Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1511 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 29, 2015, 22:06 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 21:42:
Axis wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 20:12:
Daredevil is fantastic, nothing else to add.

Yup, it's awesome. About halfway through. Next up: Bloodline.

I've sadly got 1 episode left. So far loving the characters, but Fisk steals the show by far.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Crest Apr 29, 2015, 10:10 Pigeon

While the ingredient in question is completely safe... we understand there is a growing preference for us to remove the ingredient. So we will

Legal/Damage control to English Translation: Oh shit, our useless marketing gimmick has back fired creating some real health and environmental concerns. We're going to stop doing that so we don't get sued, but not so quickly it'll look like we've done something wrong.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 27, 2015, 14:04 Pigeon

WaltC wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 10:57:
What I have seen is the government acting on anti-Comcast sentiment that is 100% emotional/political--so it was not "the consumer" who benefited here: it was the anti-Comcast crowd. Makes me feels sorry for the ailing TWC's customer base.

If by 100% emotional/political, you mean people being worried that Comcast will continue to have terrible customer service, drag its feet on upgrading/expanding networks, use its customer base to strong arm other companies into paying them and half ass their offerings for the economically challenged, then yes it was 100% emotional/political.

Past behavior is predictive of future behavior. If they're unmotivated to stop doing those things now, you think handing them an even bigger monopoly is going to change that or make it worse?

News Comments > Diablo III Blood Shard Bans
20. Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 26, 2015, 10:45 Pigeon

NKD wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 09:59:
I have zero problems with rollbacks or bans in leaderboard/competitive play scenarios. Cheating is cheating, regardless of whether you're exploiting an obvious bug, botting, or whatever.

If you take an "Exploits are our fault, so exploit the shit out of them until we fix them!" approach you basically foster an environment where even players who wouldn't otherwise use exploits will use them just to remain competitive, since they know there will be no consequences. I can't think of any game that has gone easy on exploiters and cheaters and at the same time has healthy competitive gameplay modes/features.

One thing is just not compatible with the other.

Pretty much this. I have no problem with this kind of thing either, people who abuse bugs ruin the game for other players. Yes, Blizzard is responsible for any bugs in their game and that means not only do they have a responsibility to fix said bugs, but also having a policy in place that the discourages exploiting bugs before they can be found and fixed.

The attitude of, 'They made a mistake so I can take advantage of it however much I want', is just a weak attempt at justifying antisocial behavior. There are other ways of bringing things like this to attention than exploiting it for personal gain. People are responsible for their own behavior.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 24, 2015, 13:29 Pigeon

We noticed that your app or its metadata contains irrelevant platform information in the app. Providing future platform compatibility plans, or other platform references, is not appropriate for the App Store.

Specifically, your app and app description declare support for thePebble Smartwatch.

Pretty scummy Apple. I'd say the information is relevant to their customers, but then they're heavily invested in keeping the shiny Apple blinders on their customers. I know I've seen things proclaiming iOS support on Google play store, so it doesn't seem like an industry wide practice.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Solitaire Apr 24, 2015, 10:03 Pigeon

I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get their simple solitaire game on my machine. It involved making a Microsoft account which turns your computer login into an internet based login to Microsoft, which also installed some automatic cloud storage program for Microsoft which couldn't be fully turned off, or uninstalled without getting rid of all the microsoft/xbox live crap you just, supposedly, had to install to get the game.

The game itself only plays in a full screen metro-interface, has achievements and the occasional prompt for micro-transactions. At least I can ignore all the prompts to login to Microsoft's crappy apps service.

The whole experience really was a shining example of everything that is wrong with the direction they took with win 8.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III in May
8. Re: Galactic Civilizations III in May Apr 23, 2015, 13:12 Pigeon

I really enjoyed GlaCiv II. My biggest gripes were the non-story games tended to feel very samey. And increasing difficulty after a certain point pretty much just meant just giving the AI massive economic, research, and production bonuses, as opposed to utilizing planets better, and just an over all better strategy.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 22, 2015, 21:50 Pigeon

LittleMe wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 21:17:
Microsoft Apologizes for Confusion Over 1080p-60fps [insert game name here] Footage on Xbox Channel.

They would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids!

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 22, 2015, 14:45 Pigeon

I've got a spare computer I need to try Win 10 out on so I know what to expect when they try and force it onto my current machine.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2015, 14:43 Pigeon

I'll have to try out my TV. I've occasionally used youtube on it, but I wouldn't be heart broken if that ability disappeared. Still a great reason why an HTPC is a superior option. The idea behind the smart TV is great, but the electronics companies just can't help but screw it up. Between DRM, information gathering and each company trying to create their own little market place it's just not lived up to the potential.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2015, 13:13 Pigeon

I use k-cups at work, they're better than the alternatives, gross dispenser coffee, or over priced starbucks. I'd certainly not use them at home. Too expensive, wasteful and not that good.  

News Comments > Rockstar Social Club Accounts Stolen
3. Re: Rockstar Social Club Accounts Stolen Apr 21, 2015, 09:49 Pigeon

What is being reported sounds pretty wide spread not to be some sort of security exploit on Rockstar's side, but it's possible it could be a well designed phishing scam. Or possibly some kind of 3rd party program.  

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 17, 2015, 14:00 Pigeon

This was nothing more than a hastily put together cash grab by Apple and Pearson. Still the district deserves a lot of the blame, putting hundreds of millions into a curriculum program that hadn't been developed beyond a few demos, and then allowing them a year after deployment where they didn't have to offer the full curriculum Pearson promised.  

News Comments > 2K Australia Closing
3. Re: 2K Australia Closing Apr 16, 2015, 10:43 Pigeon

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 09:05:
I wonder if they hired Handsome Jack's VA to deliver the news.

I just wanted to thank all of you for making so many fun terrific games that have been wildly profitable... you're all fired.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
7. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 15, 2015, 21:04 Pigeon

nin wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 09:12:
Slashman wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 09:02:
I hate you Shade of Naxxramss!!!!

heh

Yeah there are a couple cards that can be a real pain if you don't immediately have a way to destroy it. I'm looking at you Grim Patron.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
22. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 13, 2015, 14:58 Pigeon

nin wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 13:50:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 13:47:
HBO To Netflix: Bring It On.

I find myself more often than not watching the shows that Netflix produces over the ones they acquire. They're that good. Next on the to-watch list: Daredevil and Bloodline.

Shows made for cable are often just annoying: it's obvious that they're made with specific commercial breakpoints, and they're often made for the lowest common denominator and lack a lot of intellectually or emotionally stimulating content. The original Netflix shows are just usually better in that regard.

I've heard Marco Polo is good as well, but I've not seen it yet.

All I know is that had to be one of the most obnoxiously pretentious introductions to an article I've read in a long time. I hope Mr. Plepler enjoyed Ms. Laporte's BJ afterwards.

I don't think HBO is in any real danger from netflix so long as they continue to offer quality shows and make changes, like they currently are, to severe complete reliance on the cable co.'s they'll be okay.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Apr 12, 2015, 16:32 Pigeon

Silicon Avatar wrote on Apr 12, 2015, 15:30:
Do people really want to wear watches again?

I find they just get scratched up over time - and since the Apple watch is also a piece of technology that runs software it has the additional downside of being obsolete in a few years.

Of course, I said the ipod wasn't a big deal either so what do I know?

Smart watches just seem like a shoehorned niche. They're an attempt to combine two products, and fall far short of providing the advantages those products offer. As a watch, it's prone to becoming obsolete from a software and hardware stand-point and the battery life is atrocious in comparison. The batteries in most wrist watches last years, and are user replaceable. Smart watch batteries last what 18 hours between recharges, and when the batteries eventually give out they're not likely to be user replaceable.

As a smart phone the screen size is a huge problem that can't be fixed. Screen size is going to limit what people will realistically use the watch for. Sure you can watch movies, look at pictures, read messages, and view websites on it, but why would when you have infinitely better suited to doing that in your pocket. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see that there are going to be many people who want to wear a 5" screen on their wrist.

So what's left? People obsessively concerned with monitoring their bodies' various functions? There are already cheaper, likely more durable and specialized devices out there for that.

Maybe I'm just not seeing where the need is, but it just seems like they're trying to make a market for something when the demand isn't there.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
6. Re: Sunday Consolidation Apr 6, 2015, 09:06 Pigeon

It's so inane I have a hard time imagining what kind of person would think this is a good idea without having a cartoon villain come to mind.

Seriously though what kind of moron would be upset that someone makes what is essentially a 40 minute commercial showing himself enjoying their game? It costs them no money to make, no money to air and it could potentially be seen by millions of people. So many companies would kill for that kind of FREE exposure.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 2, 2015, 16:32 Pigeon

Sure, the cost of entry is more than the PS4 or and Xbox One,

Fixed that for them.

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 2, 2015, 10:19 Pigeon

I'm kind of the opposite. I have a very limited mobile plan, but good home internet. If I was on the go a lot, that probably wouldn't be as feasible. Though with how many hotspots there are around the city, and the fact I know how to look up directions before I go somewhere I don't think I'd be inconvenienced that much.  

1511 Comments. 76 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo