Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bucky

Real Name Bucky   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Game handle: Ventus
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com
Signed On Aug 20, 2003, 21:03
Total Comments 2330 (Senior)
User ID 18104

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. No subject Jun 19, 2008, 21:04 Bucky

Huh....AMD might be getting my money pretty soon. I've gotten away from buying bleeding edge graphics cards and prefer to go midrange now....the 4850 looks to be the card of choice there. That probably wouldn't be enough to drive me away from Nvidia, but the Linux support will be.

*looks at utorrent*

Oh good, openSUSE 11.0 just finished.

Edit: If only Asus would get some driver support out for their sound cards now. openSUSE 11.0 is shipping with ALSA 1.0.16 and support for the Xonar DX isn't in there, damn. Guess I'll have to install the 1.0.17rc2.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 21:10.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Pyro Patch
11. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 20:02 Bucky

*sigh*

I was gonna start getting back into TF2, unfortunately the Pyro became my favorite class not long before I took a break from TF2. And now this.

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome. I'm just gonna have to play another class until the next class update.

News Comments > Metaverse
9. Re: tab extensions Jun 18, 2008, 06:18 Bucky

That's the one extension I used that didn't carry over, bit disappointed about that. It was really nice to be able to just middle click to reopen a closed tab...  

News Comments > Stardock's Impulse Launches
25. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 17:35 Bucky

If more companies do this pretty soon we will need run a different steam like program for every game we play.

Depends on how it's designed. I only tend to fire up Impulse after a long period of inactivity to check for updates. Other than that, it isn't needed and doesn't launch when you execute a program (GCII, for instance). Steam, on the other hand, basically demands that it be running to access the library. It irritates me to no end, but it's really not a big deal.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Firefox Download Day Jun 17, 2008, 17:15 Bucky

Don't forget, today is Firefox download day.

I'm very interested to see how many downloads it hits. I'm running on Firefox 3 right now (and playing with Opera 9.5 too), though I think Firefox wins for the same reason it did when I switched over from Opera way back when: extensions. With the exception of Tab Mix Plus every extension I had installed works fine, though I did need to get an updated version (automagically) of EasyGestures.

Edit: Also, much faster. Still not sure if it's Opera fast, but it's damn close.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 17:16.

17. Big Deal Jun 17, 2008, 16:56 Bucky

From Brad's blog post about the Impulse release, and a HUGE deal (IMO as well):

Impulse, for instance, supports refunds for users having technical issues. That's a pretty big deal IMO. As far as I know, that will be unique to Impulse.

http://frogboy.impulsedriven.net/article/315154/Brads_Impulse_Launch_Review

8. Re: ... Jun 17, 2008, 16:00 Bucky

I've been using Impulse for a month or two now. Transition from SDC to Impulse (in beta) was seamless, and I own GCII+expansions, Sins, ObjectDock Plus and Object Desktop. In other words, a lot of programs to recognize. Did it all flawlessly.

The UI is a huge improvement, other than that I like it for the same reasons I liked SDC; it seems to be a bit less intrusive and demanding than Steam (side note: I have no issue with Steam).

I think where Stardock may get a jump on Valve is in the area of non-gaming application distribution, though it'll remain to be seen.

News Comments > Age of Conan Plans
33. Re: Sooo.....? Jun 13, 2008, 16:01 Bucky

I enjoyed the game, made it to the mid-30s with a Bear Shaman on Thog (PvE). Graphics were damn good, I personally thought the sound was excellent and I never hit the grind (though I probably never got high enough).

It really does feel like Guild Wars on steroids. And yes, there are bugs, but Funcom has been really good about getting them sorted out in order of importance.

The only reason I quit is because MMOs just don't fit my gaming style anymore, which sucks, because I really like AoC. I may spend a week glued to the computer and another never touching it; I can't manage to justify $15 a month playing like that.

News Comments > TF2 Pyro Update Plans
6. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2008, 19:34 Bucky

The problem isn't the achievements, it's that Valve is releasing them one class at a time, which results in extended periods of stat whoring. I'd rather they just unload 'em all at once, that way people can pretty much stick to their preferred class and we can have games that don't involve everyone running around with the melee weapon out.

---
Xfire/Steam: GreySpire (alias Bucky)
Age of Conan: Arthon [The Nation] -- Thog(PvE)

News Comments > Game Guidance
7. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 23:16 Bucky

8800GT stock
E6600 2.4 @ 3.0
4 GB DDR2-800 @866
Xonar DX
Vista 64

1680*1050, High, 16x AF no AA, NPC view distance turned up a bit I get 30-40fps in cities 40-60 outside. Good, especially when you consider how good the game looks.

Note: Didn't read the article, just figured I'd drop the info for anyone interested. My rig is definitely not top of the line anymore, hell, I built it a 1.5 years ago when Conroe first shipped (even had to buy OEM since you couldn't get retail at the time).

---

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Trusted Reviews Jun 4, 2008, 16:42 Bucky

I need to write up a good long review of this game, but the short version is that after about 75 hours of play I've joined a guild and plan on subscribing.

I have two important pieces of advice for anyone new to the game: stay the hell away from the forums (nothing but whiners in there atm) and you need to play a class to 25-30 before you can really get a feel for it. For example, my Bear Shaman didn't do shit for healing until about 20, and levels 10-20 were pure hell. With that said, I heal and fight with a 2H blunt weapon and do significant damage. The Bear Shaman might be my favorite class in any RPG ever.

---
This comment was edited on Jun 4, 16:43.

News Comments > Unreal Tournament 3 Patch Notes
9. Re: ... Jun 3, 2008, 17:07 Bucky

I thoroughly enjoyed UT3, and still fire it up when I want a good game of DM....though it's only against bots. They didn't learn from how fractured UT2k4's community was; all the modes and mods split it far too much. IMO UT3 should've shipped with a decent SP tourney (think 2k4 but more) DM, TDM, LMS and TLMS. They should've kept to their roots, too many other companies out there making games focusing on other game modes and doing it better.  

News Comments > Tech Bits
10. Re: No subject May 25, 2008, 06:59 Bucky

i'm guessing i'm the only person in the world who's happy with Vista.

Surprisingly, I am as well. I've been running 64bit Home Premium for about 6 months now without any problems. There were the initial annoyances that were easily turned off, and of course a small performance hit to some games (we're talking about 5 fps). Otherwise it's been rock solid, driver support hasn't been an issue, and it actually stopped me from using Linux as my daily desktop OS.

The only thing that gave me any problem was overclocking; Vista seems to be a lot more sensitive to memory errors. Of course, this helped me realize that my Corsair XMS2 did not play well with my motherboard. Swapped to some OCZ with heatpipes (hey, DDR2 is ridiculously cheap right now) and everything is fine again....especially after I checked it with multiple full passes of memtest86.

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: how am I to? May 24, 2008, 21:50 Bucky

Then in the last 24 hours the first guy hit level 80, in 4 days 15 hours.

There were some exploits that allowed for really fast leveling. I believe it was only for the PoM class, but I'm not positive.

I'm only at level 15 with my HoX, and this is doing the SP destiny quests which are designed to level a person to 20 fairly fast--I rolled the char this afternoon.

News Comments > Age of Conan Tips
36. Re: A lot of PvP strategy in this game. May 22, 2008, 21:20 Bucky

The amount of strategy when fighting other players is immense

Yup. I just spent a good chunk of time tonight on White Sands Isle, with about 20% dedicated to PvP (mostly fending off attacks, not starting them). I already enjoy hunting rogues way too much; they put too much faith in the hide ability. Some modest spending in perception and a quick search will show 'em, then drop a snare and lace into the guy since most of his dps from the sneak attack just disappeared. Course, I'm also playing as a HoX, so I snare 'em then polymorph. They usually run at that point unless they're higher level.

Also a lot of fun putting together a quick PUG for protection near common quest areas. Some poor sap will wander in and try for a quick kill only to have 3 or 4 people all jump him. Good times....

Edit: Cashan on Tyranny

This comment was edited on May 22, 21:22.

News Comments > Age of Conan Tips
22. Re: No subject May 22, 2008, 17:05 Bucky

Anyone know what payment options they have for the per month charges? I haven't been able to find anything on their website that lists it.

Recurring, in $:
1 Month: $14.99
3 Month: $41.97
6 Month: 77.94

These are taken directly off of my account page.

Edit: Or did you mean actual payment method? If so, Credit Card or Cash, cash using the following options: (again from my account page)

* Western Union
* Virtual Check
* Mail or FAX Your Check
* Money Order via Postal Service
* Paypoint
* paysafecard®
* Plus many local payment methods!

Edit 2: Freakin' loving this game. I just wish they'd give me my damn friend codes already! Gotta love how the preorder snafu worked out too....originally Gogamer got the shaft and wasn't going to be able to give out the special preorder items (Rhino, Mammoth or Bow) and their official statement still reflects that. My /claim gave me all the CE stuff plus a Bow and Rhino.

This comment was edited on May 22, 17:08.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: No subject May 21, 2008, 16:54 Bucky

Yeah, the downtime ate a huge post I had whipped up for the AoC thread too. Ah well, at least it got me to be a bit less windy the second time around.

This comment was edited on May 21, 16:55.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Age of Conan
38. Re: No subject May 21, 2008, 16:50 Bucky

Damnit, site went down when I hit post. Goodbye early review. Lets try again. I've been playing since Early Access on Saturday, though I haven't gone above level 11 (been trying to find my favorite class).

Game feels very polished, good UI, damn good looking and runs great considering the detail. Funcom has also been right on top of issues, and server performance even under heavy load is phenomenal--I was playing on Tyranny last night with no problem and it had a 5 minute que.

Audio is very good, from ambiance to NPC dialog. There are some minor key binding issues, but nothing big.

Quests seem pretty standard, though the single player night missions are a nice touch, and quite a bit of fun. It's also nice to have a story that feels tailored (somewhat) to the individual player.

I really like the new combat system. Adjusting your swing to their shielding, along with your own definitely makes a difference. I've also turned off all the auto combat help, which is great since I can adjust myself to hit several enemies with a single swing or spell.....but you can also miss trying to pull that off. I've yet to see higher combat, so I can't comment on spellweaving, higher level combos, or mounted combat yet.

I suppose the highest praise I can give this game is that I fired it up before work today, which is something I never do. Now I'm gonna go browse through my CE while I wait for the servers to come back up.

To any of the old Guild Wars guys, if you want a 7 day key I've got 4 left unspoken for. Just remember that 26+GB download.

News Comments > Age of Conan DX10 Delay
10. Re: No subject May 19, 2008, 21:48 Bucky

I knew that buying Age of Conan was stupid when I brought it home, but so far it just seems a little worse every day

It's actually very good, and the lack of DX10 is probably no great loss. Dropping DX10 looks like a fairly good move; the amount of DX10 rigs isn't that high (20% would be generous) and the performance hit vs extra eye candy isn't worth it.

I'd been hoping to do a comparison in a few minutes, but they just pushed the US server downtime up another 2 hours. Damnit!

News Comments > Age of Conan DX10 Delay
2. No subject May 19, 2008, 20:43 Bucky

As I mentioned earlier, I wonder what the early access client is running in with DX10 selected. I'm definitely seeing a performance hit, but I don't know how much extra eye candy I'm getting for it. Still can't log in and check either.....  

2330 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo