Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 965 (Graduate)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts?
3. Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 10:30 Pigeon

Sooo, they're going to make it F2P now right? If you have a subscription model you don't make the game pay to succeed. While this isn't a huge deal and doesn't really effect end game success, its the first step in the wrong direction. It'll be interesting to see how far this goes.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII
8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 11:06 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 10:59:
Verno wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 10:36:
It's kind of funny actually, the emulated version on PCSX-R or ePSXe looks pretty good with AA + uprezzed textures. It also has the actual soundtrack. This is pretty damned lazy of Square-Enix.

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed that they didn't spend five fucking minutes on this. I'm hopeful the FFX/FFX-2 remaster will actually have more work done to it.

Does that ePSXe thing you mentioned just run? Or is it like that PS2 emulator where you need to become Fastjack and hack the bios out of your PS2 before it will work?

Creston

Its not as user friendly as say zsnes. You'll need bios, but those can be found.

Last time I used it, it took a good deal of tweeking to get things working properly, and the level of tweeking varies from game to game. Nothing difficult,it can just take a bit of time to get things right.

5. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 10:51 Pigeon

Kajetan wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 10:40:
Verno wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 10:20:
Probably better off just emulating the original disc with ePSXe, will look and sound better.
Not just probably. While you can crank up the visuals, its the sound & music that makes an emulated PSX version far superior to the PC version. And we're talking Nobuo Uematsu sound & music!!

And it doesnt require any online connection/account thingy. Just play.

Can you play straight off the disc with ePSXe, or is it one of those things where you can, but you're better off ripping it?

2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 10:33 Pigeon

This game has not aged particularly well, even the higher rez PC version. I'm having a hard time getting excited by this, I loved the game when it came out and played the crap out of it on my PS1, but as far as "old school" FF games go FFIV and FFVI hold a lot more nostalgia. Now there's what I'd like to see, FFVI redone much like they did with FFIV. Fixing a few of the bugs, and adding a some new stuff with a nice graphical overhaul.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
14. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 3, 2013, 22:37 Pigeon

This could turn out horrible, but it sounds like the only good idea they've introduced to the xbone. Unfortunately for Microsoft they're already solidly in the griefer pool and are going to have to go a long time without being dicks to get out of it.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Video
6. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer Jul 3, 2013, 16:59 Pigeon

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 13:54:
NeOCidE wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 09:40:
Can these guys do anything wrong?

Love you CD Projekt RED

Liked one a lot better than two. The Dwarven town layout design of Witcher 2 is nothing short of maddening. I liked the combat and pace much better in one. The new combat mod did very little to help.

That said, they aren't bad at all and I look forward to #3.

2 felt a lot more like a console port than 1 did, and yeah I liked the combat better in 1. I know a lot of people didn't like switching between styles, but the combat in 2 did nothing to improve upon that.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 3, 2013, 14:53 Pigeon

theglaze wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 10:55:
Team 17 is being ambitious with this new title, and it's about time. Armageddon always had a strong backbone of skill too it: despite the silly presentation it had surprising depth. It looks like they are aiming to recreate that, but they shouldn't go too far with it.

Turned based games must force the player to realize that the mistake or good move he made 2-3 turns ago was the pivotal point. If they go overboard with Flying Monkeys or whatever else, then the game will feel more like a dice roll where skilled moves are overshadowed by lucky drops. A tricky balance to get right.

I thought Reloaded was a disappointment, and I'm ready for Team 17 to redeem themselves! Day 1 purchase for me.

I picked up reloaded on the cheap, and it just doesn't feel like a worms game. Its not bad, it just doesn't feel right.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 3, 2013, 09:32 Pigeon

The flareWatch, is that a euphemism for watching money burn? What's the difference between this and regular cable? Do you get more control over what you watch and when or are you still stuck watching what's on when its on (excluding the DVR since you can hook one of those up to regular service as well)?  

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Jul 1, 2013, 16:29 Pigeon

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 15:24:
I have some fond memories of EQ too, but I think nostalgia is coloring a lot of views here. So many of the mechanics in EQ were ridiculously lame when you step back and view them objectively; sure it's funny to think back to the HUNDREDS of hours people spent camping a Beholder Bag(0 weight bag monks needed) or the weak SoW boots or any of the other insane camps that most people felt were required to play, but the monotony of that shit needs to be remembered too.

Nostalgia does indeed cloud perception. There are several games I remember fondly, but stopped playing with good reason. I often think of the aspects I liked and wonder how they could be applied without the mind numbing grindfest,I didn't like.

For example, I like when regular monsters have interesting drops, but having to kill 8 billion of them to get anything is annoying, and usually in those types of games, drop hunting is pretty much the only thing there is.

Maybe one day I'll write up something about all the things I'd want in an MMO, if only for my own amusement.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jul 1, 2013, 11:42 Pigeon

I'm more forgiving of WoW in these respects as its a huge game and its been around so long. When you're leveling your 3rd or 4th character (or tenth) you really don't want to trudge through all the content (again) you've spent the last 3 years playing.

With new MMO's there's really no excuse for people being able to blow through to level cap in a week's time. Basically there needs to be some kind of engaging content that isn't level based. On the other hand I think that's where gamer expectations are at the moment. We've been trained to expect our rewards through character leveling and then equipment leveling for end game. I'm a little worried any serious attempt to break that mold would be met with disinterest as it doesn't meet people's expectations of what an MMO should be.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 1, 2013, 09:57 Pigeon

Edelstein Asks: How Should We Treat Texters and Talkers at Movie Theaters?

With gasoline and matches.

News Comments > Darkspore Off Steam; Abandoned?
1. Re: Darkspore Off Steam; Abandoned? Jul 1, 2013, 09:51 Pigeon

Apparently you want to steer clear of anything with the word spore in it that's published by EA... or just steer clear of EA in general.  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
8. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 30, 2013, 02:39 Pigeon

Nice to see someone being humble and insightful, you know instead of being a giant dick in suit.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 23:06 Pigeon

DAH POWAH OF DER CLOUD!!!! ITS M4JIC!!!

So anytime you have to use the word 'magic' to explain how your product is going to be better than your competitor, you should probably just STFU instead because you have absolutely no clue. Some other acceptable options might be, defer to a more knowledgeable employee, or point in a random direction and say 'OH SHIT LOOK AT THAT' while fleeing rapidly in the other direction.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 10:02 Pigeon

Interesting chart, explains why a few systems never really left the ground, pricing is everything. I've not really heard people complain much about the PS4 pricing and I think most of the complaints about the Xbone pricing are centered around having to pay more for a system that has several unattractive usage requirements, when there's a cheaper, more powerful, system that doesn't have those requirements.  

News Comments > Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds
3. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 09:50 Pigeon

Half-Life 3 the free to play MMO. Purchase a selection of jaunty hats for Gordon, and bling out your gravity gun with the Breendazzler. Remember guys think the worst to avoid disappointments.  

News Comments > Diablo III Bans
9. Re: Diablo III Bans Jun 27, 2013, 23:30 Pigeon

kunic wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 21:38:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 21:36:
I wonder who is actually playing D3 right now... even if you aren't bored to death, it's pointless to play before patch 1.09(assuming it comes out in our lifetimes) when they do the re-itemization.

There are tens of thousands of bots of course, but I can't picture living people still in D3 at this point. This is dead time for that game.

I'm currently playing D3. But it's more or less to see what's changed since launch. My goal is to hit at least Paragon 50 and be geared enough to handle MP8, then I'm waiting for 1.0.9.

I finally got around to giving 1.08 a try as well and things had improved. The impenetrable wall the was inferno Belial wasn't nearly the issue it was. Drops were a little better but nothing exciting. So better but not anywhere near D-II levels.

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 27, 2013, 17:02 Pigeon

People using hardware in innovative ways not intended by the developer? We can't have that now can -_-  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 27, 2013, 15:42 Pigeon

Guy who stolefound iPhone regrets getting caught and getting stiffed by the company that purchased it.

It seems like an astounding revelation about morality and the state of ownership for lost property did not occur.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 26, 2013, 11:59 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 11:26:
Prez wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 11:13:
but I could live with DRM that needs online activation but allows unlimited offline play.

The funny thing is, back then we couldn't. (And it wasn't so much the online activation part as the fact that you were allowed to install the fucking thing a grand total of three times, and then had to BEG the fucking publisher to be allowed to install it more.)

And so the lines shift. Ten years from now, most people will look back at the Xbone fiasco and go "Huh. Really? That's what people got upset about? Used games and having to be online?"

Also, ten years from now, Will Wright will still be a fucking cockbag.

Creston

There was also the issue of Spore being completely underwhelming compared to the original promise. I think that year Will Wright won the Peter Molyneux award for grand misrepresentation, surprisingly beating out Peter Molyneux.

965 Comments. 49 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo