Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bucky

Real Name Bucky   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Game handle: Ventus
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com
Signed On Aug 20, 2003, 21:03
Total Comments 2329 (Senior)
User ID 18104

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3
94. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 Oct 26, 2011, 09:26 Bucky

Verno wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 09:05:
Someone said the commo rose and a few other things were currently in the game but I don't see them and Dice says they'll be added "at a later date".

Hold the spot button for the commo rose. I found that one by accident, it's not clear at all on how to access it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 Oct 25, 2011, 14:52 Bucky

Sphinx wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 14:48:
Oh yeah, want to friend up? Sphinx175 is the name in Origin. Find me. Or don't.

I sent ya a request. I go by Peli83 for anyone interested--just don't let me fly.

44. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 Oct 25, 2011, 14:38 Bucky

I just realized that while Origin automatically made BF3 available, it didn't do the same for the Physical Warfare pre-order items. In case anyone else missed it, make sure to apply the code that EA sends you in the email.

*sigh* That Type-88 LMG would've been really handy earlier...

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 Oct 25, 2011, 13:20 Bucky

LittleMe wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 13:11:
You can change your EA Origin name here: http://www.origin.com/us/change-id

Thank you!

Now for more shooting.

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 Oct 25, 2011, 12:49 Bucky

qsto wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 12:02:
The minimap is downright embarrassing, and although they promised to fix it from beta, it's still next to useless.

You've pressed 'N', correct? It cycles the minimap through 3 zoom levels, and seems quite useful to me.

The release has huge amounts of polish over the beta, and as I said in an earlier thread, just feels right. Spotting is also no longer at the absurd dorito-of-death BC2 levels, now it's really only useful as a temporary marker for teammates.

I had some earlier (read, 2 minutes after unlock) back-end issues when things go overloaded, but since then it's been fine for me. I'd love it if they added the ability to tweak loadouts and compare weapon stats (range, damage, etc) in Battlelog.

The death-cam, while annoying, isn't too bad considering you have to wait for the deployment timer anyway. I can live with it.

As for the meat-grinder maps, I think people need to adjust tactics. So far most of those games are just both teams rushing for the middle point, which leads to lots of death. In one round this morning, someone on the enemy team got smart and flew to the rear flag, had his teammates spawn on him, and capped it. It changes the whole flow at that point, and broke a stalemate that we had been winning. It really boils down to changing your strategy if what you're doing isn't working.

Personally, I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm having an absolute blast with the game, even though I still can't fly worth a damn. At least I'm good in the AA vehicles.

Edit: I'd love the ability to change my handle. I wish I'd known that my EA account name would apply to the game itself.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 PC Checklist
7. Re: RE: Follow up Oct 25, 2011, 01:21 Bucky

Honestly, anyone not picking it up is missing out. I just played for an hour, and had an absolute blast. The game is seriously polished and refined beyond what the beta showed, and runs like a dream at cranked up settings.

I had played for about 10 minutes, and all I could think was "Yes." Anyone more eloquent (and less tired) than I can fill in the details, but I'd strongly suggest people on the fence go and buy it.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 PC Checklist
3. Re: oh yeah.... Oct 24, 2011, 23:50 Bucky

Yup, moved up to midnight release east coast. It should be interesting seeing how well their back-end handles this, considering much of the gaming population will be awake and itching to play.  

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Reviews
84. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 23:48 Bucky

So now it's telling me it'll go live at midnight. And I just got home. I may not sleep tonight....  

34. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 14:32 Bucky

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 14:09:
Put differently, people forgave Steam for its various bumblings and oddities over the years because there was nothing else. EA had an existing standard to meet which I would argue they didn't do much to even try hitting.

I can understand that. Right now I'm giving Origin passing marks for the same reason I dealt with Steam years ago: the game it contains is worth overlooking the minor issues. With BF3 exposing the system to a much larger audience I expect them to improve rapidly, if not, then I'll hate Origin just as much as everyone else.

The release date check tells me it'll unlock at 03:00 ET. Does anyone know if they're using a 12 or 24 clock? I'd hate to have to go to work in the afternoon right as the game is unlocking...

28. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 14:03 Bucky

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 13:40:
I can't even remove some games from my Origin list. It just arbitrarily decides what stays and what I'm allowed to remove. BF3 Alpha? Stays no matter what. BF3 beta? Can be removed. Dead Space 2? Ok you can remove that. I guess I am expecting too much from what is basically a QT based EADM reskin.

Every service has it's problems. I've had a duplicate listing of CivIV+expansions in Steam for so long that I created a separate category just so I wouldn't have to look at them. Steam also does not provide a good notification of platform updates. I've had my internet go down, restart the computer, and then find out I can't even enter offline mode because Steam needs to be updated.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Steam is superior to Origin, but lets not forget Steam had a rocky start too. Remember how long it took for the friends system to actually function?

8. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 10:56 Bucky

Tomorrow can't get here fast enough.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 20, 2011, 14:42 Bucky

Verno wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 13:05:
For example Bucky lists something about putting his games on one but there are probably less than 20 games on the entire market that see appreciable load time reductions with an SSD and most of those are MMOs. That situation likely won't change until games aren't designed around consoles either. Traditional hard drives are fantastic for storage purposes, relatively reliable overall and cheap. SSDs are already in a pretty decent sweet spot price-wise and the benefits of running your operating system with one are both substantial and noticeable.

See, now you're just trying to ruin my fun.

I know there won't be much improvement beyond some initial load times, and even then it'll be minimal. That's the nice thing about a gaming rig though, I don't need a reasonable excuse for an upgrade. I won't be doing any upgrades for another 6 months or so anyway (waiting on Ivy Bridge and Kepler) so, with luck, SSD prices should improve even more by then.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 20, 2011, 12:39 Bucky

If OCZ can get decent performance in a SSD for around $1/GB, I'll finally bite. I've been refusing to pick up an SSD that's under 500GB (if it can't fit my entire Steam folder, I'll pass), and at that size they're still too expensive.  

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers
2. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers Oct 19, 2011, 23:38 Bucky

Downloading these now for BF3. The beta didn't run bad on the 11.9s, so these plus final code should make things nice and smooth.  

News Comments > Battlefield 3 MP Trailer
30. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Trailer Oct 19, 2011, 13:23 Bucky

Beamer wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 13:16:
Halo 3 also let you watch replays of entire games, which was enormously awesome and I'm shocked no PC dev has done this as the ability to save these, to scroll through them faster, and to upload them to YouTube would be insane.

UT still had the best stats.

CoD: Black Ops had to ability to replay full matches, watch from any perspective, and edit the videos to your taste. I can't remember if it offered YouTube uploading, though. Black Ops actually provided a great deal of information, including heat maps for hit locations. Sadist that I am, my shots were always most concentrated on the groin.

27. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Trailer Oct 19, 2011, 13:19 Bucky

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 13:11:
THere are so many other great games coming out - I don't see a reason to buy this game at this price point, with the 3rd party service, and everything else thrown in......maybe one day when it is 20.00 and I have exhausted everything else. But I am still sticking to my no BF3 and no MW3.....

It depends on what you're looking for. There hasn't been much in the way of multiplayer manshooters that have caught my attention. I've sworn off the CoD series in order to avoid injuring myself--it's the only game that has ever induced violent rage. With Dead Space 2 and the pre-order goodies thrown in, I couldn't pass BF3 up.

Torchlight 2 and Skyrim are both pre-order or Day One purchases, but there are about 20 other game that I want that I just have to put off. It's a tough time to be a gamer--I have so many options that it's hard to decide which ones come first.

13. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Trailer Oct 19, 2011, 12:36 Bucky

Well that trailer did it's job, I'm now completely psyched for the game. I may have to take Tuesday/Wednesday off....  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 19, 2011, 12:34 Bucky

Rumors have the Galaxy Nexus launch pegged for Nov 10, and it can't come soon enough. I'm on the original Droid, which is just barely hanging on to life. A couple of months ago I managed to develop a severe case of gremlins in the phone, and now there's a 50/50 shot that my touchscreen will just start taking commands....even though I'm not touching it.  

News Comments > DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta "Mission Accomplished"
22. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 12:51 Bucky

elefunk wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 12:23:
Creston wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 11:17:
Bucky wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 11:15:
but I do think the web-based browsing/launching system is a good idea, and could really be good if they tighten it up a bit more.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think it's a good idea? It seems needlessly cumbersome to me.

Creston
For me personally, I liked it far better than any server browser that DICE has ever produced. The length of time between clicking a server and getting in game wasn't longer, and before looking at servers, I didn't need to sit through an array of splash screens either. Nor did I need to go through some weird hack or tweak of deleting splash screen videos or modifying my launch script to circumvent splash screens.

It was even faster for me than getting into a game of Team Fortress 2. I saved a favorite place on my browser to Battlelog, so whenever I wanted to play BF3, I'd click that favorite place, and seconds later be joining a server. Without needing to load the game first, the entire process was much faster.

And finally, the simple fact that they can update Battlelog without releasing a full Client patch means that whatever issues that do exist will be fixed much quicker. Throughout the first few days of the beta, they released 5-6 updates that fixed most of the issues people were encountering.

That covers most of it. I think the true strength of the system will be the ease of updates for DICE. They'll be able to add features and improvements without the same amount of development effort it would take to do it in-game.

I'm the kind of person that likes to look at stats, mess with loadouts, and sometimes just check to see if a favorite server has anyone playing. Having all of this outside of the actual game makes the process quicker and easier, and I can have the game loading silently in the background if I do choose to play. Moving everything except what's required for gameplay outside of the game code would be fine with me, provided it's done right.

I'll grant that change, just for the sake of change, isn't necessarily good unless they provide a greater feature set than they could from an in-game system. So far, that seems to be the case. There's also the legitimate concern that the entire system could shut down when EA determines that BF3's life is over, but that's not a concern for me since I usually don't stick with a multiplayer game for more than a couple of years.

News Comments > DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta "Mission Accomplished"
4. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 11:15 Bucky

I for one can't wait until the release, I had a blast on Caspain Border. I'm not particularly happy with Origin, but I do think the web-based browsing/launching system is a good idea, and could really be good if they tighten it up a bit more.

Now I just need to learn how to fly.

2329 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo