Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bucky

Real Name Bucky   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Game handle: Ventus
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com
Signed On Aug 20, 2003, 21:03
Total Comments 2329 (Senior)
User ID 18104

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jul 2, 2011, 16:15 Bucky

I bit on Darksiders, the id Super pack, and the Magicka DLC. Also purchased Plants vs Zombies GotY for a friend, because everyone should own that game.

If you've got a gamepad, I highly recommend Super Meat Boy--it's a superb platformer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
15. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 1, 2011, 15:59 Bucky

Beware the hype. I'm not saying RAGE won't be good, but this video reminds me way too much of the marketing for Brink.  

News Comments > Steam Summer Camp Sale Begins
21. Re: Steam Summer Camp Sale Begins Jun 30, 2011, 16:31 Bucky

Creston wrote on Jun 30, 2011, 16:15:
Bucky wrote on Jun 30, 2011, 16:09:
If I was smart I'd just cancel my credit card right now. I still haven't gotten to all of the games from the last few sales...

*sigh*

Look at it this way, Bucky. When you have a few dozen games stashed away (for cheap), you'll have several years worth of games to play when the game industry inevitably turns into a "Pay By The Minute" Rent-fest on someone's servers.

That's the day when I stop buying games, so I plan to make sure to have around a hundred games stored up.

As for Recettear, I think I'll skip that. Seems a little too much like work to me... (I read a few reviews.)

Creston

I think the indies will help to prevent that; either through outright competition or by giving the true PC gamer a new outlet.

Still, I agree with the strategy of buying games for pennies, and then saving them up. It's worked well so far.

There's not much to interest me today. DoWII: Retribution won't tempt me until the DLC goes on sale too. As it is, all of the DLC is more than the game's full retail price. The only thing I'm tempted to buy is The Witcher 2, but I may just wait for the winter sale and hope it comes down some more.

News Comments > Steam Summer Camp Sale Begins
14. Re: Steam Summer Camp Sale Begins Jun 30, 2011, 16:09 Bucky

If I was smart I'd just cancel my credit card right now. I still haven't gotten to all of the games from the last few sales...

*sigh*

News Comments > Xonar Audio Card Drivers
8. Re: Xonar Audio Card Drivers Jun 29, 2011, 20:39 Bucky

Jay wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 17:44:
PropheT wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 16:19:
What do you think of your card?

Was considering buying one of these because of the bleh onboard audio I have been using, but it's hard to justify the money these days.

I have Xonar DX. It's WAY better than my onboard card thanks to dolby headphone support, and it actually does LFE crossover correctly (unlike cheapo realtek chips) so I get much better bass when using speakers. In terms of signal clarity - i can't really tell, but the reviews indicate that it's much better. :/

All my future builds will have a Xonar for sure.

I've had a Xonar DX for a few years now, and I agree completely. With any decent speakers or headphones you'll immediately notice a huge difference in sound quality.

These drivers aren't up on the main support page yet, so I'll wait until they make it there before I try them out.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
30. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 27, 2011, 11:12 Bucky

JoeNapalm wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 10:22:
Bucky wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 09:40:
Damnit, Jaguar. I've lost a few hours to the demo for Space Pirates and Zombies, and it's still in Beta. That one could end up swallowing a lot of my time; it reminds me in ways of Space Rangers 2.

So...that's either really really good, or really really bad.

Because Space Rangers 2 is one of my most conflicted gaming experiences, ever.

When it was good, it was like playing a game version of Firefly...and when it was bad - well, it was pretty bad.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Oh, I understand. I had a serious love/hate relationship with that game, even going so far as to buy it multiple times (because the first time, I was unaware of....<whisper>Starforce</whisper>.

I meant the Space Rangers 2 reference in a good way, though I haven't played SPAZ enough to tell just how much depth it has.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 27, 2011, 09:40 Bucky

JaguarUSF wrote on Jun 26, 2011, 19:17:
nin wrote on Jun 26, 2011, 15:48:
I'm the same way. It seems like lately, there's a ton of good indie stuff out...
Infested Planet
Solar 2
Hacker Evolution Duality
Vertex Dispenser
Proun
QuadSmash
Space Pirates and Zombies

Damnit, Jaguar. I've lost a few hours to the demo for Space Pirates and Zombies, and it's still in Beta. That one could end up swallowing a lot of my time; it reminds me in ways of Space Rangers 2.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 26, 2011, 15:14 Bucky

I picked up Terraria a couple of days ago, and I'm loving it.

My gaming habits, especially this year, have been heavily in favor of indie titles. They offer far more for the money, and they're simply more fun. AAA titles have such huge budgets that they have to remain mainstream just to break even, while indies can be adventurous with their games.

Honestly, this reminds me of the last golden age of PC gaming, which for me was the late 90s. There are lots of new titles breaking new ground, and tons of fun to be had.

Now if only we could get a good new multiplayer FPS title, I'd be perfectly content. I had such high hopes for Brink, but we all know how that turned out.

News Comments > First Brink DLC to be Free for Two Weeks
19. Re: First Brink DLC to be Free for Two Weeks Jun 24, 2011, 20:28 Bucky

Elessar wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 17:23:
SectorEffector wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 15:20:
worst pre-order mistake I've made yet.
Same here and never again (or at least until high anticipation for a game blinds my judgement and I do it again!)

Add me to that group. It happens every couple of years to me. Hype sells me, game bombs, and I'm more cautious going forward. Unfortunately that may not last it's usual year or two, since I'm already foaming at the mouth for Battlefield 3 and Skyrim.

News Comments > Frozen Synapse Soundtrack
10. Re: Frozen Synapse Soundtrack Jun 17, 2011, 05:52 Bucky

ASeven wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 05:18:
This game is pure awesome, a must for any strategy fan. This is one of those rare games every PC gamer should own.

+1

I haven't had a chance to play it in a few days, and it's driving me nuts. This game is a true gem. The only slight drawback is that their server simply couldn't keep up, so they broke up the servers individually to handle the load. While stats are global, the games remain locked to a specific server. I believe they're working on fixing this (and making everything global) but it hasn't happened yet.

Edit: It appears they're well on the way to sorting this out. http://www.mode7games.com/blog/

PC Gaming > What game should I play next?
7. Re: What game should I play next? Jun 13, 2011, 16:03 Bucky

Beamer wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 13:56:
Frozen Synapse

I find my refusal to buy this hysterical.
It's 2 for $24.95, which means its value is $12.50. I won't buy it for twice that. Yes, I get two copies, but I have no one to share it with so it's meaningless.

If it was 1 for $19.99 and 2 for $24.95 I'd probably be ok. That $5 barely means anything to me, anyway, but something about having to pay the exact same price for 2 even though I'll only use one strikes me as insane. Bad, bad pricing idea.

As I understand it, the game was always targeted at that price point. The developers simply decided to include an extra copy to help grow the fan base, so assuming it's $25 for two copies is inaccurate--at least as far as their intentions go.

A single copy is worth $25 easily, anyway. That is, of course, assuming you like turn based tactical gameplay.

PC Gaming > What game should I play next?
5. Re: What game should I play next? Jun 12, 2011, 21:46 Bucky

I highly recommend Super Meat Boy, especially for short gaming sessions. It's a platformer at it's finest (and hardest). This game pretty much requires a gamepad, I wouldn't even try with a keyboard setup.

After that, I'd say Titan Quest: Immortal Throne. Immortal Throne is an addition to the base game; starting on Immortal Throne will allow you to play through TQ with all of the classes and then continue into the Immortal Throne storyline. Be certain to grab the fanpatch for TQ before you play, though.

I'd actually fired up TQ recently, trying to scratch a hack-n-slash itch I've had. Instead I've wasted most of today playing with the Din's Curse demo in between matches of Frozen Synapse. I don't even want to look at how long my unplayed list is...

News Comments > Brink Patched
3. Re: Brink Patched Jun 8, 2011, 23:18 Bucky

Ping is now displayed numerically on the scoreboard

Having to patch that in really irritates me. I find it hard to believe claims that effort has been put into the PC port when the idiot lights are left on.

I'll probably give Brink another go this weekend--I've gotta at least try to get my money's worth.

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
6. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 4, 2011, 13:38 Bucky

I hadn't been paying much attention to Rage. Now I am.  

News Comments > Dragon Age II Patch
18. Re: Dragon Age II Patch Jun 3, 2011, 17:59 Bucky

Bhruic wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 16:59:
Yeah, honestly the massive hate for this game is a severe over-reaction. Everyone wanted Origins 2.0, and when we didn't get it, they flipped out. Without making comparisons to other games, this one is fairly enjoyable. That's not saying there aren't areas that could be improved - significantly in some cases, like the enemies spawning, and the re-used maps, but those aren't, imo, enough to sink the game.

Check out the demo, and if you find that decent, well, you'd probably like the game. The demo, again imo, is a weak example of how good the game is.

Agreed.

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas Honest Hearts Issues
10. Re: Fallout New Vegas Honest Hearts Issues May 20, 2011, 20:14 Bucky

I played through Fallout 3 once a while ago, and don't remember much of it. I've just cracked open Fallout: New Vegas in the last couple of days.

Out of curiosity, which one do you all think is the better game?

News Comments > Brink Patch Next Week
3. Re: Brink Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 17:57 Bucky

I find the more I play Brink, the more I like it. It definitely takes some getting used to; but once that happens things really start to fall into place.  

News Comments > IGN sells Direct2Drive?
8. Re: IGN sells Direct2Drive? May 20, 2011, 16:28 Bucky

I bailed from Impulse when it was sold to Gamestop, and I've been slowly duplicating what games I did purchase through Impulse as sales come along. Fortunately my Impulse library isn't very large.

The only games I've purchased through D2D have been Steamworks games (and a couple of ancient Fileplanet freebies), so I don't have any worries on this count. I also don't hate GameFly, which helps.

News Comments > Brink Tweak Tool
15. Re: Brink Tweak Tool May 16, 2011, 21:51 Bucky

It's part of your character setup. Not being able to change in-game makes some sense, but having no ability to either change body size or character in-between rounds does suck.

Not that it matters much to me right now, since I prefer the medium body type by far.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Interview
2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Interview May 15, 2011, 21:52 Bucky

I'm probably going to disappear for a week when this finally comes out. Heck, just reading this stuff makes me want to fire up Guild Wars again.

The constant information tease is killing me. What makes it even worse is knowing that we probably won't see it until 2012.

2329 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo