Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 976 (Graduate)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 19, 2013, 09:57 Pigeon

The first part of the article says a deputy and the second says deputies; consistency would be nice. Regardless, the Sheriff in question sounds like a grade A ass. And who was the knuckle dragging troglodyte of a lower court judge that deemed expressing a political opinion as not protected by free speech? The Sheriff's brother?

And people at work wonder why I'm so evasive when they ask me if I'm on facebook.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 18, 2013, 13:21 Pigeon

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 11:14:
24%? Well if true, it isn't surprising, it becomes an addiction. I remember when I downloaded a DVD Ripper years ago. I started ripping and making backups. Did that with VCR as well... I'd have these huge libraries and viewed maybe 1-2% of what I backed up. I finally saw the pattern and stopped it, was a waste of time and money.

Same for those that used to buy a shitload of DVD's before the crash. Times got tight, they stopped buying 4 DVD's each Tuesday to save and then realized they watch very little of what they even bought.

Perhaps sort of like Steam Sales....

Those pirates I bet a lot of them touch very little of what they download.

Before torrents there was something called hotwire, or something like that, and people would just trade pirated material like it was some commodities market. Essentially trading for sake of having it or so it could be used to trade for something they actually wanted. It was an odd system full of server tyrants.

More back on topic, I guess I'm always suspicious of paid for studies. It's not that I don't think piracy is a problem, it's more fearing that companies like NBC Universal will try to use inflated data to lobby for laws or standards that make getting shows and movies we want to watch, in a manner we want to watch, much harder to do legally.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 18, 2013, 10:47 Pigeon

'Infringing use of bittorent', I'd like to see what they call infringing use. Corporations, and most people tend to have very different views of what constitutes infringement.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2013, 13:20 Pigeon

Verno wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 12:41:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 11:42:
Voyager has left the solar system.... so how long until the Borg invade?

Well you jest but Stephen Hawking has a pretty compelling argument for not attempting any contact with other life outside of our galaxy. Basically that any civilization sufficiently developed to both parse it and then actually travel to us would be well beyond our capabilities and might covet our resources so it probably isn't a good idea to advertise. He also pointed out that the resources that go into it aren't exactly misspent but might be better allocated toward efforts to spread humanity to other planets as he believes it's the only way to ensure our long term survival.

Anyways I don't agree with everything he says but I do think that anything capable of sustaining life is probably so far away that efforts to reach it would take thousands of years with current technologies.

Hawking wrote that after a marathon of Independence Day, Signs, and V. Not that he doesn't make a valid argument, the take away point is we have no idea of the consequences of contacting another species, specifically one that would be capable to traversing the vast distances of space to get here. The best point he makes is that we should be more actively trying to colonize other planets, but that's long term thinking, and as a whole species we tend to have a fuckit, attitude when it comes to preparing for the long term.

News Comments > WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst
30. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 17:05 Pigeon

Quinn wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 16:33:
MattyC wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 14:22:
Quinn wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 12:43:
But it could've lasted for a whole while longer if they didn't go in the direction of fat-fuck pandas and beer elementals...

I am guessing you didn't actually play MoP. It was easily the best WoW expansion since TBC.

It all bottles down to opinions. Considering the statistics of today, I don't think I'm in the minority with how I felt about the expansion. Of course it also had allot to do with the simplification of the gameplay. And yes, I've played the expansion. Maybe the game got better further in but the pandas and beer elementals and rolling beer kegs failed to keep me hanging on.

Imo, the best WoW was a year or so after vanilla.. and then WotLK.

*sigh* this or that, gotta thank Blizz for the joy they gave me. Some ppl look back at their youth and think of crazy nights, great one-night-stands and an awesome real life social life. I look back at my (very late) youth with a content warm smile and see Karazhan, PvP at Zoram Strand, Dark Shore, Molton Core and great laughs with fantastic people all over Europe. <3

I don't think the expansion was bad per-say, I think I just got tired after 7ish years of playing. The move to further remove the player from build decisions and gearing didn't help. Sure cookie cutter builds were always pretty common, but instead of working to provide more viable balanced options they went in the opposite direction and made player build choices have very little effect on how the character would be played. Yeah it makes it easier to balance for both PvE and PvP, but IMO it makes it more boring.

News Comments > WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst
6. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 11:59 Pigeon

Game play just felt way too regimented. Set builds, set gear and set rotations, it gets boring.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 11, 2013, 09:09 Pigeon

Google has apologized for the snooping, which it says took place between 2008 and March 2010. It promised to stop collecting the data and said the practice, conducted in more than 30 countries, was inadvertent but not illegal.

How can you inadvertently collect wifi data? Unsecured or not I would think it would take some amount of purposeful effort to collect the data.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2013, 11:06 Pigeon

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:27:
Clear case of Tampa Bay losing the game, not the Jets winning it. However, in the end -- "look at the scoreboard."

Hitting a player who is stepping out of bounds when all the other team needs is a few yards to get into comfortable field goal range is always a good choice.

Speaking of giving games away, the giants and 6 turns-overs = cowboy's victory.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 7, 2013, 10:37 Pigeon

The only thing that's keeping me from being completely overcome by a wave of jealousy regarding that EMU cabinet is the positioning of the screen. It looks like you'd have to stand play it, or find some bar stools, neither of which sounds like a comfortable option. Still very cool though, and all those controllers mmmm.  

News Comments > Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be "Complicated" (By Activision?)
12. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 11:19 Pigeon

Malachii wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 10:55:
And no, I do not believe drops were "tuned" for AH.(prove me wrong.. PROOF , not conjecture or twisting words) We can get into the specifics of the item system being busted, but we've done that a million times already. Point is, the chances of an item dropping that beats what you have by the time you are para 100 is probably worse than lottery odds...So the AH fills this void nicely as well.
D2 players would buy/sell/trade all the time at this point, still not sure why the disdain? cause of the RMAH? If it was just gold would you all be LESS butthurt?

All you have is conjecture too. The only people that know for certain are Blizzard and Activision and some how I doubt they are going to release the details of all the planning that went into the game. We can still come to a reasonable explanation as to why things are the way they are based on their actions.

And assuming acti/bliz's cut from the RMAH was a reason behind the terrible drops, they wouldn't have as much of a reason to alter drops for a gold only AH. Frankly I wouldn't care if both of them disappeared.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 5, 2013, 14:18 Pigeon

nin wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 10:46:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 10:42:
Apple's DRM might not be a monopoly, but it's enough to keep me from giving them a single penny.

Hit the BatCutter Signal!

I've bought a few songs from them and had varying degrees of success using them on non-apple devices, or non-apple players. I %^&$(* hate iTunes UI and pretty much everything about it.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2013, 15:48 Pigeon

sauron wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 15:41:
Prez wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 12:26:
Verno wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 10:42:
Got my picks in, toot toot. I hope you all bet on the Jets!

Even a Jets fan wouldn't bet on the Jets if they wanted to win.

Free gift at every Jets home game this year is an official paper bag with eyeholes.

In other news, FFXIV sold 185,000 copies in Japan alone its first week of release. They just had to double server capacity. It's doing pretty well: News

I was thinking of giving it a try once they have the capacity issues sorted out aka, digital sales re-enabled. Sounds like it could be fun for a bit.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 4, 2013, 13:41 Pigeon

El Pit wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 13:19:
Except that this attack would be totally stupid. They're mostly all bad guys in this civil war. Defeat Assad, and the islamists (Taliban, Al Quaeda, and other nutjobs) take over. They're already fighting the FSA, i.e. the rebels that started it all. A military strike would help NOBODY. This is not a good guys vs. bad guy conflict, best to stay out of this.

I believe the idea is that they broke with the Geneva Protocol, and if you don't enforce it, it's useless. The problem in Syria is that both sides are supposedly using it so any strike against one side or the other is just an excuse to give the other side a helping hand. Are these strikes supposed to take out production, storage facilities or delivery means? So far it just sounds like an excuse to attack the Syrian government without specifically addressing the actual problem.

News Comments > Diablo III Patch to "Cut the Legs Out from the Auction House"
19. Re: Diablo III Patch to Aug 30, 2013, 08:51 Pigeon

Thatís not what we intend, and we do want to address that

Yeah it really was what was intended. I agree that the boring loot and stat system is the core problem with the game, but the awful drops and almost forced reliance on the AH was the bigger insult. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the boring stats and character building were designed to make the AH more attractive. If you could potentially use a wider range of stats, more of the drops would be usable.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 11:57 Pigeon

My computer is going on 5+ years with only a video-card upgrade a year ago, and some added ram. I built it as an $800 PC and I'm pretty pleased with how well its held up. Even the card I upgrade to was a budget card so that was a decent bump in performance with little investment.

I imagine the next time I find a need to increase performance it'll probably be another full build. Not sure I'd be able to salvage much except for the hard-drives.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 10:16 Pigeon

I think Balmer's problem wasn't that Vista was terrible at launch, but more that they wasted a lot of development, time, and money on Longhorn, only to scrap most of it for Vista. Frankly I think win-8 is a bigger failure, Vista was eventually patched into functional and stable OS. Mean while 8 still seems to be insistent on forcing desktop users to use a GUI more suited to smartphones, tablets, and other touch-screens.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 25, 2013, 18:21 Pigeon

DangerDog wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 17:14:
I still can't see the problems that Microsoft has being the result of just one person. Everyone loves a scape goat though.

I'm sure he bears his share of responsibility. IMO Microsoft's biggest problem is their echo chamber corporate culture. Its like nobody is aloud to criticize ideas, because it doesn't grow the brand. Unfortunately for Microsoft criticism helps pave the way to innovation.

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced
27. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 11:11 Pigeon

InBlack wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 10:58:
Xero wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 10:29:
Blizzard's catering to a younger crowd these days. I think they let WoW go to their head and unfortunately the beloved more mature Diablo is long gone. What we have now is a WoW in a darker universe that doesn't try to be unforgiving. I agree, the cinematics are always nice and clean, but the writing and dialogue, especially the in-game cinematics are atrociously bad.

This. Blizzard seems to have forgotten that Diablo was a Horror experience first and foremost. I would have forgiven all of D3's faults had they kept the atmosphere of the original games. D3's story isnt bad per se, its just told with so much handholding and without even a hint of mystery that it loses most of its charm a few minutes into the storyline.

Dont even get me started on the skill trees and character progression. Again. Dont. Feels like a goddamn WoW expansion blurb, YEAH FOR 10 MORE LEVELS!!!!! Fuck you Blizzard.

Blizzard's solution to cookie cutter builds was to hand people a box of animal crackers.

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced
13. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 09:32 Pigeon

I still find their insistence they had no idea how damaging the Auction Houses would be ridiculous. The loot system was tuned to make using the AH extremely advantageous. So was the stats system as there was really only 1 primary stat you needed to worry about, with only 1-2 secondary stats like crit or regen. Oh and magic find, since without it you're chances of actually getting something you want go from crap to nil.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2013, 15:40 Pigeon

I've always thought sriracha was over-rated, something in the taste, an odd sweetness that never seemed to fit. Now Cholula and omelets = awesomeness, add a nice cup of coffee and I'm in heaven.  

976 Comments. 49 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo