Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1133 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 28, 2014, 10:00 Pigeon

Guess they have to do something to try and narrow that performance gap. Not that I think the additional 8% is going to help a lot.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 28, 2014, 09:51 Pigeon

I can't believe this guy even tried to enter the law profession after all he did. Doesn't he know they have professional standards? They can't let in liars and cheats who get caught so easily.  

News Comments > Leaked Source 2 Screenshot?
20. Re: Leaked Source 2 Screenshot? Jan 28, 2014, 08:42 Pigeon

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 23:27:
Quboid wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 22:17:
Source has evolved but the last few Source engine games I've played stick out due to their dated graphics and interface. It's a solid, fast, and reliable engine and some really good games such as The Stanley Parable use it to good effect, but it doesn't look as pretty or feel as modern as games like Crysis 3 - which isn't entirely a bad thing, Source's dated menu is a lot nicer than Crysis's nonsense.

Maybe it would be nicer if it was used in a big budget game but I can't remember the last time such a game used the Source engine. Perhaps that says it all.

Titanfall is using Source. They've said they will consider opening it up for modding... They should just put it on the Workshop and allow for custom maps and such, that will make it a big hit on PC.

If they were smart they would. I can see that being a big selling point for a lot of people.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 28, 2014, 08:23 Pigeon

Fantaz wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 01:51:
the NSA invented Angry Birds!

Anyone who beats the NSA's high score gets put on the terror watch list.

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2014, 14:26 Pigeon

Beamer wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 11:00:
Nintendo handhelds are clearly a dying prospect, though. While they absolutely have the best games right now (that new Zelda looks incredible), if you walk through an airport you'll see 10 kids playing on a tablet or phone for each 1 kid playing a 3DS. Which makes sense - a parent can give a child their old device and put on a bunch of free or $0.99 games and be done with it, rather than the more expensive 3DS and quite expensive games.

And, while I'm sure plenty of adults play the 3DS, outside of Nintendo ads featuring 5 mixed-race mixed-gender 20 somethings in one room, I've never seen an adult play one.

Plus, many of those kids aren't gaming on their parents' device, but watching YouTube videos or cartoons.

Honestly, if I'm Nintendo I would consider making a Kindle. Google and Apple would never split profits, but Amazon would probably be willing to go 50/50 on app sales. You make the device run the forked version of Android and give it access to a decent store that, with Nintendo's help, will become a great kids store. But the device also runs its own cartridges, which is the only way to play Nintendo games. It'd be rough and durable, unlike most hand-me-downs kids get, and it would have the best functionality of both the 3DS and those hand-me-downs. And it'd still be great for adults.

Something to consider.

IMO all the console makers (and PC) need to take a hard look at their game pricing. $40 for handheld and $60 for console isn't going to be a successful model in the nearish future. I think handhelds are still a viable market though; a good design and fun games go a long way.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 27, 2014, 08:41 Pigeon

Julio wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 13:38:
Pankin wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 12:29:
Mr. fucking Macintosh? And you thought Clippy was annoying. What a terrible idea.

They should bring back Clippy for Windows 9

It looks like you're trying to open a program from the start menu, let me send you to metro.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2014, 15:29 Pigeon

Hoop wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 14:34:
Do you cork or screw where you are?

I generally wait till the second date and then let it be a surprise.

I mostly see synthetic corks when I buy wine. Don't think I've ever seen a screw top; maybe a few spigots for the boxed variety.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
11. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 23, 2014, 13:03 Pigeon

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 12:37:
Yep, Sneak in the vanilla game is super OP at the higher levels. You run around silently and as long as you're crouched they won't see you unless you're lit up like the sun and standing two feet away from them. Then you can just go hide in a dark spot after they spotted you and they instantly de-aggro. What this means is you can ALWAYS hit for 6x arrow or 12x melee damage, or whatever the multipliers were.

And then one of the most popular mods of all time has you trading dragon souls for perks? WTF people you're a god as it is, you want to trivialize everything even further by having every single super power? At least there was supposed to eventually be a limit to how many of those you could unlock, forcing you to make some kind of choices as to how you wanted to build your character.

Assuming this was something patched out or fixed in the DLCs/addons? Cause I have a sneaky bow assassin type character, and while the sneak attacks were pretty devastating, I certainly wasn't killing dragons with one shot. Plus dragons were difficult to hide from.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 23, 2014, 09:12 Pigeon

nin wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 19:40:
Think the most I ever paid for a video card was either $400 or $500. And even though it was a screamer, I still had slight buyers remorse for spending that much...

I tend to spend under $150 and that generally serves my needs. My current machine is probably 6 years old, so a new build is somewhere on the horizon, maybe I'll be able to convince myself to shell out more for a better card.

13. Re: HDDs Jan 22, 2014, 11:39 Pigeon

Dev wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 09:38:
Pigeon wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 08:38:
How do you get a 120% failure rate o_O ? Are they using some kind of multidimensional measurement where the drives are even failing in realities where they're not supposed to? If so that's a pretty crappy hard-drive, but it'd be invaluable to scientific research.
Presumably they get a drive, warranty replace it, and it fails yet again.
So in other words, out of 100 drives, they have to replace drives 120 separate times, many are refurbished warranty replacements that fail yet again.
Jivaro wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 03:46:
Alienware = Dell, so yeah..overpriced crap.
They were overpriced even before dell

Well that certainly makes more sense. Though I still like the idea that they're so terrible they're failing in all alternate realities.

8. Re: HDDs Jan 22, 2014, 08:38 Pigeon

Blue wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 08:13:
Ant wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 05:49:
Seagate drives = firmware nightmares. Never buy seagate drives.
Buy what brand then?

According to the same article, Hitachi.

Annual failure rates are all over the map ranging from as low as 0.9% to as high as 25.4% - and one drive hit 120%.

How do you get a 120% failure rate o_O ? Are they using some kind of multidimensional measurement where the drives are even failing in realities where they're not supposed to? If so that's a pretty crappy hard-drive, but it'd be invaluable to scientific research.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jan 21, 2014, 11:57 Pigeon

If just half of the players who buy the game during a 50%-off sale would have bought the game at full price if that was their only option, we'd already have a wash. What fraction of sale-waiting players fall into this category? I suspect way more than half. The picture gets even worse for 75%-off sales.

And I suspect way less than half. I don't think its so much a matter of, 'if I only wait a few weeks I can get it for %50 less', and more a matter of buying at a perceived fair/good value. I see games that looks fun frequently, but they're not worth $60 to me. Its not even a matter of a game budget, i.e. I only have $60 to spend on games. I think people are more likely to buy 4 games for $30 each than 1 for $60.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 21, 2014, 11:26 Pigeon

DOOoooOoOOOOoooooOOOoomed!!!

I'll be worried if they keep making missteps, but the Wii U alone isn't going to tank the company.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 20, 2014, 10:16 Pigeon

Unlike Cyan in regular printers that Hershey bar printer will never run out of the vomit taste cartridge.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2014, 09:01 Pigeon

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 23:02:
Creston wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 23:00:
Cutter wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 21:57:
Wtf was with Sherman's remarks at the end?

It looked like after the final interception he gave Crabtree a friendly pat on the ass to say "hey man, good game" or something like that, and Crabtree shoved him right in the face. So I'm guessing he was pissed at that.

Should be an interesting Superbowl.

Actually he did the choke motion. He is a turd and Manning is going to fuck him up.

I think the butt pat and face shove happened first, so that could have set Sherman off. Of course Sherman could have easily been talking shit during the butt pat as well. We'll probably never know.

It was a great game, but Kaepernick got greedy on a good drive and tried to throw it into the end-zone in tight coverage. Two time-outs and 40 seconds on the clock is an eternity in football.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 18, 2014, 13:52 Pigeon

Step 1: Buy a $50 PC from 1999
Step 2: Install
Step 3: Enjoy

News Comments > WoW to Add Level-up Purchases
26. Re: WoW to Add Level-up Purchases Jan 17, 2014, 13:13 Pigeon

InBlack wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 11:02:
There are definitely games out there that are enjoyable from level 1 onwards. WoW is definitely NOT one of those games. I (un)subbed from Vanilla WoW ages ago after my n-th *insert creature here* pelt piece of quest...

They actually revamped a lot of the low level questing so there's a constant storyline thread. I found it more enjoyable than vanilla's leveling, but the vast majority of the population is at end game. You don't really get the 'mo' experience of an MMORPG until you've hit max level.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 17, 2014, 13:02 Pigeon

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 12:07:
Bastards charge us $2+ for a transaction and they can't keep their equipment updated. You know the fee's will go up when they a forced to upgrade as if our fee's paid for no upkeep whatsoever.

If only they called them additional profit fees, instead of service fees we wouldn't have the expectation that they actual maintain and update their machines.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 17, 2014, 12:57 Pigeon

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 11:55:
I one could stream HBO and ESPN al a carte, sell your cable/sat stocks now! That plus rabbit ears for local HD and optional Netflix, you'd be done.

Rabbit ears and Netflix is what I do. I've got better things to spend my money on than 200 channels of crap and commercials. When I had cable I noticed I only watched a handful of shows.

Paranoid Jack wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 10:14:
Pigeon wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 09:59:
Do you still need a cable provider and package to get HBO Go? Yes, then who cares. Start selling it as a separate service and you'll have my interest.

I subscribed to HBO just to see Season 3 of Game of Thrones on HBO Go. So I agree there is a huge untapped audience there. The channel goes for what, $16 per month? And, yes, I realize I can download a 50mb app that will allow me to watch Game of Thrones and loads of other pirated programs all free. But I don't pirate!

I think they could get away with charging $5 or maybe $8 a month for access to Go and people would be happy to pay it for a couple months. Or until they get caught up on Boardwalk Empire and Thrones.... maybe a couple other. They could ape Netflix with no problems. Win win as I see it.

I would certainly subscribe if they offered a standalone netflix like service. Game of Thrones sounds exactly like the kind of show I would like, but I'm sure as hell not going to pay for cable, and then additional cable packages to just to see one show.

1. Re: HBO Jan 17, 2014, 09:59 Pigeon

Do you still need a cable provider and package to get HBO Go? Yes, then who cares. Start selling it as a separate service and you'll have my interest.  

1133 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo