Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1445 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Jan 21, 2015, 08:44 Pigeon

I'm sure in his mind he imagined himself as a total badass; saving the day getting those people unstuck with his epic driving ability.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Viacom and ESPN Jan 20, 2015, 18:08 Pigeon

I'm surprised they didn't decide to also shout FIRE in the theaters when this movie came and then charge people for another ticket when they try to go back in.  

News Comments > LucasArts Wave II on GOG.com
11. Re: LucasArts Wave II on GOG.com Jan 20, 2015, 13:50 Pigeon

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 13:34:
dj LiTh wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 13:27:
For me it was all about Tie Fighter, i played Xwing and XvT but i didnt enjoy them nearly as much.

They rereleased Tie Fighter back in October. The game is still as awesome as it was 20 years ago.

Of those I do feel TIE is better, basically they improved on X-wing by adding some new features like component targeting, missile load-out, bonus/secret objectives and a host of new ships and mission types. X vs.T was a let down at the time, they scraped the campaigns in favor of an online component; back in the days of dial-up. I think I ended up returning it for several reasons.

I've not played Alliance, so I can't comment on how it compares. Hopefully just as good but with better graphics.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Postmortem
14. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Postmortem Jan 20, 2015, 13:41 Pigeon

nin wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 12:14:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 11:37:
One thing that may need some polish on it was the Nemisis system in terms of player death.

If I'm not mistaken, the less you die the Chiefs don't level up and they remain a lower level. If you die, aka having more difficulty with the game, the chiefs level up making the game even more difficult.

This is correct.

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 11:37:
I think this explained where some thought the game was too easy, while others found it to hard.

Yeah, it's weird, people almost seemed split 50/50 on it. Some folks said it was a breeze, and others had difficulty in parts (I did, but I'm not the most agile player, when it comes to button prompts).

It is odd that as a game mechanic, being good at the game makes the game easier. Early in the game before I had a good grasp on the combat mechanics the nemesis system worked perfectly. Not only did it encourage me to get revenge on the orc that killed me, but it made it harder to do so, in a way forcing you to get better at the game. Then once you get better you have to purposely help the orc captains to level up so you can fight an opponent that that's challenging and gives a worthwhile reward.

SPOILER: The final battle between my mind controlled Warchiefs and the "super" warchiefs was ridiculous as my guys so overpowered the others I might as well have sat back and had a drink. Some kind of level scaling would have made that more of the epic battle it should have been

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 20, 2015, 11:53 Pigeon

The rules are that the purchase must be made between 9AM PT/12PM ET on January 23 and the same time on January 26....

...Also, Sony notes that "some exclusions do apply, including subscriptions for PS Plus, Music Unlimited, PS Now and rental video content." As for the code itself, Sony's Sid Shuman said it'll be published on the PlayStation Blog in a few days' time.

If only they were as good at securing/stabilizing their network as they were at being petty they wouldn't have to issue half-assed apology gifts.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Postmortem
10. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Postmortem Jan 20, 2015, 11:23 Pigeon

I just finished it, and gotta say a great game. If I could make any changes it'd be for more meaningful runes. The only particularity helpful runes were the ones that allowed me to regain health in big battles. Maybe a few more side quests that have more of an impact on the game.  

4. Re: Into the Black Jan 19, 2015, 18:55 Pigeon

A little less than 24 days for me. Well I did want to work through my backlog of games, I guess I could just take a month's worth of PTO to play through everything.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2015, 11:09 Pigeon

Verno wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 10:05:
Green Bay falling apart in the 4th quarter was heart breaking, I don't care for the Seahawks. Be interested to see how they do with 2 of their biggest defensive performers potentially out with injuries. New England was ruthless, they were still playing Brady long past it being necessary. Belichick is a dick haha.

Maybe the Packers should have been ruthless too. While it may seem like a dick move, there's something to be said for not relenting even if it appears you have the game in hand. The other team doesn't get to the conference championship because they suck.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
6. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 19, 2015, 09:24 Pigeon

What a terrible lazy article. The guy wrote like three sentences, and rest is just copy pasted responses from Reddit. The original question isn't even about why people do it, it's about who has noticed. I guess this explains why of the responses he pasted in only one relates to the title of the article.  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2015, 23:03 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 18:33:
Unfucking real. Well that was the Packers to lose. Way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. So long as they don't win the Superbowl I'll take small consolation in that. I so hate seeing those fucking clowns praying on the field. Right, because a god has nothing better to do than to decide the outcome of a football game. Rolleyes

Seriously WTF happened. Green Bay looked like it had the game in hand, I take 15 minute trip in my car turn on the TV and see the SeaHawks going crazy and Rodgers on the sideline shaking his head...

News Comments > MS: Windows 10 "Best" OS Ever Created for Gamers
31. Re: MS: Windows 10 Jan 16, 2015, 11:34 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 11:19:
Love how they lump in PC gamers with phone games. Rolleyes

That's probably the most telling statement. They are determined to put that square block into the round hole. I think 8/8.1 hooks up to the xbox store or something. I briefly poked around in it, but there were too many roadblocks when I was just trying to play a game of solitaire.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2015, 14:32 Pigeon

Jivaro wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 12:50:
...I just found the writing to be very poor...

You make it sound as though unobtainium wasn't a product of literary genius. The visuals were good, but the writing had the depth of a desert puddle.

The best thing about that movie was that teaser trailer where it starts off on earth doing some time lapsy montage thing and then pans out into space with some epic music and text that leaves you with a sense of mystery and intrigue. Yeah still waiting for that movie to come out...

News Comments > WildStar Changes Planned
5. Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 15, 2015, 13:33 Pigeon

SimplyMonk wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 12:47:
Yeah. I think Vanguard suffered from some of the same problems. Well, it suffered from a lot more problems, but still...

People may talk about the "good ol' days of MMORPGs" where you spent 3 days camping a rare mob spawn who dropped the 12th component for a 35 component chain quest that awarded you with some new +10 sword...

They might talk to their guild mates about how epic it was to lead a raid of 40 morons though Molten Core week after week sometimes not downing a single boss or just farming trash to get fire resistance up in order to even have a chance...

People talk about that a lot. Do they ever want to do that shit again? HELL NO. No one does. We did it because that was the only option at the time in a very limited market and most of us were in college. This generation of college gamer doesn't have to grind reputation for weeks on end to see the next big thing in their video game because they have options and can always just go play something else that doesn't suck away their will to live.

Making a MMORPG designed for predated notions of what a HARDCORE MMORPG player is was doomed to fail from the beginning because that player only existed because they had no other options. Playing EQ was suffering, but it was that or UO. There was no Hardcore or Casual. Just pain.

Good to see them realize that.

Yeah there is definitely a lot rose colored glasses going on when people talk about the good ole days of MMOs. I admit there was a level of excitement when you'd finish one of those 35 component chain quests, or get that ultra rare drop after committing genocide against the server population of blue eared goblins, that isn't present in most MMOs now. But there was a whole lot more frustration at not being able to see content because the grind was too painful.

I still get an MMO itch every now and then, but I know there's nothing that can scratch it. My expectations are for an experience that is an idealization based only off the fun I have had in previous MMOs. Obviously not a realistic expectation for several reasons, chief among those is me and my friends being older and having less time to devote to such an endeavor.

News Comments > D.I.C.E. Award Nominees
13. Re: D.I.C.E. Award Nominees Jan 14, 2015, 16:54 Pigeon

Flatline wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 16:34:
Talion is an outstanding character?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH... that's a good one. Dude is more generic than BEER branded beer.

http://platinumhomestaging.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/generic.jpg

I've only play SoM from the list, but I get the feeling the other characters are also just different brands of the same great 'broody and stoic' taste.

22. Re: Into the Black Jan 14, 2015, 08:44 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 23:19:
...And Anakin just going "Well shit, I'm confused, let me just go murder Jedi children because this dude who both Jedi Masters said was evil told me so."

That bothered me a lot, it was about as subtle as a Mack truck ramming into a pre-school.

'Anakin join the dark side.'
'Hmm, I'd never considered that before, OKAY! Point me towards the children I need to murder.'

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 13, 2015, 09:18 Pigeon

I wonder how much Steam Machine builds were pushed by Valve vs. vendors rushing to build them before there was a hard release date. This isn't the first article that has hinted at vendors being bitter about Steam Machine delays.  

News Comments > Evolve System Specs
14. Re: Evolve System Specs Jan 12, 2015, 14:42 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Jan 12, 2015, 10:26:
Is there a card that actually runs 4K solo?

Not very well. Some of the very top end single cards can eek out sort of playable frames, but for the most part to actually get good FPS you'll need some kind of dual card solution.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2015, 19:12 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 18:45:
Cutter wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 17:00:
And, Woo Packers!

I was watching it on delay, and trust me when I say I loathe the Cowboys, but that overturn on Dez Bryant's catch was god-awful terrible. What the fuck more does a receiver have to do before he's considered to have "made a football move???" He caught the ball, made two steps with it, goes down and only when it hits the ground does it come lose.

NFL Tard Ref "It was determined that ehhh... I dunno either. Overturned!"

Unbelievable. What a horseshit call.

I guess they were saying he never fully had control of the ball? If so seems a pretty tough call, specially to overturn the call on the field. Still, I guess what the refs giveth the refs can taketh away.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jan 11, 2015, 17:33 Pigeon

'It's the fans' fault we released this crap!'

I get what is being said, and to some extent I agree that people buying buggy crap because, OMG IT'S THE NEWEST IN THE SERIES, has its role in these buggy launches. My problem with that explanation is it absolves a lot of responsibility from those with direct control over the situation, developers and publishers.

It's not like the developers are telling fans their games are buggy messes, but they're going to release it against their better judgement because people just want it so much. They have massive marketing/advertising budgets to run up the hype, and stoke the fan-boy flames. They know exactly what they're doing.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2015, 12:49 Pigeon

"I would say the most important thing is that this network and flagship of this company could stand for is, if there was one word, it would be authentic,"

Passing off wild speculation and blatant lies as real isn't authentic? Next thing you know the History channel is going to get rid of their moto, 'Ergo Oportet Quod Sit Aliens'.

1445 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo