Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bucky

Real Name Bucky   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Game handle: Ventus
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com
Signed On Aug 20, 2003, 21:03
Total Comments 2330 (Senior)
User ID 18104

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 16:00 Bucky

Have you guys seen Logitech's G15 Gaming Keyboard?! It has a freaking LCD screen that can be setup to display the current time on a song, your CPU's temperature, or any number of possibilities!

Couple it with Everest and you can display just about any system information you can think of. Very handy for overclocking.

Edit(2): Well that was odd, my edit ended up in the wrong post.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2009, 16:05.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 06:10 Bucky

I actually downgraded from the G9 back to the 2-button G5. The G9 is a phenomenal mouse, but the way the outer shells forced me to grip the mouse started to cause some serious discomfort after even moderate length gaming sessions. I had high hopes that Logitech would eventually release shells of different shapes (I was one of the first adopters of the G9) but since release all they've done is offer a single stock shell with a customizable logo.

With that said, maybe I'll dig it out and try again since it seems to have helped the Quake Live experience so much. That's right after all the parts arrive today for my new Core i7 rig.

News Comments > Impulse's Million Man March
8. Re: Impulse's Million Man March Mar 17, 2009, 16:22 Bucky

How about they just dump Impulse and go back to SDC?

Impulse is soooooo fugly and cheap looking...

Oh god no. Impulse is, by far, better than SDC. I can remember having to regularly clear out log files and change servers just to get SDC to see the latest GCII beta releases. Not to mention the crashes, hard locks, and corrupt downloads.

I'll let the cheap looking part slide since that's a matter of justifiable opinion, but fugly? Compared to what, Steam? Now there's a true example of Fugly*.

I think the most promising part is that Stardock has been making significant strides forward on Impulse, and I have no doubt they will continue to do so. It should be fun to play with the new stuff right along side Demigod.

*I have no real problem with Steam, or Impulse. In fact, I think both are about equal.

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 2009, 16:23.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2009, 16:21 Bucky

I've been jumping into Quake Live regularly for a quick match or two. It made me realize once again what true skill separation is, though I've gotten significantly better since day one. The graphics aren't spectacular, but it's not even noticeable given the pace of the game.

I think the biggest issue for me is that they didn't directly preserve the Q3A weapon balance, but I'm sure this will continue to get tweaked (it is still beta, after all).

I did some comparing of UT3 vs Quake Live over the weekend, and I've gotta say that I think UT3's biggest failing is that Epic stopped focusing on the gameplay. I really think QL made this stand out for me. UT3 has too many gimicks, and too much extra crap in the levels. Just my .02 though.

News Comments > BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2
7. Re: BioWare Montreal and Mass Effect 2 Mar 2, 2009, 17:56 Bucky

Hm, I must be in the minority then. Mass Effect was one of the most stable games I've played in a long time. I don't recall ever having a single crash.

Maybe I'll reinstall and give it another whirl, seems like it's about time.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2009, 09:13 Bucky

Yeah, this storm convinced me to call out today. It's a shame, I'm gonna have to spend most of the day playing Quake Live.  

News Comments > QUAKE LIVE Beta Live
3. Re: QUAKE LIVE Beta Live Feb 24, 2009, 21:02 Bucky

I registered, saw the queue (I was at 1200) and figured it would take way too long so I bailed. Heh, maybe I should've stayed in it. Ah well, I'll fire it up this weekend for a go.  

News Comments > Weekend Sales
4. Re: Weekend Sales Feb 21, 2009, 10:41 Bucky

Yeah, the Steam deal is amazing. I picked up Eets awhile ago for $10 and it was well worth the money. Getting all the other games along with it would just be a bonus. Heck, I still might pick up this indie pack. Damn Valve and their great weekend deals...  

News Comments > Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena Movie
8. Re: Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Da Feb 7, 2009, 00:36 Bucky

I actually picked it up via Fileplanet hitpoints back when I was stupid enough to subscribe to Fileplanet. I didn't expect much, and got one of the best games I've ever played.

It really is a great game. I highly recommend picking it up, even now, if you've never played it before.

News Comments > New Stardock Studio & Game Plans
10. Re: New Stardock Studio & Game Plans Feb 4, 2009, 18:11 Bucky

I'd catapult money at them by the great heaping gob-fulls if I could and if it meant getting more of what they are selling.

Do what I did, pick up some of the desktop customization stuff. I did so without expecting to use any of it, and now some of it is always running on my desktop.

I haven't pre-ordered Demigod or Elemental simply because I don't want to beta test, and I don't want to play the betas. If I had 'em available, I wouldn't be able to resist. Both games are instant buys for me when they launch, though.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Patched
5. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 00:42 Bucky

So, just how many months is "soon" in Valve time?

You must be new.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

News Comments > On Impulse Reactor Two
3. Re: On Impulse Reactor Two Jan 23, 2009, 17:59 Bucky

Steam: You MUST run Steam if you wish to play a Steam game.

Impulse: You don't have to run Impulse at all unless you want to log-in to get the official patch.

To me, that is a big difference.

Huge. Whenever possible I'll purchase via Impulse if a game is available on both services. I also think Impulse is going to see a lot of updates and changes in the coming year, and all for the better.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2009, 19:42 Bucky

And if you're considering excercising and making a real investment, consider a rowing machine. Rowing is the overall best excercise there is. Nothing combines overall muscle and cardio work better, - not even swimming.

I picked up an exercise bike about a month ago. I've been doing an hour a day since, steadily increasing resistance (or using a harder program) and it's already made a phenomenal difference. I haven't lost much weight yet, but combined with the crunches and pushups I already look better and I feel great. The problem is it's habit forming; I caught myself looking for rowing machines after reading that before I'd even given it any thought.

The weird part is the shift in my thinking that's gone along with it. In the span of 5 minutes I've decided that the money I was going to spend on a fancy new LCD TV might be better off going into a rowing machine.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Jan 7, 2009, 16:36 Bucky

I like the post format Blue.

+1

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Logitech G Series Jan 6, 2009, 21:53 Bucky

It seems the 'New' mouse is just the G9 with a better laser; 5000 DPI now instead of the 3200 max on the G9. For the record, I picked up the G9 early. It's been shelved for several months in favor of the G5. The G9 grips both force a claw-like fingertip hold for me, which is very uncomfortable. Then there's the fact that the other grips that Logitech said they would make available for the G9 never materialized. So far the only 'new' grip available is the Wide Boy with a custom logo. The dual-setting mouse wheel (it has a free-spin mode) is awesome, but other than that, I really don't think the G9 is better than the G5---especially considering it fails in the most critical area: comfort.

As for the G series keyboards, I think they're over-hyped. Granted, my 'old' G15 is incredibly durable but there's not much this keyboard can do that matters to me. The G keys never get used while taking up a ton of real estate. The LCD is nothing more than a gimmick, since all it really does is duplicate on-screen UI info (except when run with Everest, then it is somewhat useful). The best thing about the keyboard is the 'feel' of the keys IMO, along with well backlit keys and a truly useful switch to turn the Windows Super key off.

Wow, you'd think after all of that I must hate Logitech. Heh, I own the Z-680 5.1 speakers, USB Mic, old G15, two G5s (one and two button species) and the G9. They make good hardware, they just have a bad habit of tacking on some frivolous stuff.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2009, 21:54.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2008, 12:03 Bucky

I picked up Sacred 2 (via Steam) last week, and I've gotta say, it's under-rated. I've been having a blast playing it, and I haven't noticed any bugs at all. The thing to remember is that it's a hack n' slash that doesn't take itself seriously, so don't expect a high level of immersion.

The tombstones have had me laughing a number of times already.

News Comments > GOG for the Holidays
8. Re: GOG for the Holidays Dec 23, 2008, 13:43 Bucky

*Grins and rubs FS1 and FS2 (plus Silent Threat) cases*  

News Comments > New FRAPS
3. Re: New FRAPS Dec 23, 2008, 13:36 Bucky

I was going to say that Vista support as of now is a surprise, seeing as how I'm running Vista 64 and it's running in the tray.  

News Comments > EA Games on Steam
28. Re: EA Games on Steam Dec 19, 2008, 20:22 Bucky

DRM itself isn't a bad thing, it's the implementation that has been horrible for so long. The result is that instead of welcoming a 'friendly' DRM system most people have the traditional knee-jerk reaction whenever DRM is mentioned (Down with DRM, etc). Steam is DRM, and one I have no problem with.

I think you'll see the Good DRM vs Bad DRM issue a lot more frequently in the coming year.

I'll probably grab Dead Space if it goes up on Sale, but that's about it from the current list as I already own the others that I had interest in.

News Comments > Sacred 2: Fallen Angel Content Patch
6. Re: Sacred 2: Fallen Angel Content Patch Dec 17, 2008, 17:48 Bucky

I think I'll pick this up via Steam tonight. I enjoyed Sacred 1 quite a bit, and this seems even better. They've also kept up the practice of adding content post-release which makes it even harder to keep away.  

2330 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo