Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bucky

Real Name Bucky   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Game handle: Ventus
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com
Signed On Aug 20, 2003, 21:03
Total Comments 2327 (Senior)
User ID 18104

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer
14. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 13, 2012, 12:44 Bucky

theglaze wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 11:48:
Bad Company 2 had the Rush map sizes damn near perfect. On most BF3 maps, its just too open and too far to run on foot, especially with so many vehicles involved now. BC2 played tight and it was far more infantry focused which a single soldier able to sneak through and change the momentum of a game.

That's what I want this map pack to be, tight BC2 styled gameplay with a hint of CS heroism/adrenaline rush when you know your actions change the outcome of the match.

I have little interest in CoD inspired deathmatch...

+1

The BF3 rush maps have always felt like a letdown compared to BC2. I went from preferring rush to favoring conquest (32 player) in BF3. As for infantry only maps.....why? If that's what I wanted I'd play CoD.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Hardware > Headphones
7. No subject Mar 13, 2012, 12:22 Bucky

Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 10:27:
For a microphone there's an easy solution to turn any decent pair of headphones into a headset - Antlion Modmic. This thing basically mounts/attaches to the side of any headphones and provides a detachable point using a small magnet. The 3M epoxy holds well, it won't hurt the headphones in any way and the included mic is very high quality, easily better than any gamer headset.

I might have to try that out. The desktop mic works well, but it seems to always be in my way.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access
24. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 12:13 Bucky

nin wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 11:31:
But then we'd have to play with the likes of you!

I know we had me, Creston, Bucky, Complicity (who hardly posts anymore), I think Dan, and I'm trying to remember who else.

It was a good time. I recall one person's in-game name was Mord Kai or something similar, but I can't remember what his Blue's handle was. I'm sure I'll remember more after I post this.

As for the various editions, honestly I could buy the $150 CE, never play it, and still feel I've gotten a good deal because of how much time I put into the original GW. I'm resisting buying it right now, but I'll probably break by the end of the day.

Hardware > Headphones
5. Re: Headphones Mar 13, 2012, 09:41 Bucky

I think 'potentially' is the key here. The HD-555s had a noticeably improved soundstage, and I feel that the bass was better too, though that may be due more to the fact that the HD-555 is a technically superior set to the HD-280s than to the design of the headphones.

The thing I should probably make clear is that the bass was more pronounced with the HD-280s, but it wasn't as good. It sounded like they'd been tuned to be a bit heavier at lower frequencies, while the HD-555s seem to have better reproduction across the whole range.

With all this said, I should note that I'm no audiophile. I can help based on my limited experience with two sets, but the Amazon reviews will probably be more helpful overall. I just don't want you to drop that kind of money on my word alone.

Hardware > Headphones
3. Re: Headphones Mar 13, 2012, 00:33 Bucky

Sennheiser. I owned a HD-280 PRO set before finally running over them with the chair. Now I have a HD-555 set, and I love them. Both are incredibly durable and put out fantastic sound. Both sets have made me completely loyal to the brand. My HD-555 have been dropped from the desk more times than I can count, I've run over the cord with the chair even more frequently, and they still sound fantastic and show only minimal signs of wear after years of use.

I'm pushing the sound to them with the Asus Xonar DX card, which was a huge step up from the onboard sound. Creative made me swear off sound cards, which was fine until I heard the difference that sound card made.

Looking through my history, I've had the Xonar since April 08, and the HD-555s since March 08. A pretty good track record for both.

Edit: I chose long ago to use a basic Logitech USB mic for voice communication. No one has ever had a problem hearing me, and it gave me a larger range of headphones to choose from.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2012, 12:04 Bucky

Give me DST year-round, please. I much prefer to have my daylight at the end of the day. It happens to coincide perfectly this year thanks to the excellent start to March (60s all week, woo!) The bike is in the shop and new pedals are on the way, by Friday I'll get to regret not being more religious on the trainer over the winter.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer
4. Re: Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer Mar 2, 2012, 23:57 Bucky

I might need to change my pants after watching that.

I cannot wait to play. The pre-load on my deluxe edition is done, I'm going to finish up my ME2 playthrough this weekend (damn lost save...), and I'll probably get sick on Tuesday.

News Comments > Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated
30. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 23:54 Bucky

Hammer wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 20:43:
What would be the point? The point would be...YOU enjoying the game the way YOU want it.

You just said: "the most fun I had with Diablo 2 was, like PHJF, building up new characters from scratch... "

You will still be able to do that!!

What? Are you saying, that because you're not OBLIGATED to do so, that you won't enjoy it as much??!?

This is the insanity I see in most of the posts that argue against the changes Blizzard has made. Because you are no longer obligated to play a certain way does not mean that you still cannot. So what's the real issue then? Is it that others can choose to play the game in a way that you disagree with? Or is it simply that change is bad?

Admittedly, this is an issue in far more than just games. Just because a person believes something must be done a certain way does not mean everyone else must accept it. The key to it is choice, which people will vigorously defend for themselves while trying to take it from others.

Meh, sorry, I wandered a bit. I'll be creating new low level characters to try different play styles and builds, so that I can try out the low level gear and see how effective those styles are. Just because I don't have to doesn't mean I won't. I'll also be trying out hardcore, and thanks to the (hopefully) secure multiplayer, I'll probably give that a try as well.

16. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 14:59 Bucky

Verno wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 14:34:
Any word on the Torchlight 2 launch date? I know it got pushed back but can't recall if they said anything else. I think I'm more excited about TL2 than this game right now despite having fun with the beta.

I've been keeping an eye on TL2 as well, they haven't set any new release date since November slipped past them. There's a new TL2 website up, and a small closed beta is rumored to be coming up "soon".

10. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 13:50 Bucky

Prez wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 13:33:
I have yet to see a case of a multiplayer environment in which "min-maxers" (the type I assume would use skill "calculators") and people for which it's all about the journey can peacefully coexist. I got griefed out of every other Guild Wars group I joined because I had a 'noob build' and wasn't enamored with pouring over the Ranger/Warrior wiki for hours on end. My coop friends in Diablo (the few times I played it in any other mode then singleplayer) laughed at my gimped characters. The less said about my foray into League of Legends, the better.

This is a large part of the reason why I pre-ordered Diablo 3. I always hated thinking I was screwing up a build with the wrong attribute point allocation, or worrying that a skill I took would turn out to be useless. I'd spend more time researching a class than I would actually playing it. Blizzard has stripped those ridiculous (and needless) restrictions from D3. Instead it's about customizing your character through loot and skill selection, and playing how you want to play.

Beta 13 really pulled the game together, and now I find myself disappointed when I can't continue past the Skeleton King. They need to release the game before I wear out my mouse on the beta.

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears
101. Re: Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears Feb 24, 2012, 23:53 Bucky

If people don't like what Blizzard is doing with Diablo 3, why not set your sights on another game? Torchlight 2 is around the corner, and I think Grim Dawn is targeted for this year as well.  

40. Re: the best gaming experience Feb 24, 2012, 14:20 Bucky

I'm not a fan of the new skills UI either, but the beginner friendly system has actually helped me, so clearly they've met the design goal. It seems like the new skills UI is focused on helping a person build a balanced character, which I wasn't doing before. I prefer to have full tooltips (can't wait until they fix the settings bug), and I'm sure once I have a better handle on the classes I'll switch to the advanced skill setup selection.  

19. Re: Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears Feb 24, 2012, 11:23 Bucky

Alamar wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 11:10:
For me, this is now a Day 1 purchase. I have really enjoyed the beta, and while there are still some connection issues, I'm confident they'll be fixed shortly after release heh...

I pre-ordered D3 last night. I've been a critic of D3 in the past, but Beta 13 made a lot of improvements to the game that I approve of. Blizzard seems intent on questioning every design decision in the game, which ends up being a good thing (e.g. no more skill points) but does hurt them a bit in that delays are inevitable. Their communication and interaction with the community is fantastic, too. Granted, they suck with announcements and release dates, but that's a trade-off I can live with.

I'm still not entirely certain their servers will be up to the task at launch, but if there's one thing Blizzard has experience with it's managing a large number of online players.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Weapon Tweaks Planned
7. Re: Battlefield 3 Weapon Tweaks Planned Feb 23, 2012, 10:37 Bucky

Draugr wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 02:03:
M416
FirstSRecoilMul 2 -> 2.4 -> 2.0

Thats quite the bump on the recoil mutliplier

It was. The last change reverted back to the current recoil modifier. There's no saying it won't be changed again come patch time, but as of the latest update it had been left alone.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Weapon Tweaks Planned
3. Re: Battlefield 3 Weapon Tweaks Planned Feb 22, 2012, 23:57 Bucky

I just got back into BF3 over the weekend, and I like most of these changes. The fore grip change is the most significant, as it will reduce horizontal recoil less (mini-nerf) but will also increase minimum spread (if I'm reading it right-big nerf). It's gone from being a must have attachment to, in my eyes, dropping it in favor of something else.

My preference is for medium rate of fire weapons with good recoil and spread, which is why the M416 is still my favorite gun. Fortunately it looks like it's been left alone, except for the damage buff that all of the assault rifles are getting.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Signups
2. Re: Guild Wars II Beta Signups Feb 22, 2012, 13:46 Bucky

I've been trying very hard not to pay attention to Guild Wars 2. I put more time into Guild Wars than I've put into any other game, and with Guild Wars 2 continuing to look completely awesome, I'm afraid that the anticipation alone may kill me.

I really hope they wait until Fall to release GW2. I'd like to be outside this summer.

News Comments > Gaslamp Games Interview
1. Re: Gaslamp Games Interview Feb 19, 2012, 09:53 Bucky

I was browsing through my Steam library the other day and remembered that I'd picked Dungeons of Dredmor up; I've been playing it since yesterday and I've just come to realize how brilliant it is. For $5, everyone should own this game.  

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Free Weekend
9. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Free Weekend Feb 17, 2012, 14:19 Bucky

Cutter wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 09:21:
I tried this for all of 2 hours before deleting it. Wow, what terrible, terrible multiplayer.

I didn't even make it that long. I've been a fan of the CoD games in the past, but this cow is completely dry now. The game has aged, badly, and it seems all of the map designs were done by people who think the old deathmatch 'killbox' maps were the best thing ever. Frankly, the game looks, and plays, horrible. All that money and an incredibly popular franchise--you'd think they would try to improve on the brand instead of drive it into the ground.

BF3's infantry combat, alone, is far superior to MW3. The one good thing about this free weekend is that it's rekindled my interest in multiplayer FPS--I'm gonna have to play me some more BF3 this weekend.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 17, 2012, 10:10 Bucky

I'd made the switch to Firefox as my primary browser a week ago, and three days later was back to using Chrome. Firefox had slowed to a crawl after a day of usage....it was eating over 1.5GB of memory. I don't know if this was FF or an extension, but since FF without the extensions isn't better than Chrome, it doesn't matter.

I just wish Google would add a real bookmark manager to Chrome.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
16. No subject Feb 12, 2012, 01:44 Bucky

Shok wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 13:50:
I finally just made Chrome my default browser the other day. Firefox causes my video card to crash regularly with the nvidia VPU recovery nonsense. After installing Chrome it's amazing how much faster browsing seems now.

Funny, today I made the switch back to Firefox as my default browser after having had Chrome in that spot for a few years. There's no noticeable performance difference to me, Firefox works better with a few flaky websites, and the Firefox extensions still can't be beat.

What really drove the switch was Chrome's shitty download and bookmark managers, with no good extensions to improve them because of the way Chrome is designed. Sure, a bad extension in Firefox can cause more problems, but the access it has to the browser is also what makes them better.

I discovered Tab Grouping shortly after transitioning all of my bookmarks, and it sealed the deal. I'll still keep Chrome (and Opera) installed, but for now Firefox wins.

2327 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo