Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 965 (Graduate)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
21. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jun 17, 2013, 09:51 Pigeon

You know what I like about my SNES? I can still play all my SNES games 20+ years later should I so desire.

Did MS forget they had competition? Did they fire everyone not having the delusion that purchasing their console would be mandated by the world's governments? Is the echo up their own ass that great? I'm just trying to wrap my head around how a company could screw up so badly, in so many ways.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 13:37 Pigeon

I think the only company who has promised lower prices after more stringent DRM and sort of come through on that promise has been Valve with Steam. Even in that case I think its more because someone realized they can continue to make a good profit off an old game if they discount it after a year or so, or hold sales.

Publishers and developers have been giving this same song and dance for the last 20 years.

Creston wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 11:38:
Verno wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 11:27:
I remember EA saying once that they felt digital sales devalued games, these companies are not just going to kill used games and suddenly start doing what Steam does, they do not fundamentally believe in it. The whole thing is about control and that's why people should push back on it. The publishers didn't hold a gun to Microsofts head and make them do this either.

Exactly. I love that Mehdi is coming up with this fairy tale of "Well, we kill the used market and ram all these restrictions up your ass, so suddenly publishers are going to slash prices OUT OF THE KINDNESS OF THEIR HEARTS!"

When EA, Activision and their ilk read that quote, they probably all went "He said WHAT? That motherfucker crazy."

Creston

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2013, 11:15 Pigeon

Just get it over with and start stacking people like cord wood.  

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 14, 2013, 10:08 Pigeon

There is only one cloud and its name is The Cloud and Xbox One is its profit.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 14, 2013, 09:12 Pigeon

Good thing this kind of corporate thinking wasn't around 1000s of years ago. We'd all be paying royalties to some company because they discovered invented corn.

Anyways good job Supreme Court for getting at least one thing right.

14. Re: Sony's E3 victory PR stunt article Jun 13, 2013, 11:58 Pigeon

I'm not certain, since so much of this article seemed to be a manic brain dump of half formed ideas, but it seemed like he wants consoles to be PCs. Being able to buy more powerful Xbox Ones and retain all the games you had for the previous version, but newer games can't be played on old Xbox ones. Presumably because hardware is so disposable these day.

Which frankly sounds terrible. One of the few advantages of consoles over the PC is that games are designed specifically for the hardware, thus you don't have to worry about your console becoming obsolete in a year. All the games made for your console will play just fine on your console.

Creston wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 11:17:
How does doing the same thing again meet the underlying challenges PlayStation faces in 2013?

Because that's what the gamers want? And they have slowly been flocking towards Sony, and will now do so in droves?

Whether Sony gets enough exclusives doesn't matter. Microsoft has already made certain that a large number of gamers has no interest in their console. Those people will now go to Sony by default. It's only the diehard Halo fan and the idiot who doesn't know what he's buying that will stick with the TVBox.

Microsoft pitched us live TV in an on-demand world

Giggle Yeah, Microsoft came up with that. It's impossible to watch live TV in an on-demand world without a TVBox, I guess?

The rest of the article is barely cohesive drivel that, I THINK, whines about how the announced games were unimpressive? Well duh, when have the launch games for a console EVER been impressive? The only reason the PS2 sold like a gangster out of the gate was because it was compatible with the PS1 and so there was this massive library of games that people could play on it.

It ends with this doozy.
a wider view of the PlayStation position suggests Sony gets what it has to do. The challenge now is that it has to go do it

Wow, somebody get Jack Tretton on the line, because this is significant insight. I'm certain Jack never thought of that.

Creston

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 10:15 Pigeon

'Upon first logging into the Xbox One customers will be rewarded with the P.T. Barnum achievement'

At least that's how I wish the article had read.

News Comments > Diablo III Expansion in 2014?
21. Re: Diablo III Expansion in 2014? Jun 12, 2013, 09:29 Pigeon

Inferno act-II was where I hit the wall. I could either grind for gear that didn't drop for days or go to the AH where anything worthwhile was exorbitant. Maybe that's changed now, but unless I log in and the monsters start spraying useful loot, its going to be hard to keep me interested.

Golwar wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 08:48:
After I didn't touch the game for more than a year, I came back last week ... and stayed. 1.08 is a far better game than 1.05 was. Or was it 1.04?

I first finished Nightmare and Hell with my DH and was prepared to leave the game again when I'd reach Inferno. But I could afford some decent gear and currently do 67k dps and am well protected. I appreciate that I can exactly specify what kind of item I'm looking for. And that I don't have to waste hours, days and weeks to talk to greedy traders. Sorry if that makes me a bad gamer. ;p

News Comments > Diablo III Expansion in 2014?
6. Re: Diablo III Expansion in 2014? Jun 11, 2013, 22:30 Pigeon

Well that doesn't seem like enough time to turn it into diablo II with better graphics.  

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 10:09 Pigeon

Kajetan wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 09:20:
Verno wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 09:09:
Sony really gave it to Microsoft sans lube last night, I haven't seen an owning like that since the last time I watched Sepharo beat up my server in CS.
And the really funny thing is ... people are excited about the PS4 not about something special Sony might have done, but because Microsoft so utterly, utterly fucked up their own product.

Pretty much all Sony had to do was show up and not announce something terrible like required rectal probing, and this generation of consoles was theirs for the taking.

MS didn't just shoot themselves in the foot, they planted a landmine and then stepped on it.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 10, 2013, 13:50 Pigeon

Peter King is already calling for him to be extradited, and then 'harshly' prosecuted. He called him a defector and accused him of espionage.

Beamer wrote on June 10, 2013, 12:25:
avianflu wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 12:24:
Glad he put it out there as a point of debate -- though his normal life is over probably forever.

But he'll probably reap rewards from that.

The big difference between him and the prior leak is that Snowden was a contractor. He was a civilian, not military.

I haven't heard anyone call him a traitor, though I wouldn't be surprised. I just don't think it's going to be as many people. There's no argument to be made here that he put any lives in danger. And I'm sure people here will argue the wikileaks didn't, either, but yes, there's an argument to be made, however strong or weak it is.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 10, 2013, 12:15 Pigeon

Politics is almost solely about talking points and sound bites now; this is how elections get decided. If a politician shows any level of complex thinking they're weeded out in the primaries. Do you support higher taxes YES or NO, do you support a strong military YES or NO. If a politician deviates from a yes or no answer they're hit from all sides called a waffler or flip-flopper, etc. The politicians embrace it, the media propagates it and the public accepts it.

Maybe this will open people's eyes a little more, and fall into the trap of anything labeled national security is good.

Panickd wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 11:41:
Verno wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 10:47:
I know people will label him a traitor for disclosing classified information but when the NSA is literally lying to Congress, what else can be done?

While I don't think he should be branded a traitor for whistleblowing, the NSA was most assuredly not lying to Congress. In fact Congress just voted to extend the measures of the Patriot Act that specifically allow this type of data collection. This is a case of the folks elected to Congress either not reading the things they're voting on or not being smart enough to understand the implications of what they're voting on. I find it laughable how much outrage poured out of the very people who are on record as having voted for the bill that sparked that outrage. If you're a Congressperson it is your job to read and make sure you understand what you're putting your vote to. Don't understand it? Then ask for clarification or abstain.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 7, 2013, 10:09 Pigeon

Dear Publishers,

Which one of you wants to admit your terrible DRM scheme and receive bad publicity for the next 10 months while your competitors quietly do the same thing and receive praise?

Odd, no one is saying anything.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 6, 2013, 13:04 Pigeon

Fry: You know what I like about you Umbriel, you find me fascinating, even when I'm not pretending to be a jewel thief or a lion tamer.
Umbriel : (Gasp) You have Sea Lions on the surface?
Fry: Yeah. We call them Land-Sea-Lions. I tame them.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 6, 2013, 10:10 Pigeon

That dating article can be consolidated into 2 things.

1. These sites exist to make money, not out of altruism.

2. People lie... a lot.

News Comments > New Diablo III Game Director
33. Re: New Diablo III Game Director Jun 6, 2013, 09:52 Pigeon

MindStalker3 wrote on Jun 6, 2013, 09:42:
So I haven't played this game since shortly after it came out. Played for 3 weeks maybe then put it away.

Is there anything in it worth reinstalling?

I've logged in intending to play, but then thinking about the prospect of grinding away on mobs for boring ass loot caused me to log-off without actually playing.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
8. Re: Patent Trolls Jun 5, 2013, 08:59 Pigeon

Unfortunately I get the feeling this legislation will go nowhere once it hits the House.  

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 4, 2013, 11:59 Pigeon

The only thing worse than quicktime is realplayer, and I'm not even sure about that statement because I've probably not used realplayer in 10 years.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2013, 09:49 Pigeon

Greek yogurt bleh. It tastes too much like old off milk; it doesn't surprise me in the least it produces a byproduct that's hazardous for the environment.  

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Jun 1, 2013, 18:24 Pigeon

I'll have to try out that graphical enhancement. Last time I played it I noticed how dated it looked.  

965 Comments. 49 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo