Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 965 (Graduate)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard "Looking At" F2P StarCraft II Multiplayer
12. Re: Blizzard Sep 21, 2012, 22:26 Pigeon

"We donít know how we would monetize it,"
Hats for your zerglings. Or if you don't want to be accused of ripping TF2's money making scheme off completely, then shoes. Think how cool your zergling rush will look when they're all wearing Jordans. You could probably even get some advertising money from NIKE, and slap in a BUY THE REAL ONES button right there in the commands box.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Drivers
7. Re: New AMD/ATI Drivers Aug 16, 2012, 00:05 Pigeon

Must be time to upgrade my card, the new drivers don't even support mine :/  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
22. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 00:11 Pigeon

Kitkoan wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 23:44:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 21:33:
Kitkoan wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 21:13:
[Thats one of the reasons I did research to see who builds the best quality laptops in hopes that its going to take some time until that happens. (its an Asus)

My son has an asus, the stealth fighter looking one. VC runs very hot, need to blow it out with air and keep it off a flat service. You can tell the tolerances are very close. The first time caught us a little, OS wouldn't boot, thought it was ram, then an internal fan then vc. Luckily blowing air works for most. Other then that it's been golden.

Sounds like what I have, just the Oct 2010 model. It has the little shield saying Republic of Gamers on it?

Never had issues with mine. Luck of the draw and all that huh?

I've got a gamerish Asus. Basically I got something that had some power, but not enough that heat would be a constant issue. Its been pretty reliable, though I had the headphone jack go out and had to send it in for repair. But now the screen is going all funky and flickering intermitently. I suspect its a loose wire, but since the warranty has run out I'll either have to pry it open myself or take it somewhere to be repaired *shudder*.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 29, 2012, 18:17 Pigeon

Number one reason to buy a desktop, less hardware problems and when they do have issues they're much easier to fix. I suppose if you're the sort of person who doesn't mind replacing their laptop/tablet/whatever every 2 years. Speaking of which his example of an awesome cheap laptop doesn't really do it for me. A refurb HP? Uhh, no thanks. The last HP I had was great when it worked, but I was lucky if I could go 4 months with out having to send it in for warranty work due to catastrophic hardware failure.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III Multiplayer Details & Boston Trailer
5. Re: Assassin's Creed III Multiplayer Details & Boston Trailer Jul 13, 2012, 19:48 Pigeon

grudgebearer wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 16:42:
You'd have to be retarded to not be able to notice him in any crowd.

That would explain why when he attacks a large group all the other enemies just kind of stand around and watch him hack the crap out of their friend.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jul 8, 2012, 16:36 Pigeon

I loved Police Quest from back in the day. I think it was my introduction to adventure games, and sierra games in particular. Well technically Leisure Suit Larry was, but I wasn't supposed to be playing that >_>  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 7, 2012, 11:53 Pigeon

wtf_man wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 09:49:
Tons of electronics stores have bit the dust... Circuit City, Good Guys, Federated (West Coast stuff if you are not familiar with some of those)... and pretty much for the same reasons...

Overpriced Electronics
Unknowledgable Staff
Staff trying to strong arm you into extended warranties
Repairs that take forever when you bring the product in to be fixxed

Add Worst Buy's BS:
Bait and Switch Prices online vs. a store
Rebates that they almost never pay on
Warranties almost never honored
Extreme hurdles to return items

I'm kind of surprised they lasted longer than Circuit City (which wasn't quite as bad... but still pretty bad)

Don't forget the 200x mark up on their premium argon injected, platinum tipped, carbon fiber weave, unbotanium coated, gamma shielded connector cables.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 10:55 Pigeon

InBlack wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 10:35:
What happens to the chickens once they remove their wings? Im serious, here in Europe we dont really have a culture of eating chicken wings by themselves. Although you might find them in certain shops and markets, but basically when you buy chicken you buy the whole bird or you dont buy anything at all

Parts are just packaged and sold separately. You can still buy a whole chicken, but you can also buy breasts, thighs, legs and wing separately.

News Comments > id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE
3. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 5, 2012, 19:28 Pigeon

So they wait 10 months after their mediocre game launched to say,'maybe we might possibly say something soon about doing something perhaps.'

It would seem the time to release something to make the game more attractive has long since passed. Maybe if it coincided with a massive sale they might rekindle some interest, but I still think its too little way too late.

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes
40. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 4, 2012, 21:39 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 21:29:
Jivaro wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 20:07:
Lack of randomized maps doesn't help.

Wait, what? The maps aren't randomized?

Some are some aren't, but event he ones that are, aren't like D2s maps.

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes
24. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 4, 2012, 14:32 Pigeon

Philosophically we don't have a problem with the practice. While players getting more Magic Find for their kills isn't a game breaker for us, many players have said they don't enjoy doing it but feel the benefit is too large to ignore.

Except that all of their options seem to suggest that philosophically they do have a problem with it.

Option 1 is bad for people who like to roll in all MF to the detriment of their ability to kill stuff. Basically its limiting on Gameplay style.

Option 4 is pretty dumb. Its the opposite of what you'd want to do in a game where you're supposed to have continuous action. Make a gear change, sit around for x amount of till effects occur.

Option 5 is the worst, seeing how integral NV stacks are to the end game content it seems trite to punish people for changing gear that severely. I still don't understand why they punish people for switching skills by removing all stacks. I thought the whole point of their skill system was to be more flexible than D2s for the purposes of fun and strategy.

Option 2&3 aren't awful, but they run into the same issue as option 4, they slow down the game play.

The real problem is end-game is so dependent on gear taking a hit to survivability or DPS to add some magic-find isn't viable for most acts, or even dependent on the mob. Yet because gear is the only part of end-game magicfind is desirable. The problem is bad game-design, that's why people are trying to 'cheat' around it.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Plans
14. Re: FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Plans Jul 4, 2012, 12:52 Pigeon

Bradley wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 12:33:
Final Fantasy 6 (or 3 in the US) was always my favorite. It was the last one made before they started going 3d and all "super artsy" with everything. Best Story and best battle mechanics IMHO.

IV and VI are by far my favorites of the series, I've been hoping for a remake of VI like they did with IV on the DS. Clean up some of the bugs, refine/balance things a bit more add a few special items and dungeons and we're good to go

I liked VII at the time, but it was the start of a change that ended up making the characters and environments more modern and 'hip' that I didn't care for. I tried IX on an emulator, but I never finished it.

As others have said this is basically a re-release. It just uses modern graphics processors to smooth out the jaggies, and they've slapped in some higher rez cut-scenes. Its seems new features include Saving to THE CLOUD (always on DRM?), achievements and easy-cheat mode.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
17. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 3, 2012, 09:44 Pigeon

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 22:25:
wtf_man wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 20:58:
DangerDog wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 20:55:
$39.99 is a decent price but I still don't feel the need to upgrade from win7.

I wouldn't install Windows 8 even if they paid me $399.99.

Fuck Metro.

On another note...
Best Buy mulls streaming online prices directly to stores.

Heh, looks like Worst Buy is going to try a new Bait and Switch scheme.

I love how that article says Best Buy is only beat out by Amazon because Amazon doesn't have to charge sales tax. Bullshit. Look up any TV Best Buy carries. I would put down money that Amazon has the same model with free shipping for at least $200 less. I've used Best Buy to look at my last three TVs and then purchased them for hundreds less on Amazon. Games are less, movies are less, computers are less. I can't think of one thing that Best Buy charges less for.

Plus you don't have any brain dead sales kids doggedly trying up-sell you crappy store extended warranties or ridiculously over priced cables.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Jul 2, 2012, 12:44 Pigeon

RailWizard wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 12:18:
Pigeon wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 11:56:
RailWizard wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 11:20:
Once again torn. Who do I hate more? Blizzard or China....tough one.

Of course, there is the fact that no Asian country could make a decent game to save their lives(which i dont understand since they supposed to be all Mr. computer)....so there is that. Then again BLizz is in empire strikes back mode lately...hmmm.

Japan has consumed all of Asia's game making talent.

Reading the article it doesn't seem like 'China' is promoting it, but that one of the possible distributors is. The reason the game hasn't released in China yet is because of China's over the top censorship among other things. So I highly doubt they'd promote a 'crack' that circumvents their own rules.

So where is Japan hiding them? In a cave somewhere?

Hyatus wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 12:01:
Of course, there is the fact that no Asian country could make a decent game [...]

Uhm...Japan?

Yeah, Japan. They've been irrelevant for like 15 years. No one gives a flying fuck about FFXXXIIIIV or w/e other cliched crap they just can't let go of.

I dont play console games so I can't give a list off the top of my head, but I know a lot of people rave about Dark Souls, so there's at least one recent relevant game. Sure enough they release a lot of 'cliched' crap, but then so do US publishers. How many WWII, or realistic FPSs do we really need. Diablo 3 had the one of the more hackneyed plots I've seen in awhile. If you don't like Japanese games that's fine but it comes off as trollish to suggest they don't make fun games because you don't like the Final Fantasy Series anymore.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jul 2, 2012, 11:56 Pigeon

Once again torn. Who do I hate more? Blizzard or China....tough one.

Of course, there is the fact that no Asian country could make a decent game to save their lives(which i dont understand since they supposed to be all Mr. computer)....so there is that. Then again BLizz is in empire strikes back mode lately...hmmm.

Japan has consumed all of Asia's game making talent.

Reading the article it doesn't seem like 'China' is promoting it, but that one of the possible distributors is. The reason the game hasn't released in China yet is because of China's over the top censorship among other things. So I highly doubt they'd promote a 'crack' that circumvents their own rules.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2012, 10:57 Pigeon

So long as the kiddo was quiet, and didn't loudly ask awkward questions like 'what is that man doing on top of that woman?' I highly doubt anyone noticed or cared.  

News Comments > Diablo III RMAH Issues
66. Re: Diablo III RMAH Issues Jul 1, 2012, 21:29 Pigeon

eunichron wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 17:53:
DG wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 17:34:
Started Inferno today.

Fuck.

I actually got owned by a normal mob. I hadn't figured on needing to use powers on a regular mob. I got through a few champions and two elite packs, but I wasn't expecting to have to use powers on regular mobs.

They die okay enough, I mean, on Hell my enchantress was one-shotting them and now barely scratches them, but they go down in 3-4 swings and she's overdue for an upgrade.

But damn, even a little scrape from a zombie thing takes a chunk of health off. Must be at least 2000hp a scratch? A mob that on Hell couldn't take down HP faster than I could regen it even without the battle cry, now has me running away even with battle cry. TBF maybe I overdid the resistances thing, hence being able to deal with the magic the elites are throwing around whilst getting wasted on physical damage.

Maybe if I farm Hell for a while I could make enough gold to gear up. I guess need to do Hell because so far in Inferno the gold drop doesn't seem to be any better, and a *lot* worse if I can't get nehalem valour. Actually maybe the +115% gold find is another thing I'll have to sacrifice...

But, nope. I work hard enough at work and farming feels like more work, only less satisfying and unpaid. Why the fuck would I do that? Are these guys doing massive amounts of farming in need of a job or what? And no, I'm not going to buy off the RMAH because that's not gaming entertainment either - and it's certainly not good value.

Act I is the easy part, if you can kill Diablo on Hell difficulty, you can complete Act I Inferno.

MF/GF is pretty much useless, unless you're a Demon Hunter or Wizard who can get away with just using a high dps weapon but low stats from gear, but it sounds like you're playing a barbarian. Keep your resists, as a melee they're more important than anything. 300-400 in all resists should be enough for Act I, but you'll want at least 600 for Act II+ (War Cry+Impunity is pretty much mandatory for all Barbarians). Keep your HP above 35,000, and don't neglect your armor value. Your dps doesn't matter as much as long as you can survive. My barbarian only does 7,500 base on his character sheet, but I can clear Act I without issue. A sword 'n' board tank spec would obviously be the safest, but there are dual wield and 2h specs out there that are just as viable (though some of them are a bit clunky to play, especially the dual tornadoes whirlwind spec).

As for "massive amounts of farming" ... well yeah, it's pretty much required. You will not progress through Inferno without farming, but you don't need to go back to Hell to do it, and actually it's more beneficial to do it in Act I.

I actually put on all MF/GF gear and farmed act I, I didn't seem to get more but the quality of items *seemed higher, more 60+ilvl not too many 50's-58 like I normally get. With my 5 stacks I was at 183% MF. There were a few packs I had to switch back to my regular gear for.

You might be able to find some relatively cheap upgrades in the AH if you want to go that route, just enough to make it a tad easier to farm. Most of the elites in Act I don't have any annoying innate abilities, so you just have to deal with annoying affix combos. Act II inferno makes act I feel like normal difficulty :/

Back on subject; there is a follow up on the guy who is dealing with the region change/$200 b.net account wipe. He updated the original link to contain a link to the follow up. Frankly I don't see how it's legal to do what they're doing. It'd be like getting a gift-card or a pre-paid credit card, and then having the company say, 'thanks for the money chump, but you get nothing in return.' Hopefully he can at least get his money refunded.

48. Re: Diablo III RMAH Issues Jul 1, 2012, 12:41 Pigeon

RailWizard wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 11:46:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 05:44:
Darks wrote on Jun 30, 2012, 23:04:
Personally I hope the RMAH goes away permanently. It has absolutely destroyed the game.

And I hope Blizzard gets their asses sued off.

How has it destroyed the game? I voted with my wallet and didn't buy this (will play TL2 instead), so I'm wondering. If you don't spend actual money will you be way underpowered?

1. It's pretty much a miracle if you find something that you can actually use.

2. At lvl 60, good items cost anywhere from 12million gold to 21 million. People ask this much to get you to either buy gold and/or buy items off the RMAH. Unless you game the ever loving shit out of the AH(10 whole items at a time...), or buy gold from the shitsucking farmers, good fucking luck amassing that much gold.

3. Items on the RMAH will be $100 USD and upwards. There is a 'recommended upgrades' section on the RMAH... For my lvl 60 wizard, it's page after page of stuff costing $100 to $250. Items...in a video game!

If this was Diablo 2, you could pretty easily ignore the AH(if it had one), but in D3, set items are insanely rare(I've never found one, and know nobody that has), more rare than legendary items....and you've probably read news about drop rates for rares being upped, but it still sucks, and inferno is still way harder than D2's highest difficulty. Harder + less reward so we get desperate and hit the AH or RMAH.

Prices were somewhat bearable before the RMAH came along, then they hit low orbit and beyond. To the moon! Plus we have heavy repair costs now. ~3000g per death, and you WILL die, lots. Crafting a lvl 60+ item is ~50,000g. You might craft 100 items and they will all be shit. Combining a gem above the ones that drop in inferno = 30,000g. I don't even want to know what the higher tier gems cost.

It's basically a gold farmers wet dream economy, and Blizzard is right there grinning and drooling along side them.

This

Also I think the game design really pushes reliance on the AH. Essentially the mechanics of bosses don't get harder, they just hit harder, have a lot more health, and many have enrage timers. So even if you're good avoiding attacks (skill) while you slowly shave off the boss's health you'll be screwed if you can't do it fast enough. Thus you need gear that's good for survivability and DPS, which is few and far between.

I've been farming act II for about 2 weeks now, a few hours a day, and have gotten 1 'sort of' upgrade. The rest I try to hock on the AH to cover my repair costs. I've been banging my head against Belial, and I've come to the conclusion that I just don't have the DPS atm, and AH upgrades that would make a perceptible difference are in the 6+ million range.

I did find a set item and managed to sell it for 3 million, but that's really not enough to get the good upgrades I'd need.

Also despite their pride in a flexible skill system, they punish players for changing skills by removing Neph Valor stacks. Which seems contrary to all of their 'stated' gameplay goals. /rant

7. Re: Diablo III RMAH Issues Jun 30, 2012, 19:51 Pigeon

jamiedj99 wrote on Jun 30, 2012, 19:27:
there is a problem with this because its impossable to post for anything for lest then 1.25 so if they saw it posted at 0.00 they are lying or editing there photos

It could have been bugged showing an impossible amount ($0.00). The AHs have been having problems, the link isn't to some pictures, but a blue post about AH display bugs.

Blizzard should be responsible for the prices that are displayed. You can't just say, OH ITS A BUG TEEHEE, we really meant $150 which you now owe.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Updated
1. Re: Team Fortress 2 Updated Jun 28, 2012, 11:18 Pigeon

Okay apparently I don't have to wait for someone to mod in pyro vision as they've already done it.  

965 Comments. 49 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo