Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1445 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
24. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 30, 2014, 17:06 Pigeon

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 11:48:
The parental generation of this professor said the same things about the professors generation. You'd think a teacher would see the revolving use of words like "kids these days", they've said it since the dawn of time. Lets get it together people. And if it is "kids today" who is leading and teaching them... yes... "Adults these days".

Kids these days can't even make their own soap out of the rendered fat from the pig they slaughtered earlier in the morning.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Dec 29, 2014, 21:49 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 20:52:
Hey Transistor is on sale. There was so much hype on this game (by the Bastion devs), then when it came out I heard nothing. Anyone have any thoughts? Should I pick it up?

I haven't gotten anything yet this Steam sale. I either have what I want, or can't justify the expense given my backlog, but Transistor looks like something I'll play sooner than later.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was a good game, but I think people were expecting it to be Bastion on steroids good. Like Bastion it doesn't give you a whole lot of story at the start, but unlike Bastion the story doesn't unfold quite as well. Like Bastion story components are often implied rather than directly stated; unfortunately they play a little too coy with the story and things don't really start snapping into place till the end. That's probably why some people found the beginning to be particularly slow and/or confusing.

The art and music are top notch, and I really enjoyed the battle system, though that seemed to be hit and miss with people. For $7 you should give it try. Plus its not an exceptionally long game, so it won't delay you much as you plug through your back log.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Dec 29, 2014, 11:55 Pigeon

I always prefer reviews that break it down into categories, like Graphics, game-play and story. I think it encourages the reviewer to look at the game more objectively, and helps the reader separate out the components that matter to them. If a reviewer is forced to recognize that other components of a game are well implemented they may be less likely to give the game a low score because all the female characters are carrying around a pair of award winning watermelons. Basically forcing the reviewer to look at other aspects of the game than focus solely on one component.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2014, 09:54 Pigeon

I missed parts of weeks, damn Thursday games, but truth be told that probably only would have picked me up another win or 2. I mostly did good, but I had a couple of terrible weeks where I attempted to pick a few upsets, and lots of upsets occurred, just not where I predicted.

Also congratulations to the Panthers for sneaking in with a losing record. I'd almost support not allowing teams with losing records in and treating that spot like another wild card.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
7. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 29, 2014, 09:29 Pigeon

Suckage wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 04:35:
mag wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 00:57:
Illumin wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 00:39:
Pigeon wrote on Dec 28, 2014, 10:48:
Not surprising about Game of Thrones. Access to current episodes is still behind two pay walls, TV service and HBO, and the Blu-rays are $35+ a season. Maybe when they make HBO-GO standalone they'll see the piracy levels drop.

35$ for 10 hours of entertainment. Thats like 5 movies. Frozen (on blueray) 1 hour 40 min long is $25.00 Pretty weak excuse to pirate Game of Thrones.

Still have to wait out almost a year of spoilers before you have that option.

How exactly is this different from other disc releases? People make up the damnest excuses to pirate shit.

I don't think anyone here is claiming these reasons make it morally right to pirate. I was pointing out that compared to the other shows on the list Game of Thrones has a higher barrier to access. The next most pirated show has over 3 million less downloads. It also happens to be accessible on several streaming services not tied to a paid TV service, and the blu-rays tend to be cheaper, specially older seasons and box sets. Moral or not people are doing it and price/accessibility appears to be a factor.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 28, 2014, 19:29 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Dec 28, 2014, 16:37:
Leave it to Ars to turn into a clickbait article. In the context NK said it they meant he was foolish, it wasn't racial. Besides, last time I checked Obama was half-white anyway.

I suppose it's possible it was meant as a racial slur, but unless there's evidence North Koreans use monkey as a racial slur for black people I think it's just a regular, less dramatic, insult. It's foolhardy to assume other cultures have the same racial slang as ours or are even necessarily aware of it.

Or to put it another way:
Ars always goes reckless in words and deeds like a monkey in a tropical forest.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 28, 2014, 15:31 Pigeon

I picked up a 500GB drive for just under $200 recently. The jump from mechanical to solid state is probably one of the biggest performance increases I've experienced in a long time.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 28, 2014, 10:48 Pigeon

Not surprising about Game of Thrones. Access to current episodes is still behind two pay walls, TV service and HBO, and the Blu-rays are $35+ a season. Maybe when they make HBO-GO standalone they'll see the piracy levels drop.  

News Comments > On Sale
16. Re: On Sale Dec 24, 2014, 10:01 Pigeon

Wallshadows wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 08:54:
This is probably the worst Steam sale ever. Most of the titles which have a big sale are meh, only cutting 33% is a terrible sales point (unless this is a front page bug), Rage has so far been the 'best' title to come out of their community vote sale, and you can generally find the games which are/will be on sale cheaper elsewhere.

Thumbs down.

Yeah so far I've not been wholly impressed this year. I think in some ways the new layout of steam doesn't lend it's self as well to highlighting but a few sales items. Most of the games I'm interested in were just released so I don't see them getting any deep discounts, and it was a slow summer for good game releases.

I can't say I'm too upset though, I have a ton of games from previous sales I've yet to play, so the less I'm tempted to buy more the better

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Dec 22, 2014, 11:25 Pigeon

The math used to predict its future location all checks out apparently, according to smart people on Reddit.

I think that will be my new favorite thing to say.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 21, 2014, 13:26 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 12:17:
Apparently they were under the seat, which is an odd location. These things should probably be thought out a bit better, since the same thing has happened many times. Yeah, humans are dumb, but being dumb shouldn't be a death penalty.

Are you talking about the manual locks on the Mazda3 in the story? According to the linked story the manual locks are where they normally are in a car, right next to the handle. I have a 6 (which is very similar to the new 3s) and the manual locks are easy to find if you've used a car in the last 20 years.

You're right being dumb shouldn't be a death penalty, but no matter how much you try to fool-proof something there will always be someone who dumb enough to "find" a way around it.

Frankly the amount of things going on in this story is so stupid I find it suspicious. I suppose they could have been drunk, high or on something else or had locked the doors while making out and manged to run the battery dead by having the radio or something on. Still there was enough electricity to honk the horn, there should have been enough to turn on an interior light and/or use the auto-locks. Also they couldn't break the window with a tire iron? I know car glass is strong, but unless you've got the arm strength of an infant you should be able to break the glass if you beat on it enough.

Maybe my brain is just rejecting that someone could be this dumb, so it has decided they must have had some ill conceived plot to try and get money from Mazda.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 21, 2014, 00:00 Pigeon

"Once I found out how simple it was to unlock it I kicked myself that I did not find the way out," Smith is quoted as having said. The Times also says that since going to the media with their story, the couple has been contacted by "about five" other people who have had "similar keyless-car experiences."

Maybe they can all get together and start a New Zealand key-less car survivor club and have a convention. Then they can all die a tragic death when everyone get's locked in the stair well of an Auckland Marriott.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 19, 2014, 21:55 Pigeon

Titan-fall a top 10? I was under the impression it was a big rock that didn't make much of a splash.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 18, 2014, 15:34 Pigeon

How nice of Comcast... Did Roku not pay enough tribute unto Caesar previously?  

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale Begins
7. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 18, 2014, 14:08 Pigeon

I doubt I'll pick much up for this, still have a lot from summer sale sitting un-played. If I were less of a perfectionist I could get through things much much faster.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 16, 2014, 08:47 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 00:28:
NamecaF wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 22:49:
What about Comcast?

From the article:
the cable giant's anti-competitive behavior in the Philadelphia area resulted in the company overcharging users to the tune of more than $875 million. The case has stumbled around the courts for several years now, though Comcast recently agreed to pay $50 million to settle the suit.
That's a good racket they've got going. And that's just the Philly region. I imagine they've made billions with these practices.

Overcharged $875 million pays $50 million in fines, wow if only that worked with other crimes. Rob a bank, return 6% of what you stole and walk away a free man.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 15, 2014, 12:55 Pigeon

Narf2029 wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 12:40:
It's funny that the transparency of the internet age has just made politicians blatantly corrupt instead of skulking around in the shadows. Still just as corrupt, if not more so, but the proof is literally all around us and the overwhelming majority of people simply don't care. This is a country where nobody likes a guy and nobody has liked him for 20 years yet he's been in the House of Representatives for 18 of those 20 years.

Unfortunately people make rhetoric informed decisions when voting instead of behavior informed.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 13, 2014, 15:14 Pigeon

1badmf wrote on Dec 13, 2014, 14:48:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 13, 2014, 13:00:
It's funny that the other day the MPAA totally pissed Google off when Google was actually trying to help them.

typical no-talent hacks trying to justify their jobs. their brains don't have the processing power to comprehend the whole picture so they get lost in the minutiae and have no clue about what they're doing to us as a society. but that's been the entertainment industry's problem for a long time. they've been so used to staggering profits that their greed has essentially become unlimited, and they don't care who they squash in the course of chasing it whether it be innocent mistakes or the rights of a whole country. i'm pretty sure if left unchecked by the likes of google, they'd happily turn this into a police state where piracy became a capital crime.

Google's mistake was thinking a solution that negatively impacted people's ability to search for pirated material while making it easier for customers to find legitimate sources would please the MPAA.

In MPAA logic all customers are pirates, and should be treated like criminals. Google should have require everyone to sign in with an always-on DRM that linked directly to filthy customer pirates checking accounts, and any time they viewed a clip, read a review or searched for a movie they would be charged a fee. Actually watching a movie would incur a $1 per-minute charge, with HD (720p) costing extra.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2014, 13:50 Pigeon

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 13, 2014, 10:48:
That honking the horn garbage makes my blood pressure rise. EVERYONE has a cell phone, some more than 1 - yet for some stupid reason, neanderthals feel the need to use the horn on their vehicle. Lazy inconsiderate bastards....

It happened all the time where I used to live and people would just lay on the horn too. Of course there were a host of other scuzzy low life behaviors going on too.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 09:34 Pigeon

What a ridiculous piece of crap. If they're going to complain about GTA V's over the top violence complain about the whole thing. You can do whatever you want with innocent faceless civilians, but don't hurt the prostitutes T.T. I get what he's saying, but it just seems absurd to single out that one aspect of the game out of all the other horrible things you can do. I would have more respect for this article if the Author just said, 'hey maybe we shouldn't be glorifying violence to this extent, because X,Y and Z'.  

1445 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo