Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1589 (Pro)
User ID 18068
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2015, 13:09 Pigeon
Cutter wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 11:30:
"Years ago, I kept mulling over what Alien 2 could be. I was fiddling around with some ideas. I was always fascinated with why this thing [the xenomorph] would be made, by whom, and for what purpose? The planet it was on – and I was looking at the dark side of the moon – would be called Paradise. Paradise is a very ominous word.

Ominous? No. The idea of paradise is, in fact, anything but ominous.

Paradise (Persian: Paradise garden) is the term for a place of timeless harmony. The Abrahamic faiths associate paradise with the Garden of Eden, that is, the perfect state of the world prior to the fall from grace, and the perfect state that will be restored in the World to Come.

How does that in anyway sound ominous? The man has lost it.

Well it's a pretty common ironic theme that things refereed to as paradise are anything but. Either through tragedy striking and/or having been corrupt in the first place. I'm assuming that's what he's talking about. Not that I can blame you for being cynical about anything he's said; he certainly hasn't delivered anything worthwhile in years.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > FINAL FANTASY V on Steam
3. Re: FINAL FANTASY V on Steam Sep 24, 2015, 22:12 Pigeon
Task wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 20:40:
A mobile port, Again? Guess I'm not buying it then unless they patch it up. I have FFV, from the FF-Anthology PSOne case-set - I'll just stick with that. I don't understand how they keep messing these up - just start with the PSOne releases and update them for PC from there.

But it's Final Fantasy, RETRO Final Fantasy, don't you want to give them money because FF? Seriously though, I don't understand it either. It's almost like they think it's a better version than the PS1 or SNES versions because it's newer. I've not played any of the mobile ports, but from what I've seen and heard this is not the case.
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: The Apple bias is real Sep 24, 2015, 21:13 Pigeon
Red wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 18:52:
Pigeon wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 18:23:
it is a mass delusion.
Why can't it just be good marketing combined with contentment? Apple had the first actually awesome smartphone. That got early adopters and word-of-mouth advocates. Since then, it has done really well at marketing plus mostly not pissing off anyone who bought into it.

It doesn't matter now who makes the better product. Because no non-iPhone smart phone is better enough to bother going through the effort of switching. Not for an average person. Nor for an enthusiast who happens to have invested a lot into the Apple ecosystem.

Apple has a momentum that will last until they seriously fuck something up.

I have an iPhone. I make no claim that they're superior to Android phones. There's a lot of shit wrong with them, in fact. Or at least sub-par. But I am also a tech enthusiast/developer and like trying everything, including Android devices. I have nothing bad to say about the newer iterations, but there is also nothing compelling about them to make me switch from a product I'm content with. My next phone will be another iPhone because there is just no reason for it not to be.

My comment was about the article which basically says reviewers are right to lavish apple with undo praise and attention because it is Apple. Another quote for my point (emphasis mine):
The iPhone is reviewed like a transcendental entity that's more than just the sum of its metal, plastic, and silicon parts, because that's what it is.

Liking the iPhone because it's a good product, has a good eco-system, and the competitors don't offer you a compelling reason to switch is not delusional. Turning it into an object of idolatry and reverence is. What's funny is the author mentions a few things that are problematic with Apple but quickly says they're not actually problems by virtue of being Apple. If you want a company to improve something you don't like, that's a horrible way of going about it.
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: The Apple bias is real Sep 24, 2015, 18:23 Pigeon
MajorD wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 12:22:
Yup, keep on drinking that 'apple' juice. Puke

Yeah that article was pretty puke worthy.

The only explanation for this pattern, short of a mass delusion on a religion-like global scale, is that Apple provides substantial value to its hundreds of millions of satisfied iPhone buyers.

Convincing consumers your product is significantly better than the competitors without actually providing a better product is called branding/marketing; it is a mass delusion.
News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 22, 2015, 13:26 Pigeon
I'll be very surprised if they get hit by the full $18 Billion. GM paid $900 million for covering up a defect that was responsible for 120+ deaths, no criminal charges. Not saying VW won't get hit with higher fines, but that $18 Billion isn't going to happen.  
5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2015, 11:48 Pigeon
I knew it was gonna happen, but the reality is here now; it's going to be a rough season for the Texans. Maybe Mallet will get better with time, but he looked horrible for the most part. There are incomplete passes and then there's wtf are you throwing at. If Carolina hadn't gotten so many unnecessary and poorly timed penalties the game would not have been nearly as close.  
6. Re: Sweden tests the six hour work day Sep 20, 2015, 13:04 Pigeon
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 20, 2015, 12:25:
Hmm, I'll have to do the math and see how that compares to the previous best work setup I know of. A buddy of mine in the early 1990s worked for MCI on a 2pm to midnight shift -- 4 days on, 4 days off.

Well it would at least reduce the amount of time spent preparing for and going to/from work. Still 10 hour work days are rough, specially if you have to pull several in a row.
19. Re: Heroes Sep 19, 2015, 23:01 Pigeon
jdreyer wrote on Sep 19, 2015, 22:15:
Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2015, 20:48:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 19, 2015, 19:19:
Random question.

In preparation for "Heroes Reborn", I've been re-watching "Heroes" -- in episode 6 of season 3, Arthur Petrelli absorbs/consumes Adam Monroe. It's not clear but it looks like he "absorbs" his life energy, which in turn regenerates him allowing him to get off the respirator he is on. Please excuse my use of logic, but is there a known reason why...

1) Why not just get some of Adam's blood for an IV and keep him around for future use?

2) Why not absorb someone prior to then and use their energy to regenerate?

3) Why since he can take others' powers, as he does later to Peter, just take Adam's power -- and if he wants, then kill him?

Trying to find any kind of logic in the latter seasons of Heroes is completely, utterly pointless, as there isn't any.

I don't think any show ever went from "Holy Fuck This Is Amazing" to "??????????" in the space of a few episodes the way that show did.

Season 1 is so good. A fantastic arc.
Season 2, I just had to quit half way through.

I quit somewhere in season 2 as well. It's been a long time so I don't remember the details, but I'm pretty sure it was a bunch of lazily executed plot twists. That tends to kill shows for me pretty quickly.
7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2015, 14:12 Pigeon
Yarr, even Blue Beard an' his crew of scurvy dogs be knowin liquid nitrogen is a fools choice for a drink.  
News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
9. Re: AVG Sep 18, 2015, 19:29 Pigeon
nin wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 16:58:
Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 16:55:
panbient wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 15:45:
Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 12:34:
If anyone is still using AVG (and I can't fathom why, as it's terrible bloatware), get rid of it QUICK.

What do you recommend as an alternative?

Bitdefender is really good right now. Definitely my #1 pick.

Huh, I'll try that tonight - Thanks!

I'm going to slap that on my old laptop. Using Avira on it right now and it nearly locks the thing up if I've not turned it on for awhile. And if I like the way it works I'll put it on my desktop too. I really don't need much; noscript and ad-block have proven a pretty formidable duo for keeping crap off my computer.
News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 13, 2015, 14:19 Pigeon
Never is a strong word. It's already to the point where SSDs are cheap enough that even budget builds should have one. The only reason to have a HDD anymore is secondary storage/backup; something you can usually re-purpose an old drive for. Not saying HDDs are going away anytime soon, but their usefulness is rapidly shrinking.  
News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend
16. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend Sep 11, 2015, 13:22 Pigeon
PHJF wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 10:51:
The human enemies in XCOM are poorly integrated and have almost no scaling. It isn't long before they post no threat whatsoever but nevertheless continually harass XCOM, because pinpointing their base takes an unreasonable amount of time and/or trial and error. It could have been a lot more interesting if the enemy human forces more closely paralleled XCOM in equipment/abilities/tactics.

I agree, once my game gets rolling the EXALT missions pose little problem. By the time they get laser weapons and gene-mods my guys are well armed and leveled and once I get control of the map EXALT's reinforcements never get a turn because they get wiped out by overwatch. Really the biggest nuisance with EXALT is they can cause more panic, which can be difficult to control in classic or higher difficulty.
News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend
5. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend Sep 11, 2015, 10:30 Pigeon
Wallshadows wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 09:59:
I've been meaning to get Enemy Within...

It's adds some nice variety that's not present in Unknown. I got both in a bundle and played Unknown first thinking Within was a more traditional expansion with separate story. It is not; it adds couple of events, scenarios and new classes/powers (mec's and gene mods.) It's worth it at $7.50, I think it adds more game-play depth; there's just no reason to play Enemy Unknown first.
News Comments > Hearthstone Power Inflation Addressed
8. Re: Hearthstone Power Inflation Addressed Sep 10, 2015, 10:57 Pigeon
I remember when grim patron came out, that was like a big middle finger to newish free to play people. Took me awhile to get cards to semi-effectively deal with it. Luckily it fell out of favor, but that was one that could get out of hand fast if you didn't deal with it immediately.

I stopped playing months ago, got tired of the grind, disparity between pay decks and free, and griefers. I do kinda miss my priest deck, I could do some fun things with it.
News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 9, 2015, 09:14 Pigeon
Isn't this how GLaDOS got started?  
News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 4, 2015, 02:21 Pigeon
jdreyer wrote on Sep 3, 2015, 23:35:
Samsung unveils world’s first 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc player.

Aren't disks supposed to be dead?

I think a 4K movies are something like 100GBs plus, so it might be faster to drive to the store and buy a disc than wait for it to download. That and it's a significant chunk of real-estate on your hard-drive.
News Comments > WildStar F2P This Month
10. Re: WildStar F2P This Month Sep 3, 2015, 15:15 Pigeon
I've been playing the F2P beta for the last 2 weeks. As a F2P it's probably better than some of the others I've tried. There's enough variation while leveling that it's not the mind numbing experience I've had in other F2P MMOs. I've had some issues that concern me though; and while I understand it's a beta, it's also a beta of a game that's been out for awhile. The UI has been having issues with the quest tracker, which makes questing difficult, and I can't run it in DX11. DX11 runs very smoothly until it doesn't, apparently it's an issue they've had for quiet awhile.

Overall I'd say worth checking out. It's got a cartoony style that I realize isn't for everyone, but I like it.
News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 2, 2015, 10:15 Pigeon
I manged to fill up my 1GB with mostly automated saved game backups, and I don't play my PS4 that often. 10GB is still pretty pathetic considering they want people to create and share game-play videos on their network, but it's 10x better than what it was I guess. I think the xbone gives a free 15GB, no service subscription. Of course you have to use OneDrive... TO RULE THEM ALL!  
News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: If you're about to buy a new 1TB PlayStation 4, don't. Here's why. Aug 31, 2015, 08:50 Pigeon
Frags4Fun wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 08:33:
I wonder if there are any performance differences with this newer model. I guess it could go either way or stay the same. I wish someone could/would benchmark them.

I would imagine there's little difference; people who already own one would be upset if a better (more fps) console were released. I do wonder when/if they'll release a SSD version. If they're looking to make a quieter and less power hungry hungry console that's one way to do it, plus better load times.
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 27, 2015, 13:28 Pigeon
A sex site on the internet-webs scamming people out of money? MY GOD!! If nothing else this just proves how stupid/gullible guys are when it comes to sex. As I understand it most dating sites have the same issue, lots of active male users with only a handful of female users. I've known both guys and girls who've used dating sites and it's pretty much the same story, the guys almost never get requests or replies , whereas the women get a relatively numerous number of requests. I don't know if most dating sites have a tiered pay service like AM though. Not that I'm trying to put dating sites in the same category as AM, but they do have some similar dynamics.  
1589 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo