Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bucky

Real Name Bucky   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Game handle: Ventus
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com
Signed On Aug 20, 2003, 21:03
Total Comments 2329 (Senior)
User ID 18104

User comment history
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire
32. Re: No subject Feb 4, 2008, 23:35 Bucky

it is worse that their fan-base steals from them.

Please don't include people like Surf in your definition of 'fan base'. It's insulting to the rest of us, especially when everything that was said boils down to 'I pirate because I can't wait.'

Ugh. I shouldn't even have responded.

Back on topic.

Can anyone give me a quick breakdown of the three races? For example, one's defensive minded and economic, etc. I'm sure I'll get a feel for 'em all eventually, but I'd like to learn with the one that'll best fit my play style.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Woot... Feb 4, 2008, 22:25 Bucky

IIRC they plan on a demo, about a month from now. I believe their first order of business was getting the game out, then they'll work on the demo. Edit: That's just what I picked up lurking the Sins forums, so take all of that with a large grain of salt. I already have the full game, so my level of interest in a demo isn't very high.

Re: The tutorials. They seem a bit sparse to me (all 4 of them taken together) but I think it's just the sheer volume of information that is provided at a glance that is the really overwhelming part. Fortunately a single player game with no one except pirates and neutrals is a great way to settle in, and the tooltips (esp. the info cards) are a huge help.

Now that I've started to get a feel for the game it's coming easier, and having all the info available is damn handy.

Congrats to Ironclad on a game very, very well done. This is one that's gonna consume my life.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 22:27.

9. Re: Woot... Feb 4, 2008, 20:51 Bucky

err.. where can i find info on how you can outfit your ships? That's something I am really interested in.

It's only with specific things, either through research provided abilities (for instance, some scouts can drop sensor pods onto planets) or through veteran upgrades in the capital ships which are a set of choices based on the ship and race; things like mass driver upgrades or shield upgrades, for instance. From my limited experience the cap ship upgrades tend to be pretty powerful, but are limited by anti-matter quantities (or are weaker if it is a passive always-on effect).

As for the where, I'd assume a wiki will be popping up for this game soon enough. If you have the game you can find it in the manual, either the paper version or the .pdf buried inside the game directory.

6. Re: Woot... Feb 4, 2008, 20:16 Bucky

Thankfully you can start single player games just by yourself. I think I forgot to turn off neutral players so the other planets are defended, but it's a good way to get a feel for the game. Unfortunately when it's just you there no other target for pirate attacks...

I'm enjoying it so far, even if I really don't have much of an idea about what I'm doing. The empire tree really does make controlling things a lot easier, and watching my units do things the smart way (no micro!) is a freakin' dream come true.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: No subject Feb 4, 2008, 18:19 Bucky

Heh, just playing through the tutorials I can already tell that they barely scratch the surface. It's probably going to take me a few games against an easy AI just to get settled in.

Oh the horror of it all.

28. Re: No subject Feb 4, 2008, 17:57 Bucky

My Sins folder is 1.5 GB.  

26. Re: No subject Feb 4, 2008, 17:19 Bucky

And what's ICO?

IronClad Online. It's their game lobby. It does not share your normal Stardock account, it's entirely seperate (and in a strange bit of oversight by Stardock it doesn't just pull in the CD Key from SDC).

Back to the tutorial. I had to quit (I would not recommend beginning your siege when it tells you to--wait until after you've taken out that annoying gauss cannon.)

23. Re: No subject Feb 4, 2008, 16:46 Bucky

Let me know if you can play, or if we have to wait until tomorrow...

Just had it running. I just popped back out to grab the CD Key off of my email so that I can create an ICO account, then it's off to the tutorials.

If you've got a good rig, check the effects settings as they are a bit tame by default.

19. Re: No subject Feb 4, 2008, 15:48 Bucky

Got my Stardock serials! WHOOOOOOOOO!

Just got home, and Sins is up on SDC. Downloading now. Go faster! Edit: That isn't to say that I'm getting crappy speeds; it's actually got my 5MBit cable maxed.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 15:49.

News Comments > New Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor Beta
8. Re: GCII... Feb 2, 2008, 16:10 Bucky

One of the things that has impressed me most about Stardock is their post-release support. It's enough just in terms of bug fixing and tweaks, but what's more impressive is that they actually budget time and money for post-release updates like new content and features.

Ironclad is doing the same thing with Sins, with a 0-day 'patch' coming out that will add new stuff.

I have to fight the urge to install Sins beta 4 though; I really want to play it. I guesss I'll fire up the TA beta to keep me quiet.

News Comments > New Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor Beta
2. Re: No subject Feb 2, 2008, 12:38 Bucky

You shouldn't even need the keys, just fire up Stardock Central (or refresh it if it's already running) and download to your hearts content. At least, that's what I did. I don't think I ever did get keys for either. Edit2: Apparently I did get the keys in my email, I just didn't pay attention to it since SDC updated with them. I'd try that first, and if SDC isn't showing the games as available fire off an email to Stardock.

You can get into the GC2:TA beta right away. The Sins beta is still listed in SDC but is unavailable, though Sins should show up in your purchased games listing. I take that back, I just fired opened up SDC and the Sins beta is downloading, though I'm not going to bother playing it seeing as how the final is two days away (Current digital ETA is late Monday).

Edit: As for the when, I pre-ordered about 10 days ago.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 12:42.

27. Re: No subject Feb 1, 2008, 16:41 Bucky

Anyone remember when Microsoft was running their Windows Feedback program promo a few months ago? Basically if you let MS track your usage for 3 months they'd give you a free copy of Vista Ultimate, Office Ultimate or a couple of other pretty good deals. They actually ended it early because word got out and a ton of people were signing up for it.

I just got an email telling me that I made it in before the cutoff date. Now that I've already picked up Vista Home Premium is it worth getting tracked for 3 months?

List of available stuff:
Vista Ultimate
Office Ultimate 07
Money Plus Premium
Student with Encarta Premium 08
Streets and Trips 08

News Comments > Gold - Sins of a Solar Empire
13. Re: No subject Jan 29, 2008, 21:02 Bucky

where can i find gameplay videos? i dont see any on the site. I see pics.. but no vids

Look at the news posts. There are several; a dev video blog being the latest along with a clip from X-Play when Brad showed the game a bit further down the page. I'm pretty sure there are several floating around the forums as well, but those are from older betas of the game. Your best bet would be the latest news posts.

Anything Stardock made/published should be insta-buy, even without knowing what it's supposed to be. Great community support and interaction, great games, high levels of polish, phenomenal post-release support (both patches and new content), online updating and delivery, NO DRM, very relaxed license (you own it, stick it on any computer you own, such as a laptop and a desktop).

Yeah, I'm a Stardock fanboy. Damn proud of it, too.

News Comments > Gold - Sins of a Solar Empire
4. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire... Jan 29, 2008, 17:48 Bucky

I literally just finished watching the Gamespot video blog that Brad did for the game....and damn, I want it. It's already pre-ordered, but I want it now.

We're gonna need to get some huge 10 player FFA match going.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Update - New CTF Map
1. Woah Jan 25, 2008, 20:33 Bucky

Haven't played TF2 in weeks, but I'm gonna fire it up right now.

Meh, it isn't that much different from cp_well. The biggest difference I've noticed is that they created an entry point to the upper battlements right inside the sliding doors inside each base.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 20:41.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. No subject Jan 25, 2008, 20:30 Bucky

So, for the first time since the buyout way back when I tuned into G4tv to check out X-Play, specifically for their hands-on with Sins of a Solar Empire with Brad Wardell showing it off.

I haven't quite stopped drooling yet. I've also now pre-ordered it, along with GCII: Twilight of the Arnor. And while I was at it I picked up Object Desktop and ObjectDock Plus. Stardock owns me...

It was nice to see them take some shots at Fox as well, and even make some good points, even if they were the same thing everyone else has been saying. You'd think the sheer volume of intelligent protest would get Fox to retract the story, but then again that would require brains and integrity, neither of which seems to be in great supply there.

Edit(s): Too excited about Sins. I can't type tonight.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 20:32.

News Comments > Gold - NA SunAge
4. Re: No subject Jan 24, 2008, 16:44 Bucky

Thats pretty piss poor reporting imho. But as Rodney Dangerfield used to say, "No Offense".

Searches, both via Blue's or Google yield surprisingly relevant results....you know, things like the website, screenshots, and about a zillion delay announcement. Instead of bitching, do a search. It would have been faster and easier.

I gotta admit though, article tags would be a godsend. Click on say, the 'SunAge' tag and have all those articles appear. I would imagine that this would require some work on the site, and it would be a nightmare when it came to tagging the archives.

20. Re: had enough of Vista Jan 21, 2008, 16:57 Bucky

On the other end of the spectrum, I haven't had *any* problems with Vista. So far it's ran as stable as XP did, albeit slightly slower. But even the slowdown is minimal. I guess I'm just lucky ...

Nor have I, and I'm running Vista 64. I actually find it faster, and have been very happy with it overall. I haven't even booted into Linux in two weeks, now that's saying something.

I did have an issue when I tried overclocking where it kept giving me a BSD on boot, but I haven't tried since and am not sure if it was a fluke thing or a more serious problem. I think I've got a memory stick on it way out anyway, which is where I believe the error came from.

On the CPU EIST issue---leave it on. It doesn't hurt performance any. If you really want to check it just grab the trial version of Everest, you'll note that the CPU goes back to the full multiplier as soon as it's needed.

Edit: I just re-read that. Did I just say that Vista has kept me away from Linux?! The Devil must be giving ice skating lessons...
---
Xfire/Steam: GreySpire (alias Bucky)
http://fedoraproject.org/
This comment was edited on Jan 21, 17:01.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Left 4 Summer
8. Re: ... Jan 11, 2008, 23:22 Bucky

Let's all face it: Valve can't hit any sort of release date. However, this is perfectly fine by me as they always release highly polished and complete games. I've never played a Valve game that felt like a beta.

Valve, take as long as you'd like.

---

News Comments > GalCiv2: Twilight of the Arnor Delay
19. Re: master of orion 2 is still better Jan 7, 2008, 22:41 Bucky

I have to agree with all the positive comments here. Stardock is a class act all the way. They treat their customers very well, have great community interaction and and have an excellent game philosophy. Oh, and lets not forget the most important part: they make freakin' awesome games. The number of games that reside on my drive for years is very small, and GalCivII made that list the first time I played it.

Stardock is the only company that I will buy from without a second thought, and even if I don't get a demo. Heck, I'd probably buy their next game whether or not it's even a genre I like!

Of course, with this announcement I'm going to have a really hard time staying away from the pre-order. I've been trying to wait until the full game was out so that I could get the polished experience from the get-go, but it's becoming increasingly hard to be patient. I'm not gonna make it to March.

---

2329 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 45.
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo