Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1220 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 7, 2014, 10:13 Pigeon

In response Dell said that the money was being charged for the time and labour involved.

"In this particular situation, the customer would not be charged for the Mozilla Firefox software download, rather the fee would cover the time and labour involved for factory personnel to load a different image than is provided on the system's standard configuration."

Because so much labor is involved in what is essentially an automated process. I'd be surprised if it even takes 30 minutes to create an image that can be automatically installed on thousands of computers.

I hope they get nailed for being so greedy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DICE: No Damage from BF4 Launch; New Patch; Carrier Assault Details
1. Re: DICE: No Damage from BF4 Launch; New Patch; Carrier Assault Details Mar 7, 2014, 09:21 Pigeon

The reason why Battlefield 4 suffered through some extreme challenges, Jorgensen said, was because of the "complexity" of the game (64-player online, tablet support), as well as the fact that DICE was working with new consoles like the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Because those consoles are so different from PCs...

News Comments > Dark Souls II PC Specs
2. Re: Dark Souls II PC Specs Mar 7, 2014, 09:10 Pigeon

My PC is starting to miss those minimum specs requirements. At least the processor is. I may need to upgrade sometime later this year.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 7, 2014, 09:07 Pigeon

I just bought a new office chair, that's probably one of the few things I'd really want to buy at an actual store as opposed to online. Someone of the ones that looked nice online were shit when I actually sat in them at the store. Computers, various other electronics, ink paper, and all the other office crap is cheaper online and you don't have to leave your house shut in forever.  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Mar 6, 2014, 09:51 Pigeon

InBlack wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:32:
Yakubs wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:28:
Let's look back on the game in a year or more before deigning the patch a success. D3 1.0 was "fun" for a short time too.

No not really though. The problems became more than apparent once you reached Inferno. Faith in Blizzard kept people playing but that too seemed to be misplaced once the fails and frustration started piling up...

I think people had hope that once you hit inferno the drops would be more tailored to the content you were playing. Instead you hit a gear check wall and it was near impossible to get the gear you needed without turning to Auction House the Game. At least that's the experience I had.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 6, 2014, 09:38 Pigeon

wtf_man wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:25:
Americans like it for free but Europeans still prefer to pay for protection.

The problem is, consumer level Protection isn't all that great... and the free ones aren't that far behind the paid ones as far as catching what the consumer level products can catch.

No company offers Enterprise level protection at a reasonable consumer price, yet. If you want to go with cloud based... zscaler has a minimum of $700 a year for a small business. If you want to go with a Next gen firewall with full subscriptios that has https inspection... you're talking $1200-$1500 for the device, then $300+ a year for subscription.

So, free AV + Norton DNS or OpenDNS configured on the router level is the best bang for the buck for a home user. Of course, other little things like running no-script in the browser, keeping the OS, flash, reader, and java patched (if you use it), helps.

If I could pick up zscaler for $100 a year... I'd be on it in a heartbeat. Complete protection for all of my devices and completely sanitized traffic, and no expensive perimeter device to maintain/upgrade, since it's cloud based.

I gave up on paid services when I had a laptop having hardware issues, that required me to format it as part of the tech-support check list. Reinstalling the software was a pain in the ass because of the DRM. Maybe they've since made it an easier/more intelligent process, but it was enough to get me away from paying.

News Comments > MS Planning DirectX 12
2. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 08:52 Pigeon

Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 08:46:
Surface tablet exclusive

It'll probably be windows 8 only, as microsoft tries to strong arm people into upgrading.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
28. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2014, 17:02 Pigeon

Verno wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 15:40:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 15:31:
Well....the CURRENT issue with increasing min wage is that the small businesses just pass off the increased costs to their customers. So you are robbing from peter to pay paul. I have a lot of friends (service industry) who own/work/etc small biz, bars, restaurants, service companies, etc., and they have flat out said "the increase in vegetables has forced me to increase my food costs" and "Obamacare has forced me to increase prices" and "if min wage goes up my prcies go up" and "gas prices has increased my prices from vendors and I pass that on to the consumer".

Fair enough. Personally I don't think it's a simple net zero and I would like to see it only applied to corporations at a certain income threshold rather than all companies equally. I agree that minimum wage jobs are supposed to be a life stopgap and not a career but the current economic climate isn't helping much in that regard. People aren't just going to spend 30% more for everything across the board, that money goes to a lot of different places, many of which serve to enrich those workers in other areas like education.

Unfortunately there is no silver bullet, a minimum wage increase by itself is a bandaid on a larger problem where top income earners are not reinvesting enough wealth back into the economy. This is something Buffett recognizes that most of his ilk do not.

This is certainly where my argument for increasing minimum wages stems from. Currently wealth is being damned up at the top, they have more money than they can reasonably spend. The poor on the other hand have less than they can spend. Anything they get will be put towards living expenses; food, housing, clothing, etc. Essentially its not removing money from business, but putting more money in flow (I'm sure there's a better economic term for that). So while they're paying more out, their business should also increase because their customer base has more money to spend at their establishments.

My worry is business would react to the short term situation, i.e. having to pay employees more, by laying off employees before the longer term benefits can be reached, i.e. increased customer base/spending.

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2014, 14:57 Pigeon

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 14:41:
Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 11:11:
Task wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 10:48:
I'm confused Beamer, Warren Buffet is a crook, IE, Legalized Crook, bitcoins or not.

I can't tell if you linking to a cartoon is a sign of a joke or not. I'd be curious to know what makes Buffett, who's actually a decent guy and actually concerned with job creation (of course, already being a billionaire with nothing to prove helps this, but it separates him from so many others out there) makes him a crook.

I respect Buffet for what he has done in the media and speaks against the class warfare. Having many friends who work service industry, gotta respect his attitude of $15.00 min wage (I personally don't agree - but I have to respect it).

It would be great for injecting more money flow into the economy, as people making $15 are going to be spending almost all of what they make. Much of it in those industries that employee minimum wage workers. It should also increase the tax base so there are less "free-loaders". The biggest problem I think that would occur are massive layoffs as companies try to avoid that initial hit.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 5, 2014, 09:15 Pigeon

Because the Comcast subscriber's signal will be kept separate from the second, publicly available signal, the subscriber's speed and privacy shouldn't be affected, Comcast officials said, acknowledging that such concerns have been raised in test markets.

And Comcast should be trusted because reliability, fairness and top-notch customer service are hallmarks of their business.

Nonsubscribers will get two free hours a month; beyond that, they can access Xfinity Wi-Fi on a per-use basis. Rates run from $2.95 per hour to $19.95 per week, according to Comcast.

So not only are they getting their current customers to pay for the installation fees so they can make it look like they have a massive hot-spot network, but they also get to profit off these residential hot-spots by selling access to them... I didn't realize that south park episode was actually a documentary >_<

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 5, 2014, 08:56 Pigeon

nin wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 08:45:
PS4 PlayStation Plus will get free triple-a games later this year, insider claims.

Only a matter of time. Hello, Knack!

Now I have to put off buying any triple-A games so I don't buy one I'll get for free O_O

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 4, 2014, 14:33 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 14:19:
Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 14:08:
I'll never understand why people use those machines in the first place. Shitty product, needlessly pricey, and environmental nightmares.

I agree, but it's all we have at work. I'd have to drive somewhere which costs both more time and gasoline. Either way, I lose. I only use a porcelain mug, no disposable cups, so trying to help in that way.

The worst part is each "cup" is not nearly enough to fill my mug with coffee

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 4, 2014, 11:59 Pigeon

ldonyo wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 10:42:
Keurig will probably get slapped down just like printer makers did when they tried the same thing years ago.

Yeah that's pretty shitty, I hope this fails, but the current culture of law seems to be more supportive of corporate protective measures than allowing competition and consumer choice.

I use one at work cause the regular coffee from the dispenser has notes of chocolate followed by a strong vomit taste. The k-cups are expensive for what you get, but at least drinkable :/

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Vaccine Mar 4, 2014, 09:40 Pigeon

So willfully ignorant people choose to remain willfully ignorant; not a huge surprise. That one story about what a friend of a friend's mother read on the internet about some person who's 3rd cousin twice removed got Autism from a vaccination is worth 100 scientific peer reviewed articles.  

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 4, 2014, 09:28 Pigeon

Just a guess, but I don't think the people that have been holding out on windows XP are going to jump to win 8 because its the newest. Clearly they don't care about something being the newest. They'll probably grab Win 7 or switch to Linux, if they switch at all.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 4, 2014, 09:25 Pigeon

I am quoting John Riccitiello (former EA CEO) back in 2012 who told me that he thought that Microsoft was going to eat Sony's lunch the next cycle. But we all thought so because we thought that Xbox 360 had a large, loyal install base and multiplayer and we thought that Sony would price [the PS4] about the same as the Xbox, but we didn't think Xbox One would be $500. I frankly thought they were both going to be 400 and the possibility that the Xbox One would be 350. I thought Microsoft might be that bold. They made a mistake and they priced too high and I think that caught everybody by surprise. So I haven't talked to John Riccitiello about this since, but it's pretty clear that at a $100 price advantage Sony is going to beat out Xbox until the price is the same.

But, the spy cam, wannabe Star Trek voice commands and TEH POWAH OF THE CLOUD, how can that not be worth at least $100 more?

I must admit, I've not mastered the share button on the PS4. I was trying to record a particular portion of gameplay in Outlast, and wasn't sure how to reliably record what I wanted. I felt like an old man trying to figure out how to work his VCR.

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Mar 3, 2014, 17:04 Pigeon

Linksil wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 16:48:
The BoA gear came to be because they don't want people trading. They want people to be forced into self found and because they believe the only thing "FUN" about Diablo games is FINDING the upgrade yourself. Also with removal of the AH they don't want people jumping all over the 3rd party sites so this is another way to remove that. Hell look at the high gold costs for end game stuffs, yet you can't even trade gold.

I almost feel like they were afraid if they had just dropped the RMAH and made better loot, they would be admitting they screwed up one of the main focuses of the game for profit.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Mar 3, 2014, 11:59 Pigeon

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 10:15:
I've been loving loot 2.0 but been absolutely hating the Bind on Account system Blizzard have decided to approach to regulate the loot and trade system.

Loot 2.0 means when I play my Wizard, all those sweet, upgraded legendary items which Blizzard has been giving out handjobs about will spawn with Intelligence as their primary role regardless of the item that drops. Now, while the stats it will role are great for that class, it pretty much makes grinding loot for your Barbarian while on your Wizard useless. On top of that, if you solo play, you're stuck with the item and all you can do is shard it if it's not up to snuff which you currently wear. This is with nearly all legendary items, regardless of level. I crafted a level 52 Fist Weapon and it was account bound.

I have a lot more fiery brimstone since starting again.

I'd say throwing in a bind on account system to replace the auction house is only a minor gain on going back to a bartering system especially when rare items seem to be less than ideal compared to bound legendary items.

I let the update install last night, but I've yet to actually play. That certainly doesn't sound ideal as you can't use your high gear-level character to grind high level gear for an alt. Still a better system than the hours of crap useless gear that was in place before. At least in the new system if you play the character you should see useful drops.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2014, 09:42 Pigeon

I was gonna say it sucks that they drop support after only 5 years, but the cost of upgrading seems much more reasonable. Unless you have to do something silly like purchase each upgrade in the path to the newest version.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
10. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 17:24 Pigeon

Our competitors are doing to us exactly what we've been doing to them. THIS CANNOT STAND!! Furious2  

1220 Comments. 61 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo