Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1510 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
3. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 09:35 Pigeon

Prez wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 09:31:
Well Star Citizen does everything big - big promises, big coffers, big development time - so I am disappointed that the client is only going to be 100GB. Maybe it can be a stretch goal to get it up above a terabyte.

The first game to be sold pre-installed on a hard-drive

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 11, 2015, 14:45 Pigeon

vacs wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 13:31:
Just wondering, what are the actual prices per month in the US?

Here in Europe you get fiber 100 Mbit/s for 60€, 200 Mbit/s for 70€ and 1000 Mbit/s for 150€ (upload is always half of it and flatrate the standard).

The cheapest would 35€ for 8 Mbit/s which is normal DSL but still flatrate.

All connections, at least in my country, are almost 100% stable and no drops are noticeable.

For Comcast cable it's ~$79 for 105Mbits, new customers can get the same thing for 12 months +some streaming subscriptions for $45. If you happen to live in an area where there's an equivalent competing service you can sometimes haggle for a lower price after the 12 months. Oddly enough it really doesn't get much cheaper as you go down in service, ~50Mbits is ~$68 a month and and 6Mbits is ~$50 a month

In the very few places Google fiber is available it's about $70 for 1000Mbits

Overall y'all get a much better deal.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2015, 14:50.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 10, 2015, 08:55 Pigeon

John wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 08:14:
DangerDog wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 03:58:
Doesn't the apple iwatch have a fast discharge of like five hours and you need to charge it up again?
According to Apple it gets about 18 hours so it would need to be charged every night. We'll have to wait and see what the reviews say about battery life after it is released.

I'm curious as to what the life span of the battery is, or even the lifespan of the watch. How long until the watch is no longer fully supported by newer devices, or it suffers the slowdown creep? Are people going to want to shell out another $400-$600 every year and a half for something of limited use?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 6, 2015, 14:52 Pigeon

Jivaro wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 11:49:
nin wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 10:28:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 10:23:
That Comcast thing is exactly why we need a least the commons man version of Net Neutrality. BS an ISP can pick and choose what will go over their wires. Lets see where this leads...

Yeah, you'd think, at least for the moment, they'd be kissing ass, trying to prove they don't need additional FCC input.

But nope! This is exactly why NN is important, to either keep them from being assholes about this kind of shit, and/or allow competition from another vendor that could provide what they don't.

Is this a net neutrality issue? I thought this was a tv provider issue. Comcast, the cable tv company part of it, didn't negotiate a contract with HBO for this, thus subscribers to Comcast cable TV can't verify their accounts. It's like DirecTV subscribers who can't access ESPN on their mobile devices because ESPN and DirecTV can't seem to get their shit together. I mean, I used my DirecTV account on my PS4 for HBO Go....and unless I am REALLY delusional....it works fine. Streams right over my Comcast Internet connection without problems. Am I missing something?

Yeah, sounds like it's a TV issue not an internet problem. Since HBO Go is tied to a cable TV subscription, Comcast has to support authentication through the PS4 app.

I don't know why they would drag their feet on this, but I can only imagine it has something to do with how much they're paying or how much they get paid. Whatever it is I'm sure it's exceptionally petty, cause you know, Comcast. Just one more reason HBO needs to uncouple their TV subscription from their HBO Go.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2015, 13:14 Pigeon

HPV vaccines and public health campaigns shouldn’t be limited to girls, says Apter, and Prof. Elmar Joura, lead author on the Gardasil-9 paper, agrees. “The female-only campaigns leave men who have sex with men unprotected,” says Joura. In societies where vaccination rates among girls are low, men who have sex with women are also at risk from HPV-related disease. Being vaccinated not only protects men individually, but also contributes to herd immunity, says Apter.

Unfortunately the religious abstinence only crowd like to use STIs as part of their fear based campaign. HPV is one of their darlings since condoms aren't as effective against it as they are against other STIs. The only reason the female vaccination campaign has met with any amount of success in the US is because of HPV's link with cervical cancer. This allows public health officials to bill it as an anti-vagina cancer vaccine to the fear guided public. After all what kind of monster would want young girls to get vagina cancer?

It really is ridiculous that the failure of this vaccine to become more widespread is because it eliminates one of the boogie-men from the abstinence only, anti-gay crowd. It'd be like if I opposed a medicine that prevented smokers from getting lung cancer, because I personally think smoking is gross and the best way to prevent people from smoking is by having horrible lung cancer as one of the consequences. /rant

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 19, 2015, 19:28 Pigeon

First 15 minutes of that was a lot of grunting and QTEs. Rapidly press X to pinch off a loaf, hold Triangle to wipe, rotate left analogue stick to flush. The actual game play portion looked like pretty standard/boring cover shooting. Maybe it picks up later with some unique mechanics and good story, but I didn't see anything that looked like fun to me. Pretty though.  

News Comments > DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed
3. Re: DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed Feb 18, 2015, 19:06 Pigeon

descender wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 19:01:
Who gives a rats if I have to buy a new card or operating system to get access to it?

Supposedly you won't need a new card assuming your card is newish. But I'll believe it when I see it, this is Microsoft were talking about.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 16, 2015, 09:33 Pigeon

I've really been waiting for a good JRPG, so hoping these indie projects can deliver. We're sure not going to get anything resembling FFIV, VI, Secret of Mana, or Chrono Trigger from Square anymore. They've been too busy pushing out cut-scene games with characters that look like they were pulled from some crappy J-Pop group.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 15, 2015, 22:19 Pigeon

Rhino wrote on Feb 15, 2015, 21:19:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 15, 2015, 19:15:
Comcast gets a merger approval, but objects to new low-income requirements.

Was going to post a comment, but this one on Ars sums it up:

So... They get to be a monopoly and then complain about being regulated like one?

Still, surprised they don't just accept and do what all big telecoms do with these requirements: ignore them.

Which is probably what they'll just end up doing, anyway.

From what I understand, from the article, they seem to object to the part about enrolling 45% of house holds eligible for internet essentials program. Which appears to be a way to benchmark whether or not Comcast is actually providing the services for the poor they promised. So basically they're fine with everything except the part that checks to see whether or not they're doing what they said they would.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2015, 15:29 Pigeon

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 15:01:
had surgery recently, any tips or games people know about for 1 handed gaming? my strong/mouse hand is all i gots right now to use.

Pretty much most strategy games should be doable with 1 hand. XCOM comes to mind. Also the turn based rogue likes should be doable 1 handed; I like Sword of Stars: The Pit, but there are a lot in that genre. RPGs with turn based combat, Final Fantasy IV is on steam if you're in the mode for some updated retro gaming.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
8. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 13, 2015, 11:14 Pigeon

RPS: Yes, but you know that. You’ve been working in the industry for over thirty years, you know how much money it costs to make a game and you put a specific amount–

Peter Molyneux: No, I don’t, I disagree John. I have no idea how much money it costs to make a game and anyone that tells you how much it’s going to cost to make a game which is completely a new experience is a fool or a genius.

RPS: But you have to have enough experience to know the basics of budgeting a videogame, you’ve been doing it for thirty years!

Peter Molyneux: No, I disagree. See this is where you’re wrong....

Popcorn

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 12, 2015, 21:40 Pigeon

ASJD wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 20:26:
Can I just write on a piece of paper that looks like a check and get free Comcast for life?

Unfortunately no, but if you send them an actual check with My Soul written in the amount box you get a job as a lobbyist.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 12, 2015, 11:28 Pigeon

InBlack wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 09:41:
Pigeon wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 09:22:
Lawmakers with the help of Republican FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai are also calling on Chairman Tom Wheeler to be more transparent and publicly share the draft proposal that will be voted on February 26. Of course, Ajit Pai admits that the FCC never shares these documents prior to a vote and refuses to release the draft himself.

Perhaps their calls for greater transparency would be more believable and effective if they didn't come only when they would benefit the party asking for it.

What are they exactly asking for? Better transparency or a change of the rules? I still don't comprehend how the Republican Party holds so much influence, power and sway. I mean they consistently vote against their constituents and the core tenets of their party, issue after issue after issue and yet they keep getting elected. As an outsider I guess I will never understand the U.S. two party democracy and it's intricacies...*sigh*

They want exceptions to the rules as they see fit, aka having your cake and eating it too. In this case they want advanced knowledge of the draft so, I suspect, they can produce more targeted spin in advance of the vote.

Verno wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 11:05:
ForgedReality wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 10:30:
The parties are meaningless. It's all about who has the money to fund the corporatocracy. The only function parties and labels serve is in keeping the lazy-minded, easily brainwashed public thinking that democracy exists.

Pretty much. It makes voting extremely frustrating as it usually comes down to "who has screwed me less lately?" for most people. For all of the people getting angry at Republicans there are plenty of Dems on corporate payrolls, trust me.

I have to admit I was really worried about Wheeler but its been a pleasant surprise in every way so far.

I think he was in their camp, but you can only make someone bend over backwards so much before they break.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 12, 2015, 09:22 Pigeon

Lawmakers with the help of Republican FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai are also calling on Chairman Tom Wheeler to be more transparent and publicly share the draft proposal that will be voted on February 26. Of course, Ajit Pai admits that the FCC never shares these documents prior to a vote and refuses to release the draft himself.

Perhaps their calls for greater transparency would be more believable and effective if they didn't come only when they would benefit the party asking for it.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2015, 11:21 Pigeon

Wow, classy Samsung. I've not noticed this with my TV, seems to have been added with a recent update. Reminder to self: don't update.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 11, 2015, 09:21 Pigeon

I can't help but feel things like this are tests of humanities' collective intelligence; a test we're routinely getting a -D on.  

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Feb 11, 2015, 09:12 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 22:33:
Has anyone played Contrast? Any good? I like the artistic style. Reviews just seem to be a pretty mixed bag...baby.

I got it as one of the free PS+ game and enjoyed it. It's a puzzle platformer with a unique game mechanic, a decent story and good ambiance. Not sure if this is a plus or minus for you, but it's not terribly long so you can probably play through it in a weekend; even if your a completionist. At $6 I don't think it's a risk.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: 1,700 RadioShack stores closing soon, some liquidating stock at 50% off. Feb 10, 2015, 15:30 Pigeon

jimnms wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 11:45:
So basically they're reducing prices to normal retail prices?

You joke, but there's a good chance items will be more expensive than normal. These things get contracted out to liquidation companies that jack up the normally price items by 200%, then slap a 50% discount on it and stick up a big liquidation banner to draw the suckers in. I remember when Circuit City went out of business I was in the store a few days before they went into liquidation and they had decent prices on things, when I went in a few days later things were way more expensive. A TV went up in price by almost $2k. Thing is people were in there buying crap like no there was no tomorrow, because OMG liquidation sale, these must be the cheapest prices ever.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 9, 2015, 11:30 Pigeon

I'm pretty sure the move to HTML5 has more to do with security than DRM. So assuming HTML5 doesn't leave client computers as vulnerable as flash, then it's not the same.

Also, perhaps I'm not understanding what is being said in the article completely, but it sounds like the DRM component to HTML 5 is optional. So you could still watch non-DRM HTML 5 content while not supporting content with DRM by not having the extension that allows you to play DRM content.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 6, 2015, 18:18 Pigeon

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 17:00:
ForgedReality wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 13:59:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 10:24:
If I were a Comcast customer I'd hope for the "Asshole" bill, you get this:

Last week, we wrote about a Comcast customer whose first name was changed to “Asshole” on a bill. Comcast apologized to the customer and offered a full refund for the previous two years and two years of service at no charge.

Worth it! $2400 in cash and your next $2400 free, value.

Jesus. Your Comcast bill is that high? Mine isn't even $80 and I have 105mbit.

But hey! Maybe the merger will make everything all better! </sarcasm>

Plenty of people have $100 or more /mo bills from Comcast. Comcast more than just i-net.

I'm currently paying ~$30 for 50mbit, but that'll jump to ~$65 after the special runs out. I can see how someone can have a massive bill with them, 100mbit internet, digital premium channels, home phone and security system and you're looking at big ass bill.

1510 Comments. 76 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo