Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bucky

Real Name Bucky   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Game handle: Ventus
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com
Signed On Aug 20, 2003, 21:03
Total Comments 2330 (Senior)
User ID 18104

User comment history
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Sound cards Apr 8, 2008, 21:45 Bucky

Just in case anyone is curious....

I impulse bought the new Asus Xonar DX sound card the other day, figuring my Sennheiser HD 555 headphones could use some loving. I wasn't expecting much, having been satisfied with the onboard Realtek ALC883 solution (a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 board)...but I've gotta say: wow. The sound difference is amazing, to the point where I'd never go back to an on-board solution.

Other positive notes: A real use for a PCI-E slot, solid drivers for Vista 64, an easy to use, responsive, and feature rich sound control panel, front audio panel header.

Side notes: This card requires extra power, and it uses a floppy connector to get it. It doesn't include an adapter either, but fortunately I don't have a floppy drive, so no problem there. There's also no pin-out chart for the front panel header, which is gonna give me a headache since my Thermaltake Aguila case made all of the pins individual instead of one solid connector. Damn.

One last huge plus: It's not made by Creative.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Demigod on Impulse
16. Re: No subject Apr 7, 2008, 16:57 Bucky

I won't bother making any comments about the piracy issue other than to say that I agree with Stardock's position 100%. Brad Wardell has made the arguments better than I could, and he's done it several times. If that isn't enough, he's stepped up to the plate and proved it time and again with their games and with their other software (Windowblinds, etc).

Stardock stands behind everything they put out and treats their customers right. This is the first time I've heard of Demigod, and without knowing anything about the game (other than what's in this news post) I'll buy it--if for no other reason than Stardock has always treated me right.

On a related note, I was wondering when Impluse was gonna hit. It's actually shown in the Sins manual; I had figured it would get out the door sonner.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Creative Mar 31, 2008, 14:58 Bucky

Creative's drivers have sucked since Windows 3.1. They have been a constant source of system instability for the Windows world and their "support" is infamous for its nonexistence.

QFT.

I recently picked up a good pair of headphones and can hear the difference a sound card makes now, yet I'm still using the onboard sound in my rig--just because I despise Creative so much. I'll probably pick up the Asus Xonar DX....just as soon as I can find it somewhere.

Edit: Browsing around, the HT Omega looks nice...

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 15:18.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire Patch & Expansion Plans
13. Re: No subject Mar 19, 2008, 14:50 Bucky

+1 Post of Loving (again)

For anyone still on the fence about this, there should be a demo out soon as the plans were to put out the 1.03 patch, demo, then 1.04. Though seriously, you should just buy it.

News Comments > Sins Sells
19. Re: boring game! Mar 18, 2008, 14:59 Bucky

Sins is good, but Galciv 2's expansion is what I'm really waiting for.

Agreed, though I already own GCII + both expansions (haven't touched the beta though) and Sins. I even went out and picked up Object Desktop and ObjectDock Plus from Stardock--sure, I was interested in both but I really just wanted to support them some more.

I'm going to have to start a new SP game to try out the updated AI.

Oh, and +1 Love for Stardock and IronClad.

Edit: Just noticed this, haven't read it yet but I'm sure it's worth the read. Stardock's take on Piracy: http://forums.galciv2.com/303512

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 15:12.

News Comments > Hellgate London Patch
2. No subject Mar 17, 2008, 16:21 Bucky

I don't know why, but I continue to be interested in this game. Is there anyone here who's played it that can comment on it?

Note: I'm not looking for comments on their business model. We've already been through that enough times.

Thanks!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2008, 14:47 Bucky

I'll just back up the important stuff (read: game saves) and then install it. As long as it doesn't break anything critical (read: games) I'll be happy.  

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire Patch Notes
9. Re: First Game Mar 12, 2008, 15:22 Bucky

the damn pirates still elude my defenses though.. i need to stack em deeper i think.

The way I see it, defenses aren't meant to be able to hold a system without fleet support. Instead they act as a deterrent while you get a fleet over to help with defense. Still, a heavily fortified system can fend off most pirate raids with no fleet support and only minimal losses, but don't expect that to be the case against another player (AI or Human)

PJIs got a boost! Woo! This actually makes chokepoints a LOT more important now, since they can't be quickly bypassed. Also liking the two frigate 'nerfs'.

News Comments > BioShock 2 Confirmed
2. Re: No subject Mar 11, 2008, 18:25 Bucky

So you don't want a sequel to a great game? I was hoping for a prequel, but hey, you can't have it all.

Oh, and without the sarcasm:

Woohoo! A sequel!

News Comments > Company of Heroes Patch
22. Re: Oh well Mar 5, 2008, 17:53 Bucky

I agree with Tumbler 100%. Stardock does things right, as does Valve. You aren't going to stop the pirates, plain and simple. Instead, make game updates and patches only available to those with uniquely registered account keys. Better still, copy Stardock and do more than simply patch the game, actually budget in the time and money to create a significant game update; be it in new features, updated AI, better graphics, new quests, whatever.

In a perfect world this wouldn't need to happen; you wouldn't have to create an after purchase value for your customer. Unfortunately there's a great many low-lifes out there that attempt to justify pirating though old, worn out excuses like the 'lack of a demo'. Gamers as a whole have the false belief that they are entitled to everything, and with the complete lack of penalty for piracy it only makes their delusional rationalization that much easier on them.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: No subject Mar 3, 2008, 16:19 Bucky

I'm waiting on the Witcher--I'll pick up the updated version they plan on putting out this summer. I'd rather play with all the updated stuff. Having it sitting next to me won't make that possible. I've still got enough to keep me busy, and for some crazy reason I picked up CoD4 last week. I've been losing many hours to the multiplayer since then.

Un-related headphone note:

Just got my Sennheiser 555 set in, having blown out my HD 280 Pros and absolutely hating the HD 465 set I picked up in a pinch. I decided to give Sennheiser another chance (I loved my HD 280s) and I'm damn glad I did. These things are amazing, even before they've 'burned-in'. Incredibly comfortable too, even with a fat head and wearing glasses. The only legitimate gripe people may have is that they are open-air and there is a significant amount of sound bleed-through, though it doesn't matter to me in the least.

I think I'll go test drive these things through some CoD4 now.

News Comments > PC Mass Effect May 6
14. Re: Not buying it.... Feb 26, 2008, 16:17 Bucky

KotOR, iirc, was a port as well and it's easily one of my favorite games of all time. KotOR 2 only gets bad marks because of all the unfinished potential. Jade Empire, another post-console release port was pretty good too.

Yeah, I'll be pre-ordering this. Any word on if this'll reach Steam?

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire Q&A
2. Re: No subject Feb 23, 2008, 18:39 Bucky

Buy it through Stardock online. You'll get what they refer to as the Collectors Edition, be able to download it immediately, and then get the hard copy a few days later. Granted it might be a bit more than you can find elsewhere, but it's worth it.

Of course I'm assuming you've got the bandwidth for the download (it weighs in at a bit over 2GB iirc) and that you live in a place where this is possible.

News Comments > PC Mass Effect in May
63. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2008, 17:30 Bucky

Sweet. BioWare is the reason I have so much trouble staying away from consoles year after year, though I'm always confident that if I distract myself long enough we'll get a good port.

*starts JE downloading on Steam* I'd been meaning to play through it again....

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Gah Feb 11, 2008, 18:27 Bucky

That means I've been up all night! Damn you Sins of a Solar Empire! I thought it was only 1am Now its almost time for work...I'm so screwed.

Yeah, I'm already suffering due to that game. My last full match (which was also my first) lasted nearly 7 hours against 3 AI--though I was taking it very slow. Once they buff the PJIs (and they need to) I'm really screwed as then my turtle-like instincts will really get a boost.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire Patch
15. Re: No subject Feb 9, 2008, 11:50 Bucky

I don't personally think the omission of a campaign is any big deal. I've played GalCivII (and the expansions) a LOT and I've never once played the campaign. I personally prefer sandbox games with random maps.  

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire Patch
5. Re: Game's been out five days Feb 9, 2008, 01:14 Bucky

IronClad, you guys are awesome.

I fixed it for ya. And I thought I was the drunk one...

News Comments > Morning Q&As
7. Re: RG Feb 8, 2008, 20:06 Bucky

I prefer co-op myself... The only question I have is how well multiplayer will play out? Most of my SP games have gone a minimum of 6 hours, with the bigger maps taking almost twice as long. That's a lot of time to commit to a MP game.

Such is the beauty of the fact that multiplayer games can be saved.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
3. Re: RG Feb 8, 2008, 16:00 Bucky

Speaking of Sins, if anyone wants to get together for a match, look me up through Xfire. I'd prefer a Co-op match (a few humans VS AI) since I tend to suck at RTS games and I'm still learning Sins.  

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire Patch Plans
33. Re: So far so good Feb 7, 2008, 18:40 Bucky

Amazing, Surf. You created a post that sounded like it was written by a 13 year old with an impulse control problem while simultaneously referring to yourself as 'evolved'.

I'd ask if you see the flaw in your reasoning there, but given some of your other posts it is already quite clear that reason is not something you're comfortable with.

Back on Topic:

I'm glad they're lowering the Siege Frigate HP, and I'm really glad they've upped the Pirate timer, though I saw a post by one of the IronClad guys (Blair, I think) in which he was making the argument that the Pirates should be made a touch more powerful to compensate for the frequency reduction, which I agree with. I'm a bit of an economic turtle, so Pirates are a great way for me to get back at those annoying AIs that think they can demand money from me just because I don't have the biggest standing army.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 18:42.

2330 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo