Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1484 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 21, 2015, 19:16 Pigeon

Saboth wrote on Jun 21, 2015, 17:46:
Do these survival games ever come out of Early Access? Seems like there are umpteen number of them popping up every month, and they remain EA indefinitely. Yet people seem to flock to them.

Hopefully nobody ever makes an early access survival game, survival game and then puts it in early access; gamers' heads might implode.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jun 21, 2015, 18:03 Pigeon

Saboth wrote on Jun 21, 2015, 17:33:
I think I spent about $35 total, and about $10 of that was on GoG or Bundlestars, and $5 was on collectables and trading cards. I usually blow about $60-$80 on a good Steam Sale. It's a combination of owning a lot of games already, and many of the sales were merely 40-50% off. I also passed on a few deals because I figured if nothing better came along, I'd pick them up at the end of the sale, but during the "Finale", they didn't go back down to their daily or flash price.

I picked up 3 games and ended up spending ~$20. Like you I have a lot of backlog, so it was pretty easy to ignore items in my wishlist going on sale. There were a few games that were tempting, but I'd rather wait for a GOTY editions to come out.

News Comments > Free StarCraft II: Whispers of Oblivion Announced
4. Re: Free StarCraft II: Whispers of Oblivion Announced Jun 17, 2015, 10:05 Pigeon

Not a bad marketing strategy, give a little bit for free to ensure they pay for a lot more later. Somebody on their team must have had experience dealing in the past  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 16, 2015, 10:19 Pigeon

Hopefully theyíll add some extra bosses, dungeons and secrets. Iíve played 7 a few times so even with wonderful new visuals the appeal isnít as good as it could be. A hard-mode would be great, as the game is a breeze for veteran players.
Of course all that takes a back seat to my usual complaint of, WHY NO FF6(j) REMAKE?!?!!? My favorite of the series and it has gotten little attention except some crappy mobile port. Hell even FF3(j) got a remake.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 15, 2015, 11:38 Pigeon

walrus1 wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 10:42:
When I first went cordless Hulu provided a large part of my streaming TV. Then the ads got worse and the restrictions on shows started. I briefly looked into Plus but people told me not to bother as the ads are almost as bad as they are on free. It's not that people are confused about Plus as much as it just sucks. Of course regular Hulu sucks too.

The biggest boon for Hulu+ is access to more current TV shows. I assume they can do this because being an ad based they're a less scary
streaming service than something like netflix (well at least to the networks that own the shows.) The ads are shorter than regular tv, but repetitive. The biggest gripe I have is they tend to interfere with your ability to skip through as show. Still, it's better than paying for cable TV, at least for me.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 16:28 Pigeon

walrus1 wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 15:34:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 14:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 10:55:
That Corvette story is both awful and absurd, how the hell can you die inside a car that is just "locked" ? Sounds more like suicide.

Also the people trying to get him out don't break a window and rather let him die? WTF?

There was a similar incident Blue posted a while back. Know where your manual release is people.

Also, Cutter's right. Have a ResQMe on your keychain.

Not sure why no one broke the window. Hard for an old guy to get the right leverage in a small car like a 'vette. But everyone outside has got a crowbar or jack in their car that would go through the window pretty easily. It takes an hour or two to die of heat exhaustion, so there should have been plenty of time. Maybe they thought destroying a Corvette was the bigger tragedy? J/K. Poor guy.

I don't understand why there isn't a manual power lock tab on more cars like there were back in the 90s-00s. For example my first car a 97 Accord had a lock tab that you could pull up to manually disengage the power lock for that door and then open it like normal. As did my dads 2006 TSL as well as his 2000 S6. The Corvette seems to have a very confusing system.

I don't understand why people waited for the FD to break the windows. That's just baffling.

There are ones in the Mazda jdreyer linked. I have a very similar model the manual locks are right where you'd expect them to be. The vette manual door lock release is a little different, as there is only one on the floor next to the door of the driver's side. So while it's not hidden, it's not where you'd expect it to be.

5 minutes of time at a dealership to show people what to do if the keyfob stops working and the doors are locked would save a lot of heartache.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2015, 11:49 Pigeon

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 10:55:
That Corvette story is both awful and absurd, how the hell can you die inside a car that is just "locked" ? Sounds more like suicide.

Also the people trying to get him out don't break a window and rather let him die? WTF?

I doubt suicide, it just sounds like an unfortunate chain of stupidity. There is some kind of gawker effect that occurs with things like this, and common sense just goes out the window. Not only will people fail to do simple things to help, but they will prevent help by getting in the way.

If the manual release is the same as what I've seen in a video it is partially hidden; so in a panicky confused state the man may not have seen it. Dealerships should be required to thoroughly demonstrate such things upon sale of the car, it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes, and could potentially save a life.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 11, 2015, 08:54 Pigeon

First of all I'd like to see a ban on putting the word 'freedom' in anymore acts.

Secondly, my deeply red state generates more than half of the total revenue collected from access taxes and while I don't have my bill right in front of me, I'm pretty sure the individual burden is tens of dollars a year. Hardly something that's going have a noticeable change on anyone's budget, except the state collecting the tax.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 8, 2015, 11:29 Pigeon

Finally a new era in PC gaming! I was getting really tired of 'the era of grossly overstating the importance minor technical advances'.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2015, 14:16 Pigeon

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 13:27:
That Red Cross story is .. not funny. At this point you'd have to go so far as to call it what it is. A scam! A government supported scam.

"But the charity will not provide a list of specific programs it ran, how much they cost or what their expenses were."

Lmao, and these duds you want to donate money to? How is that even legal under non-profit rules?

It's not just the Red Cross, but charities in general seem to attract those who are the antithesis of charity; an open cash buffet for the greedy. With out greater transparency for non-profits, or something to hold them accountable, that will never change.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jun 5, 2015, 10:45 Pigeon

I'm not sure if I should applaud them for trying to do something new with a series that charges full price for what amounts to minor updates on a yearly basis, or pan them trying for trying to shoehorn a story mode into a sports game and using a famous director as if that's going to somehow make it less horrible.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2015, 10:05 Pigeon

Even counting loogies in your drink, Chili's is still better than Applebees. Though I wouldn't recommend going to either.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 3, 2015, 10:16 Pigeon

"This is seriously worrying for the sector: In an age where consumers can choose to bypass cable TV and fixed line internet altogether... and viewing them using their mobile data plans"

I agree with the sentiment expressed in most of this article, but equating mobile internet as true competition to a fixed connection is misleading IMO. Mobile plans are more expensive, slower, less reliable, and more limiting than than fixed connections. That's not exactly a scenario where you're going to see lots of people flock to only having a mobile plan. I'm sure it makes sense to people who are constantly on the go and on a budget, but if you care about internet connectivity at all mobile isn't going to cut it.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 2, 2015, 14:17 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 13:25:
Looks like Sony is readying a 1TB PlayStation 4.

Ooo, 1TB!

2007 called and wants its storage back.

If it were a solid state drive I'd be impressed

22. Re: big trouble with little doggie Jun 2, 2015, 13:28 Pigeon

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 09:06:
I jog all the time in my neighborhood, and there's always some dog with no leash that will come at me, friendly or otherwise. It's a hassle to stop and attempt to calm the dog down, and try to politely deal with the owner. Also pleasant are random dogs being let out of the house to go shit all over everybody elses' yards. You sound a lot more responsible with your dog than most Blue, so you probably just ran afoul of a guy pissed off at ALL the poorly controlled dogs in the neighborhood, and got all of that guy's saved up ire. :(

I jog around a dirt track at my apartment complex where the grassy bits also serve as a doggie restroom. Most of the people are pretty mindful about making sure their dogs aren't a nuisance to other people on the track, but there are a few that can't be bothered to pay attention. I've only had one incident where a friendly dog on a long leash got too excited someone was running by, and tried to jump on me. Frankly kids are more of a nuisance than the dogs are, as they have the ability to see you coming towards them, but not have the social acumen to think, 'Hey maybe I shouldn't block off the entire path with my bike.'

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 May 31, 2015, 14:32 Pigeon

Been enjoying GC-III. The tech-tree isn't as straight froward as the last game, but that's mostly a good thing. I think it helps to eliminate some of the rock, paper, scissors feel of combat. Colony management feels better too. The adjacency bonuses are nice as they make you plan the setup of colonies a little more. The special tiles seem to have an unfortunate tendency to provide tourism bonuses when there are like 1 or 2 tourism improvements further into the tech tree. Still seems to be a few areas where I think some small adjustments or additions would improve things but overall a great game.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2015, 14:15 Pigeon

Little surprised to see Chicago top the list. Not really a place I'd suspect as a mosquito haven. We've had a lot of flooding where I am, which as the temporary effect of lowering mosquito populations as it washes the eggs and larva away, but given 2 or 3 days without rain and there will be tons of stagnant pools and puddles for them to breed in. Also unfortunately there's enough of the population that treat their backyards as dumps for things like tires and old pots, and they don't dump the water out of those things after it rains.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2015, 15:16 Pigeon

Nothing like losing your shit over some turkey sausage. I've had a few frustrating experiences at restaurants but I've never yelled, screamed or even remotely raised my voice at the staff. I know a lot of people will behave like that because they're trying to bully others into getting their way, and/or they feel entitled to treat another person like crap because their order wasn't right. I find if you're understanding in those situations the staff are generally apologetic and will try to rectify the situations so long as you don't have unrealistic expectations.  

News Comments > WildStar Goes Free-to-Play
11. Re: WildStar Goes Free-to-Play May 28, 2015, 16:03 Pigeon

LittleMe wrote on May 28, 2015, 15:31:
Bill Borre wrote on May 28, 2015, 15:11:
Besides wow, are there any of these games that haven't adopted this model?

eso

I thought ESO went subscription free. Kind of a guild wars model where you buy the game, and then free access after that.

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2015, 13:10 Pigeon

Hopefully they did a better job of constructing the bridge than they did photo shopping the concept pictures. Some pretty dramatic looking geography though, I'd love to see what it actually looks like in person.  

1484 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo