Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1219 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced
27. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 11:11 Pigeon

InBlack wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 10:58:
Xero wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 10:29:
Blizzard's catering to a younger crowd these days. I think they let WoW go to their head and unfortunately the beloved more mature Diablo is long gone. What we have now is a WoW in a darker universe that doesn't try to be unforgiving. I agree, the cinematics are always nice and clean, but the writing and dialogue, especially the in-game cinematics are atrociously bad.

This. Blizzard seems to have forgotten that Diablo was a Horror experience first and foremost. I would have forgiven all of D3's faults had they kept the atmosphere of the original games. D3's story isnt bad per se, its just told with so much handholding and without even a hint of mystery that it loses most of its charm a few minutes into the storyline.

Dont even get me started on the skill trees and character progression. Again. Dont. Feels like a goddamn WoW expansion blurb, YEAH FOR 10 MORE LEVELS!!!!! Fuck you Blizzard.

Blizzard's solution to cookie cutter builds was to hand people a box of animal crackers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced
13. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 09:32 Pigeon

I still find their insistence they had no idea how damaging the Auction Houses would be ridiculous. The loot system was tuned to make using the AH extremely advantageous. So was the stats system as there was really only 1 primary stat you needed to worry about, with only 1-2 secondary stats like crit or regen. Oh and magic find, since without it you're chances of actually getting something you want go from crap to nil.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2013, 15:40 Pigeon

I've always thought sriracha was over-rated, something in the taste, an odd sweetness that never seemed to fit. Now Cholula and omelets = awesomeness, add a nice cup of coffee and I'm in heaven.  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 23:08 Pigeon

I test drove some CVTs a few weeks ago, the accord and the altima. I thought they were actually pretty nice. I found the Honda's a bit more responsive, but then its gas milage wasn't quite as good. If you're a manual driver and like feeling the shifting CVTs will probably drive you nuts, but if you're used to automatics there's a good chance you'll like 'em. I've heard varying and wide ranging claims about their reliability. Probably no better or worse than anything else.

Aero wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 18:40:
I finally gave up on a manual transmission a few days ago after driving them all my life. I think it's got something to do with getting older. I used to enjoy driving more. Now it's kind of just a chore. I want something comfy and easy to handle, and where I can drink my morning coffee and smoke my morning cigarette without the juggling act.

I'm interested in CVTs though. They're still a little new for me to really consider investing in one (want to see how they fair 5 and 10 years on), but they ought to give the best of both worlds.

I definitely do not like flooring the throttle, and then having the car actually decelerate for 0.5 seconds while it decides to downshift. Driving an automatic, you really do have to consider your throttle inputs a lot more carefully.

Orson Scott Card is nuts and he should shut his gob. He wrote some good books back in the day, though. A lot of good scifi writers are nuts though (Phillip Dick, for example), but usually in a more of an interesting, eccentric way. He's just run-of-the-mill far-right nuts.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 10:47 Pigeon

From back when Bush was president:
The Patriot Act was going to turn America into a fascist nation. Well, it hasn't happened -- despite the weird fantasies of the insane Left who talk as if it had.

We've had, for seven years, a President who has thought carefully and sought a balance between compelling opposites. We had to find a way to effectively find terrorists before they acted, without wrecking the Constitution. So President Bush asked for the tools he needed in the Patriot Act, and used other tools that other Presidents had used, including Democrats, and it worked. So far, anyway.

I'd say Card needs to go back and read his own rants from 6 years ago, but I seriously doubt that would produce any enlightenment. I think he is the epitome of what is wrong with politics in this country. So blinded by ideology, right and wrong is only determined by us or them.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 9, 2013, 11:09 Pigeon

So basically the police completely failed at due diligence with an existing law, and now they get to have a new law that could easily be abused to, ironically, bully people they don't agree with... Yep that sounds like government to me. Don't subject police investigations to more scrutiny, just give those same police more power to do whatever they want.

nin wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 10:26:
Nova Scotia's insane cyber bullying law.

Yep, that's nuts.

60. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 18:52 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 18:37:
And the end of the day even if there is a bit of an alarmist thing going on so we end up with a cleaner and healthier planet? Are you really arguing against that? You could swim in the lakes and rivers in this city 20 years ago, now they all have biohazard signs saying enter at own risk and people regularly get sick when they do go in. Is that part of the green agenda?

Only liberal hipster commie hippies get sick when swimming in that water. They have weak constitutions because they don't eat enough raw meat and bacon grease!

Seriously though, that's a great point, and something I've always wondered. Does anybody actually like smog, or water ways too toxic to swim or fish in? I already live in a place where they advise NOT GOING OUTSIDE on certain days because of air quality. That alone sounds like a good reason to want to clean things up.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 6, 2013, 08:42 Pigeon

Javascript the swiss cheese of programing languages. Actually I don't know if it's any less secure than other things, and/or if it's just its popularity that has people looking for holes. On a related note, 'noscript' is a great addon for firefox  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2013, 01:34 Pigeon

mag wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 23:50:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 14:57:
NewMaxx wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 14:25:

Yeah, no kidding. I can't help but be reminded of the wine tests that have been done where people have easily been fooled into preferring the far cheaper product.

Yeah, some of those people fooled are wine professionals.

I don't think this applies universally of course. Beer is a good example. I can tell a Bud from Trappiste blindfolded. And a good tequila like Patron is smooth and earthy, missing the harsh bitter bite of cheap tequila, but even that is pretty subtle. However, for things like vodka and rum, I can't tell good from bad in a blind test.

What is notable about nearly all studies of that sort, is that they are focused on tricking people, rather than actually testing if they can tell things apart with no preconceptions going in. (There are some flat-out blind taste tests including expensive and cheap wines, but I don't think that anyone should be surprised that sometimes cheap wines taste really good and expensive ones taste gross)

The only things most of them prove, in the end, are that:

1: Oftentimes people prefer specific cheaper wines to specific expensive wines

2: Your *expectations* of a taste can make you think you taste it. That is: Expecting the taste of a red can make you think you're tasting a red. Expecting it to taste more expensive will *make* it taste more expensive. Being primed to look for tastes of apricot, leather, dirt, will make you *taste* apricot, leather, dirt.

Surely there's a better place to order top-shelf liquor than TGI Fridays. This may explain why patrons were fooled so easily, they had bad taste to start with.

I tend to glaze over when people tell me about the merits of a wine, sounds like that's for the best anyways.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
11. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 3, 2013, 11:46 Pigeon

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 10:49:
How about business? What do you think they prefer?

Pads are near pure entertainment. Portable DVD players feel rejected.

If you have a job where you can get everything done on a tablet, you're not actually working

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 1, 2013, 21:39 Pigeon

Dear general internet users,

Posting comments or pictures where you make fun of others on facebook is not the same as sharing a crude little chuckle with your mate. Its more like getting a bullhorn and shouting douchy things to all your friends, family and acquaintances and their friends and acquaintances, and so on. So instead of just getting a return chuckle from your buddy, you end up looking like a massive tool to everyone.

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 1, 2013, 09:15 Pigeon

You mean an agency where many of the positions don't even require a GED has a problem with "misconduct"? Imagine that. If I remember correctly when they introduced the body scanners, they said their employees were professionals and privacy concerns weren't a problem. I don't even think it took a month for pictures to show up on the internet.  

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 30, 2013, 22:04 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 21:40:
What good is it if they throttle Youtube and Netflix?

Guess its their subtle way of telling people to torrent

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 09:17 Pigeon

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 08:49:
Skyrim is insane. Much love to the game. My Skyrim Legendary Bible Encyclopedia is within arms reach. I am afraid to open it!

There's so much to do its almost overwhelming. I feel like I can't move without tripping over a new quest. Not that, that's a bad thing, it just takes a little prioritizing.

...watch out for bears

2. Re: EQ2U Jul 26, 2013, 14:26 Pigeon

I wish the guy had stuck to his guns and kept the character up. He was reporting public information released by SOE. He didn't create the name, he has no control over the names existence on SOE, and him taking down the name certainly won't stop it from existing.

What a gross little wannabe patent troll.

News Comments > 7.7 Million WoW Subs
17. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 11:35 Pigeon

Frijoles wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 10:40:
dj LiTh wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 10:37:
Somehow i doubt rift gained 600k subs directly from wow.

599,999. I went to GW2.

I'll return to WoW with the next expansion. I really want them to announce a new Warcraft RTS though. The story has gone stale since Arthas was defeated.

They setup a lot of storylines in WC3, and played them all out by Wrath. I wonder when they'll really get around to Sargeras though, he's technically the ultimate badguy. Maybe they're saving it for when they can't think up anymore filler like pandas.

11. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 26, 2013, 08:35 Pigeon

The company mocked up a series of tweets from three genuine Twitter accounts, and used them in a promotional blog post. All without the account owners' knowledge or consent.

Is Mattrick working for twitter too? Business ethics, the tooth fairy, and Santa Claus, all of these have much more in common than previously thought.

News Comments > Torchlight II Sells 2 Million
17. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 13:19 Pigeon

I picked this up in the summer sale. I've not invested a lot of time in it (so many other games to play), but so far I'm enjoying it. It feels a lot more like diablo II than diablo 3 does; even the music is similar. I'm glad they've had a lot of success.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 25, 2013, 09:34 Pigeon

dj LiTh wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 04:37:
Necrophob wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 21:23:
Those Beats headphones are such a rip-off. Designed by Monster, the company known for selling way overpriced stereo cables. I watch people walking around with those things on, and then watch a movie like National Lampoon's Vacation and laugh. The headphones the kids wear in that movie were SMALLER than the Beats headphones. We're going forward, in reverse.

Actually their priceless, how else are you going to spot the douches with ease?

I'd be curious to see how they stack up against other similarly priced headphones. At $300 they're in the same category as a lot of the big name audio mid-lines. If they're anything like Monster cables they're no different than products 1/10th their price

News Comments > Vivendi Raiding Activision's Piggy Bank
24. Re: Vivendi Raiding Activision's Piggy Bank Jul 24, 2013, 16:30 Pigeon

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 15:56:
El Pit wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 15:14:

Yeah. Paying taxes is evil. Let the people pay taxes, not us multi-billion companies.
Nothing is stopping you from off-shoring your money either.

Because normal people and small businesses don't have a fleet of lawyers and accountants to keep the IRS from slapping them with tax dodging charges like big corporations do?

1219 Comments. 61 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo