Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1275 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 3, 2014, 08:39 Pigeon

While I applaud his efforts in of giving up the phone zombie life, it might be time to reevaluate whether or not an iPhone is right for him come upgrade time.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Open Letter to the Gaming Community
26. Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 14:45 Pigeon

Beamer wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 13:54:
4D-Boxing wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 13:50:
Pigeon wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 11:02:
Asking the internet not to make death threats and racial,homophobic or sexist slurs, is a bit of a tall order, but good luck.

Lol keyboard warriors would actually have to use logic to express their repressed angst..good luck with that. Why aim that at gamers, its a satiety/evolution issue. Hundreds of years after slavery and almost 50 years after MLKs assassination and society is still dealing with this issue. Give it another 200 years maybe at least if not more. (people that spread hate and intolerance do reproduce so it will take a very very long time.

Why aim at gamers?
Because this was done by game developers? Why would they aim it at something other than games?

Anyway, given how many people here have, in the past, claimed they would never use Xbox Live because it's just racist 14 year olds, I'm shocked at how many people are angry at someone posting an open letter saying you should "publicly stand against" racist 14 year olds.

Not that Xbox Live is really full of that anymore. It was when only 14 year olds used the service, but in the early days of the 360 they became the minority.

I think the general dislike of the petition is the perception it's just game developers and journalists whining about people being mean to them. As you pointed out it's likely due to the vague simplistic language of the petition. Maybe they did this to avoid the murky waters of trying to define what goes too far in criticism, or what constitutes harassment.

Personally I think they would have been better off just addressing threats of violence and racial/sexist/homophobic slurs. Those things contribute nothing to criticism, they are purely negative coercion. So while calling someone, a self-righteous moron, with their head planted in their ass, isn't the best way to express criticism, it at least addresses specific negative qualities; as opposed to demeaning someone for being a woman.

News Comments > Open Letter to the Gaming Community
4. Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 11:02 Pigeon

Asking the internet not to make death threats and racial,homophobic or sexist slurs, is a bit of a tall order, but good luck.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 30, 2014, 11:00 Pigeon

This sounds like something that's much more likely to irritate customers than anything else... oh wait, that's the definition of DRM.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2014, 09:55 Pigeon

nin wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 09:26:
Pigeon wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 09:22:
Stormsinger wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 19:06:
Verno wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 10:55:
Quitting smoking was one of the best decisions I made in my life awhile ago. It opened up so many other things, I started mountain climbing, biking and being able to actually taste food again was wonderful.
I quit nearly eight years ago, and I'm still waiting to experience thse benefits. So far the only noticeable change is the 60 pounds I gained and have not been able to lose.

That's because you've replaced your smoking habit with eating. Before when you were bored you probably smoked, now you probably eat. You need to replace it with something healthier, like drinking

While I don't smoke, I was under the impression that smoking itself increased the metabolism. And thus, when you quit, it slows. So what you ate before with no weight gain could potentially now cause weight gain.

You forced me to look it up: Is weight gain inevitable after you quit smoking? What causes it?

So it seems like smoking increases metabolism slightly and it's an appetite suppressant; thus when you stop you burn less calories and are hungry more often. The More You Know Star_full

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2014, 09:22 Pigeon

Stormsinger wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 19:06:
Quitting smoking was one of the best decisions I made in my life awhile ago. It opened up so many other things, I started mountain climbing, biking and being able to actually taste food again was wonderful.
I quit nearly eight years ago, and I'm still waiting to experience thse benefits. So far the only noticeable change is the 60 pounds I gained and have not been able to lose.

That's because you've replaced your smoking habit with eating. Before when you were bored you probably smoked, now you probably eat. You need to replace it with something healthier, like drinking

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2014, 16:08 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 14:52:
Pigeon wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 11:33:

I whenever I see TV Chefs smoking, it makes me wonder how good their food could actually be. I tend to assume they over season (i.e. a half pound of salt), because that's the only way they can taste stuff.

They do. Have you ever watched Chopped? Half their judges are CONSTANTLY bitching that shit 'needs more salt.' Guarnachelli recently complained that fucking ICE CREAM needed more salt.

The fact that she has completely burned away her taste buds with all the Umami she's eating to the point where salt is the only thing she can taste anymore has apparently never occured to her.

I'd bet that if they couldn't see their contestants put all the ingredients in, their tasting at the end of a round where they go "Hmmm, I can really taste the star anise and the cloves! Such a bold flavor profile!" would be exposed for the sham it is, because they'd have no clue what anything tasted like except fucking SALT.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I'd love to see these guys in a true blind taste test and their pretentious patrons. I'd also love to see smokers vs. non-smokers in identifying flavors.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2014, 11:33 Pigeon

I whenever I see TV Chefs smoking, it makes me wonder how good their food could actually be. I tend to assume they over season (i.e. a half pound of salt), because that's the only way they can taste stuff.

News Comments > GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming
9. Re: GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming Aug 27, 2014, 14:55 Pigeon

Julio wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 14:21:
Great idea, the current movie selection sucks. Hopefully we see increased selection in the future and I'm in for sure.

Well I certainly wish them the best in their endeavor, but knowing how much the MPAA loves its DRM it's going to be tough for them to get good movies.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 27, 2014, 11:42 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 10:59:
Prez wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 10:16:
Net Neutrality Is 'Marxist,' According to This Koch-Backed Astroturf Group.

I'm usually not too vehement a supporter of either side of an issue anymore, having become largely moderate in my 40's, but wishy-washy is not how I would describe myself. That said, I have rarely been stuck on the fence about an issue as much as I am on Net Neutrality. I hate the idea of un-regulated amoral big corporations having free reign over things, but on the flip-side, I abhor the idea of a corrupt and incompetent government sticking their hands into the internet - they ruin virtually everything they touch.

That's not true at all. Corporations doing government services generally do a much worse job because it all comes down to the bottom line and they cut corners everywhere and anywhere. Safety standards, infrastructure, labour laws, etc. etc. etc. are all thanks to government. They're failing now because the corporations have effectively taken over government and are systematically gutting all these things.

Net-neutrality is Marxist is it? Well so is the military by that rationale so I guess the US will have to dismantle that. And it's an attack on capitalism? The same capitalism that promises competition that results in the best product at the lowest price? That capitalism? The kind that doesn't actually exist because it's really more of a plutocratic oligarchy?

Well, when those sorts of assholes actually get serious about the "free" market then they come talk about what's Marxist and what isn't. Fucking pricks.

Anything that isn't Corporate Capitalism is Marxist. Laws should only exists to protect corporations from the government, private citizens and non-corporate entities. Ferengi Economics at its best.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 26, 2014, 08:47 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 02:02:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 23:38:
They would block my access to Steam completely unless I used a proxy server. I tried several other distribution services like Origin and GoG... same thing was being done. Blocking the connection completely.

Their tech support tried to tell me some shite about my router was the problem because I wasn't renting theirs, my computer was infected, or possibly the site was illegal. I laughed at him.

That's beyond the pale. Imagine if you weren't tech savvy. You might have believed them. This BS is yet again caused by a lack of competition. Instead of ISPs bending over backwards to make sure Steam (or GoG or Origin) are coming through full speed, you have intentional throttling in order to make you buy more services from them. Fuck them.

I just got Comcast (from lack of choice) and so far the service has been good, no steam issues. But I have no doubt they would resort to such measures. Any company that has any amount of internet based business should be against fast lane service. Unless of course they like being extorted for money.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 22, 2014, 11:42 Pigeon

An online service that helps you cheat on your wife/husband has a legal but morally questionable fee; Whaaaaat?!?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: The 10 Worst Wiring Jobs Aug 20, 2014, 13:16 Pigeon

Ratty wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 11:52:
I remember I built a laser in my electronics course for a project. This was before lasers were as common-place as they are now and you either spent hundreds of dollars or built your own. So I got a tube and built a power supply in a large metal case. One of the worst wiring and soldering jobs you have ever seen in your life. When I brought it to the teacher he had one look inside and told me he was afraid to even touch it. The metal case wasn't even grounded. Back then lasers required very high voltages and the case I built could kill.

I got an A on the project - go figure. I actually still have it down in the basement but yes, I am very afraid to ever turn it on again. And I'm still a lousy solderer.

There's definitely an art to wiring, and soldering I imagine. I always try to keep things neat, but accessible. Some of those after pictures look immaculate, but if you ever have to work on any of that stuff it could be a pain to undo some of the wiring. Still better than the rat's nest before pictures though.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 20, 2014, 11:12 Pigeon

Verno wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 10:13:
Blizzard should have told Microsoft their hardware was unacceptable.

From the Article:
"So we worked with them directly, they gave us a code update to let us get to full 1080p."...

...It is believed the code update Microsoft gave Blizzard was related to the new Kinect-disabling developer tools, which turn off Kinect's body-tracking abilities and free up ten per cent of GPU memory.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 19, 2014, 11:20 Pigeon

I think it mostly stems from Microsoft's terrible decisions/PR leading up to the release. Granted they've back-peddled quite a bit, but the damage is done. Sony basically sat back and said, 'You know those things that Microsoft is doing that you don't like? We're not doing those things.' and people loved them for it.

Other contributing factors:
PS4 is more powerful
PS4 was cheaper
PSN+ was a better deal
Xbone had a mandatory spy cam

I don't think games were a huge factor, they both have pretty much the same stuff. Maybe Second Son was more of a draw than Titan Fall, I don't know.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 19, 2014, 10:08 Pigeon

I can only guess this is one of those process patents that uses existing technology in ways it was fully intended to be used and contributes nothing to the use or technology behind the use. I need to patent something that might be done in the future using technologies I haven't contributed to in anyway. Maybe I should patent shooting down threatening astronomic objects like meteoroids, comets and asteroids. That way if we ever have to destroy a potentially apocalyptic catastrophe causing meteor the entire world will owe me money.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2014, 09:30 Pigeon

If only we could charge them fees when they make a mistake.  

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 18, 2014, 11:40 Pigeon

Desalus wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 09:59:
Console peasants? What's that even supposed to mean? There are so many ways one could interpret that.

Designed for console peasants but with the sophistication even the PC bourgeoisie can appreciate.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
6. Re: Saturday Interviews Aug 16, 2014, 14:26 Pigeon

Oooo please say it's a 3rd person cover based squad tactics shooter!!! Or maybe an FPS where you mash the E key to solve puzzles./sarcasm  

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Beta Underway
23. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Beta Underway Aug 14, 2014, 15:22 Pigeon

I hope to see smarter AI. In the GCivII increasing difficulty just gave the AI huge Economic and Production bonuses. Also when they start building stations in my territory I'd like a way to tell the AI to fuck off or learn to exist as a cloud of ionized gas.  

1275 Comments. 64 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo