Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1275 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
8. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 6, 2014, 21:22 Pigeon

Axis wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 20:17:
NKD wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 19:40:
Ebola panickers are fucking ignorant putzes on par with climate deniers and anti-vaxxers, but there's nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution a bit. It's not like thousands of Americans are being indefinitely detained.

Says the climate panickers...

Don't worry, Senator Inhofe will soon be chairing the Environmental and Public Works Committee. He's a man grounded in solid scientific, evidence based, theory:
“[T]he Genesis 8:22 that I use in there is that ‘as long as the earth remains there will be seed time and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, day and night.’ My point is, God’s still up there. The arrogance of people to think that we, human beings, would be able to change what He is doing in the climate is to me outrageous.”

I'm sure he's got some great ideas on dealing with Ebola as well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 6, 2014, 17:26 Pigeon

Beamer wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 14:39:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 13:10:
Beamer wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 11:46:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 11:30:
Beamer wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 11:00:
NKD wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 09:48:
That murderer guy turned himself in to police rather than suicide-by-cop as he originally planned, so he is in custody now. Though the "4chan link" stuff is overstating it a bit. 4chan is where the dude posted his sick pictures after the fact. As far as anyone can tell, there was no other involvement by anyone on 4chan.

The best part was when ol' Brianna Wu decided to go on Twitter and link this to Gamergate or hold it up as an example of how serious online threats are. Except there were no online threats. This guy did his threatening in the real world, had a history of domestic violence and threats against law enforcement, and killed his girlfriend who he lived with, not some random woman on the Internet.

Sick of the people in this world who do that kind of shit. Comparing your trivial online threats to the very serious problem of domestic violence, god damn. Shameless.

Yup.
Had he killed someone over an argument on 4chan, fine, but he killed someone then bragged on the most convenient place on the internet. The steps to how he killed and ended up on 4chan aren't the same as anything else being discussed.

The truth never stopped anyone from twisting a tragedy to meet their own agenda.

No offense, but you're the one doing that.

Briana, Zoe and Anita have had numerous 4chan threads discussing ways they should die. Don't you think this hits a little close to home for then? It doesn't make them right, but I'm certain they're honest in being concerned that a message board obsessed with killing them has a thread bragging about killing a woman.

But I won't let understanding where people come from stop your personal agenda.

What's my agenda? [/quote

Diminishing death threats, apparently.

My original point was that people will use tragedy to prove a point regardless of the facts involved. This was a case of domestic violence, it wasn't random, and it wasn't from some anonymous stranger on the internet. Perhaps there's a lesson in there about misogyny, I don't know if the guys motivations were ever stated or if he was just completely bat-shit insane and did it just because.

It's not that I don't understand where she's coming from, but as someone who has been a public face of the anti-GG movement (her not me), I think it's a poor comparison for her to have made. This was a domestic abuse situation, and the danger from someone who you know and/or live with threatening you is a lot higher and more immediate than some asshole on the internet. I'm not trying to diminish the terribleness of internet death threats, but I think it's disingenuous to artificially inflate the threat by pointing to a domestic abuse case and saying 'SEE I WAS RIGHT'. That kind of rhetoric is great for your supporters, but it drives away people who realize it wasn't a case of online harassment, and it further cuts-off meaningful dialogue with your detractors, because it is seen at an attempt to demonize them.

From reading the article what I did see from the supposed GG people was disbelief, they thought it was a hoax, and horror/disgust at the act and sympathy for the victims. I've not looked at 4 chan or reddit so I don't know if that's an accurate representation of the general population or not.

What particularly bothers me is I agree with her on a lot of basic points. Online threats aren't funny or harmless, women tend to get targeted online for harassment because of their gender, and there's a good deal of misogyny in games (though with some caveats on that last one).

I think what he takes exception to, and he can correct me if I'm wrong, is the same thing I take exception to. That is, comparing bullshit anonymous online trolling to the very real threat of domestic violence.

That's probably a way better explanation than all my rambling.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 6, 2014, 13:10 Pigeon

Beamer wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 11:46:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 11:30:
That murderer guy turned himself in to police rather than suicide-by-cop as he originally planned, so he is in custody now. Though the "4chan link" stuff is overstating it a bit. 4chan is where the dude posted his sick pictures after the fact. As far as anyone can tell, there was no other involvement by anyone on 4chan.

The best part was when ol' Brianna Wu decided to go on Twitter and link this to Gamergate or hold it up as an example of how serious online threats are. Except there were no online threats. This guy did his threatening in the real world, had a history of domestic violence and threats against law enforcement, and killed his girlfriend who he lived with, not some random woman on the Internet.

Sick of the people in this world who do that kind of shit. Comparing your trivial online threats to the very serious problem of domestic violence, god damn. Shameless.

Yup.
Had he killed someone over an argument on 4chan, fine, but he killed someone then bragged on the most convenient place on the internet. The steps to how he killed and ended up on 4chan aren't the same as anything else being discussed.

The truth never stopped anyone from twisting a tragedy to meet their own agenda.

No offense, but you're the one doing that.

Briana, Zoe and Anita have had numerous 4chan threads discussing ways they should die. Don't you think this hits a little close to home for then? It doesn't make them right, but I'm certain they're honest in being concerned that a message board obsessed with killing them has a thread bragging about killing a woman.

But I won't let understanding where people come from stop your personal agenda.

What's my agenda?

General Discussion > NFL Week 10
2. No subject Nov 6, 2014, 11:47 Pigeon

Week 9 was bad for me. I made a couple of upset picks that didn't work out and a couple of my 'safe' picks didn't work out either. Also WTF happened to the Chargers and the 49ers?  

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 6, 2014, 11:30 Pigeon

Yup.

News Comments > Fallout: Shadow of Boston TM a Hoax
20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2014, 09:04 Pigeon

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 06:46:
InBlack wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 05:35:

Bethesda's Fallout3 had mediocre writing at best. New Vegas improved on that a whole shitload, but its unrealistic to expect them to deliver something on par with Fallout2's phenomenal dialogue.
That would be because New Vegas was done by mainly the same people that did Fallout and Fallout 2, so no big shock that they did exactly that.

Hopefully New Vegas taught them a few things about difficulty scaling as well. While being some demigod in F3 was fun in its own way, NV did a much better job of making you feel vulnerable.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2014, 17:02 Pigeon

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 12:57:
Sony is still having issues with their firmware updates. Thought they've learned their lesson from the PS3 days.
I mean it is not like every single PS4 is different, how hard is it to test these dang things before they release it?

That's what I don't understand, these problems seem to be very wide spread how could they have missed it?

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2014, 12:50 Pigeon

nin wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 11:52:
CrimsonPaw wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 11:40:
Thank God for the 2.01 update, I've been having serious issues getting out of rest mode.

Some people are now claiming, from a powered down state, it's randomly turning itself on now.

Fantastic. I usually have mine turned off, I only use standby/rest if I know I'm going to be playing again soon.

News Comments > The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth Released
14. Re: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth Released Nov 5, 2014, 08:43 Pigeon

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 03:22:
Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 02:12:
Played, died 3x, deleted. Not my cup of tea.

One of the other PS+ games this month, Steamworld Dig, is holding my attention though. A mix of digging and metroid stuff. Pretty cool.

I bought Steamworld Dig on PC. Very good game. I think I played through to the end.....maybe just right at the end. Can't remember. I also downloaded it, plan on playing it on vita as well.

/damn, had a super sweet run going and messed up....was hard to come by HP.... roid rage, maggie, common cold, placenta, guppys paw - activate, contract "wealth but at what cost", daddy long legs (best passive in the game so far), ring worm, rotten meat, rotten baby, mysterious liquid.

//NOOOO!!! Died with literally one more hit on mom. Had a cool build, but no strength+ through the whole thing, tons of hearts, just took to long to kill bosses: prayer card, luck up pill, pinky eye, magic scab, started basement 2 and it said "curse of the maze" (HA! GENIUS!), placenta, stigmata, match book, 3 dollar bill, old bandage, ball of bandages, goat head, heart, my reflection.

Picked this up as part of PS+. Only played for a little bit, but it looks to be the same great fun the original was. Noticed there were new monsters and some kind of new gambling device (I'm assuming) that ate my coins with no perceivable reward.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 3, 2014, 11:48 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 10:56:
Of course the FCC gets it. You don't get into a position like Wheeler's by being stupid. They just don't care what the little people want.

And....

“The only problem is that I’m now afraid to use it. You would be too — if you read through the 46-page privacy policy,” Price wrote. “The amount of data this thing collects is staggering. It logs where, when, how, and for how long you use the TV. It sets tracking cookies and beacons designed to detect ‘when you have viewed particular content or a particular email message.’ It records ‘the apps you use, the websites you visit, and how you interact with content.’ It ignores ‘do-not-track’ requests as a considered matter of policy.”

On the other hand, this isn’t the first time a smart TV has been found capable of tracking your activities for advertising purposes, so buyers should always try to go through the privacy policies they agree to when using such a device, and try to limit tracking if and when possible.

Furthermore, the device has a built-in camera with facial recognition and a microphone with voice recognition features, both tools that hackers or spy agencies could use to spy on unsuspecting buyers, Price says.

Wow, seriously? Ok, no smart devices TVs for this guy, thanks. Jesus, how is that shite even legal?

I have a Samsung smart TV and the EULA is equally ridiculous, along with tracking they also lay claim to use any personal pictures or videos you might display. I just use mine to watch Netflix and other on demand video sites.

I'm pretty sure this kind of language is common on such multimedia devices, and you're right it should be legal. Or at least what they do should be explicitly stated in brief understandable language somewhere prior to purchasing the product.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 3, 2014, 11:38 Pigeon

Verno wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 11:10:
Agreed, self driving cars cannot come fast enough. I'll do my pleasure driving on the weekend, the rest of the time its just a stressful chore.

I just think how much better traffic would be if morons and assholes weren't out there fucking everything up for everyone else.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 3, 2014, 09:04 Pigeon

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 01:34:
Hell yeah! New red team card means the superior company can release their new chip as well. Been eagerly awaiting the 980ti or whatever the fuck it's gonna be called.

Thinking about building a new computer so this should drive the prices of older cards down. I've had ATi/AMD cards for about a decade, but I've been having a couple of driver support issues lately, and I'm tired of edit .ini files so I can get the latest drivers to install or wondering why certain features don't seem to work only to find out AMD broke them with a driver release and never bothered to fix it again.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Oct 31, 2014, 14:39 Pigeon

Julio wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 12:46:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 12:21:
Oh and then there these assholes. That's an editor of Mother Jones.

Have to say it makes me glad that they're on the anti-GG side. I'm glad they have Brianna Wu as well. Interesting article on her background and views.

More on Brianna Wu

I'm just waiting for Jack Thompson to rear his ugly disbarred head.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2014, 15:35 Pigeon

TV TV TV TV Tee... Oh wait never-mind, I seem to have been fired...  

24. Re: Tim Cook: Oct 30, 2014, 15:26 Pigeon

NKD wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 15:16:
Prez wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 15:03:
I get the symbolic nature of what he is doing but I wonder if there is more harm than good in doing it this way.

I think it's a process. When something has been treated like a dirty secret by so many people for so long, there's benefit in voluntarily and publicly stripping that secrecy away.

Yes, I think there is certain point you reach where pointing something out serves to highlight it in a negative way, and make it seem abnormal. But I don't think we're there yet for gay acceptance. You can't normalize something without first bringing it into the light of day.

Right, people fear the unfamiliar and what they don't understand, so the idea behind these kind of coming out articles is to build familiarity, and show they aren't so different from the rest of the world. I also think you're right when you say this kind of thing can become negative, usually when the media tries to sensationalize these things (which may happen yet in this case).

News Comments > X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com
89. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com Oct 30, 2014, 15:00 Pigeon

3D acceleration doesn't seem to work, at least for X-Wing, and I need to figure out where I can tell my video card not to stretch the image. I prefer black bars on the side to the stretched look.  

18. Re: Tim Cook: Oct 30, 2014, 13:57 Pigeon

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 13:20:
Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 12:50:
You don't think it's important, because you've never been gay...

You know my sexuality? We're friends? We hang out? You're part of my life? Kindly don't try to tell someone what their personal interests are or are not.

I don't think it's important because, quite frankly, it just isn't. This isn't 1954 and there is more social acceptance than ever. We have openly gay entertainers, political figures, business people, teachers, name any profession you wish...gay folk doing the job competently and adroitly as any other person with a differing sexual orientation. In the last three years alone, we've seen a massive shift in the amount of states that allow marriages between same sex couples and even the Supreme Court has been overturning state laws that are narrowly defining marriages or outright trying to ban same sex marriages. When DOMA was being shat out in 1996, then being gay was important. When it was ruled wildly unconstitutional last year, it shifted the political and social landscape to being about the equitable application of law to all people, not merely a select, approved class.

Outside of people who want to make it an issue, telling someone you're gay is about as shocking as telling them you like watching The Walking Dead.

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 12:50:
And if it's so unimportant to you, why are you the one posting about it the most?

Because I want Tim Cook to spend far more time continuing to make my portfolio wealthy, and innovating to make that portfolio even more wealthy, and less time writing fluff articles.

Now, do you plan to post something meaningful or continue on with this false dilemma chest thumping?

Yes a lot of progress has been made, but it sure didn't come about from people being quiet about the issue. So now that things are 'better' gay people should just shut-up and be thankful they aren't being sentenced to chemical castration anymore? There are still a large number of voting American's who, unlike you, feel homosexuality is abhorrent and do their best to deny homosexuals their rights and/or harass them when given a chance. It is important for people like Mr. Cook to show that homosexuals come from all walks of life and aren't just some stereotype.

As for him writing this instead of running Apple I would be inclined to agree with you if this weren't the only instance I know of where he has specifically addressed the issue. Now if he were writing articles about it every week, doing the talk show circuit and hosting rallies, I would agree with you.

General Discussion > NFL Week Nine
3. No subject Oct 30, 2014, 11:52 Pigeon

Last week was looking good for me until the evening and Monday night games. I didn't expect New Orleans or Pittsburgh to put up 44 and 51 points respectively. On the other hand I'm never shocked when the Cowboys fall flat on their face, they're kind of like the Bengals in that way.

Some though to call match-ups this week, I won't be surprised if this turns bad for me.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 30, 2014, 09:58 Pigeon

CrimsonPaw wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 09:44:
Pigeon wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 09:18:
Some more meh offerings for PS+, and the PS+ version of Drive Club now officially on hold.
This was my thought as well; granted every month can't have amazing titles but it would be nice to see another month like when we got Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite.

I figured with November being the PS4's release anniversary they'd offer something more exciting than two indie games. Oh well, maybe December, or not.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 30, 2014, 09:18 Pigeon

Some more meh offerings for PS+, and the PS+ version of Drive Club now officially on hold.  

1275 Comments. 64 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo