Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Tampa, FL 10/09
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1542 (Pro)
User ID 18068
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > KOTOR 2 Patched; OS X & Linux Support Added
8. Re: KOTOR 2 Patched; OS X & Linux Support Added Jul 21, 2015, 19:51 Pigeon
Actually just finished playing this a few weeks ago. The restored content is kind of a most, and I believe also fixes a number of bugs. It's kind of amazing how much they cut, and even with the restored content there are some storylines that don't really go anywhere. Still a fun game nonetheless.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2015, 16:35 Pigeon
bhcompy wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 13:11:
Axis wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 10:35:
I've not found any reason to choose anything other than Firefox with noscript for the last 10 years or so.

And speed? That's pretty funny... apparently Microsoft is still developing for 1990s.

I use Firefox because it has the best noscript implementation, but let's not pretend they ever fixed their memory leak issues or that its rendering engine could be significantly improve. Speed matters. My corporate laptop is encrypted and 5 years old, loaded to the brim with corporate bullshiat. An efficient browser is a good thing to have, unfortunately with no extensions it's useless.

Noscript is very nice. I've noticed over the last several years more and more sites tie the content to the scripts, so unless you allow everything the content doesn't show up or isn't displayed properly. Usually I don't bother with sites when that's the case.
News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2015, 11:47 Pigeon
I bought a stand alone mp3 player (not an ipod) for jogging/exercise. It's much smaller and lighter than my phone so it's not slapping around in my pocket when running, plus the controls make it easier to operate with out looking at it.  
News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2015, 13:30 Pigeon
I use whatever gets the job done. With the microwave I'll often put a damp paper towel over or around what I'm reheating to help speed up and even out the process. Microwaves work by exciting water molecules, so it can be easy to lose a lot of water in the form of steam when cooking, which might leave the item tough and rubbery. Iíll often use the microwave to mostly reheat something then finish it in the toaster oven. Works well for things where you want a crispy, not burnt, outside with moist inside.  
News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Jul 15, 2015, 23:01 Pigeon
It's amazing how people can support using hundreds of millions in public money to help billionaires pay for a stadium, in which they'll have the privilege to pay more money so they can watch millionaires will play a game. But someone on food stamps buys a steak and they want to drag that person through the streets while beating them with rolled up yoga mats. Priorities, we got 'em!  
News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 15, 2015, 20:49 Pigeon
Just wait till it hits the casual gaming scene; Clash of Vaginas coming soon all over iOS and android.  
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2015, 11:29 Pigeon
Frags4Fun wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 10:39:
Wallshadows wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 09:49:
New Horizon travelled 10 years and 3 billion miles to get as close as it did to Pluto and I slept over the press conference. There should be another one to showcase the images it took since there is a 12 hour lag between the probe and Earth.

Are you referring to one of the links? I'm so confused. I'm also interested to know more about New Horizon so off to Google I go.

Unfortunately as I understand it we'll have to wait till late 2016 for all the data to get back. Apparently the download rate is something like 2kbps. I imagine some pictures will take priority, but it's going to take some time before we get the full breadth of data the probe has collected.
News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Map Pack DLC & Mod Support
4. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Map Pack DLC & Mod Support Jul 10, 2015, 08:43 Pigeon
jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 00:00:
Map packs for Gal Civ? Aren't all the maps procedural? Or are these hand-crafted scenarios?

The procedurally designed maps have a level of randomness to them, so if your starting planet happens to be closer to more/better planets than the other races you have a pretty big advantage. I assume the set maps are balanced.
News Comments > New AMD Catalyst Drivers
12. Re: New AMD Catalyst Drivers Jul 9, 2015, 08:49 Pigeon
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 05:21:
Well for anyone looking performance wise on this, the drivers are excellent, solid, and stable on my 7950 on Win10. It also seems to have fixed the annoying screenflicker/refresh problem that's been in the last couple of win10 builds.

Temperature management seems to be a hell of a lot better compared to the previous WHQL and beta drivers as well, only playing metro:LL but seemed to have picked up 3-5fps in that over the previous beta drivers.

Good to hear. Have you noticed if the aspect ratio controls work for games? It's really convenient for playing older games, but it seems to break every time I install new drivers. I end up having to boot into safe mode and use a driver uninstaller to strip every last remnant of the old drivers before the new ones will install properly.
News Comments > AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations
22. Re: AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations Jul 6, 2015, 23:12 Pigeon
Well that explains why Mantle never seemed to do much for my card. Pretty shit move considering they boast about Mantle support, but can't be bothered to make it so the cards don't run worse on Mantle.  
News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 6, 2015, 12:24 Pigeon
Now you can record police brutality in stunning Ultra HD! Maybe security cameras can finally get 480p; 'is that a person or an upright elk?'  
4. Re: Antidepressants Affect Morality Jul 4, 2015, 20:58 Pigeon
Pharmaceuticals that alter mood also change behavior, who'd a thunk it. I mock, but it is interesting and important research. Psychopharmaceuticals seem like they have the most guess work of any class of medications.  
News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Patched; Progress Report
7. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Patched; Progress Report Jun 28, 2015, 12:35 Pigeon
Rigs wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 11:43:
I swear when I see some of these changelogs, it's like they've never developed a PC game before. If the previous games had a detailed graphics options menu, why have a simplistic menu in this one?! As Mr. Biscuit (heh) said, the Far Cry series from 2 on has always had the same graphics options and others added as technology progressed, so why fix what's not broken? And I am talking about Iron Sky, the PC dev of this port, not Rocksteady, as they were also the ones to develop and build the last Arkham game (for PC)...

In this case it sounds like an attempt to cover up for how poorly the game ran. Lock FPS to a lowly 30, eliminate the ability to increase/change some graphics options, and then claim the game is working as designed. Fortunately they did such a horrible job, the intentional gimping of graphics options wasn't enough to cover it up.
News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jun 26, 2015, 22:19 Pigeon
jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 21:57:
Surprised at all the "tech" sites that carried stories on the marriage equality ruling. The Verge, Wired, and IO9 all had stories up.

It's 'kind of a big deal', so I guess everyone in media is feeling the need to put their spin on it.
News Comments > Arkham Knight PC Fixes Prioritized
6. Re: Arkham Knight PC Fixed Prioritized Jun 26, 2015, 09:47 Pigeon
Verno wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 09:35:
As much as I dislike DRM, Denuvo has never been really linked to any performance problems in games, its just randomized executable encryption. The performance issues are just shoddy porting and a lack of optimization. This one is totally on them and WBIE.

I do think they took the right approach here after their screw up and its good that they are prioritizing fixes now.

Yeah it is at least some action on their part in acknowledging how broken the game is. It gives me some measure of hope they'll do a proper job of fixing the PC version rather than slapping a band-aid on it and calling it fixed.
News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended
6. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended Jun 25, 2015, 09:54 Pigeon
Hopefully this gets resolved, I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum and City I'd hate to see a good series turned into shit. Though it's sounding like they've taken a step back in game play too. Can anyone that can get it working (more or less as it should) confirm the game-play isn't as good?  
News Comments > Hardware Reviews
6. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 24, 2015, 11:37 Pigeon
Qbex . wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 10:40:
Fury X after all that hype it's like a wet fart. Disappointment for all concerned bar Nvidia who can safely stays priced as it is with no real competition

Unfortunately that's what AMD does any more. They make bold claims of ushering in the next renaissance of whatever product, and then end up choking on the dust of their competitors. They can't even touch Intel's top end, and the water cooled Fury X can't keep up with a product released almost a month prior. Even Mantle seems to be sputtering along after roaring out of the hype gate. I understand marketing has to be positive, nobody is going to buy a video card when the marketing campaign announces the card as adequate, but there is such as thing as remaining in the realm of reality. You don't want to be the weird smelling kid who claims he's a 9th degree black belt ninja, but seems to have coordination and physical activity issues.
News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Jun 23, 2015, 22:06 Pigeon
I gotta admit my inner child squeed when seeing that pip-boy edition. Fortunately or unfortunately my outer adult saw that price tag and sent the child to bed without dinner.  
News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 21, 2015, 19:16 Pigeon
Saboth wrote on Jun 21, 2015, 17:46:
Do these survival games ever come out of Early Access? Seems like there are umpteen number of them popping up every month, and they remain EA indefinitely. Yet people seem to flock to them.

Hopefully nobody ever makes an early access survival game, survival game and then puts it in early access; gamers' heads might implode.
News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jun 21, 2015, 18:03 Pigeon
Saboth wrote on Jun 21, 2015, 17:33:
I think I spent about $35 total, and about $10 of that was on GoG or Bundlestars, and $5 was on collectables and trading cards. I usually blow about $60-$80 on a good Steam Sale. It's a combination of owning a lot of games already, and many of the sales were merely 40-50% off. I also passed on a few deals because I figured if nothing better came along, I'd pick them up at the end of the sale, but during the "Finale", they didn't go back down to their daily or flash price.

I picked up 3 games and ended up spending ~$20. Like you I have a lot of backlog, so it was pretty easy to ignore items in my wishlist going on sale. There were a few games that were tempting, but I'd rather wait for a GOTY editions to come out.
1542 Comments. 78 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo