Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bucky

Real Name Bucky   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Game handle: Ventus
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com
Signed On Aug 20, 2003, 21:03
Total Comments 2327 (Senior)
User ID 18104

User comment history
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Q&As
12. Re: Valve on DX10 May 15, 2008, 18:51 Bucky

Add Steam games to the Vista Games Explorer with ratings info and high resolution icons.

Please God no. I freakin' hate that little 'games explorer'.

Regarding DX10, companies like Valve and Stardock have it right, and are successful. Meanwhile you've got Epic making a game no one wants anymore* and Crytek making a game no one can play** and both predicting the death of PC gaming. (Edit: And blaming it on piracy instead of the fact that no one wants their product)

*Some people enjoy old school DM. I did, in fact, buy UT3 and enjoy it.
**Mostly in reference to posted screenshots and such. Why show off this great graphics engine when no one can play at those settings?

This comment was edited on May 15, 18:52.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New NVIDIA ForceWare Drivers
10. Re: No subject May 14, 2008, 06:24 Bucky

I can guess that it's because the card doesn't know how to control its fan speed (that's why I flashed mine).

Correct. Mine will still hit 74C under gaming conditions without the fan speed ever moving from 29%. You can set it manually in the nVidia control panel, with Rivatuner, or using the EVGA Precision overclocking software that they just released.

I need to continue to look into it and see if there's something I can do to fix it.

News Comments > New NVIDIA ForceWare Drivers
1. No subject May 13, 2008, 22:31 Bucky

Gah, installed these two days ago in beta form after flashing my 8800GT. Probably no point in getting the WHGL'ed ones since the version numbers match.  

News Comments > Age of Conan Getting Very Testy
25. Re: Age of Conan May 13, 2008, 16:20 Bucky

I don't follow hype and don't cruise forums for games pre-release. I simply check out the website, maybe a preview or two, and try to get a feel for the game. AoC looks like I'll enjoy it, and I've had a CE preorder since early April.

I've got 4 trial keys left unspoken for. Fellow guildies from GW get first shot (if any are left alive) with fellow BNers next. I'll probably drop into one of the patch threads post launch to try and hand them out if I've still got any left.

News Comments > Age Of Conan Pre-Orders/Early Access Changes
3. Re: I like it! May 5, 2008, 22:09 Bucky

Haven't touched any of the betas, though my pre-order is still in place. Haven't had a MMO addiction since Guild Wars...  

News Comments > Full Age of Conan Pricing
16. Re: Why are the Brit's getting hammered? May 2, 2008, 06:21 Bucky

What's this about a Beta starting in a few days? Is this the open Beta finnaly? If that's true where do I sign up??

Read as Fileplanet subscriber beta. The 'open beta' name has a lot of people thinking the same thing.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor
3. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 15:50 Bucky

Woo! Been holding off on the betas, time to lose many, many more hours to this freakin' awesome game.

<Insert obligatory Stardock is great comments here>

News Comments > Out of the Blue
44. Re: Bats Apr 29, 2008, 16:36 Bucky

What's a GTA?

Seriously though, I've never played 'em. Any of them.

/runs

News Comments > Out of the Blue
32. Re: Ubuntu Released Apr 24, 2008, 21:08 Bucky

For those wanting to try out Ubuntu, here's the Window's installer

Better to just grab the LiveCD, if you like it drop it onto it's own small partition (which it'll even carve out at a size of your choosing for you).

I've actually got Synaptic chugging away right now, trying to pull in some of the basic stuff (flash, java, nvidia-glx-new,etc) but the servers are getting freakin' hammered right now. I'm not even gonna try for some of the goodies like Compiz Fusion and AWN for a few days, at least until their servers stop crying.

Heh...total memory usage with Synaptic and Firefox 3b5 running: 210.5 MB. The fonts still looks better than Windows (Vista included) too.

Now to see if anyone's whipped up a way to get sound out of the Xonar DX.

Edit: Meh, GNOME still irritates me (anyone that suggests Kubuntu will be shot). I'll keep playing with it, but I'm really waiting for openSUSE 11 in a couple of months, though I'll likely check out Fedora 9 too.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 21:31.

News Comments > Gold - Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures
25. Re: lite Apr 22, 2008, 17:53 Bucky

IMHO 30GB is just ridiculous.

As was multiple floppies, then multiple CDs, DVDs, etc. You get the idea---or maybe you don't, given the gripe about space requirements. I mean, if you have a $3700 gaming beast and yet don't have enough hard drive space, or are unwilling to part with it, then that $3700 beast might as well be a $1000 laptop.

but I assume that version we played is the version that just went gold

From everything I've seen the PvP weekend was a beta client that is several months old; it was setup more as a hardware stress test than anything else.

He's an idiot.

Actually I represent most gamers.

Edit: Tag fix

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 17:55.

News Comments > Age of Conan System Requirements
27. Re: Pre-order Apr 21, 2008, 16:04 Bucky

Anyone planning on pre-ordering for the mammoth mount, don't order it from GoGamer. I was about to and noticed that unlike all the other retailers, they did not list the mount as one of the pre-order perks, so I sent them a mail asking if they forgot to put that down. They said that they did not in fact include it and that was why they were $5 cheaper.

So, no mounts from GoGamer. What about the bow? I'm about to cancel my preorder there if they don't include any of it.

News Comments > TF2: Meet the Scout Trailer
9. Re: It's great Apr 20, 2008, 15:21 Bucky

I would love to see a full blown movie by Valve with all the classes.

It would be sure to cause a riot among those who still have a hatred for all things that cost money, but I'd pay for a movie like that.

Maybe I'll get back into TF2 now, CoD4 has worn really thin on me. Playing CoD4 also reminds me of why there are no grenades in TF2...

Is it just me, or have the facial animations gotten even better?

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: No subject Apr 19, 2008, 22:12 Bucky

Or his cable has proven less reliable than the dsl.  

News Comments > Project Origin Trailers
7. Re: Consolitis Apr 19, 2008, 11:55 Bucky

Uh.....what? Fear runs just fine on Vista, on a 24" widescreen LCD no less

For some reason I have trouble. A switch from XP to Vista 64 with no hardware changes resulted in a literal slideshow at any setting for me. I finally gave up, though I still think it was something sound related.

News Comments > Project Origin Trailers
2. Re: Consolitis Apr 18, 2008, 19:41 Bucky

I just wish I could get FEAR to work on Vista. I have some horrible performance issues that I can't seem to resolve.  

News Comments > Age of Conan Presales
18. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2008, 22:13 Bucky

Without going through the post history, this is at least twice now that I've seen smashtinator post that link with the same negative comments. Both times people have followed the link and pointed out that the posts there aren't quite as negative as you seem to believe they are.

PropheT, you may have just won the post of the year award. I'll nominate you right now.

I'm actually thinking about picking up the CE. I realized the other day that I'm in need of an MMO again, and this looks pretty good. I've also never ordered a CE of any game, so it'll be a nice impulse buy (though still not as good as the Asus Xonar DX impulse buy last week). Of course, this may just be due to latent sparkley-hands envy from Guild Wars....

4. Re: Sound cards Apr 9, 2008, 17:10 Bucky

What's not to love?

The price. Also the fact that Auzentech is basically using Creative drivers that they've modified, but we won't count that one since Auzentech has a good driver record.

1. Sound cards Apr 8, 2008, 21:45 Bucky

Just in case anyone is curious....

I impulse bought the new Asus Xonar DX sound card the other day, figuring my Sennheiser HD 555 headphones could use some loving. I wasn't expecting much, having been satisfied with the onboard Realtek ALC883 solution (a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 board)...but I've gotta say: wow. The sound difference is amazing, to the point where I'd never go back to an on-board solution.

Other positive notes: A real use for a PCI-E slot, solid drivers for Vista 64, an easy to use, responsive, and feature rich sound control panel, front audio panel header.

Side notes: This card requires extra power, and it uses a floppy connector to get it. It doesn't include an adapter either, but fortunately I don't have a floppy drive, so no problem there. There's also no pin-out chart for the front panel header, which is gonna give me a headache since my Thermaltake Aguila case made all of the pins individual instead of one solid connector. Damn.

One last huge plus: It's not made by Creative.

News Comments > Demigod on Impulse
16. Re: No subject Apr 7, 2008, 16:57 Bucky

I won't bother making any comments about the piracy issue other than to say that I agree with Stardock's position 100%. Brad Wardell has made the arguments better than I could, and he's done it several times. If that isn't enough, he's stepped up to the plate and proved it time and again with their games and with their other software (Windowblinds, etc).

Stardock stands behind everything they put out and treats their customers right. This is the first time I've heard of Demigod, and without knowing anything about the game (other than what's in this news post) I'll buy it--if for no other reason than Stardock has always treated me right.

On a related note, I was wondering when Impluse was gonna hit. It's actually shown in the Sins manual; I had figured it would get out the door sonner.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Creative Mar 31, 2008, 14:58 Bucky

Creative's drivers have sucked since Windows 3.1. They have been a constant source of system instability for the Windows world and their "support" is infamous for its nonexistence.

QFT.

I recently picked up a good pair of headphones and can hear the difference a sound card makes now, yet I'm still using the onboard sound in my rig--just because I despise Creative so much. I'll probably pick up the Asus Xonar DX....just as soon as I can find it somewhere.

Edit: Browsing around, the HT Omega looks nice...

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 15:18.

2327 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 43.
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo