Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bucky

Real Name Bucky   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Game handle: Ventus
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com
Signed On Aug 20, 2003, 21:03
Total Comments 2327 (Senior)
User ID 18104

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

General Discussion > Site suggestions
3. Re: Site suggestions Dec 12, 2009, 20:45 Bucky

The link to these forums seems too tucked away and out of sight.

Agreed. Perhaps just make the bar they're listed in bigger and give them full fledged buttons? I don't know, design is not my strong suit. I do think they need to be more prominent though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > TF2 War Update Details
10. Re: TF2 War Update Details Dec 11, 2009, 16:03 Bucky

And this will, yet again, drag me back in. the Soldier is by far my favorite TF2 class, though it's a bit funny since my favorite class in TFC was the Demoman.

TF2 is starting to become a serious contender for my 'best multiplayer game ever' award. Not that it counts for anything.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Patch
19. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Dec 7, 2009, 18:53 Bucky

No issues here either, though I only started playing about a week ago.

This patch is great news for me, since I played a mage for a bit and then decided on a dual-wielding dagger rogue. I've only just made it to Lothering though, so I'm not far.

Also, I'm very happy (and impressed) that Impulse already has the update live as well. They usually seem to lag a bit on that end, though that's more likely an issue with the publisher providing all sellers with the patch files in a timely manner. Time to play!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Heroes to get 5th season Dec 6, 2009, 14:14 Bucky

I'm still bitter about Deadwood getting canned. And it was to work on a new project that, if I remember right, didn't even make it a full season.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Races Trailer
7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Races Trailer Dec 4, 2009, 21:34 Bucky

I want.  

News Comments > Direct2Drive Refutes Impulse Claim
14. Re: Direct2Drive Refutes Impulse Claim Nov 30, 2009, 23:17 Bucky

I hate Impulse simply because of the crappy DRM software you must install to play a game.

I honestly can't tell if that's an attempt to troll or just some serious misinformation. Stardock's games typically have no DRM at all, except for requiring Impulse to update the game. Impulse (unlike Steam) does not need to be used to launch a game and third party games sold through Impulse are, in my experience, easier to use community patches and mods with.

This isn't to say that every game on the service is like this; publishers dictate to the distributor what DRM scheme must be used with their game. This is the same with Steam.

Now, if you're talking about the Impulse client itself that's just a matter of opinion. I find Impulse to be better in terms of actual digital distribution (download speeds, etc) and I definitely prefer not needing to use the Impulse client to run a game. However, Steam has far better community features and their game catalog is unrivaled.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Nov 30, 2009, 20:19 Bucky

Is Dark Athena worth $10? I was a big fan of the first Riddick game, but the whole DRM thing made me write off Dark Athena right away.  

News Comments > Direct2Drive Refutes Impulse Claim
2. Re: Direct2Drive Refutes Impulse Claim Nov 30, 2009, 20:18 Bucky

I have a number of games through both Impulse and Steam, and not one through D2D. I don't know why, but I distrust D2D. Maybe I should look into it again.  

News Comments > Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter Announced
6. Re: Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter Nov 30, 2009, 16:20 Bucky

Awesome. I'll pick 'em both up (hopefully at a bundle price) once they release it. Still some of the best co-op madness to be found.  

News Comments > On Sale
15. Re: On Sale Nov 26, 2009, 01:04 Bucky

Osmos is terrible, bad game design 101. Ambient... relaxing... yet moving slowly kills you. Ok then.

I don't know about terrible, but you're right about the pacing. However, for $2 it's still worth it. Hell, I spent more than that on a single drink tonight--and I'll probably enjoy Osmos a lot more than that drink.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Osmos Nov 25, 2009, 21:17 Bucky

So much gaming to be had for so little. Fortunately I'm not enough of an impulse buyer to pick up everything just because it can be had cheap, though for $2 I'll buy Osmos just to try it.

Edit: Apparently Opera takes the liberty of filling in all the fields that were saved, including the subject. Had to fix that.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2009, 21:19.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2009, 17:37 Bucky

As for the Ajax-style approach, it's my understanding in that case you are having every user load all the data on the page, but just not showing some of it, but a goal here is to be able to present more stories in less space and keep the page size managable.

Understood. I was looking at it from a narrow point of view as well. Thinking about it, that would amount to a great deal of extra data to pull in since the frontpage shows two days worth of news.

Well that is certainly appreciated. The thought here is to allow the best of all worlds in regards to presentation. Previously some stories would have to take up as much space here as two or three stories that would be arguably of greater interest. Take the system requirements story, that's a lot of yellow text for readers who don't care. The goal here is to create breakpoints in long stories at a point of active interest, certainly not to do that blogger thing of making everything about getting you to click to another page. It also allows greater freedom to report on items that seem like they would take up more space than their level of potential interest justifies, so we're not discriminating against what might be "wordy" stories.

I think this is a really positive step here, but if it proves unpopular in execution, then I will obviously reconsider that notion.

I probably should have made myself a bit clearer, instead of taking the easy way and stealing someone else's post. I find the new method to be an improvement, and I certainly don't see it as any sort of attempt to generate more pageviews. My only real gripe is that the "Continue here..." line doesn't seem to fit right with the rest of the page flow. I keep staring at the page trying to figure out what it is, but I can't pin it down. Perhaps just a 'Full Story' link while giving it a format that makes it unique on the page. *shrug*

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2009, 15:32 Bucky

Frankly, I don't like the "Continue Here" mechanism at all. If it were an Ajax implementation that would expand without reloading, I would be on board, but redirecting to an entirely new page (and waiting for an entirely new set of ads to load--which is the bulk of the page render times) takes away from the experience quite a bit.

Blues has been my one stop news shop for the gaming world for a long time and I've always considered the presentation as one of the strongest points.

Anyway, I'm here one way or the other, just throwing out the opinion of a very long time reader.

Thanks

I'm just going to borrow your post, since I'm lazy and it says everything I want to.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Serious Sam HD
9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Serious Sam HD Nov 24, 2009, 19:36 Bucky

If they put together a bundle of The First and Second Encounter I'll be all over it. I can wait.  

News Comments > Borderlands Steam Patch
1. Re: Borderlands Steam Patch Nov 18, 2009, 21:45 Bucky

Just don't run the 9.11 Catalyst drivers. They introduced an ugly missing texture/grey replacement bug (ATI, not Gearbox). I'm also seeing a lot of reports with shadow weirdness due to the patch (Gearbox, not ATI), though I haven't seen that one myself.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2009, 21:46.

News Comments > The State of Stardock/Impulse
3. Re: The State of Stardock/Impulse Nov 18, 2009, 21:44 Bucky

Take a close look at things--Brad's comments over the last few months have frequently been blown way out of proportion. This isn't to say that he's not outspoken at times, because he is. He's open and honest and will call it like he sees it, which is a two-edged sword. Then there's the small matter of the internet, which will give even the simple and most innocent of statements a horrifying life of it's own.

I'm more of a fan of Stardock because of his approach, but I can see how others might prefer more 'professional' conduct.

About my biggest gripe right now is that for a company who's bread-and-butter is Windows customization, Impulse still does not have jump lists integrated into it. I hate to say it, but Steam does, and I love it.

News Comments > New ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers
13. Re: New ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers Nov 17, 2009, 17:55 Bucky

Right on top. Doesn't even require reboot. It's awesome.

Just did it. I swear I heard an Elder Gaming God shriek when I did it, though.

Thanks for the answers. Now I just hope my mouse doesn't strangle me in my sleep tonight.

News Comments > New ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers
8. Re: New ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers Nov 17, 2009, 16:36 Bucky

Yeah. Don't buy Sapphire to reduce your chances of a bad unit. They are cheaper for a reason...

I've got a Sapphire 9800 Pro that's still running like a top. What was once my gaming rig is now my mothers' desktop.

I'm curious, what's the prevailing wisdom on driver installation these days? Is the old wisdom of completely remove, reboot, install still valid or can you just install the new drivers right on top of the old ones?

News Comments > Borderlands Patch
14. Re: Borderlands Patch Nov 17, 2009, 12:20 Bucky

The game is a blast. Sure, the UI needs serious work but Borderlands overcomes that issue. I haven't encountered any crashing or BSD issues and I've been playing it like crazy.

Glad Lilith got fixed especially since I just started a game with her.

News Comments > New FRAPS Adds Win7 Support
15. Re: New FRAPS Adds Win7 Support Nov 7, 2009, 21:34 Bucky

Don't be. I know XP-64 bit sucked, but since Vista the 64 bit OS's have been fine.

I agree. I'm running 7 Home Premium 64, and before that it was Vista Home Premium 64 without any problems. Vista was a necessary evil in some ways, possibly the biggest being the new driver architecture and support. Vista forced manufacturers to pay attention to 64 bit, and they did (eventually). The end result is that there aren't the teething issues with 7 that Vista had.

2327 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo