Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1161 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse May 15, 2014, 08:49 Pigeon

Just waiting for Comcast to unveil its newest slogan:
'Comcast, because you don't have a choice'

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black May 14, 2014, 19:53 Pigeon

Kosumo wrote on May 14, 2014, 19:14:
Hero Cat!

That little boy is gonna be a cat fan for life.

I'd call that dog a pussy for attacking a defenseless child, but clearly that usage of the word needs to be reevaluated.

Also good example of why dogs should not be allowed to just roam freely. Technically cats shouldn't either, but they're not much of a danger to people, just small wild-life.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse May 14, 2014, 15:37 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on May 14, 2014, 13:28:
It's been shown in studies that trolls have psychopathic and sadistic tendencies. Since the Internet lets them practice this behavior anonymously, I'd say it's why they're so attracted to it as an outlet. "Maybe I'm just a bad person." Yes, yes you are.

Yeah there are a good number of people that are just straight out assholes. Anonymity may keep them from consequences, but I'd wager many of these trolls are insufferable in person too. Maybe they wouldn't go as far in person out of fear of personal retaliation, but I'm willing to bet they're still obnoxious.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
11. Re: Evening Consolidation May 13, 2014, 23:24 Pigeon

Years ago, Microsoft had a bold vision for the future of computing. It would be a tapestry composed of tiny squares. Each square would represent an app, a game, an experience of some sort, and you’d be able to just reach out and touch it. Or, if you already knew what you wanted, you’d be able to simply speak a name, and have the object of your desire materialize out of thin air — regardless of whether you were using a smartphone or lazing in front of a TV set.

That’s the vision Microsoft was building with Windows 8, with Windows Phone, and most intriguingly, with Xbox.

That vision is dead.

Sounds neat, except they completely failed to deliver a product that improved over methods that were already in-place and time tested. And then further failed to give any kind of software to demonstrate just how useful and wonderful their 'vision' was.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse May 12, 2014, 10:35 Pigeon

Net-neutrality advocates worry that Mr. Wheeler's approach may work while he remains in office, but a different commission could let enforcement wither.

After he leaves office? Riiigght.... They don't seem to be looking too deeply into the alleged shenanigans that the ISPs are already being accused of. The ISPs can't be trusted to not abuse the rules and the FCC can't be trusted to make judgements about what is 'unfair' prioritization, on a case by case basis. The conflicts of interest and the potential for abuse is just way too high.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 9, 2014, 14:00 Pigeon

Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 9, 2014, 13:00:
Next acquisition in Apple's strategy to bolster their line of overpriced fashion items, Monster Cable! They made the first Beats headphones after all.

But you neeeeed that gamma ray shielded, helium-argon encased triple platinum black five foot cable for $80, otherwise you won't get the best signal possible O_O

4. Re: Morning Metaverse May 9, 2014, 10:18 Pigeon

InBlack wrote on May 9, 2014, 10:07:
BitWraith wrote on May 9, 2014, 09:50:
Hopefully the news networks will get a clue when their video streams are getting throttled.

Why would they be throttled when they are (mostly) owned by Time Warner? Isnt that one of the big, huge issues in the US today? The fact that your 'independent' news networks are owned by conglomerate giants?

If it were the news networks would report on it, so it must not be.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse May 9, 2014, 09:31 Pigeon

Cogent lays out a fairly detailed explanation of what Comcast did, and Comcast responds with 'nuh-uh'. The evidence is mounting, but the major news networks are mostly ignoring it. Hopefully more companies speak out, maybe it'll actually get the attention deserves.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 7, 2014, 21:42 Pigeon

JeffD wrote on May 7, 2014, 20:43:
At first I thought the negative review fiasco was going to be another pr shit storm, until I saw that they in
fact highlighted parts of the review that are libel, negative accusations that the author had not backed up. Looks like the lawyers get a win for this one.

The day of reckoning has come; people on the internet being required to back up their wild accusations with verifiable facts. This could be way more damaging than the major ISPs' assault on net neutrality; the end of days is nigh

I understand the company's reaction, but I'm not sure this is the best action. Funnily enough the letter accuses the poster of pretty much he same actions the poster was accusing the company for; artificially inflating popularity.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2014, 09:56 Pigeon

What happens under a net neutrality regime if Netflix, YouTube, or Hulu flex their muscles in the marketplace?

Flex their muscles? How, by offering better services than competitors? Or maybe he thinks they'll start DOSing ISPs claiming its consumer demand, and they need payments from the ISPs so they can streamline their content delivery process.

It's like his position is, 'Let's ignore the problem we are currently having because OMG there could be some vague problem that might be terrible even though I have made no mention of what that could possibly be...'

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 6, 2014, 09:29 Pigeon

Symantec's business model is failing, not the need for anti-virus programs. They're still wanting $50 for a service you can get for free from many sources. Perhaps if they offered a basic free, or low cost edition they could reclaim more of the market.  

1. Re: Evening Metaverse May 5, 2014, 20:52 Pigeon

It's okay guys, Wheeler said he'd stop these shenanigans with dispatch. I'm sure he'll be here any minute to stop those packets from being dropped.... annnny minute....*crickets*.....Hello?  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Find my iPhone May 5, 2014, 11:58 Pigeon

Creston wrote on May 5, 2014, 10:52:
The officer urged anyone whose phone is stolen to call the police

so they can shrug, make you fill out a form, and then do nothing about it. Even if the GPS tracking shows the thing to be a block away.

“Let police officers take care of it. We have backup, guns, radio, jackets — all that stuff civilians don’t have.”

and that we won't use to help you. But hey, at least we have it!

I do have to say, though, that going to confront the thief seems like a rather ballsy move. You can easily wind up in the hospital or worse, all for the sake of a phone? People's priorities are straight-up out of wack.

This was my first thought, cause a lot of times the cops don't do shit. But don't worry they'll be there next time you're speeding

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs May 5, 2014, 09:10 Pigeon

The best part about the VPPA article was reading about how the law came to be. The take away being if you want more privacy laws, an anti-privacy conservative needs their privacy violated. Want the NSA to go away, just find proof they have a record of every phone call Scalia has made.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2014, 14:24 Pigeon

Mr. Tact wrote on May 2, 2014, 13:40:
Yeah, I was puzzled by the Portland story too. I thought the exactly same thing you mentioned, I assume wildlife is pissing and pooping in the reservoir and that this is pre-treated water. So, what is the problem?

The problem is they're stupid and so are a good portion of the voters. If ever there was a good reason to discriminate against anyone, it would be based on a person's level of willful ignorance. If you believe stupid things that are easily disproved, your vote should only count for 1/4th of a 'regular' person.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 2, 2014, 09:05 Pigeon

Yup, that was an 'unpopular' opinion, you probably shouldn't have posted it on your twitter account. Specially when you're a Community Manager.  

7. Re: Morning Metaverse May 1, 2014, 11:51 Pigeon

nin wrote on May 1, 2014, 09:13:
FCC chairman says there will be no Internet 'fast lane'.

Uh huh.

It's not a fast lane, it's a passing lane, so content providers that pay can pass slower moving content. What's so hard to understand about that.

5. Re: Evening Metaverse May 1, 2014, 08:39 Pigeon

Time Warner Cable: Google Fiber's No Better Than What We Offer, it's Way Better.

There fixed.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 30, 2014, 14:37 Pigeon

Verno wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 12:41:
Linksil wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 11:59:
This is a complaint I really don't get. Even playing games that seem to need to be played in a darker room(infamous on dusk levels), I've never had a problem with the light bar.

Depends on where/how you sit, if your TV is glossy or matte, etc.

My complaint is slightly more practical, I just think its a waste of battery power. Before someone says "but its LED!!!", the LED in that thing is so bright they put a heavy dimmer in front of it. I get far better battery life when I'm using the DS4 on the PC with the lightbar turned off as well.

It really doesn't bother me much, but I understand that it bothers some people. I also understand how it can be particularly annoying when its completely possible to turn it off, but they're refusing to give that option for unexplained reasons. I'd probably turn it off, as it only serves as a flashlight in dark rooms, otherwise its just a battery drain.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2014, 10:01 Pigeon

Something that harms competition is not commercially reasonable. For instance, degrading overall service so as to force consumers and content companies to a higher priced tier would be shut down....

...Wheeler also addressed peering agreements, like the ones in which Netflix has agreed to pay Verizon and Comcast for direct connections to their networks. Peering is "outside the scope" of his proposal, but "we will seek comment on this question in order to hear from those who may disagree with this suggested treatment of peering/traffic exchange."

Is he trying to use some kind of Jedi Mind trick? '*waves hand* This isn't the forced peering you're looking for'.

1161 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo