Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1295 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 22, 2014, 17:19 Pigeon

He sure showed them....  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed May 22, 2014, 13:44 Pigeon

Beamer wrote on May 22, 2014, 13:23:
I'm going to bow out, as no one really cares what I have to say, I'll just continue to point out how weird I find it that people get so defensive when an improvement is brought up that involves something not exactly what they are.

Just ask yourselves if something is an improvement. You don't need to be defensive. Just ask yourself if things can be improved. If yes, why do you get so angry when people suggest these improvements?

No where in the original two comments did we say Nintendo shouldn't make characters of more diverse skin pigmentation. We were pointing out that it was our own racial and culture background that makes us assume these characters are white.

I'm all for more diversity in games, so long as its done tastefully and not some shoe-horned stereo type. Does Nintendo have a diversity problem? I guess, but then they have more Koopas than actual humans. They've essentially been reusing the same characters/IPs since the 1980s. Their inability to create new ideas and characters seems a lot more endemic than their failure to create diversity amongst the cast.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 22, 2014, 09:52 Pigeon

Zip and it's big brother Jazz, disks were awesome for the time. There really wasn't anything better at the time. I'm not sure what they were talking about with all the issues and low adoption rates, as that was never my experience. CD writers may have replaced their usefulness as backup devices, but not as a portable storage medium. USB key drives are what really killed ZIP.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2014, 11:20.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed May 22, 2014, 09:37 Pigeon

InBlack wrote on May 22, 2014, 09:20:
Id call them cartoon manga characters. They are not Black, Asian, White or anything. They are in a category of their own which has nothing to do with race. Typical op-ed piece where a non-issue is turned into an issue, just because. Race.

The writer even points to an article about this issue, but completely gets it wrong as though they didn't read the article they cited.
Then there are also questions about what "whiteness" in Japanese animation and gaming really reflects; the short of it is, Japanese viewers tend to identify with characters that appear white (pronounced eyes, blonde hair, etc.), but in the case of Nintendo characters, at least the color has been consistent, with few-to-no cultural overtones to clarify its application.
The article points out that we (various cultures of European descent) see many anime characters as white because that's what we assume when we don't see things that appear, to us,to be obvious ethnic identifiers. When Japanese draw characters that are supposed to be white they add things like larger noses and bigger chins to identify them as such. Blue hair and blue eyes, while characteristics oh some whites, are more a way of setting characters apart than identifying them as a nationality. Pink hair, and purple eyes are also fairly common traits in anime characters and no nationality has those features naturally.

So yeah a stupid article made even dumber by the fact they point to an article that explains why this is, and then promptly ignore most of said article.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Transistor
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Transistor May 20, 2014, 20:15 Pigeon

Rattlehead wrote on May 20, 2014, 20:04:
Has anyone tried this yet? I really liked Bastion, but $20 is high for a game with no demo.

I'll probably pick it up. I loved Bastion enough $20 for this game doesn't seem much of a risk. Some of the early reviews I saw said more of the same goodness; seamless narration story and music while being different enough from Bastion to have its own charm. Not a demo, but here's the sound track: http://kotaku.com/listen...

My real quesiton is should I get it on the PC or PS4

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 20, 2014, 09:57 Pigeon

InBlack wrote on May 20, 2014, 09:14:
A small caveat here. What happens to throttling with regards to the FCC ruling? Would throttling suddenly become illegal if the FCC was to pass these new rules??
When you think about it this way, suddenly things come in to focus a little bit. Right now no one is preventing your ISP from throttling your connection. With SOME kind of regulation in place this kind of shit would not be happening. So on SOME levels the FCC ruling makes sense...

From what I understand throttling would be illegal, but I don't know what their definition of throttling is. Since fast lanes would be legal this would give ISPs a good incentive to find ways to get content companies to pay for prioritized access. An exert from another story posted here several days ago:
...Thursday, Cogent Chief Executive Dave Schaeffer said Comcast has been "very clever" to avoid interfering with traffic on its own network by instead interfering with traffic before it enters its network. Ports -- or connections between Cogent's network and Comcast's -- became full when Cogent tried to deliver Netflix traffic Comcast customers were requesting, he said, adding that Comcast refused when Cogent and other backbone providers asked the company to upgrade...

So illegal yes, but the ability to enforce it would be extremely difficult. If you remove the ability to create fastlanes you remove most reasons to throttle traffic from content providers. But seeing as how Comcast is also a content provider they still some reason to throttle traffic.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 20, 2014, 08:48 Pigeon

Thanks Woz.  

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 19, 2014, 21:18 Pigeon

DangerDog wrote on May 19, 2014, 15:22:
J wrote on May 19, 2014, 11:50:
So, based on the law of Windows, this will be the good one right? I mean: good, flop, good, flop...

...What's the joke? I missed it whilst I was typing.

They're not giving up on trying to herd people into switching to "modern apps", being able to run them on the desktop in a real windowed environment does very little to appease me but I'm sure the drooling masses with make the switch just because it'll be so "easy" for them to get programs from Microsoft's app store.

If they go full retard and make the whole thing work mostly from the "cloud" then it'll be truly time to switch to one of the many flavors of Linux desktop distros.

Windows 9 will come out a few months after I finally break down and build a new computer using 8.1. That's how I got stuck with the bastard child Vista for my current OS. I noticed AMD can't even be assed to release new video drivers for it, when they've got 14.4 for everything but /rant

In all seriousness I don't have high hopes for win9. I haven't seen a lot of good decision making coming from Microsoft lately. If they still insist on forcing a mobile/touch screen UI on a desktop environment, people are going to treat it like the Frankenstein monster it is; i.e. go after it with pitch forks and torches.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization May 19, 2014, 10:12 Pigeon

QFT:
"Unless you’re shooting for a degree in Angry Birds, tablets are a horrible back-to-school purchase. You can’t write a 10-page research paper with an iPad".

In addition, also mentioned in the article, if you have to take notes more detailed than a few sentences you're going to want actual pen and paper. Though most of the article reads like an advertisement for OneNote, and Surface Pro. I had to laugh when a^2+b^2=c^2 was the example given for "complex drawn-out equations".

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2014, 09:51 Pigeon

nin wrote on May 19, 2014, 09:24:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 19, 2014, 09:21:
I'll believe they are releasing the original release of Star Wars on blu-ray when I have one in my possession and have watched it myself.

No kidding! And even then, it'll be a case of "ok, what did you change and not tell us?" (IE "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" at the end of Jedi, etc...)

The Hayden Christensen force ghost blasphemy is second only to Greedo shooting first.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 18, 2014, 11:04 Pigeon

But every once in a while, even a big company does a good thing for the right reasons."

But they didn't do it for the right reasons, they did it to ease the malnourished consciences of the politicians they paid off to allow the NBC merger. They needed something they could point to, no matter how meager, and say, 'SEE! We're not always completely evil.'

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 16, 2014, 09:07 Pigeon

Axis wrote on May 15, 2014, 22:31:
Most of you parrot "party lines" guys really don't get it. The Tea Party is the rebuilding of America - old hat stuffy bear republicans and parrot pete-repeat lies libs better get used to losing.

Ted Cruz (Tea Party) gives the FCC the middle finger

More than $1 trillion has already been invested in broadband infrastructure, which has led to an explosion of new content, applications, and Internet accessibility. Congress, not an unelected commission, should take the lead on modernizing our telecommunications laws. The FCC should not endanger future investments by stifling growth in the online sector, which remains a much-needed bright spot in our struggling economy."

Because a massive near country wide monopoly can be trusted to expand, innovate and create a healthy market environment that encourages others to do the same? It's asinine to think that they would, or to think any real competition could arise because of market demand. As Mr. Cruz points out there's already been a $1 trillion investment into the infrastructure, that's a pretty big roadblock for any company to overcome. Even a company as big as Google is having a hard time getting into the ISP business, they'll probably only deploy in the most lucrative markets and the other 90% of America will be SOL. Cruz's is delusional, it's like he thinks the free market is some kind of divine entity of goodness that is only prevented from creating an economic utopia because people meddle with it. News flash, it's only about people meddling with it, and what he wants is for only very specific people to be able to meddle with it, while everyone is is consigned to be a consumer slave.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse May 15, 2014, 14:20 Pigeon

People complain about the high cost of cable and poor quality of programing, and get told if they don't like it they don't have to have cable. So they drop their cable and the cable companies try to get them back, not by offering a better product at a better price, but by looking to punish their internet customers for using what they paid for. This is how business works when there's a monopoly and the regulators think the jesus invisible hand of the free market will fix everything.

I bet if people started reading books instead of watching TV, or using the internet Comcast would buy into the book industry and charge extra you for reading more than 3 books a week, when you've purchased 5.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue May 15, 2014, 10:07 Pigeon

nin wrote on May 15, 2014, 09:32:
TangledThorns wrote on May 15, 2014, 09:24:
Fast food workers on strike is the reason why staying in school and getting an education for a good paying career is important.

If every collage graduate could step into a well paying job based on their degree, that would be great. But it's not the case, at least here in America. People are struggling, and that means taking whatever job is available, even if it's wildly below what you studied for. People graduate with a shitload of debt (with the hopes of paying it off), only to find they can't get a job in what they studied for.

There's always going to be the bottom of the barrel, true. But school does not guarantee success.

A degree without related work experience is near useless. A lot of companies don't want to 'waste' time training a new employee and expect new hires to acclimate within a week's time. The old paradigm of a college degree = a decent job hasn't been accurate for at least the last 15 years. Maybe we have too many people going to universities and colleges, and a bachelors is the new high school diploma. Perhaps we should be putting more emphasis on trade schools. or training programs, but at the same time you're still going to need a higher education degree if you want to advance higher in your career.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse May 15, 2014, 08:49 Pigeon

Just waiting for Comcast to unveil its newest slogan:
'Comcast, because you don't have a choice'

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black May 14, 2014, 19:53 Pigeon

Kosumo wrote on May 14, 2014, 19:14:
Hero Cat!

That little boy is gonna be a cat fan for life.

I'd call that dog a pussy for attacking a defenseless child, but clearly that usage of the word needs to be reevaluated.

Also good example of why dogs should not be allowed to just roam freely. Technically cats shouldn't either, but they're not much of a danger to people, just small wild-life.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse May 14, 2014, 15:37 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on May 14, 2014, 13:28:
It's been shown in studies that trolls have psychopathic and sadistic tendencies. Since the Internet lets them practice this behavior anonymously, I'd say it's why they're so attracted to it as an outlet. "Maybe I'm just a bad person." Yes, yes you are.

Yeah there are a good number of people that are just straight out assholes. Anonymity may keep them from consequences, but I'd wager many of these trolls are insufferable in person too. Maybe they wouldn't go as far in person out of fear of personal retaliation, but I'm willing to bet they're still obnoxious.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
11. Re: Evening Consolidation May 13, 2014, 23:24 Pigeon

Years ago, Microsoft had a bold vision for the future of computing. It would be a tapestry composed of tiny squares. Each square would represent an app, a game, an experience of some sort, and you’d be able to just reach out and touch it. Or, if you already knew what you wanted, you’d be able to simply speak a name, and have the object of your desire materialize out of thin air — regardless of whether you were using a smartphone or lazing in front of a TV set.

That’s the vision Microsoft was building with Windows 8, with Windows Phone, and most intriguingly, with Xbox.

That vision is dead.

Sounds neat, except they completely failed to deliver a product that improved over methods that were already in-place and time tested. And then further failed to give any kind of software to demonstrate just how useful and wonderful their 'vision' was.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse May 12, 2014, 10:35 Pigeon

Net-neutrality advocates worry that Mr. Wheeler's approach may work while he remains in office, but a different commission could let enforcement wither.

After he leaves office? Riiigght.... They don't seem to be looking too deeply into the alleged shenanigans that the ISPs are already being accused of. The ISPs can't be trusted to not abuse the rules and the FCC can't be trusted to make judgements about what is 'unfair' prioritization, on a case by case basis. The conflicts of interest and the potential for abuse is just way too high.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 9, 2014, 14:00 Pigeon

Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 9, 2014, 13:00:
Next acquisition in Apple's strategy to bolster their line of overpriced fashion items, Monster Cable! They made the first Beats headphones after all.

But you neeeeed that gamma ray shielded, helium-argon encased triple platinum black five foot cable for $80, otherwise you won't get the best signal possible O_O

1295 Comments. 65 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo