Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bucky

Real Name Bucky   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Game handle: Ventus
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com
Signed On Aug 20, 2003, 21:03
Total Comments 2330 (Senior)
User ID 18104

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Elemental Interview
5. Re: Elemental Interview Sep 23, 2009, 21:45 Bucky

why the fuck are you paying for a game that isnt supposed to be out until the middle of next year?

Ah, the eloquence. Stardock gives anyone who pre-orders access to the beta program, though this is usually only available for a small window of time during the development of the game. I believe they had mentioned opening it up again later on, though I haven't been keeping close tabs on the game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elemental Interview
2. Re: Elemental Interview Sep 23, 2009, 19:56 Bucky

To be fair, the graphics are a work in progress. I believe the first round of beta testers didn't even get a graphics engine, they just played on a so-called 'cloth map' in order to test the gameplay and reinforce the notion of true beta testing instead of the 'early demo' mentality that dominates these days.

Also, remember GalCiv2. Stardock went back and overhauled their graphics engine, making everything better looking while simultaneously improving performance. I have no doubt they'll do the same with Elemental.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 23, 2009, 19:53 Bucky

Nope, everything runs fine. If I had to guess I'd say that it's the fact that being Vista I'm probably running on a DX10 path while you're running DX9. There's isn't any option in-game to force one or the other. *shrug*. It looks good and plays good at my settings, so I'm not really worried. If a few other games start to tax the card in the same way then I'll start shopping for a new card, but I'd rather wait until nVidia releases their next gen cards before I decide.  

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 23, 2009, 18:56 Bucky

Seriously? What are you running it at? On my 8800GT, I've got it running at 1680x1050, everything max, 4xFSAA, and it runs SILKY SMOOTH. In 20 hours of play, I've seen exactly one moment of framerate dip, when I had an absolutely ridiculous amount of explosions going on, where six buildings got shredded at the same time. Other than that, it's been smooth all the way.

Are you sure you're not just seeing delays because of your CPU? It seems odd that a 4870 couldn't run the game well whereas I'm running it flawlessly on a card that's a generation older.

That is odd. I'm definitely not CPU bound, I'm running an i7 920 with 6GB of DDR3-1333. I'm pulling a higher resolution at 1920*1080 and with everything maxed I'm only seeing 25-30 fps and that's before I start blowing shit up. I've had to knock a few settings back, shadows being the main killer for me. Maybe I need to start poking around in my system, maybe I'm getting a conflict or have a shitty driver somewhere in there.

Edit: 2x AA, Soft Shadows off, Shadow detail medium, ambient occlusions off, everything else maxed. This is giving me 35-60 fps depending.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2009, 19:07.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 23, 2009, 17:01 Bucky

I'm running a 4870 right now and I haven't had any issues, but Red Faction: Guerrilla has finally humbled it. Granted, there are other games out there that would have earlier but this is the first one that I've played where I've had to make noticeable changes to detail settings.

I'm gonna watch Newegg for the next few days. If I can find a 5870 at list price ($380) and a game bundle I'll probably jump on it.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Sep 21, 2009, 20:06 Bucky

The Titan Quest bundle is a steal at $5. Just be sure to pick up the community patch.  

News Comments > Jedi Knight Games Rereleased
10. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 16, 2009, 17:28 Bucky

Damn. I had expected the bundle to be fairly expensive and therefor didn't even click the Steam link. Then I wander in here and find out that the whole bundle is only $20. I don't think I can pass that up.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Guerrilla
19. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla Ships Sep 15, 2009, 20:39 Bucky

I picked it up via Impulse. It installed GFWL, (which was installed anyway) so no big deal there. I'm having a freakin' blast right now, and I haven't seen any issues at all. FRAPS is reporting 30-40 FPS on my rig, at 1920*1080 everything maxed 2xAA (yeah, I'll probably have to tweak a few things down a touch)

Relevant System Specs:

Core i7 920 LGA 1366
Asus P6T Deluxe V2, X58 Chipset
6GB OCZ DDR3-1333
MSI ATI 4870
Asus Xonar DX
Vista 64 SP2

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: MNF Sep 14, 2009, 22:52 Bucky

How 'bout them Patriots! That was one wild fourth quarter.

I can't even count how many times I flipped out while watching that game. I was actually holding my TV shouting "Hit Him!" during the final play.

I love Football season.

Side note: Loved how everyone was rocking the old school gear. I still think the Patriots helmets were the best, but I'm biased.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Sep 13, 2009, 13:45 Bucky

I for one love the sales feature. It saves me the trouble of scouring the net for the sales of the week.

Agreed. I love this section. It seems to be remaining at a manageable size, though much larger and I'd start to consider a new presentation method. I still vote for a link to a sub-page for the 'Still On Sale' section with only new additions being listed on the main page--with the link to the sub page included each time.

Anyway, back to watching the Eagles and Panthers race to the new false start record.

News Comments > Borderlands Trailer
9. Re: Borderlands Trailer Sep 12, 2009, 08:56 Bucky

The way I've understood it is that it's a shooter with loot drops. This is probably over-simplifying the game, but to be honest, that's all it took to sell me. I guess I'm just easily entertained.  

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Sep 6, 2009, 16:33 Bucky

OK, seriously, there's gotta be a better way to do this section...

I called it. Seriously, I did. Don't expect me to propose any worthwhile solutions, though.

News Comments > GPU Flocking Movie
5. Re: GPU AI Movie Sep 3, 2009, 21:19 Bucky

I'd take this tech and apply it to Serious Sam. Just imagining vast hordes that could act as a group while I mow them down....it's probably too much to ask for, though.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Interview
7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Interview Sep 3, 2009, 16:07 Bucky

Yeah, it's funny. I played GW on and off for 2 years, yet when I think back on my time, it's mostly the negatives that spring to mind...

I feel a bit the same way, but it's probably because I played the game so much. Spending that much time with a game will make it's flaws apparent--I think there's more to be said by the fact that I played for so long (right around 1000 hours IIRC).

I know I'll be pre-ordering GW2 the minute I can.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Interview
5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Interview Sep 3, 2009, 13:50 Bucky

Will they finally implement an auction house?

Wow. That's so familiar I just had flashbacks. I think every GW player has said that at least once.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Aug 31, 2009, 20:35 Bucky

Dear lord, it's becoming a whole page.

Still, I like. I know it doesn't really fit with the flow of the site, but what about actually giving the sales section it's own subpage with a link posted whenever updates hit? My guess is that this section is going to continue to grow over time, and it's likely to become a bit cumbersome on the main page.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Aug 27, 2009, 21:17 Bucky

Yeah, it's a shame I already own most of them. I've recently become hopelessly addicted to Titan Quest--I picked it up along with the expansion through Impulse awhile back and just recently got around to playing it. Now I can't stop.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
9. Re: ATI Radeon HD 5800 date, final features Aug 25, 2009, 06:00 Bucky

As for what the 8800GT can't handle, eh, it can handle most games fine, but it could definitely be faster in some games. (Fallout / Oblivion, which I still play frequently) and it's an extra level of FSAA etc.

No problem. My 4870 did quite well with Fallout--I ran at 1920*1080 with everything cranked right up iirc. It also runs Plants vs Zombies quite well.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: ATI Radeon HD 5800 date, final features Aug 24, 2009, 22:11 Bucky

Hmm, it's about time to update my 8800GT. Anyone here with a 4850-4890? How are they behaving in games? Lots of problems? Stable drivers? Great speeds?

Moved from an 8800GT to a 4870 back in February. It's been rock solid, excellent drivers, and it left my 8800GT in the dust. It runs a bit hot for my taste (Everest is reporting temps of 54 GPU, 74 Memory and 60 Shader, all Celsius at idle). I'd be a bit worried except they've been like that from day one, with no overclock, and I have excellent cooling.

I'll probably grab a card out of the 5800 series when I can find a decent sale. I've preferred my ATI card to the last two Nvidia cards (8800GT and 7950GX2) especially with respect to drivers, but YMMV.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Aug 21, 2009, 18:34 Bucky

I like the format. Bonus points for including yesterday's stuff too.  

2330 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo