Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1485 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2015, 15:06 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 14:14:
How is this sort of false advertising permitted to begin with?

I guess cause they're selling the underwear and not Bieber. Personally I think it's a pretty scummy practice, and the world would be a slightly better place if they didn't do things like that. Bieber aside,they regularly take people who are the 1%ers of attractiveness, and then photo-shop the crap out of them and then present non-reality as obtainable if you'd buy their product and presumably work out 24/7. I think escapism is a perfectly legitimate coping mechanism, but I think when you blur the lines between reality and fantasy it becomes counter productive. /rant

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 9, 2015, 13:49 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 13:02:
Yeah, not gonna count my chickens until the rules are on the books. Still, Wheeler's saying the right things. Also, he's not alone in standing up to the ISPs. Google, MS, Apple, Netflix, etc. are backing him. That's some pretty big muscle to have on your side.

It does have that, 'this is such a big change from previous positions, that we don't believe it.' I'm sure Obama's statement of his position helped, and the responses from the ISPs have been pretty caustic, 'Do exactly as we say OR ELSE.'

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 8, 2015, 09:52 Pigeon

Tech firm Monster sues Beats and founders Dre and Iovine. Can you patent "overpriced?"

Seriously though, this explains a lot.

As for the coach story, well all I can say is moron. He failed to heed some sage internet advice which is, 'if you don't want pictures of your junk on the internet, don't take pictures of your junk and put it on the internet.'

And as much as I dislike most aspects of social media, and the whole everyone needs to know everything about you culture it's creating, this guy has no one but himself to blame.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jan 7, 2015, 11:53 Pigeon

"A Warcraft film should not be about a good race of humans battling an evil race of orcs! Warcraft should be about heroes on both sides trying to avoid a conflict, when villains leave them no choice… I hope that with our film, the audience will get a chance to see past the Horde/Alliance divide and recognize the heroes on BOTH sides!"

Well that's at least an encouraging sign, of course actually delivering is another story.

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2015, 11:13 Pigeon

It's sad but true that Let's Play videos exist in that legal grey area. Oddly enough the videos that have been hit with take down notices, those featuring glitches and bugs, are probably the easiest to defend under fair use.  

News Comments > Retail Broken Age Plans
2. Re: Retail Broken Age Plans Jan 7, 2015, 10:47 Pigeon

Bundy wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 09:54:
I didn't mind Act 1, can't believe how long they're taking to do Act 2. But my main gripe was the difficulty. Point and click adventure games have become stupid easy since the old King's Quest days.

Well to be fair part of the difficultly was fighting with text parsers.

News Comments > $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced
16. Re: $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced Jan 6, 2015, 13:25 Pigeon

theglaze wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 12:41:
Pigeon wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 09:47:
I almost forget creative is still around. I remember when adding a sound card made made a huge difference. Now, unless it's implemented poorly, on-board audio is more than most people need.

I disagree, sound always seems to be the most overlooked element to system building.

If you have +$50 headphones, or frequently use voip, onboard audio IS limiting the quality of the experience

Just like any other component in a system, there should be balance and each component compliment the other. Most people buy mediocre motherboards (~$100) that will generate mediocre sound from mid-range Realtek onboard processing. Maybe the high-end boards with Creative Core, Asus SupremeFX or Realtek ALC1050 sound just as good as a decent dedicated card, but those are only found on +$300 mobos.

Perhaps my advice is falling on deaf ears because most people think Beats are high-end headphones....

ALC 1150 is easily found on MB's that are around $100, or lower w/rebates. I have no doubt a good dedicated card can offer a better audio experience, but you're going to need better headphones/speakers and music that actually benefits from better hardware; streamed pop music isn't going to improve cause it's coming from a $500 dedicated sound card. The gap between dedicated and on-board has narrowed tremendously in the last 10 years.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 6, 2015, 11:34 Pigeon

If it's anything like my Walkman, about $1100 less than the one in the story, the battery won't last for shit (2 days when the device is turned off) and the headphones will have wire problems if used during any activity other than sitting.  

News Comments > $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced
1. Re: $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced Jan 6, 2015, 09:47 Pigeon

I almost forget creative is still around. I remember when adding a sound card made made a huge difference. Now, unless it's implemented poorly, on-board audio is more than most people need.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2015, 09:59 Pigeon

Good games yesterday, specially the Cowboys' game. I usually dislike the Cowboys, but that's mostly due to them getting treated like an elite team, when they've been mediocre way more often than not since 1999. At least now their performance merits the praise they get. Good luck in Greenbay though...  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 4, 2015, 20:06 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Jan 4, 2015, 17:22:
I still haven't done the DLC for Skyrim yet, so yeah, I'm good for yet another playthrough or two still. Until Fallout 4 shows up this year at any rate.

I'll def grab Wolfensteen at some point but yeah, SoM is really effing good.

W2 didn't really grab me, but Shadowrun Berlin Director's Cut is the way to go and DoS as well. Pillars of Eternity better be ready to go in Feb however. They've had more than enough time now.

Been enjoying SoM too. It's maybe not as structured as the Arkham series, but I don't really see that as much of a detraction. It's unfortunate you can't get revenge on caragors, cause they tear me up. Two captains and a mass of underlings no problem, a single caragor and suddenly I'm a squeaky chew toy.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2015, 16:47 Pigeon

The NFL games were fun yesterday, though it's frustrating to get both outcomes wrong after torturing myself over the choices, since it makes me feel like I missed the winners by this much (picture me holding my fingers really close together).

I seconded guessed myself too much yesterday as well, letting the Panther's losing record influence my decision despite them having played well the last several games.

At least I can always count on the Bengals to lose the second they set foot in a play-off game

News Comments > Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users [Updated]
2. Re: Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users Jan 3, 2015, 11:39 Pigeon

Simon Says wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 11:05:
ONLY 8.5M? I thought Steam was the revolutionary shiznit and everything hearing people talk about it here...

8.5 Million is for people logged on at the same time. As pointed out in yesterday's thread active users is somewhere over 100 million.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 2, 2015, 15:10 Pigeon

Julio wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 13:07:
At least they extended the PS+ subscriptions to make up for the downtime. I wasn't expecting anything, customer service is in the toilet these days.

Yeah I saw that too. I didn't really use my PS4 during all the problems so for me it's all gravy.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the subject, so I don't know how negligent Sony has been at putting systems into place to manage DDOS attacks. It's Sony so I always suspect some negligence, but if the solution is the equivalent of piling up sandbags to hold back a flooding river I have a hard time faulting them too much.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 2, 2015, 11:20 Pigeon

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 10:59:
A 10% coupon isn't actually an apology.. that's like saying hey, pay me 45$ instead of 50$ to make me say sorry (when I am really not).

The cynic in me says it's just a plot to sell more games than they otherwise would. 10% isn't that much, but since it applies to the whole cart, customers will get more "savings" the more they buy. I'll probably just use mine for that slight discount re-subbing for psn+.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jan 2, 2015, 10:59 Pigeon

I eventually ended up grabbing Shadows of Mordor after having heard lots of good things here and other places. SO far I've spent most of my time futzing with it trying to get my game-pad to work. I guess supporting direct-input devices is too much work when you can just port over the 360 xinput API. Anyways got it to work without running out and buying an Xbox controller. Only other issue I have is for some reason when I'm in full screen mode if I go to the skin chooser the screen goes black and I'm stuck with just a cursor and music. Seems to work fine in the various windowed modes though.

Now to see if the game is fun and probably discover I prefer the mouse and keyboard anyways

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 31, 2014, 15:26 Pigeon

Fion wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 12:29:
First Guy's GotY is Watch Dogs of all things.

Though at least by page 3 we see someone pick Dark Souls 2 (+DLC). I've found DS2 to be easily one of the greatest games of the year, though I realize a good number of gamers dislike it because of it's difficulty. Almost every 'top game of 2014' list is utterly devoid of my personal GotY.

I saw that and stopped reading the second I saw this:
Few games received as much hype as Watch Dogs. But Ubisoft’s cyberthriller about a rogue hacker who takes control of a modern city lived up to it.
From what I understand the game was one of the biggest let downs of the year. Their runner up was Titanfall
I'm going to guess this is the kind of person that will believe anything if the marketing campaign is big enough. I suppose these are personal favorites, but man I really have to call this guy's sense of taste into question.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XV PC Online Hint
3. Re: FINAL FANTASY XV PC Online Hint Dec 31, 2014, 15:10 Pigeon

The upcoming and last two (non-mmo) FF games just don't interest me. I know they're trying to evolve rather than stagnate, but it seems they're getting rid of things I liked, and turning it more into an interactive FMV.  

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Dec 31, 2014, 09:08 Pigeon

There have been a few game that have tempted me, but I have a hard time justifying it when I have a lot of unplayed games. I've basically been filling out my wish list, so if something pops-up on sale in the coming months I can snag it if I want.

Currently I'm just finishing up Bioshock Infinite which I picked up in the summer. On Part 2 of the DLC which has been pretty good. Not sure what I'll hit up next. Maybe finish out the 1 remaining DLC in borderlands 2.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
10. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 30, 2014, 22:10 Pigeon

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 21:58:
Creston wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 21:49:
OMG PEOPLE ARE BUYING TABLETS, QUICK, LET'S FOCUS EVERYTHING ON TABLETS!

*five years later*

WHAT, PEOPLE AREN'T BUYING TABLETS ANYMORE??? NOW WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO?!

- Basically every single tech CEO everywhere, ever.

SWITCH TO WATCHES!

WATCHES?! WHY THE HELL DID WE THINK WATCHES WOULD SELL? STUPID STUPID STUPID

1485 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo