Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1275 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2014, 10:23 Pigeon

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 09:58:
Is Archie really that bad in sales (probably, who the hell cares about archie?) that they need to do some weird gay save publicity stunt? This just screams of trying too hard.

Also, Ultra-pure water video, that David Rees guy was annoying the shit out of me.. He acts like a 15 year old.

What I want to know is, who reads Archie? It's one of those comics that has been around forever, but I've never met someone who has claimed to read it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 16, 2014, 10:03 Pigeon

Still trying to push the Metro look I see, with its big fat and flat Fisher Price looking buttons. Still better than 8...  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 16, 2014, 09:06 Pigeon

Wow, what a rip off, I only ask Blue to give me $2,000 to leave comments... still waiting on my check...  

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 Survey
4. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 09:45 Pigeon

I played 1 and 2 and found them quite enjoyable, but it feel like this franchise needs to die, or at least hibernate for a few more years. Plus that survey comes off as a bad sign, 'We have no idea what to do anymore so tell us what you like from other games and we'll jam that in there'.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Why are HDMI cable so expensive Jul 14, 2014, 14:18 Pigeon

So Best Buy can rip you off on one of the few things you might actually buy at Best Buy.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 14, 2014, 09:18 Pigeon

"Raising the FCC standard will naturally lower the number of people who have 'broadband' (i.e. penetration will fall, at least initially)," Craig Moffett, senior analyst, said in a cover note about the 50-plus page report. The change will also have wider implications because "it will reduce the portion of the country for which broadband is deemed 'available,' arguably bolstering the case for FCC authority to do something about the shortfall."..

"Cable's share will, on paper, appear to rise. Importantly, so too will that share of the country where cable is deemed to be the only available option, bolstering arguments for FCC authority to intervene in the absence of effective competition," Moffett wrote.

'Don't call that rotten chicken rotten otherwise it'll look like we're serving rotten chicken.' Seriously their argument is asinine, then again it is Wall Street, a group of people who profit wildly on false claims and then leave everyone else in the poor house when their non-reality bubble collapses.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
11. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 14, 2014, 09:03 Pigeon

Reminds me I should cancel my Hulu subscription. They have a good selection of shows, better than Netflix in some categories, but their player is ass. If I try to skip over opening credits it occasionally freezes up, or gets stuck trying to load one of the commercials. When you reset it you of course have to watch the commercials all over again. Sometimes the commercials don't load right so you have to reset it. I think subscription accounts get slightly less commercials, but if it's less its by a barely distinguishable amount. To put it another way, the player weights commercials way more than viewing experience, and it can't even be assed to make sure the commercials always run correctly. Of course, nothing less should be expected of a service partly owned by Comcast.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2014, 13:17 Pigeon

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 12:27:
Ouch. That'll teach those people to dare to go to a Siberian beach. Hopefully nobody got seriously injured.

Well played, meteorologists.

Yep, exactly what you'd imagine when Siberian beach is mentioned.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 11, 2014, 13:07 Pigeon

Task wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 11:41:
Pigeon wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 09:58:
I'm afraid the only evidence that would satisfy O’Rielly

The thing with O'Reilly is that he is a stooge and corporate shill. Like the stooges/shills of CNN, MSNBC, or FOX. He plays a character and is providing a product. Remember when Fox won a court case that allows them to lie? Because of the high courts of the land decided to use loopholes in the 14th amendment, we can have corporate media people that lie :). Many of these corps like Comcast have big ties to the media corps as well in one big corporate lovenest.

I know O'Reilly is a sell-out stooge personally, because he was a 'regular' reporter in the 70s/80s timeframe. He at that time took the JFK assassination investigations seriously - years later realizes that wasn't good for his paycheck, got a new persona in the changing propaganda Media atmosphere of the U.S. (and dying Fourth Estate) and wrote a terrible book on JFK as well.

I think you're confusing Bill O'Rielly with Michael O'Rielly, the FCC Commissioner mentioned in the story. Michael O'Rielly is a corporate shill too though, so despite the identity confusion you still weren't that far off.

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 11, 2014, 09:58 Pigeon

I'm afraid the only evidence that would satisfy O’Rielly would be if Comcast took a kindergarten classroom hostage and demanded mandatory nation wide subscriptions to their top tier service or they would execute a child every hour.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 11, 2014, 08:50 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 23:40:
It's also something that happened months ago, but trust Ars to be right on the ball.

And I like how the US government's IT department is being dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century.

I'm not sure what the problem is, everything is backed up onto 8" floppies. It's not like any data was lost.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 11, 2014, 08:42 Pigeon

Agrajag wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 06:31:
Creston wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 23:40:
It's also something that happened months ago, but trust Ars to be right on the ball.

Are you sure you're not thinking about his original plea? Or Musk's vague promise to help at the time? This appears to be a brand new update on the situation saying that Musk is giving a million bucks (and a supercharger station for the parking lot)... From what I can tell by the Oatmeal's blog post on the subject (dammit, people, put dates on your posts!), it was posted yesterday... He mentions it being Tesla's birthday, which was July 10th...

Thank you, how hard is it for places to automatically put time stamps on their articles. I'm frequently amazed at how many "news" articles aren't dated.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 10, 2014, 19:23 Pigeon

The public didn't support the police's plan to chemically induce an erection in a teen and then take pictures of it? Guess they'll just have to label him a terrorist so they can do whatever they want.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2014, 21:03.

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 10, 2014, 10:08 Pigeon

Task wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 09:09:
More in-depth article on U.S. VA. Top to bottom u.s. society is constantly degrading from wars, and the pawns the government uses get tossed away.

We pay a lot of lip service to vets, but when it comes to doing something worthwhile for vets like providing them with good health care(mental and physical), as a society we fall flat on our faces. But hey, so long as you've got a yellow ribbon sticker on the back of your SUV its okay to vote for Warhawks that will hold vet benefits hostage as political leverage.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 10, 2014, 09:42 Pigeon

We have a social and moral system derived from a 4000 year old bronze age religion. As a society we've obviously adapted it, which in itself wouldn't be too bad, but its generally been wielded as a tool by those with power to oppress those without power. We also have a reactionary society driven by a sensationalistic media that routinely tries to make sense of irrational acts, by finding one facet of a problem and scapegoating it. Thus we get laws that unfairly punish people because we ignore context.  

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 9, 2014, 13:12 Pigeon

Dagnamit wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 12:05:
Beamer wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 10:18:
Julio wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 09:41:
Guess they don't want the truth to come out, so they're pushing to settle.

What "truth?"

Again, why do so many here think there is conspiracy behind incompetence?

Word. How much more money are they going to spend finding a scapegoat for this mess? Politicians are useless.

Cost of 38 studios default: $87 Million
State legal fees: $2 Million
Number of impoverished state residents: 140k
Finding a Scapegoat: Priceless

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 9, 2014, 10:06 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 09:48:
Julio wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 09:43:
I just don't get 'e-sports'. Why not just play games yourself?

I don't get why people watch baseball or soccer yet they do. They really do need to stop calling it e-sports. That's the sort of thing that make people roll their eyes. Yeah, a bunch of kids playing video games is a sport? Yeah. Sure.

Well apparently chess and bridge are considered sports, so why not video games? At least they require more hand eye coordination. I agree though calling these things sports is dumb, there needs to be some athletic component. Even bowling requires you to hurl a 14 lb ball down a lane with enough physical dexterity to knock over all the pins.

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing
11. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing Jul 8, 2014, 13:52 Pigeon

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 13:40:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 13:01:
Multiboxing should be banned, plain and simple. It isn't a reasonable practice.

Reasonable is reasonably a relative term. Old friend of mine used to play EQ with 5 computers running 5 separate accounts pretty easily. Just really a factor of money and desire to do it at that point.

Even if they were to ban it, it is almost completely unenforceable from a technical point of view. At best they could make it harder to do but they'd run into a lot of situations where it would be a gray area and they couldn't hand out bans without catching a lot of flak. Not worth their time and since the player is paying for a additional accounts I doubt they care.

You aren't going to multibox anything that couldn't be done by a swarm of 8 year olds so their really isn't any harm that I can see. Maybe for in-game economies but it is nothing you wouldn't be able to accomplish by making your kid/friend (or funding some third-world child to do ;)) do the same for you.

While I'm not a big fan of multi-boxing, I think you're correct that outright banning would be inneffective, and hurt people who have multiple accounts but aren't multi-boxing, such as families.

Frankly I understand multi-boxing in some cases, like leveling multiple alts. After you've leveled a few the leveling experience can be very boring and pointless. And the multi-boxing arena shammy that was mentioned previously should technically be at a disadvantage, he just played bad teams. The obvious problem with multiboxing being the high potential for abuse, i.e. botting.

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing
4. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing Jul 8, 2014, 11:44 Pigeon

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 10:39:
Why? No money is in the game anymore - no AH, who cares.

No official money. Multiboxing is often used by gold farmers, and paid levelers. There is still an in-game economy and gold farmers tend to screw that economy up by farming way more than anyone not using botting programs could. I'm not currently playing D3 so I'm not sure what things are important, but the standard problems are:

1. The value of in-game currency drops drastically
2. The value of relatively easily farmed materials drops making it harder for non-botting players to earn enough in game currency to afford the going rates for rare items.
3. Drop rates for rare items are often decreased as they are seen as being to easily obtained and/or amounts of materials needed for crafting are increased for the same reasons.

So Blizzard cares because botting ruins the experience of those who are not botting, i.e. people not cheating.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2014, 10:12 Pigeon

My Monday night routine is co-op gaming with a few mutant friends.

Wolverine and Night Crawler?

1275 Comments. 64 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo