Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bucky

Real Name Bucky   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Game handle: Ventus
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com
Signed On Aug 20, 2003, 21:03
Total Comments 2326 (Senior)
User ID 18104

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > CoD7 in October, & Other Release Date Rumors
12. Re: CoD7 in October, & Other Release Date Rumors Mar 29, 2010, 20:42 Bucky

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 29, 2010, 13:55:
*yawn*

I don't think I will ever buy CoD again....BFBC2 has blasted it out of the water.

+1

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Half-Life Pulse Detected
12. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 09:02 Bucky

Valve has yet to make a game that is less than great, in my opinion. I think Gabe has earned the right to say whatever he wants and take as long as he wants, because in the end not one Valve game has disappointed me. Finished product speaks louder than any PR session.  

Hardware > Nvidia 400 Series
3. Re: Moved Mar 26, 2010, 20:56 Bucky

The NDA lifted at 7:00 PM EST, so reviews are now live. I use Anandtech and HardOCP for a good baseline, then branch out to other reviews from there if I need more information.

It was fairly easy for me to make a decision. I can get the ATI Radeon 5850 right now for $280 with free shipping. The Nvidia GTX 470 will launch in about three weeks for $350 in what I believe will be limited quantities, so they may sell above MSRP. While the 470 has a performance edge of 2%-10%, it efficiency is much worse (thermals, power draw and fan noise). A slightly faster, less efficient card isn't worth $70 to me.

I can't help if you're looking at higher end cards; I don't typically feel that they have a worthwhile price/performance ratio.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: GTX 400 Series GPUs Mar 26, 2010, 19:26 Bucky

Yeah, it's looking like I'm going to grab a 5850. I've been waiting for a while to pull the trigger on it; now that they're starting to show up under $300 again I'll bite.

I guess the 480 isn't quite as bad, but is it worth the price, heat, and power? Not in my book.

Agreed.

Edit: $280 for a Sapphire 5850 with free shipping from Newegg. Done.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2010, 19:37.

News Comments > Metaverse
5. Re: Metaverse Mar 24, 2010, 16:04 Bucky

zirik wrote on Mar 24, 2010, 08:09:
i might try opera. how is the privacy issue with chrome? did google allow people to disable the search feature on it that catalogs your local drive?

I can't comment on Chrome's privacy, or lack thereof. I never even looked into it; I have a Motorola Droid so Google already knows way too much about me.

2. Re: Metaverse Mar 23, 2010, 20:26 Bucky

Might I suggest Opera? Firefox has felt too slow for me for some time now, so I switched to Chrome. I used that for awhile, then gave Opera another whirl when 10.50 launched. It feels faster than Chrome and has some of the old favorite features that I've missed. I've been an Opera advocate for years, even if it hasn't always been my primary browser.

What helped me let go of Firefox was my decision to stop using ad blockers of any kind. Ad-block, flashblock and noscript really make Firefox, without a need for them I was left to try browsers again. Now if a site runs annoying ads, I just stop visiting it. This wasn't so hard to do once blue dropped IGN UGO, since I couldn't stand the ads and couldn't stand to stop visiting Blue's.

This comment was edited on Mar 24, 2010, 16:02.

News Comments > Known BF:BC2 Issues
5. Re: Known BF:BC2 Issues Mar 23, 2010, 05:20 Bucky

There's only two that really bug me atm: the lack of pings without running Steam and BC2 as admin (which may or may not be fixed now, haven't played in a couple of days) and the fact that smoke grenades sometimes stop working. I've become a huge fan of smoke grenades, especially when I'm on the attacking team in rush games.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Nvidia fermi launch Mar 19, 2010, 17:26 Bucky

From the leaks it doesn't sound like either card will have the performance/dollar ratio of the ATI cards. I'm just waiting for Nvidia to launch them so that I can pick up a 5850 or 5870 at a cheaper price. Maybe even the MSRP they were originally supposed to go for...%)  

News Comments > Wardell on Impulse::Reactor
14. Re: Wardell on Impulse::Reactor Mar 17, 2010, 05:20 Bucky

Drezden wrote on Mar 16, 2010, 21:24:
And being able to see what my buddies are playing and chat with them even if we're no longer playing the same game. Is that so wrong?

Just toss a shortcut into Steam for whatever non-Steam game you're running. You'll still get the Steam overlay, without having to use the service exclusively. I use Steam as my game launcher for everything because it has such an extensive community--this way I can play other games and still chat with friends.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC Patch Today
11. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC Patch Today Mar 15, 2010, 17:02 Bucky

Sleeeeepy wrote on Mar 15, 2010, 14:11:
Well looking good and glad they're taking the time to communicate still, if intermittently.

My main gripe though:

No ping displayed - This is caused by Windows admin privileges. To view ping in the server browser run BFBC2.exe with administrator privileges.

No. This is caused by your inability to understand the idea that new games shouldn't have to run with admin privileges. That's the whole idea. This is a workaround until you fix your shit.

QFT (again). This one irritates me to no end.

Edit: Reading the blog, it looks to me like they are fixing it with the workaround just posted for the interim. It's just worded in an awkward way (I hope.)

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2010, 19:46.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Maintenance Complete
10. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Maintenance Complete Mar 14, 2010, 18:28 Bucky

timesten wrote on Mar 14, 2010, 18:12:
im playing, is there a blues clan?

also, does anyone know about server pricing? i did a google search, but it only came back with one vendor. seemed fairly expensive for a 32 player server.. 40 a month i think.

i keep saying in these threads that im a quake engine player, but the gameplay in this game makes me wonder what other mp games ive been missing. the splash dmg game "brink" looks killer, but i feel like now, if i dont have the destructable invironment, i will be disapointed. the take cover behind a barrier, only to have that cover utterly destroyed 3 seconds later, is possibly the greatest game play mechanic in years. its creates tension where none existed before.

One of my first BC2 experiences was hiding from a tank inside a building, only to have the whole wall blown down. I then found myself, with ears ringing, staring straight down the tank barrel.

Needless to say, it didn't end well. I've been hooked since that moment though I still haven't quite gotten the feel of the guns down.

Timesten, there's a Blue's group on Steam. Even though BC2 doesn't use Steam for the Friends and Multiplayer you can at least look us up that way.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Maintenance Complete
3. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Maintenance Complete Mar 14, 2010, 16:21 Bucky

Frijoles wrote on Mar 14, 2010, 15:10:
I can haz friend list? Or Ping (without admin mode being given to Steam)?

Kinda of, and no. Friends list is still wonky as hell--I've add Bats about a dozen times with it still not going through. I still have to run both Steam and BC2 as admin in Win7 64 to get server pings. That said, at least the list seems to be refreshing somewhat faster now. It's only frustrating until you get into a good server, and then all the worries fade into the background.

Is it wrong that I've already got all the medic unlocks?

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Mar 13, 2010, 17:06 Bucky

Handy graph on the BC2 weapons. Nice to see that the feel of guns matches the performance.

The thing I found hardest to get used to in BC2 is the weapon firing model. Bullets have travel time and are subject to gravity. At first I was over-compensating a great deal, though I've nixed that habit even if it did take me until level 7. Of course, this all came after I broke the MW2 bad habits. *sigh*

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Mar 12, 2010, 22:11 Bucky

I've heard too many good things about Arkham Asylum to pass it up. Just Cause was a bonus, though I only picked it up because the bundle is cheaper than Arkham Asylum alone.  

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Server Fixes
18. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Server Fixes Mar 7, 2010, 09:51 Bucky

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 7, 2010, 09:29:
PB problems are server related, servers have to reboot manually for the R5 and PB update to work, but many didn't do that yet (its sunday, after all).

Give it another day or 2.. seems a troublesome start indeed.

Yeah, I can't get into a single game right now. Keep getting kicked by PB. *sigh*

7. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Server Fixes Mar 6, 2010, 21:53 Bucky

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 6, 2010, 21:34:
Can anyone confirm or deny that it appears Win7 users are having more issues than others?

XP here and not many issues.
Just can't join a friends game.

My issues are getting worse. I've had four consecutive CTDs now, where I had none for the first few days. I'm still wishing for a good server browser, since the quick play system likes to either stick me in Europe or on a password protected server.

I'm quickly developing a love/hate relationship with this game.

1. Re: Metaverse Mar 6, 2010, 18:29 Bucky

I dropped Firefox for Chrome a few months back. Now I'm playing with Opera 10.5 alongside Chrome 4.0.(something). I've always been an Opera fan (heck, I even paid for it once upon a time). I've gotta say, I'm fairly impressed. I might be making the switch back to Opera. I still prefer Chrome's use of the menu bar as the tab interface, though.  

2. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Server Fixes Mar 6, 2010, 18:26 Bucky

Gotta give them credit where it's due--they are pushing out updates at a fast pace.  

News Comments > Speedier BC2 Server Browsing
10. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 11:04 Bucky

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 6, 2010, 10:40:
Wow, all the rage. Zero problems here.

/edit Now the FRIENDS list, that is a whole new thread. I can't join games from friends list, I have to look what server they are on then go find that server and jump in. There have been lots of mini updates, and each one fixes 1 feature of the browser then breaks another.

We shouldn't complain so much though, they are giving us a lot more than other recent games. (yes you MW2)

I rage because it's such a good game. I'm having more fun in multiplayer than I've had in years, but only when I can get into a good server. I know the problems will get addressed, and I know things are worse in other games. The fact is, I want to play the game, so I'd like it if the obstructions were removed.

News Comments > Speedier BC2 Server Browsing
4. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 07:13 Bucky

Hell, I can't even get pings to work for me. Running the .exe right from the game directory as admin doesn't work, either. The server browser needs serious work, and it needs it fast.  

2326 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo