfrog are just some of the good quality names they've snuffed out.

Don't try to kid yourself that EA has changed, they've proven time and time again and are continuing to prove that they aren't interested in changing their ways. Just look at UO. Kingdom Reborn was the future of UO, they thew out an incomplete pile of crud, then didn't work on it for almost a year, now they are replacing it with the Stygian Abyss. Sure SA is based on the same code, but it's quite different and us subscribers that have been paying for all this have been getting nothing. Actually the UO3D client that existed before had more than SA and SA is moving towards what they already had with UO3D.

Then we have The Sims 3, where the day of release they already have all this "extra" content you can purchase. While the main game that was in stores had less content then The Sims 2 was released with.

EA is all about greed. They don't care about their customers, employees or quality, all they want is money.

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2009, 14:57.

News Comments > America's Army 3 Released
24. ROE Jun 17, 2009, 17:41 Hanneth

Is it realistic where if the person doesn't meet ROE we can torture them instead?  

48 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo