Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bucky

Real Name Bucky   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Game handle: Ventus
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com
Signed On Aug 20, 2003, 21:03
Total Comments 2328 (Senior)
User ID 18104

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Brink Class Trailer, EU Preorder Bonuses
7. Re: Brink Class Trailer, EU Preorder Bonuses Mar 15, 2011, 18:25 Bucky

Morgan19 wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 18:19:
Is Brink's only mode like ET:QW, in that you sort of have "scripted" MP levels? Like it's do one objective, proceed to the next section of the map, do something else, proceed, etc.?

If that's the case, that would be the one thing I'm not too excited about... That rigid setup (vs. something like a domination mode, where your overall progression and chokpoints are more fluid) never appealed to me much, just seemed too forced.

I'm not certain on that one, but I believe that's the case. I've certainly only seen the objective-style described in previews. I believe they've attempted to make it a bit more fluid through the creation of secondary objectives, which are either class-based or universal.

I prefer the attack/defend style of objective based maps, or the straight up mayhem of FFA, though I doubt I'll have my wish granted on that one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Brink Class Trailer, EU Preorder Bonuses
4. Re: Brink Class Trailer, EU Preorder Bonuses Mar 15, 2011, 16:52 Bucky

I've had this pre-ordered through Steam for awhile now. I can't wait to play it.

What has me the most excited is their thoughts on gameplay, especially one-hit kills.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Beta Patch
10. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 18:26 Bucky

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 18:21:
After a few days of playing it I really can handle all the changes to Dragon Age 2 except for one.

I have been in the same 3 tilesets OVER and OVER and OVER. I am sick of seeing 1 HUGE cave split up into smaller parts for quests, or some extra walls thrown in trying to make a new map. It's cheap, lazy and unprofessional. I am really surprised Bioware did this.

That one bothers me a bit, though I can deal with it. What drives me nuts is the console style menus for setting party tactics--that just pisses me off.

Otherwise, I far prefer Dragon Age 2 to DA:O, though I reserve final judgement until I've finished at least one playthrough of DA2.

News Comments > Op Ed
46. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2011, 19:24 Bucky

I can understand where people are coming from, especially considering that DA2 is a significant shift away from DA:O. I've enjoyed DA:O a great deal, and I spent several hours with the demo for DA2 yesterday. I'm obviously in the very small minority here, but I loved the DA2 demo. I've got a signature copy of DA2 on the way from Amazon, and I'm itching to play it.

No, I'm not 15 and I haven't owned a console since the NES. I prefer action RPGs to the cRPG, and I personally think that Bioware's true strength is in the action RPG department.

/me uses Greater Warmth Balm

News Comments > Technology of Dragon Age II
24. Re: Technology of Dragon Age II Mar 6, 2011, 00:15 Bucky

briktal wrote on Mar 5, 2011, 23:54:
Prez wrote on Mar 5, 2011, 23:48:
Technology so advanced, we had to remove the tactical view!

What a bad decision.

Did people actually use that, or did they just get mad that they zoomed out one mousewheel click too far?

I've been working my way through DA:Ultimate for the last few weeks, and I only use the tactical view when I slip. I won't miss it at all.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue - Games of Thrones Mar 3, 2011, 20:41 Bucky

Verno wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 15:40:
TorchMaster wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 11:44:
With that said, there are many that think this is the best fantasy series by the best writer in the genre, so if you aren't familiar with it you should consider checking it out.

He's really overrated in my opinion. His taste for cruelty appeals to peoples inner deviant but the series itself doesn't seem to have any direction and his prose is good but not up to Patrick Rothfuss, Steven Erikson or Joe Abercromie. His characterization is strong, I will give him that at least. He writes in a style I liken to a medieval soap opera and I suspect that's where a lot of his "mainstream" fantasy appeal comes from. I'm surprised anyone is willing to tolerate the years long wait between his books either, the man spends umpteen hours updating his blog about cons, football and pizza but whoops he can't seem to write until his advances are due. At one point a friend of mine was whining about how he had missed his fourth announced release date for his latest book. I couldn't help but think of a terrible battered spouse analogy.

My vote for best author in the genre would probably go to Erikson, though that's partly colored by the fact that I'm re-reading the series right now as preparation for the last two books (of which the last was just released, I believe).

News Comments > Serious Sam 3 Screenshots, Details
18. Re: Serious Sam 3 Screenshots, Details Feb 28, 2011, 16:13 Bucky

16 player co-op! Am I reading that right?

Where do I pre-order?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 27, 2011, 21:27 Bucky

Jerykk wrote on Feb 27, 2011, 21:05:
You seem to have enjoyed it. I know you don't think it's worth $60. At what price would you consider buying it and supporting "fuck you pc gamers" Blezinskinskiowski.

I think $30 is a reasonable price for the PC version. It's a fun game but it's only 7 hours long on the highest difficulty setting. There are also a number of technical issues, namely:

1) It uses GFWL.
2) AA is broken. It does a poor job of hiding the aliasing and it cuts your performance in half, even if you only use 2XAA.
3) Mouse smoothing and a framerate cap are enabled by default and the only way to turn them off is by editing the encrypted ini files.
4) I had a lot of visual bugs with flickering shadows and thick blue fog. Evidently this is because the game's auto-detect settings don't work properly for all videocards. I had to find and download a modified ini file to fix those issues.
5) Evidently 16:10 resolutions run like crap, even though higher 16:9 resolutions run twice as fast.

So yeah, they could have put some more effort into the PC port.

FYI, you'll want to check out the stickies here for the ini stuff: http://www.bulletstormforum.com/bulletstorm-pc/

#'s 1,2, and 3 were all issues for me. I've finished the game, as well as played most of the Echoes levels, and overall I've enjoyed it. It's a shining example of how not to do a port, but there's a decent game hidden in there.

I picked it up for $45 from D2D, and while it isn't worth that price, I don't feel burned. I'd say $40 if you need something to play and understand what you're buying, $25-$30 is more appropriate for the game.

News Comments > On PC Bulletstorm
2. Re: On PC Bulletstorm Feb 23, 2011, 21:36 Bucky

All I've had to do through .ini settings is turn off mouse smoothing, everything else I've needed has been available through the in-game menu. It looks good, runs good, and honestly the gameplay is a ton of fun. I picked this up with a D2D sale code for $45 and it's already proving well worth it.

With all of that said, this game has almost everything we hate about shitty ports; right down to a message box (every single damn time!) telling me not to shut the machine off when I see the loading icon. It even enables Auto-Aim and Aim-Assist by default; it's almost enough to make me want to strangle someone with my mouse.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Bulletstorm reviews Feb 23, 2011, 18:12 Bucky

From what I've played so far, Bulletstorm is actually a good game. It's got some really rough port-itis, but the ad campaign actually made the game seem more crass and juvenile than it actually is. That isn't to say it isn't both of those things, but it's not quite so deliberate as it would seem--and the gameplay is (so far) very fun.  

News Comments > Valve: Portal 2 "Finished"
9. Re: Valve: Portal 2 Feb 20, 2011, 16:06 Bucky

Ray Marden wrote on Feb 20, 2011, 15:55:
Personally, the nicest thing would be if they just scrapped any "episode 3" mindset and jumped straight into HL3 - new engine, new story, a full game, etc.

I'm willing to bet this is exactly what they've already done. Valve has shown in the past that they'll re-do an entire game if they feel the need--just look at TF2.

News Comments > Valve: Portal 2 "Finished"
2. No subject Feb 20, 2011, 14:39 Bucky

Yup, already pre-ordered. I just fired up Portal today for fun, only to realize that during one of the major Steam updates play stats were all reset. So now I have to get all the achievements again...

Also, I'd swear that those radios weren't there before.

News Comments > Portal 2 Preorders, Specs
18. Re: Portal 2 Preorders, Specs Feb 14, 2011, 17:56 Bucky

Fion wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 17:08:
Dammit all these good games are coming out in the next few months and I'm trying to save my money lol.

Crysis 2
Portal 2
Dragon Age 2
Bulletstorm
Dawn of War 2
Shogun 2
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
etc...

I'm looking forward to all of them. And the above list doesn't even include May releases like Brink, Duke Nukem, Witcher 2, Red Faction: Armageddon, etc.

I guess in the end I'll just have to resign a number of the above games to my steam wish list. :/ Ah well, that will leave plenty of games for the slow seasons.

Yeah, a lot of this years games will hit my Steam wishlist. Now, when the 2011 Christmas Sale (or god help my credit card, the summer sale) rolls around, I'll buy 'em all up.

People can say whatever they want about PC gaming, but in my 15ish years as a PC gamer it's never been this good--even if the PC isn't the primary platform.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Gold
17. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 13:11 Bucky

Slashman wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 12:53:
Here's the thing. We already have a Mass Effect. And don't get me wrong...I love Mass Effect 1 and 2. I think that series pretty much stands on its own as more than decent.

What I didn't need, was a fantasy version of ME 2. ME 3 is around the corner.

DA:O was a good game and did well for itself as a classic RPG. I don't much mind some combat improvements(pacing changes).

I do mind not being able to choose race. Not being able to fully customize my entire party with weapons and armor. And apparently they have removed the social skills like persuasion and pick pocketing...as I didn't see any of them on the skill screen in the gameplay vids.

All in an effort to emulate ME2. Why make the same damn game twice? What is wrong with having diversity in your games. I want to play ME3...I don't want to play it twice with one playthrough being in a fantasy setting and exactly 3 moral options for every dilemma I encounter.

I hope that clears up some of what have made people unhappy with what has been seen of the game?

One more thing. In the gameplay vids...did you see them send the rogue ahead to scout for traps and enemies like it made sense to do in DA:O? I'm guessing that's because traps have probably been removed from dungeon areas in favor of just bludgeoning your way through with your group. Very RPGish...

Those are fair points, and rather hard to argue against without having DA2 available to play. I tend to be more optimistic about games than most of the Blue's crowd, and I've never had a deep love for the more traditional RPG games. Hack-n-Slash and Action RPGs have always been more fun for me, which undoubtedly colors my view of the changes to DA2.

I do appreciate your response though; I hadn't considered it from all of the angles you presented. It also helps to have a clear and concise response, since gamers tend to rant a bit when they don't like things.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Gold
13. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 08:43 Bucky

It's funny, but I'm consistently surprised by all the hate for DA2. From everything I've seen it looks like they made the combat better, while also going for a higher level of immersion; though admittedly that will remove some of the gameplay and control elements from the first game.

No matter though, my preorder was in long ago. I can't wait for this one.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Patched
2. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Patched Feb 8, 2011, 17:59 Bucky

It appears there's a hardline pro nerf on the way, no more rerolling every crate drop; it'll be limited to care packages. A shame, I loved abusing that one.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 6, 2011, 20:30 Bucky

Monday Night Combat is a blast, though it requires a shift in gameplay thinking. From what I've seen, few people that start out with it have any experience with DotA-style gameplay; meaning they focus more on killing each other than lane pushing, tactical engagements, and base defense.

The assassin is a perfect example of this. A new player will use it purely as a pro-killer, while a good player will use it for it's primary funtion: lane pushing. She's also fairly adept at dropping base defenses, and then there's always the option of picking off the lone pro that's too ripe a target to pass up.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Double XP Weekend
9. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Double XP Weekend Feb 4, 2011, 18:14 Bucky

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 17:25:
ExitWound wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 16:02:
Now you can get to level 50 in half of no-time-at-all. Seriously...getting to max level can be done in a weekend. Ridiculous.

Without playing newbtown all day, you can prestige in around 8-12 hours with good fun gameplay.

Now, you can cut that in abuot half, so probably prestige 2x this weekend.

Holy crap man?! How do you level that fast? Play aggressively, don't use the same weapons, do contracts, don't camp. Try looking at the bonuses, contracts, perks, etc to get all of the bonuses and upgrades to get points faster. It isn't uncommon from level 1-40 to get 20-30k points a map. So now make that 40-60k a map.

It would help if they'd fix the attachments bug; they still don't reset for me after I prestige. Most of them have been maxed for me since my second prestige.

I'll probably jump back into Black Ops this weekend to peg a prestige or two, though I've recently discovered Monday Night Combat, so my time may be split somewhat.

News Comments > Crysis II System Requirements
12. Re: Crysis II System Requirements Feb 2, 2011, 12:17 Bucky

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 11:45:
yeah thats why they are called "minimum" requirements

Woops, I read that as 'recommended' requirements for some reason. I stand corrected.

News Comments > Crysis II System Requirements
5. Re: Crysis II System Requirements Feb 2, 2011, 11:39 Bucky

I can't really say I'm surprised. Cross-platform support has meant that requirements have been held down for some time now. My rig just passed the 2 year old mark, which in days gone by would have been ancient and barely adequate to play the latest crop of games. All I've done is upgrade the vid card once (to a 5850) and otherwise I haven't found a game yet that's really pushed my system.  

2328 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo