Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1685 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2015, 10:08 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Aug 18, 2015, 10:03:
90 degrees for 3 straight days. That's adorable.

I know right. We've recently gotten back down to the low 90s and it feels like a cool front compared to what we had before.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 15, 2015, 10:11 Pigeon

My motherboard came with one, it certainly wasn't a feature I cared about, and I have noticed no perceivable difference between it and the old plane-Jane NIC on my last motherboard. When the stand-alone Killer cards first came out years ago they (various tech reviewers) did tests and found no real difference. I think the only conclusion was that if you had other network tasks going on at the same time as gaming the bundled software would prioritize the game. Of course if you really cared about network performance during a game you wouldn't be torrenting 4 seasons of Game of Thrones while trying to snipe in Battlefield.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 13, 2015, 14:58 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 14:32:
Dying Light 2 may be too ambitious for PS4 & Xbox One.

Wow, so it hasn't even been two years yet, but next gen consoles are already becoming last gen.

It should be pretty clear by now that a console with a lower end midrange card is going to perform as such. There is a pretty low limit for how much "console magic" designers can squeeze from the systems to increase performance.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Apple's best features Aug 12, 2015, 11:52 Pigeon

I could certainly see this as more workable on OEM machines, specially laptops where hardware changes are unlikely over the span of the system's life. But there are too many problems with the DIY builds for this to be feasible. Chief among them would be legal concerns; it would be an antitrust lawsuit waiting to happen. I can imagine the uproar if MB's came with built in Windows installers. It would be a neat feature, but it's also pretty superfluous. He really overstates the difficulty of obtaining a Windows installer on a USB Key.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2015, 09:21 Pigeon

Punch a guy in the face over $600 and lose out on a 4 year 2 million dollar contract. If only IK had paid attention in economics class all of this could have been avoided. I'll be surprised if anyone picks this guy up. Nobody is going to want someone who broke a starting QB's jaw over $600, specially not someone with unimpressive stats like IK.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 11, 2015, 08:57 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 21:36:
Frags4Fun wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 20:47:
“They say SOPA, and hope the peasants cringe,” the filmmaker adds. “Thus, the EFF invests tremendous energy in this strategy, breathlessly warning us about the inevitable doom that will surely follow if, heaven-forbid, the rule of law might apply to trade across our precious tubes.”

So this David Newhoff guy thinks we're peasants. That's nice.

All that being said, make your shit available somewhere for a reasonable price, and this issue would be largely mitigated.

But it's easier to claim the theoretical loss of hundreds of millions due to piracy than it is to develop an effect marketing solution and risk finding out your product isn't nearly as desirable as you'd like to think. Case in point, Pixels would be an unmitigated success if only those filthy pirates wouldn't confuse the consumer by putting the word pixel all over the internet.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 10, 2015, 16:05 Pigeon

walrus1 wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 11:52:
This story shows everything wrong with U.S, copyright law and Vimeo. The fact that copyright law makes it so difficult to legally use copyrighted material and so easy to remove non-copyrighted material is all but unforgivable. Also vimeo is beyond stupid in how they handle uploads, searching, copyright and everything else they do. We need a YouTube competitor but Vimeo sure as hell isn't it.

I had the same thoughts reading this. There really needs to be some level of due diligence and it needs to start with the companies making these claims. IMO it's anti-competitive as well. If as a content creator they can get other individuals' or companies content taken down on such flimsy claims, it strikes me as an easily abusable system.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2015, 17:00 Pigeon

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 16:47:
BobBob wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 16:30:
My closest neighbor is over 80 years old, very civilized, and super quiet. She also has a pet cat. She was one of the major deciding factors on purchasing this place. "She's going to live forever. she's going to live forever, she's going to live forever." My daily chant.

How that line of thinking can work out happened to me. When I moved here super nice neighbor, 1 year later rental lord raised rent, neighbor had to leave.. and now in 5 years I had 3 different new neighbors, all somehow either totally batshit insane (1 neighbors first words to me where "I am going to sue you" upon which I had to laugh quite hard, which that women didn't find nearly as funny as I did..... up to a neighbor that turned stereo to max volume... on a normal work Monday, at 2AM (left year later, no doubt because literally ALL neighbors around complained about that, 3 called the police.. heh) and 3rd neighbor cut my carport roof plants (intentionally? who knows) so that my fantastic green carport roof is now a barren wasteland of impossible to remove fire hazards... I just leave it there and secretly hope it catches fire...

Argh.. no, neighbors that don't give as much as they take are nightmares, are real hell on earth. When you have a good neighbor though... you better hope they live there as long as you do...

The only thing good I can say about my newest downstairs neighbors is they vomit less than the old ones.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
17. Re: Saturday Previews Aug 9, 2015, 15:04 Pigeon

harlock wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 11:42:
Pigeon wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 11:23:
Damn close, if you define damn close as missed by a mile. With the exception of balancing weapons and engines this sounds way more like a StarFox game than an X-wing game. I mean power-ups really, wrong IP guys.

yeh, star wars is so fucking hard and real and gritty

Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes

My comment had nothing to do with claiming Star Wars is "fucking hard and real and gritty". I was pointing out it was way less like the X-wing series (which it was being compared to) and more like StarFox which included floating power-ups scattered through the maps, shield and thrust boosters, and special moves. People are complaining because they want something more consistent with the Star Wars universe than a generic space fighter game with Star Wars wall paper plastered on.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
14. Re: Saturday Previews Aug 9, 2015, 11:23 Pigeon

Damn close, if you define damn close as missed by a mile. With the exception of balancing weapons and engines this sounds way more like a StarFox game than an X-wing game. I mean power-ups really, wrong IP guys.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Aug 6, 2015, 19:37 Pigeon

Only place like that I worked was a grocery store, which never closed. It wasn't bad working late since there were comparatively few customers and I could wander around the store re-shelving the crap people decided they didn't want at the last minute. Only bad part was Midnight when they stopped selling alcohol. 5 minutes till and you'd get the nastiest mother fuckers coming screaming "WHERE THA FORTIES AT", and then be pissed when they got to the checkout at 12:00:01.  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 6, 2015, 11:48 Pigeon

After repeated delays and claims from big business that the math was too complicated

Too complicated or too inconvenient?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 4, 2015, 22:24 Pigeon

harlock wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 21:41:
that guy is running win10 on a laptop with serial ports

If I'm not mistaken there's a SCSI port too. That's just how good Windows 10 is. Not only does it break down the barriers of an archaic social convention by sharing your erotica collection with your loved ones, but it's spyhelperware can find legacy drivers for your 20 year old hardware.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 3, 2015, 15:19 Pigeon

"When Congress last year regrettably removed the requirement that cable company services be compatible with set-top boxes purchased in the marketplace rather than rented directly from the provider, we doomed consumers to being captive to cable company rental fees forever."

I wasn't even aware it was an option to buy a set-top box. I bought my cable modem, pretty sure it took less than 6 months for that to pay for itself in would be rental fees. The fees are pretty ridiculous when you consider you can buy a brand new modem twice a year for the same price.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
15. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 2, 2015, 17:00 Pigeon

Frijoles wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 16:51:
wtf_man wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 14:08:
Don't sign in with a microsoft account. Better yet... don't even create one.

I fucked up yesterday and did this. After creating a local account I wanted to check out this super-fast version of Minecraft for Windows 10. So I sign in to the store via my Live account to grab it. Step away from computer for a few minutes and it locks. Come back and it wants my Live account password to unlock the screen, which is a randomized 24 character string that I don't know (I copy/paste it from the vault). Motherfuck. Stupid thing switched from local account to online account. Ended up having to go in to work just to open my vault and get the password. Stupid fucking thing. Lesson learned though. Avoid the store at all costs.

I made that mistake when I was using 8.1, tried to check out the store, ended up making a M$ account and like you was swiftly punished for it. Maybe if their store wasn't like stepping into the Pulp Fiction pawn shop people would use it.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 14:54 Pigeon

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 13:48:
"I can't quite put my finger on why we stubbornly make this such a dramatic decision around here."

Lol, true.

I think we all have those kinda of self imposed principles. It always seems like a personal defeat when the reality of the situation trumps those principles. I usually don't notice mine till something throws a wrench into the works.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2015, 13:59 Pigeon

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 1, 2015, 12:57:
Rowdy Roddy Piper died? Damn, They Live is one of my favorite movies all time, and he was great in that. He was also pretty damned awesome in his few appearances on It's Always Sunny in Philaelphia... an underrated actor for sure. I have never been into pro wrestling but I always respected their athletic ability. It must be a ton of damage to the body though.

No doubt it's though on their bodies, from the physical punishment to the substances they used, I don't think we'll see too many living into old age. I'd suspect a lot of those guys from 1980's that inspired us to give our siblings concussions after an attempted take down from the top rope (aka the dresser) are going to start dropping off at a faster rate.

16. Re: Forcing Windows 10 update Jul 31, 2015, 16:37 Pigeon

ForgedReality wrote on Jul 31, 2015, 12:38:
Pigeon wrote on Jul 31, 2015, 10:24:
The tool they mentioned from Microsoft worked well for me, seems less hassle than the manual method. I also went the clean install route, which involved upgrading first, verifying that my key had been registered as "genuine", copying down the new key, and then doing the 'clean install from a USB method'. I did notice with the delete everything upgrade choice there were still some files in my base c:\, and I suspect some of the old win 8 drivers were reused. I didn't do anymore digging to see what, if anything else, was left behind.

So far so good, only issue I'm having is firefox crashing when I open a newtab (ctrl+t). If I change the behavior to display a blank page or my home page it works. If I start firefox in safe-mode (firefox's safe-mode) it works. Having addons installed doesn't seem to effect it either way. I'll try to suss out what's going on more later today. Any insights are welcome though.

Set your homepage to http://www.google.com

Turning off hardware acceleration seemed to fix the problem; I don't know why I didn't try that first, it seems to solve a lot of problems with Firefox... I actually like the frequently visited sites tab, slightly more convenient than using bookmarks.

5. Re: Forcing Windows 10 update Jul 31, 2015, 10:24 Pigeon

The tool they mentioned from Microsoft worked well for me, seems less hassle than the manual method. I also went the clean install route, which involved upgrading first, verifying that my key had been registered as "genuine", copying down the new key, and then doing the 'clean install from a USB method'. I did notice with the delete everything upgrade choice there were still some files in my base c:\, and I suspect some of the old win 8 drivers were reused. I didn't do anymore digging to see what, if anything else, was left behind.

So far so good, only issue I'm having is firefox crashing when I open a newtab (ctrl+t). If I change the behavior to display a blank page or my home page it works. If I start firefox in safe-mode (firefox's safe-mode) it works. Having addons installed doesn't seem to effect it either way. I'll try to suss out what's going on more later today. Any insights are welcome though.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2015, 13:29 Pigeon

Blue wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 09:57:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 09:52:
Looks like the clean install is still kinda messy.
I don't understand why is it so hard to put an option into the installation menu to do a clean install.

Agreed. MS used to be friendly to this, just requiring you insert the disks for qualifying products to do a clean install of an upgrade. I found this changed with Windows 7, however, as I was told by MS tech support that getting it to actually do a clean install from an upgrade disk was not possible. I was finally able to find a registry hack to allow this anyway, but it made me feel like a pirate just doing a clean install of an upgrade for which I paid. Not cool.

I was hoping for a better clean install option too. I'll still go through the process, but I won't be happy about it .

1685 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo