Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bucky

Real Name Bucky   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Game handle: Ventus
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com
Signed On Aug 20, 2003, 21:03
Total Comments 2330 (Senior)
User ID 18104

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

PC Gaming > Guild Wars 2 Guild
18. No subject Aug 24, 2012, 23:37 Bucky

Acleacius wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 23:03:
Anyone know if there is a good racial match for each the Necro, Elementalist and Mesmer? The wiki site has crashed and the main page isn't showing any details I can find.

Thanks for any tips.

Considering the whole Foefire/Ghosts of Ascalon thing, I personally think Humans are a great fit for the Necromancer. The only other lore I can remember offhand is that the Charr generally distrust magic, except for the Flame Legion, which happens to be fighting the rest of the Charr.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2012, 13:40 Bucky

Cutter wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 13:10:
And boo on Lance Armstrong. Always knew he was cheating.

P.S. Don't forget to update you GW2 clients for tonight, woot!

People always give me funny looks when they find out I'm a cyclist that doesn't watch the Tour de France or follow the sport in any way. Professional cycling makes the NFL and MLB look like saints. It's also incredibly boring to watch.

My GW2 client is up to date. I'm just spending my day staring at the countdown timer, enjoying the fact that it finally says 0 days.

13. No subject Aug 24, 2012, 00:48 Bucky

Acleacius wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 00:32:
Dades wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 16:05:
With a heavy emphasis on PvP in Guild Wars 2 I don't want to be worrying about stuff like that.
I've been trying to avoid all the media but damn is that right, it's design is heavily pvp? I thought their design was based more on updating Coop play. Sadly, a pvp design would mean a no sale for me and I was really looking forward to checking this out.

I think that's mistaken perception of the game. It has a strong focus on story and PvE as well as PvP and WvW. GW2 is really whatever you want it to be. I personally have little interest in any of the PvP aspects of the game, though I'll probably try them out at some point. I'm getting GW2 for the story, the exploration, and the community PvE that I've never seen in another game.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads
18. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 13:33 Bucky

Despoiler wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 13:17:
-The explorer gamer that I used to know has found its way back into MMOs. Anet has packed so much love, polish, and attention to detail into Tyria. The world is gorgeous and unique everywhere. There are so many things that make you go "wow that is cool."

-There is no holy trinity. You don't need a tank, a healer, and a dps. If you want to run a dungeon just group up with anyone and go do it. There is a way to accomplish anything with any class makeup. All classes have a self heal and can rez. Some classes are tankier or have a couple AoE heals, but there is no such thing as a dedicated X. Everyone can change their traits to add survivability, dps, or healing as they see fit, but they will be playing all roles.

These two points are huge for me. During the stress test last night I decided to explore a bit, walked through a waterfall where a 'mini' event spawned and gave me a low level zone boss to tackle. Just as I was starting to lose the fight a few other people joined in, and I welcomed the help. The best part? That area isn't shown on the map, even after I explored it. I'm going to lose a lot of time just exploring.

The death of the trinity is also fantastic. I actually intend to build my Warrior with a focus on banners to help support the group, and I love that I have the ability to focus any class how I want to.

9. No subject Aug 23, 2012, 12:26 Bucky

Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 10:30:
So then we're all in agreement? Separate servers for everyone!

If I end up purchasing GW2 I'll post my server here. Can guilds span servers or are we SOL if everyone splits apart?

Guilds can span servers. The only limitation is WvW participation.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads
1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 10:06 Bucky

I managed to get into the very short stress test last night, which at least stopped my hands from shaking. I can't wait for this game. There's a good chance that I won't sleep at all until sometime Saturday night.

Also, for anyone interested in a Blue's Guild, here's the thread.

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Rolling Out
32. Re: Diablo III Patch Rolling Out Aug 21, 2012, 13:43 Bucky

Tumbler wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 13:03:
There has got to be some awesome stories of people trying to tell the heads of this project...this doesn't work. This whole auction house thing you're shoehorning into this game is breaking everything. This game is 99% loot driven insta rewards, and you just fucked up the rewards. So now they're just killing things to pick up trash.

This is one of the core problems with D3. They did a lot to justify the always-online requirement, only to have most of it blow up in their faces. The AH breaks the loot, their own stats prove that multiplayer is in the minority, and the 8+ hr downtimes just to patch the game are ridiculous.

5. No subject Aug 18, 2012, 19:36 Bucky

The unofficial Guilds database, this will show what guilds have picked for a server. GW2Guilds. Keep in mind that there's a lot of talk of guilds intentionally selecting a server other than their intended destination in order to keep things under wraps, so take everything with a pile of salt.

I'm personally leaning toward Sanctum of Rall. Server selection of a Blue's Guild won't matter unless we wanted to participate in WvW.

My main is going to be a Charr Warrior. I managed to play all of the classes to about level 10 during the beta weekends, and the Warrior went from the bottom of my list to the top. I also had a lot of fun with the Engineer, so there's still a chance my main could switch.

I have no idea what professions I'll take, I didn't even look at that part of the game, and I've been trying to avoid most media about GW2.

News Comments > Stardock Sues Ex-Employee for $1M
10. Re: Stardock Sues Ex-Employee for $1M Aug 16, 2012, 12:18 Bucky

Ashley wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 11:17:
I kept my pre-ordered copy of Elemental and I look at it whenever I get the urge to pre-order a game.
I'm not joking. I really do.

I use my copy of Brink for that. I'll still pre-order, but now it's knowing full well what might happen.

News Comments > TF2 Comic Visits a Gray Area
5. Re: TF2 Comic Visits a Gray Area Aug 12, 2012, 21:34 Bucky

This inspired me to go and watch all of the "Meet the..." videos again, and damn, they still make me laugh.

"You call that breaking my spine? You Red team ladies wouldn't know how to.....AUGH! MY SPINE!" -Soldier, Meet the Sandvich

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2012, 13:44 Bucky

Silicon Avatar wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 12:44:
http://www.ustream.tv/NASAJPL

There's a NASA Ustream about the rover.

Space probes are pretty cool.

I took an interest in Curiosity when I saw it in the news a few weeks ago and I've been following it ever since. My jaw dropped when I saw the EDL plan, I figured this thing had a high likelihood of adding another crater to Mars. It's a testament to everyone that worked on the project that not only did everything work, it worked to near perfection.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 5, 2012, 16:57 Bucky

I got dragged back into Battlefield 3, so I used the code to pick up the premium pack. I do feel a bit dirty, though.

Borderlands 2 will probably be a Winter Sale purchase. With Guild Wars 2 around the corner, and Torchlight 2 hopefully in the next month or two, I'm simply not going to have any excess gaming time.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today
57. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 3, 2012, 01:24 Bucky

[snip]

NKD wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 00:43:
It's all pretty subjective in the end, so why go after people who simply state that they like or dislike something?

[/snip]

I think this gets to the heart of the problem here at Blue's. If you disagree with a persons' opinion of a game, post your own opinion, but don't attack the person about it. Better still, don't respond directly, because it's become clear that the discussion loses it's focus on the game and instead becomes one of personal disagreements.

The other problem, to me, is the broad generalizations we're all guilty of making (hey, I've done it several times in this post!). It's not that we can stop making them entirely, as exaggeration and embellishment are a large part of this language, but if we can at least keep them to a minimum we have a better shot at preventing misunderstanding.

Of course, I'm a little drunk right now, so it's entirely possible none of what I've written makes a bit of sense. The most probable outcome is that I'll wake up in the morning, read this, and regret having posted it.

16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 2, 2012, 12:28 Bucky

Axis wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 12:11:
Got an argument against what I'm saying, I'm all ears!

I think what it comes down to is that Guild Wars 2 isn't a revolutionary MMO. MMO veterans that have burned out on the formula aren't going to play GW2 and feel as if the genre has suddenly become fresh and interesting again.

GW2 does a lot right for me. I love the art, the ease of cooperative PvE play, and the new skill and combat system. I've also never gotten into MMOs (with the exception of Guild Wars, which doesn't really count) so many of the MMO conventions don't feel stale to me.

It's a matter of expectations, but that's true for any game.

13. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 2, 2012, 12:17 Bucky

Verno wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 12:06:
Anyways getting back on topic, did we ever decide on a server for release or are we just following reddit?

I'm not sure it really matters, to be honest. To my knowledge the only thing that's restricted by server is World vs World participation. I'll probably join whatever server reddit finally votes on, just so I can be relatively assured of a high population.

6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 2, 2012, 11:53 Bucky

So, about the time I got to work the Stress Test will go live.

Damnit!

The 25th needs to get here faster.

News Comments > Diablo III Armory Rumor
4. Re: Diablo III Armory Rumor Aug 1, 2012, 11:23 Bucky

Given how long they'd been working on Diablo 3, in one form or another, it's surprising that so many elements feel missing from the game. Lackluster legendaries, sets that are impossible to find, map randomization that barely exists, and the painful writing. I remember a quote from someone at Blizzard that said no one would remember if the game was late if it was great, but the truth is in another six months I don't think anyone will remember the game at all.

Then again, they may still have the player numbers to prove me wrong. I still have some friends that keep trying to draw me back into D3, but I just don't want to play it anymore.

News Comments > Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit [Updated]
56. Re: Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit Jul 24, 2012, 02:09 Bucky

RollinThundr wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 00:22:
They're seriously changing thieves? I'm actually planning on a thief as my main and an elementalist as an alt. Really dug the thief class.

There was a lot of developer commentary on the beta forums about how skills across all classes were still going to get another heavy tuning pass before release. ArenaNet has a history of constantly fine-tuning the game over time too, though being that this is a conversation in a Diablo thread, I should point out that they are gradual, thought out changes for the better.

26. Re: Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit Jul 23, 2012, 14:30 Bucky

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 14:22:
GW2 BWE pretty much sealed the deal for me as well.

Are there any plans to form a Blues guild?

I'm up for it. You can belong to multiple guilds too. I believe the only thing that your home world directly impacts is participation in World vs World PvP, though I'm looking for more information on that right now.

15. Re: Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit Jul 23, 2012, 13:20 Bucky

Fibrocyte wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 12:54:
I really enjoyed D3 when it was first released. I wasn't one of the ones bickering about the online DRM. However, I quickly hit a ceiling in Act1 of Inferno that would require me to switch from casually playing the game and farming items to intensely playing the game and farming items just to progress. While the gameplay is certainly fun, constant farming (with little to no forward movement) with nothing else to do in the game world becomes very boring.

I'm in the same camp. Instead of playing the game, you'd end up spending more time in the AH. The story and writing felt weak to me, the 'randomized' maps don't even deserve the term, and the loot is not inspired at all. There are a lot of other minor flaws, but others have detailed them better than I can.

I picked up the CE, and I've put over 200 hours into D3, so I certainly got my money's worth. It's just that D3 ends up being more of a one-off game than one you return to month after month. For that, I suggest Guild Wars 2.

...sorry, I couldn't resist. The last BWE was a blast.

2330 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo