Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1433 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > WildStar Changes Planned
5. Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 15, 2015, 13:33 Pigeon

SimplyMonk wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 12:47:
Yeah. I think Vanguard suffered from some of the same problems. Well, it suffered from a lot more problems, but still...

People may talk about the "good ol' days of MMORPGs" where you spent 3 days camping a rare mob spawn who dropped the 12th component for a 35 component chain quest that awarded you with some new +10 sword...

They might talk to their guild mates about how epic it was to lead a raid of 40 morons though Molten Core week after week sometimes not downing a single boss or just farming trash to get fire resistance up in order to even have a chance...

People talk about that a lot. Do they ever want to do that shit again? HELL NO. No one does. We did it because that was the only option at the time in a very limited market and most of us were in college. This generation of college gamer doesn't have to grind reputation for weeks on end to see the next big thing in their video game because they have options and can always just go play something else that doesn't suck away their will to live.

Making a MMORPG designed for predated notions of what a HARDCORE MMORPG player is was doomed to fail from the beginning because that player only existed because they had no other options. Playing EQ was suffering, but it was that or UO. There was no Hardcore or Casual. Just pain.

Good to see them realize that.

Yeah there is definitely a lot rose colored glasses going on when people talk about the good ole days of MMOs. I admit there was a level of excitement when you'd finish one of those 35 component chain quests, or get that ultra rare drop after committing genocide against the server population of blue eared goblins, that isn't present in most MMOs now. But there was a whole lot more frustration at not being able to see content because the grind was too painful.

I still get an MMO itch every now and then, but I know there's nothing that can scratch it. My expectations are for an experience that is an idealization based only off the fun I have had in previous MMOs. Obviously not a realistic expectation for several reasons, chief among those is me and my friends being older and having less time to devote to such an endeavor.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > D.I.C.E. Award Nominees
13. Re: D.I.C.E. Award Nominees Jan 14, 2015, 16:54 Pigeon

Flatline wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 16:34:
Talion is an outstanding character?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH... that's a good one. Dude is more generic than BEER branded beer.

http://platinumhomestaging.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/generic.jpg

I've only play SoM from the list, but I get the feeling the other characters are also just different brands of the same great 'broody and stoic' taste.

News Comments > Into the Black
22. Re: Into the Black Jan 14, 2015, 08:44 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 23:19:
...And Anakin just going "Well shit, I'm confused, let me just go murder Jedi children because this dude who both Jedi Masters said was evil told me so."

That bothered me a lot, it was about as subtle as a Mack truck ramming into a pre-school.

'Anakin join the dark side.'
'Hmm, I'd never considered that before, OKAY! Point me towards the children I need to murder.'

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 13, 2015, 09:18 Pigeon

I wonder how much Steam Machine builds were pushed by Valve vs. vendors rushing to build them before there was a hard release date. This isn't the first article that has hinted at vendors being bitter about Steam Machine delays.  

News Comments > Evolve System Specs
14. Re: Evolve System Specs Jan 12, 2015, 14:42 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Jan 12, 2015, 10:26:
Is there a card that actually runs 4K solo?

Not very well. Some of the very top end single cards can eek out sort of playable frames, but for the most part to actually get good FPS you'll need some kind of dual card solution.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2015, 19:12 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 18:45:
Cutter wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 17:00:
And, Woo Packers!

I was watching it on delay, and trust me when I say I loathe the Cowboys, but that overturn on Dez Bryant's catch was god-awful terrible. What the fuck more does a receiver have to do before he's considered to have "made a football move???" He caught the ball, made two steps with it, goes down and only when it hits the ground does it come lose.

NFL Tard Ref "It was determined that ehhh... I dunno either. Overturned!"

Unbelievable. What a horseshit call.

I guess they were saying he never fully had control of the ball? If so seems a pretty tough call, specially to overturn the call on the field. Still, I guess what the refs giveth the refs can taketh away.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jan 11, 2015, 17:33 Pigeon

'It's the fans' fault we released this crap!'

I get what is being said, and to some extent I agree that people buying buggy crap because, OMG IT'S THE NEWEST IN THE SERIES, has its role in these buggy launches. My problem with that explanation is it absolves a lot of responsibility from those with direct control over the situation, developers and publishers.

It's not like the developers are telling fans their games are buggy messes, but they're going to release it against their better judgement because people just want it so much. They have massive marketing/advertising budgets to run up the hype, and stoke the fan-boy flames. They know exactly what they're doing.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2015, 12:49 Pigeon

"I would say the most important thing is that this network and flagship of this company could stand for is, if there was one word, it would be authentic,"

Passing off wild speculation and blatant lies as real isn't authentic? Next thing you know the History channel is going to get rid of their moto, 'Ergo Oportet Quod Sit Aliens'.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2015, 15:06 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 14:14:
How is this sort of false advertising permitted to begin with?

I guess cause they're selling the underwear and not Bieber. Personally I think it's a pretty scummy practice, and the world would be a slightly better place if they didn't do things like that. Bieber aside,they regularly take people who are the 1%ers of attractiveness, and then photo-shop the crap out of them and then present non-reality as obtainable if you'd buy their product and presumably work out 24/7. I think escapism is a perfectly legitimate coping mechanism, but I think when you blur the lines between reality and fantasy it becomes counter productive. /rant

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 9, 2015, 13:49 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 13:02:
Yeah, not gonna count my chickens until the rules are on the books. Still, Wheeler's saying the right things. Also, he's not alone in standing up to the ISPs. Google, MS, Apple, Netflix, etc. are backing him. That's some pretty big muscle to have on your side.

It does have that, 'this is such a big change from previous positions, that we don't believe it.' I'm sure Obama's statement of his position helped, and the responses from the ISPs have been pretty caustic, 'Do exactly as we say OR ELSE.'

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 8, 2015, 09:52 Pigeon

Tech firm Monster sues Beats and founders Dre and Iovine. Can you patent "overpriced?"

Seriously though, this explains a lot.

As for the coach story, well all I can say is moron. He failed to heed some sage internet advice which is, 'if you don't want pictures of your junk on the internet, don't take pictures of your junk and put it on the internet.'

And as much as I dislike most aspects of social media, and the whole everyone needs to know everything about you culture it's creating, this guy has no one but himself to blame.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jan 7, 2015, 11:53 Pigeon

"A Warcraft film should not be about a good race of humans battling an evil race of orcs! Warcraft should be about heroes on both sides trying to avoid a conflict, when villains leave them no choice… I hope that with our film, the audience will get a chance to see past the Horde/Alliance divide and recognize the heroes on BOTH sides!"

Well that's at least an encouraging sign, of course actually delivering is another story.

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2015, 11:13 Pigeon

It's sad but true that Let's Play videos exist in that legal grey area. Oddly enough the videos that have been hit with take down notices, those featuring glitches and bugs, are probably the easiest to defend under fair use.  

News Comments > Retail Broken Age Plans
2. Re: Retail Broken Age Plans Jan 7, 2015, 10:47 Pigeon

Bundy wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 09:54:
I didn't mind Act 1, can't believe how long they're taking to do Act 2. But my main gripe was the difficulty. Point and click adventure games have become stupid easy since the old King's Quest days.

Well to be fair part of the difficultly was fighting with text parsers.

News Comments > $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced
16. Re: $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced Jan 6, 2015, 13:25 Pigeon

theglaze wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 12:41:
Pigeon wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 09:47:
I almost forget creative is still around. I remember when adding a sound card made made a huge difference. Now, unless it's implemented poorly, on-board audio is more than most people need.

I disagree, sound always seems to be the most overlooked element to system building.

If you have +$50 headphones, or frequently use voip, onboard audio IS limiting the quality of the experience

Just like any other component in a system, there should be balance and each component compliment the other. Most people buy mediocre motherboards (~$100) that will generate mediocre sound from mid-range Realtek onboard processing. Maybe the high-end boards with Creative Core, Asus SupremeFX or Realtek ALC1050 sound just as good as a decent dedicated card, but those are only found on +$300 mobos.

Perhaps my advice is falling on deaf ears because most people think Beats are high-end headphones....

ALC 1150 is easily found on MB's that are around $100, or lower w/rebates. I have no doubt a good dedicated card can offer a better audio experience, but you're going to need better headphones/speakers and music that actually benefits from better hardware; streamed pop music isn't going to improve cause it's coming from a $500 dedicated sound card. The gap between dedicated and on-board has narrowed tremendously in the last 10 years.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 6, 2015, 11:34 Pigeon

If it's anything like my Walkman, about $1100 less than the one in the story, the battery won't last for shit (2 days when the device is turned off) and the headphones will have wire problems if used during any activity other than sitting.  

News Comments > $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced
1. Re: $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced Jan 6, 2015, 09:47 Pigeon

I almost forget creative is still around. I remember when adding a sound card made made a huge difference. Now, unless it's implemented poorly, on-board audio is more than most people need.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2015, 09:59 Pigeon

Good games yesterday, specially the Cowboys' game. I usually dislike the Cowboys, but that's mostly due to them getting treated like an elite team, when they've been mediocre way more often than not since 1999. At least now their performance merits the praise they get. Good luck in Greenbay though...  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 4, 2015, 20:06 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Jan 4, 2015, 17:22:
I still haven't done the DLC for Skyrim yet, so yeah, I'm good for yet another playthrough or two still. Until Fallout 4 shows up this year at any rate.

I'll def grab Wolfensteen at some point but yeah, SoM is really effing good.

W2 didn't really grab me, but Shadowrun Berlin Director's Cut is the way to go and DoS as well. Pillars of Eternity better be ready to go in Feb however. They've had more than enough time now.

Been enjoying SoM too. It's maybe not as structured as the Arkham series, but I don't really see that as much of a detraction. It's unfortunate you can't get revenge on caragors, cause they tear me up. Two captains and a mass of underlings no problem, a single caragor and suddenly I'm a squeaky chew toy.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2015, 16:47 Pigeon

The NFL games were fun yesterday, though it's frustrating to get both outcomes wrong after torturing myself over the choices, since it makes me feel like I missed the winners by this much (picture me holding my fingers really close together).

I seconded guessed myself too much yesterday as well, letting the Panther's losing record influence my decision despite them having played well the last several games.

At least I can always count on the Bengals to lose the second they set foot in a play-off game

1433 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo