Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1171 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 6, 2014, 09:29 Pigeon

Symantec's business model is failing, not the need for anti-virus programs. They're still wanting $50 for a service you can get for free from many sources. Perhaps if they offered a basic free, or low cost edition they could reclaim more of the market.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse May 5, 2014, 20:52 Pigeon

It's okay guys, Wheeler said he'd stop these shenanigans with dispatch. I'm sure he'll be here any minute to stop those packets from being dropped.... annnny minute....*crickets*.....Hello?  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Find my iPhone May 5, 2014, 11:58 Pigeon

Creston wrote on May 5, 2014, 10:52:
The officer urged anyone whose phone is stolen to call the police

so they can shrug, make you fill out a form, and then do nothing about it. Even if the GPS tracking shows the thing to be a block away.

“Let police officers take care of it. We have backup, guns, radio, jackets — all that stuff civilians don’t have.”

and that we won't use to help you. But hey, at least we have it!

I do have to say, though, that going to confront the thief seems like a rather ballsy move. You can easily wind up in the hospital or worse, all for the sake of a phone? People's priorities are straight-up out of wack.

This was my first thought, cause a lot of times the cops don't do shit. But don't worry they'll be there next time you're speeding

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs May 5, 2014, 09:10 Pigeon

The best part about the VPPA article was reading about how the law came to be. The take away being if you want more privacy laws, an anti-privacy conservative needs their privacy violated. Want the NSA to go away, just find proof they have a record of every phone call Scalia has made.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2014, 14:24 Pigeon

Mr. Tact wrote on May 2, 2014, 13:40:
Yeah, I was puzzled by the Portland story too. I thought the exactly same thing you mentioned, I assume wildlife is pissing and pooping in the reservoir and that this is pre-treated water. So, what is the problem?

The problem is they're stupid and so are a good portion of the voters. If ever there was a good reason to discriminate against anyone, it would be based on a person's level of willful ignorance. If you believe stupid things that are easily disproved, your vote should only count for 1/4th of a 'regular' person.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 2, 2014, 09:05 Pigeon

Yup, that was an 'unpopular' opinion, you probably shouldn't have posted it on your twitter account. Specially when you're a Community Manager.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse May 1, 2014, 11:51 Pigeon

nin wrote on May 1, 2014, 09:13:
FCC chairman says there will be no Internet 'fast lane'.

Uh huh.

It's not a fast lane, it's a passing lane, so content providers that pay can pass slower moving content. What's so hard to understand about that.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse May 1, 2014, 08:39 Pigeon

Time Warner Cable: Google Fiber's No Better Than What We Offer, it's Way Better.

There fixed.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 30, 2014, 14:37 Pigeon

Verno wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 12:41:
Linksil wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 11:59:
This is a complaint I really don't get. Even playing games that seem to need to be played in a darker room(infamous on dusk levels), I've never had a problem with the light bar.

Depends on where/how you sit, if your TV is glossy or matte, etc.

My complaint is slightly more practical, I just think its a waste of battery power. Before someone says "but its LED!!!", the LED in that thing is so bright they put a heavy dimmer in front of it. I get far better battery life when I'm using the DS4 on the PC with the lightbar turned off as well.

It really doesn't bother me much, but I understand that it bothers some people. I also understand how it can be particularly annoying when its completely possible to turn it off, but they're refusing to give that option for unexplained reasons. I'd probably turn it off, as it only serves as a flashlight in dark rooms, otherwise its just a battery drain.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2014, 10:01 Pigeon

Something that harms competition is not commercially reasonable. For instance, degrading overall service so as to force consumers and content companies to a higher priced tier would be shut down....

...Wheeler also addressed peering agreements, like the ones in which Netflix has agreed to pay Verizon and Comcast for direct connections to their networks. Peering is "outside the scope" of his proposal, but "we will seek comment on this question in order to hear from those who may disagree with this suggested treatment of peering/traffic exchange."

Is he trying to use some kind of Jedi Mind trick? '*waves hand* This isn't the forced peering you're looking for'.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 30, 2014, 08:58 Pigeon

So they'll let you dim the light bar, but not let you turn it off? I swear some companies get so stubborn over the dumbest things. It'd probably some dumb plot to sell more recharging cradles. Still most of the updates look pretty good.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2014, 16:17 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 15:37:
BitWraith wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 13:55:
I dunno. 1-3 were pretty gawd-awful. Everyone on my Facebook feed are losing their crap over Harrison, Hamill and Fisher being in the new film. I know what they're visualizing, but that's not what they're going to get on film. These folks are old and way out of shape.

If it was my movie to make, I would do something completely different and recast everyone. I would pull a move like Abrams did with Star Trek and make my own movie. I know fans of the old series dislike the new Star Treks, but I really enjoy them on their own.

Yeah, that's my thought: no need to bring back the oldies, just make a new movie in that universe with new actors.

Just wait till Han goes to make that crucial jump to light-speed when suddenly his back gives out and he can't pull the lever.

I can only hope they have more supporting roles rather than Star Wars: Grumpier Old Men Episode VII

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 29, 2014, 10:31 Pigeon

What they fail to mention in the conclusion of the ram article is the decent improvements in load times. 4GBs is fine, but with ram so cheap might as well go 8GBs for another ~$30. I mean for game performance the order is GPU>CPU>SSD>RAM, but if you just want to shorten loading screens or smooth out area transitions (an MMO issue), on the cheap, more ram isn't a bad idea.  

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 29, 2014, 09:51 Pigeon

New cable company to be named Tsacmoc, and they'll totally compete with Comcast HONEST TO GOODNESS. Now approve the merger Deal  

News Comments > Is Destiny Destined for PCs?
59. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 29, 2014, 08:44 Pigeon

It's a FPS MMO, of course they're not going to release it on the PC. I mean have you ever tried to play an FPS or MMO on a PC? The controls are shit, and the UI's are cumbersome. And forget about trying to communicate with other players, it just can't be done with a keyboard.  

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Apr 24, 2014, 14:35 Pigeon

JohnnyRotten wrote on Apr 24, 2014, 13:50:
Beamer wrote on Apr 24, 2014, 11:23:
I look at numbers mostly on games I had no plans to buy. If I see something very high that wasn't on my radar, may as well check out why. If I see something very low, it can be entertaining to read just how incompetent the devs were.

We're on the same page here. If I see a 1/10, the review is generally worth reading just for the schadenfreude alone.

This is generally how I use scores. Or if I'm looking for something in a specific genre, I might use scores to narrow down the search. For the most part actual purchasing is based on a combination of things, unless its on sale for $5, then I can justify buying a game that's less than amazing. Reviews are helpful if they actually say why something is bad or good. Like they can say terrible UI, but actually mean they feel its cluttered because they're used to simpler console UIs.

4. Re: Censorship Apr 24, 2014, 09:05 Pigeon

Rule# 31: All games must start with a Mao Zedong splash screen  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Apr 23, 2014, 10:54 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Apr 23, 2014, 10:26:
Peer reviews yes. Game "journalist" reviews no.

Anything I buy anymore tends to be because I've seen other gamers express their delight with the game. Most gaming journalists are either shills or have played so many games they have very different expectations as to what constitutes a "good" game. Plus any gaming marketing firm worth its salt can make a pile of crap game look like a wondrous, life changing adventure, that's full of fun and merriment.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 23, 2014, 09:18 Pigeon

Probably the best argument Netflix has for getting the kind of regulation its seeking. How can AT&T be expected to treat the traffic content services fairly when they're offering competing services?

Of course the old, 'You can trust us, we'd never do that... by the way on a totally unrelated note where do I send this campaign contribution check?', argument works pretty well.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2014, 11:30 Pigeon

Dacron wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 11:05:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 10:43:
Golf article mentions every reason but cost and with people not making as much, especially the demographic they are targeting in the article. It should be the #1 reason.

$40 for the pitch and putt (plus rental) or nearly anything else you want to do for several hours and have money left over for food/other activities.

Turning it into soccer/other games will loose core players and not attract new ones.

Cost was the first thing I thought of. But I guess if they acknowledged that it would be the same as admitting wages haven't increased with the cost of living Rolleyes .

1171 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo