Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bucky

Real Name Bucky   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Game handle: Ventus
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com
Signed On Aug 20, 2003, 21:03
Total Comments 2326 (Senior)
User ID 18104

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Need some wireless help Oct 3, 2008, 06:33 Bucky

Alright, I'm resorting to the wisdom of the masses here, since I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

I need to set up a new wireless network in my apartment. I currently share a wireless network with the landlord, and plan on continuing to do so. The problem is that the current wireless router is an old 802.11b setup, and I really need higher speeds at range. I should point out that he doesn't mind me changing (or adding) gear as I see fit, so that helps. My current problems are low signal quality (which is in part due to the the location of my tower) and regular time-outs when playing online games. I also tend to watch a lot of streaming video (Hulu FTW).

Right now I've got a D-Link DWA-552 (wireless N) adapater in my Vista 64 box. What I want to know is, what's the best solution? Keep the adapter and add a single-band wireless N router, or also add a different adapter? I'd also prefer to leave his 802.11b network alone and run a seperate one for myself in order to avoid running mixed-mode and losing performance. Are USB adapters worth it (does performance suffer that much?).

To boil it down: I need to set-up a new wireless network with performance being the priority (wired isn't an option). It has about 40 meters to travel (through a lot of obstructions). Vista 64 compatibility with any adapter is a must, Linux compatibility would be a huge plus as well.

Thanks guys.

Spock: Wanna hear a dirty Vulcon joke?
Kirk: Sure. Go ahead.
Spock: I'm happy...
*GASP*

Damn you, I nearly choked on my cereal reading that.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 06:34.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > 2, Part 2
12. Re: Yay!!! Sep 25, 2008, 10:24 Bucky

Odd, I got the old-fashioned error page when I went to post. Worked fine on the second try, though.

Anyway, glad these are back. What I'm having a hard time believing is that they stopped 5 years ago--I really don't know where all that time went. I swear I can remember the HL2 logo as if it were yesterday.

Edit: Got the error again when I tried to post, took me 3 tries. Here's the error page dump:

Undefined subroutine &ModPerl::ROOT::ModPerl::Registry: :-data_www_bluesnews_2ecom_cgi_2dbin_board_2epl-: :handler called

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 10:25.

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: aggressive redirect Sep 24, 2008, 23:29 Bucky

but I'd hate to give 2 much away in advance

I'm with complicity.

And if the guess is correct, let me utter a preemptive 'Woo!' I've been whining about that disappearance since...well, since they disappeared. Of course, should I be wrong, I'll have to renew my shameless campaign of pathetic whimpering.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: Blood Sep 24, 2008, 13:46 Bucky

Was it all of the blood or just some of it?

All of it. It was kinda odd decapitating a guy without any blood--felt like I was fighting wax figures.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. No subject Sep 19, 2008, 20:45 Bucky

Is Stubbs worth $4.99? I've always been interested in it, and at that price it's less than a good drink around here...  

News Comments > The Witcher Enhanced Edition Blood Patch
10. Re: the glitcher Sep 18, 2008, 23:33 Bucky

I just picked up The Witcher: EE via Impulse (aka NA release) and really don't see any problem with the minor censorship in there. Hell, I actually found the first censored card damn funny. Of course, at 25 I'm probably too old to appreciate fine art anymore.

I've pulled off the decapitation, so I know that and other rather gruesome finishing moves are in there. I had been wondering about the blood thing; I'll wait for the patch to get tossed up on Impulse.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
10. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2008, 19:49 Bucky

Finally picked this up via Impulse, and I'm loving it.  

News Comments > Demigod Q&A
2. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2008, 16:00 Bucky

It means that they feel DRM is worse than piracy. Therefor, there will be no DRM on the game, and Impulse (while similar to Steam) will not need to be running in any way, shape, or form in order to run Demigod, or any other product acquired through it, for that matter.

Truth be told, I have little interest in this game. However, I'll be buying it on launch or just before simply to support their stance on DRM. Hell, it won't break my gaming budget since I keep passing on other games with DRM.

News Comments > Steam Deals
23. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2008, 11:24 Bucky

I'm assuming that is not the Uncensored Import Enhanced Edition.

Correct. According to some forum posts by Stardock people the publisher has limited them to the NA release of the Enhanced Edition; the publisher is also the one responsible for limiting the territories that it can be sold in.

For $27 though....it was too good to pass up.

News Comments > Steam Deals
8. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2008, 23:36 Bucky

Order it off Impulse instead - same 10% discount, but then you can get an additional 20% off using this coupon code: SURVEY-2008

$27 for The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

Forgot about the survey code. Plus, no worries about an offline mode not working since Impulse is not required to be running when the game is launched--unlike Steam, which still has issues when there's a connection problem.

Purchased. Now gimme! Been waiting for this game for awhile now.

News Comments > The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Next Week
22. Re: No subject Sep 11, 2008, 23:46 Bucky

Passed on Spore due to DRM. Just added Sacred 2 to the list of games to pass on due to DRM. The Witcher: EE has been on my list to buy for awhile now, the fact that it's available via Impulse is even better. I just had better not have to pass on it due to DRM.

Someone explain the DRM thing (as it relates to The Witcher, that is).

Edit: Looks like the version of The Witcher that'll be available through Impulse will be censored. I'm not sure if that's enough to keep my from buying via Impulse....probably not.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 23:54.

News Comments > Demigod Beta Begins
4. Re: No subject Sep 10, 2008, 11:13 Bucky

From what I've seen Open Beta should be early to mid '09, with release coming after Stardock and GPG are happy with the results. Keep in mind that Stardock does not use their beta's as 'early demos' they are in fact, BETA testing. Typically early builds are just to stress the engine and host computer, and then they start adding in other stuff to make sure it all plays nice.

This'll probably get my money on release, if for no other reason than because Stardock is publishing it. I just plan to wait until release, I really have no interest in beta testing anymore.

News Comments > Spore Debuts in North America
10. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2008, 00:47 Bucky

I just ran across this rockpapershotgun quick write-up on Spore, and now I want it. Damnit. I'd better fire up GalCivII before the rest of my real gaming persona dies.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/09/05/spore-things-to-know/

2. Re: Viva Le Football! Sep 7, 2008, 15:55 Bucky

As a Patriots fan, if you'd told me that the first TD I'd see this season would be Cassel to Moss, I would've laughed myself silly.

Now I wonder how often I'll see it.

News Comments > On Sins Sales
8. Re: 500,000 copies Sep 5, 2008, 12:10 Bucky

as an indie game dev myself, I'm guessing about 4 to 5 times as much. So they are getting a 50/50 split between retail and online.
It could even be stronger than that, I know I get about 8 times more per sale from online vs retail.

Thanks cliffski. You answered what I was really wanted to know, namely the revenue split. It could be argued that Stardock has to develop, run and maintain Impulse (and SDC previously) and that would cut into the margin a bit, but as Brad has said previously their non-gaming business does so well that the gaming stuff is pretty much all gravy.

I also decided long ago to do digital purchases whenever possible in order to give the dev the most money, though that is limited somewhat by the service it's offered on. I stay away from D2D and the EA service, though come to think of it, I stay away from EA games in general. *glances guiltily at the Mass Effect box*

News Comments > On Sins Sales
4. Re: 500,000 copies Sep 5, 2008, 10:37 Bucky

What I'd really like to know is how much profit they make per distribution type. I'm sure they're making more on the digital copies, but how much more?  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Spore
13. Re: No subject Sep 4, 2008, 23:35 Bucky

Yeah, they hype has me wanting to buy this game, despite the activation crap. (Un)fortunately I've already been bitten by the hype machine once this year (Age of Conan) so I'm holding off until I hear some more reviews of the game. I wasn't expecting anything with depth, but it would seem that Spore makes a wading pool look good.  

News Comments > X-COM Series on Steam
58. Re: Should Have Know Sep 4, 2008, 23:28 Bucky

I'm one of those gaming-deprived people that has never played an X-COM game. I might just pick up the collection, but I'm gonna do a bit more digging to be sure they all run on Vista 64 before I bite the bullet.

Or someone could just gift it to me out of pity.

News Comments > Spore Space Phase Movie; Mac Requirements
8. Re: Spore has major problems Sep 4, 2008, 00:03 Bucky

What constitutes a "different computer"? If I reload the OS, is it a different computer? If I upgrade the motherboard, is it a different computer?

Agreed. I just did a reinstall of Vista, and there goes another activation. Granted most people don't reinstall that often, but some of us don't pay close enough attention when we go mucking around with a Linux live CD. *grumbles about wiping sda instead of sdb...*

And then there's the hardware changes. I tend to do a full system every 2-3 years, with incremental upgrades along the way. My current system has had one video card change, one sound card addition, and two HDDs changed.

7. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2008, 17:22 Bucky

Ok, I've got a question for you guys. I just realized I have two gaming tokens that I'd forgotten about with Totalgaming.net. Right now I can grab Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds: Survivor for two tokens (which works out to about $14). Is it worth it? I remember people saying that the $10 preorder for Tank Universal that included one of the Shadowgrounds was a good deal.

Here's the list: http://totalgaming.stardock.com/store/

There isn't much else on the list that looks interesting for two tokens or less, and I already own Gish. The way I figure it, it's a free game since I had completely forgotten about those tokens after I used up most of them for Sins of a Solar Empire.

Edit: Just noticed Steam has the Survivor Demo. Pulling that in now to try it out.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 17:29.

2326 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo