Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1201 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
10. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 17:24 Pigeon

Our competitors are doing to us exactly what we've been doing to them. THIS CANNOT STAND!! Furious2  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support
24. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 14:09 Pigeon

Quboid wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 12:57:
Jamil20 wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 12:45:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 09:22:
FTA: KNOWN ISSUE – You may be able to get a better picture by setting the resolution to the native Oculus Rift resolution (1280×800)

Virtual reality, in its current, past and near future forms, is laughable and a distraction.

That's an unfair assessment.
That is the native resolution of the developer kit's screen. The consumer version will be at least a 1080p screen, perhaps 1440p.

This is about the most innovation in gaming we're getting now-a-days. The xbone and ps4 aren't pushing any limits of modern hardware. That's our performance target for the next 5 years otherwise.

For some reason some people are really keen to shit on the Rift. Also on Star Citizen, for that matter. I have my doubts and concerns with both, SC in particular, but I consider them both to be exciting projects which could be brilliant.

Everyone that I have heard from who has actually tried the damn thing has absolutely loved it. Even people who can only wear it for a short period (and that internal 1080p prototype I mentioned should help a lot) are talking about it changing gaming. Nausea and resolution are the two complaints that I've heard, they've made progress on both but I'm sure the Rift 1 and probably the Rift 2, 3 and 4 if they exist will still have some issues on both counts.

I think it bodes well for Rift every-time you hear about a company adding support for it. A lot of gaming peripherals/gimmicks fail on launch because they only have a few token games that support on launch. The more support they have at launch the more likely it'll be a successful product. Its good for the consumer and the company, so not really sure why some people seem to get so angry when they see games working on Rift support.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2014, 13:30 Pigeon

nin wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 11:42:
Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 11:35:
Great article about potentially saving the Columbia. Very much worth a read.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but I swear, I think NASA are rockstars these days. They do all kinds of amazing shit, even with a strangled budget.

Agreed. When I get to feeling too much like the world is filled with nothing but petty, greedy, violent little shit monkeys, I usually go read about something NASA is doing. Makes me feel better seeing there are people out there actually making progress into understanding the universe and furthering knowledge.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 09:25 Pigeon

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 09:12:
nin wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 09:08:
Someone get major nelson in here for damage control!

So, without going into details, I found out yesterday I've come into some unexpected money. And for all of 10-15 seconds, I considered buying an xbone (specifically the titanfall bundle).

Then I was like "na, who am I kidding? I'm not rewarding those fucks."

Don't you dare !!
Just spend it on upgrading your PC instead, it will be money much better spent imo.

Right. Isn't Titan Fall being released on PC as well? You'll be able to get an actual 1080p at stable frame rates assuming you have a decent GFX made within the last 3 years. Plus mouse & keyboard is an unbeatable combo for FPSs.

News Comments > Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling
28. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 26, 2014, 08:38 Pigeon

FloorPie wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 07:55:
briktal wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 00:24:
Blackhawk wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 23:51:
For some people, yes. 1-90 is the point and the pleasure of the game. It is for me. For others, though, it is the end-game. They want the level 90 character for raiding, for heroics, for PvP.

As to 'pay to win', forget it. Someone who levels from 1 to 90 will have a huge advantage over someone who starts at 90 and has to learn dozens of skills and abilities, their interactions and rare utility from scratch.

1) Leveling isn't so bad the first time. It's not so fun the 4th or 10th time through the same content.

2) You don't use most of your abilities while leveling, you'll rarely fight a single target for more than 10-15 seconds to even get a chance to use the best rotation, and even when you do you'll probably be missing a core ability in that rotation until level 80+.

Heh, I learned awhile back they don't even give druids their mark of the wild buff until level 50-60 now.

The grind isn't so bad these days due to XP boosting gear that is account bound and can be sent across servers now too. That said, its not that much fun to me anymore unless I want just mindless grind action/distraction game time (aka diablo like).

I think ya'll have hit the issue pretty good. It usually takes a week for the majority of dedicated players to hit level max after an expansion. Or 2 days if they have no life and pull a gaming marathon. But alts are another story, as you're usually playing your main for raiding PvP and rep grinding, so leveling an alt gets tedious, and the more you have the worse it is. They should do something like the more level cap toons you have you get an increasing EXP bonus. But that would reward time investment and not a money investment.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 25, 2014, 15:16 Pigeon

ViRGE wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 12:15:
Mt. Gox, once the world’s largest Bitcoin exchange, shuts down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaTElBljOE

Now with any luck the rest of the exchanges and the whole infernal scam goes with it.

I don't know if a scam was the original intent, but it sure seems to have turned out that way.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2014, 14:46 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 12:37:
Rhett wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 12:07:
The crunch can be good... but Subway manages to make it look very unappealing. Last time I was in one (a couple weeks), the pocket for fritos was almost entirely empty too. Someone's buying it...

*shudders*

I mean, Americans eat some really weird combinations (like ham sandwiches with fucking MAYO on them!) but that just... ugh. It was already weird to me to see people eating chips as part of a meal, but okay. But to put them ON your sandwich?

Chips with a sandwich is weird? That's been like defacto American lunch since man first dipped thin sliced potato into hot boiling lard. Now on a sandwich, that's just blasphemy! I find the issue is they sort of cancel each other out when eaten in one mouthful. The flavors of the chip are muted by the sandwich and vice versa. Just wait till Asia gets a hold of our chip and sandwich technology. They have already wed pizza and hotdogs into an unholy monstrosity.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
11. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 24, 2014, 22:55 Pigeon

nin wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 19:18:
JediPunisher wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 19:14:
"Let’s be clear about this: Xbox One fully supports 1080p at 60 frames-per-second," said Eagle...
"It’s up to individual developers. Performance in this era comes from three areas: hardware, software and The Cloud."

In other words, the XBone won't be so pathetic when developers finally learn how to harness the incredible power of The Cloud! Fingerscrossed Pray

Christ, are they still touting that shit?

Bunch of atheist gamers and developers refuse to believe in the power of the THE CLOUD. Only if you acknowledge THE CLOUD as the one true savior of gaming will you be granted passage to the land of 1080p60FPS. Woe to the nonbelievers for the all watching eye sees their blasphemy and condemns them to oblivion with last gen resolutions and suboptimal frame-rates.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 24, 2014, 21:24 Pigeon

Maybe this has been all part of Netflix master plan. Pay for "direct" connections with the big ISPs to fix the "congestion" problem that's totally not a result of throttling, and then Netflix busts out with proof the ISPs were throttling them and sues the crap out of them, and um free netflix and ISPs for everyone....yeah...

Seriously though this is really sad and a terrible precedent for all content providers and a double fucking for consumers. It won't be long till services like netflix are as terrible and overpriced as cable.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 24, 2014, 09:50 Pigeon

Well that didn't take long. Though I guess in a contest of who is willing to give poor service to their customers the longest you'd be a fool to bet against Comcast. I do realize this isn't a tiered pay for performance move, but with all the news about possible throttling going on and the Comcast TimeWarner merger, it's not hard to imagine some sort of chicanery going on.

Not sure if it was here or not, but I did see something about the FCC wanting data from ISPs so they could see if the issues are actually congestion related or throttling.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2014, 09:55.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2014, 13:09 Pigeon

I swear the Discovery, and History channels do nothing but emit dangerous levels of stupid anymore. There's speculative science and then there's fantasy and fraud, and they seem to do much more of the latter than the former.  

News Comments > Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded
3. Re: Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded Feb 21, 2014, 13:00 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 12:51:
Cool news.

As for the internet hate, just ignore it. If your backers were fine with it, who the fuck cares about everyone else?

Really the only bad things I've heard about the game is it's length, and a few rumblings that the girl's section isn't as good. I'll have to check it out sometime. I did get a %25 off coupon for double-fine games, but I've got a back log to work through already so I may be better off waiting till its on sale.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Feb 21, 2014, 11:45 Pigeon

Spektr wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 07:33:
What happens when small teams start to make shooters that can pull audiences away from Titanfall? Football games that are more fun than Madden?

Let me guess... they'll get bought off by big studios?

Problem with Football games is EA holds the NFL license, and being able to play as your favorite team is a huge draw for sports games. It would be nice to play a game where there aren't things like Snickers Awareness and Gatorade Endurance upgrades for players...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 21, 2014, 09:54 Pigeon

Microsoft is just reaping what they've sown. They've been milking their office productivity line for a long time thinking it was untouchable. Now if that revenue source declines they will be screwed, since they've screwed up everywhere else.  

News Comments > Square Enix on More PC FINAL FANTASY
2. Re: Square Enix on More PC FINAL FANTASY Feb 20, 2014, 09:53 Pigeon

I'm more interested in a remake of VI and to a lesser extent V. Classic style FF gameplay, with a good story and updated graphics. Yes please.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 20, 2014, 09:01 Pigeon

No Phil, I think that was the right decision, at least for everyone else. Now there's a good chance the game will actually run in 1080p.  

News Comments > Reminder: Diablo III Auctions End Next Month
28. Re: Reminder: Diablo III Auctions End Next Month Feb 19, 2014, 17:05 Pigeon

Xero wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 16:11:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 16:07:
Am I losing my mind, or didn't WoW have a trading mechanism where you put the items in and then each side has an opportunity to approve the trade? Borrow some code from across the hall? (Yes, I realize it isn't quite that easy... but the point is valid)

WoW actually has it done right because there is no real money involved outside of your monthly prescription. Blizzard wanted some kind of income out of D3 since they only made money off the initial game sale and that was the end of it.
At this point if they are smart they will incorporate WoW style auction house and leave it at that. No real money required!

I think even a RMAH could possibly be viable, we just can't trust Blizzard not to screw-up the gameplay for profit. Its like telling a dog not to eat the bacon you've dropped on the floor. They just can't help themselves.

News Comments > New NFS Rivals Cars
4. Re: New NFS Rivals Cars Feb 19, 2014, 15:20 Pigeon

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 13:03:
I wonder how profitable it is for EA to make these NFS games.
Maybe these sell well on the consoles I am not sure but there seem to be a new one every year and aside from the graphics being upped a bit I don't find a single reason to play them.
I saw the WTF vid TotalBiscuit did on this and it was enough to steer clear of this game.
Hot Pursuit was trying to capitalize on the same idea as this game anyways, Most Wanted was the last good NFS games I remember playing.
These newer ones suck!

Just watched the total biscuit video, holy hell that game is terrible. What's so hard about making a racing game with real cars and fun tracks? And it doesn't need a plot, its a racing. Want a game where you can roll play as a thug, buy GTA.

News Comments > Reminder: Diablo III Auctions End Next Month
17. Re: Reminder: Diablo III Auctions End Next Month Feb 19, 2014, 14:16 Pigeon

The bad idea was designing loot and drop rates to make using the AH a more attractive option. The AH in WoW works just fine without breaking the game, but then Blizzard wasn't trying to make money off it.

I'm sure we'll never know for sure, but I wonder how much of the game designed around making the RMAH as profitable as possible. To me the boring loot and bad drop rates was one area, but I wonder if the easy to reach level cap and the no skill/stat investments weren't part of that as well. After all those decisions made gear almost the only thing to effect your characters performance. Good skill combos are helpful, but if you're hitting like a wet noodle because you can't find any good gear, that doesn't really matter either.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2014, 09:36 Pigeon

The debate is really about who pays for — and who profits from — the increasingly elaborate infrastructure required to make the internet do something it was never designed to do in the first place: stream high-speed video.

The consumer pays for it and the broadband and content providers profit from it. There that was easy. I also assume the content providers are paying for some sort of connection/hosting as well. It sounds like broadband companies want an ever increasing revenue without having to invest in infrastructure, and who wouldn't, but that's just not a possibility.

1201 Comments. 61 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo