Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1219 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2014, 09:30 Pigeon

If only we could charge them fees when they make a mistake.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 18, 2014, 11:40 Pigeon

Desalus wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 09:59:
Console peasants? What's that even supposed to mean? There are so many ways one could interpret that.

Designed for console peasants but with the sophistication even the PC bourgeoisie can appreciate.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
6. Re: Saturday Interviews Aug 16, 2014, 14:26 Pigeon

Oooo please say it's a 3rd person cover based squad tactics shooter!!! Or maybe an FPS where you mash the E key to solve puzzles./sarcasm  

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Beta Underway
23. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Beta Underway Aug 14, 2014, 15:22 Pigeon

I hope to see smarter AI. In the GCivII increasing difficulty just gave the AI huge Economic and Production bonuses. Also when they start building stations in my territory I'd like a way to tell the AI to fuck off or learn to exist as a cloud of ionized gas.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 14, 2014, 08:39 Pigeon

"PLEASE NOTE WE ARE NOT A SCAM,"

Oh well, not sure what everyone is upset about then.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 13, 2014, 22:21 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 20:32:
Anyone who gave Robin Williams' daughter abuse will hopefully die of agonizingly painful ass-cancer in the next two weeks.

And as for Comcast, shit, they're just doing what SCOTUS told them to do. Why the fuck do FCC commissioners show up to shit like that? Oh wait, I forgot, they work for the cable industry.

And finally, OMG, Y512K!!!!

Maybe they'll be so busy sending hateful messages on their phones they'll accidentally step out in front of a moving bus.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2014, 14:27 Pigeon

nin wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 14:00:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 13:59:
I can't recall the last time the nation mourned the loss of someone like this.

It shows what a great guy he was, and how much he was loved. I hope he knew that.

He's made so many people laugh for so long it seems wrong that he won't be around anymore. The world seems palpably worse with him gone. There aren't too many people that have that effect, maybe the last one I can think of is Mr. Rogers.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 13, 2014, 09:18 Pigeon

Amazingly enough, it only takes a USB flash drive with malicious software and some 15 seconds of physical access to the device to compromise it.

Nest has done a good job securing the device's wireless communications, but its USB port is a definite way in: the researchers demonstrated that by holding down the device's power button, which allowed them to override the security checks (firmware signing) and upload custom malicious firmware on the thermostat.

If someone has physically access to your Nest, you've got a lot more to worry about than malware.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 13, 2014, 08:32 Pigeon

This discretionary method of paying some employees wages, but not others, is in violation of the FLSA.

I wasn't aware you had to fill-out employment applications to post on the site. The US needs to employee caning for frivolous lawsuits like this; then the plaintiffs can be both literally and figuratively butt hurt.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 11, 2014, 16:28 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 15:12:
Comcast: Sneaky 'Broadcast TV Fee' Is Just Us Being Transparent.

Man, those guys need to be broken apart. Or nationalized. Having multiple cable companies is like having multiple parallel road systems that you have to pay monthly for.

Pretty soon Comcast will advertise "300 cable channels, $10 / month!" Then when you get your bill, it will have $90 in "fees" on it.

It should be false advertising. They say to get those channels for $39.99 a month, but then charge an additional fee for getting those channels. The funny/sad part is Comcast is doing this because they're mad their retransmission fees have been arbitrarily increased, so they decide to arbitrarily increase rates of customers for something they're supposedly under a set price for.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 11, 2014, 13:43 Pigeon

It's 2014, not 2004 so yeah 4 Mbps isn't broadband anymore. Maybe if they can't call 6 Mbps Broadband they won't feel they can get away with charging $50 for it (Looking at you Comcast).  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2014, 22:53 Pigeon

NKD wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 12:46:
nin wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 12:42:
Was reading about that Tony Stewart deal last night - crazy!

Yeah, I sure hope that wasn't on purpose. A lot of people seem to be saying it was, but people more familiar with sprint cars don't seem to be so sure.

We'll see how it pans out, but either way, walking out into high speed traffic on a dirt track is basically committing suicide.

I think Tony's reputation as a hot head, he has actually done almost the very same thing, has a lot of people speculating that he was trying to intimidate the kid by gassing the car. You really can't tell one way or the other from the video. What you do see very clearly is the kid getting out and approaching the cars stupidly close to yell at Stewart. I'll be surprised if this is the only video of the event, with a wreck having happened I'd think everyone with a camera would have their lenses focused on it.

8. Re: fingernails are pretty fingernails are good Aug 10, 2014, 10:07 Pigeon

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 9, 2014, 17:56:
Cutter wrote on Aug 9, 2014, 16:44:
So my fingernail finally fell off from my accident a month ago and if you've ever wondered what a finger looks like without one it's pretty damn weird. Alien, is the word that comes to mind. It's strange we have them to begin with. I understand the practicality of claws or talons, but fingernails are all but useless to those outside the mani/pedi business.

I once thought about having all of mine removed - I figured the time and energy saved from clipping, etc was worth it. Then Someone told me they would grow back anyway.

Pretty sure there's a way to kill the nail permanently, they do it for people with chronically bad ingrown toenails; so there's hope yet.

Frankly I find them fairly useful, specially when you have an itch

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 7, 2014, 17:03 Pigeon

The students in Harmsen’s class had been on Hillsborough’s iPad pilot team, and Harmstead admits she was a little disappointed when the district chose to go with Chromebooks. She said being on the pilot iPad team transformed her classroom approach after 24 years of teaching and made her a digital-education advocate. But now that she’s spent a full year using the new device—a pared-down laptop that stores files on the Internet—she agrees with the decision.

Apple is the best... till you actually try something else

News Comments > July Steam Hardware & Software Survey
10. Re: July Steam Hardware & Software Survey Aug 6, 2014, 13:21 Pigeon

My biggest worry with win 8 is vendors will stop supporting it should windows 9 become popular like windows 7 has. This has happened with AMD and Vista. Despite minimal differences between the two OS's they have seemingly stopped releasing Vista drivers. Even their XP drivers are more up to date.  

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Aug 4, 2014, 23:26 Pigeon

NKD wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 23:06:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 22:27:
My take:

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 21:13:
Also, RIP James Brady, must have been furiously difficult to be partially paralyzed because some nut shot you by accident spend the past 30 years trying to affect gun control only to see nothing change at all.

Yeah, no kidding.

Failure to get universal background checks is one of those shining examples of where our system fails. According to numbers I read today 90% of Americans support it, 84% of gun owners support it, 74% of NRA members support it. But we still can't get it done.

It's just too easy for a felon or other banned individual to get their hands on a gun through a private seller. It's not a magic solution to fix all problems of gun violence, it's a band-aid that would be relatively easy to implement, yet it still doesn't happen.

The real problem with the gun control debate today is all this focus on what I call "crazy white person" shootings. Mass shootings (a shooting that injures or kills at least 4 people) make up an incredibly small portion of gun violence. Shootings involving middle class white people also make up a relatively small portion of gun violence. It's also the trickiest kind of gun violence to prevent.

Why are we focusing the debate on the forms of gun violence that are hardest to prevent? Shouldn't we first be going after the low hanging fruit? It wouldn't seem like such an impossible subject if we would frame the debate in a way that made sense.

Most gun violence happens to low income, poorly educated minorities at the hands of others in their same socioeconomic class. So that's where we need to focus our efforts. The fact that we only seem to care when middle class white people are shooting other middle class white people is a massive joke.

No, there is no realistic solution to keeping a crazy person from going nuts and shooting a bunch of people. But that doesn't mean we can't make a real dent in gun violence numbers by looking elsewhere.

But what if its 4am and you just have to have a gun right then and there cause you know AMERICA, but you won't be able to get one right at that moment because you'll have to wait for background checking.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: Into the Black Aug 3, 2014, 17:00 Pigeon

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 16:51:
nin wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 12:55:
I get those too, and hate them. Generally a sign I have to put that title aside for a few days.

Not frequent, but it sucks when they happen...like my brain can't shut off.

Man I thought I was the only one who had those. I have to make sure I give my brain some buffer time before bed to stop it from happening. When it happens it's like I know how the game is supposed to play but in the dream everything doesn't work properly so I get frustrated. Usually have to get up and read a book or work out a bit to get it out of my head.

Yeah I use a buffer time to, usually watching TV or reading or some other activity helps clear the video-game brain. Usually the dreams are terrible and frustrating, but occasionally they are epically awesome. One I had I was a Marine from StarCraft and I was mowing down hordes of zerglings as I helped some people escape an overrun complex; terrifying yet exhilarating. Another was pretty much like Quake 3, with bounce pads, railguns and the whole longest 9 yards.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 1, 2014, 22:49 Pigeon

PropheT wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 22:20:
Julio wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 20:20:
No thanks, I'm not giving Gamestop my fingerprints. What's next, giving them your DNA?

It's more of a problem with pawn laws and legal requirements for second-hand stores and the requirements of anyone selling something to the store there than it is with Gamestop. In the effort to stop criminals, you're legally required to assume everyone is a criminal.

jdreyer wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 21:08:
They're also being REALLY generous to XBox.

That's kind of an understatement. When the article sports statements like this:

Sure, we've gotten some good games like Forza Motorsport 5 and Ryse: Son of Rome, but more effort to keep consistent releases coming would've been nice.

When Ryse is sporting a whopping Metacritic score of 60 and Forza's been lambasted for its nickel and diming, those being the prime examples of "good" games on the system are a big part of why I haven't seriously considered buying it. It's also a little iffy when one of the biggest positives about the system is that you can now buy it without a part that they said was integral for the first 6 months of it being out because there's no real reason to have it.

Both of them need really good reason to buy them at this point, but when the cross-platform games are better on the PS4 in virtually every case I just don't see any reason to buy an XB1 right now. I have a PS4 but barely use it as is, and any of the big Xbox exclusives I can get arguably better versions of on my PC.

PS4's big problem is there isn't currently that killer game everyone has to play. Maybe Destiny will do it when it comes out. PS+ is a great deal, which is why its so disappointing PSN's pricing is retarded. If they cut all the rental prices in half they'd be on the right track.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2014, 13:04 Pigeon

I think some of the fear of GMO's is that they've inadvertently changed a gene that will make the product harmful to people or something gets 'left over' from the genetic manipulation process that could increase mutations or cancer in people.

I agree a lot of it is just plain opposition to something that's different than what people are used to, but a good part of it is also ignorance about the processes, often times willful.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Aug 1, 2014, 09:19 Pigeon

A good idea they're going to kill with terrible pricing.  

1219 Comments. 61 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo