Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1164 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Game of Thrones series 4 finale sets new online piracy record Jun 17, 2014, 11:55 Pigeon

Which basically says you've got content people want but they can't get legally without a lot of hassle and/or without paying significantly more than they are willing. I'm not condoning piracy, but when you see this much of it there's a problem on the supply side.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Countdown
10. Re: Team Fortress 2 Countdown Jun 17, 2014, 11:29 Pigeon

I can have a hard time finding servers where the teams aren't consistently lopsided. I don't mind losing, but I don't like getting rolled because the other team can hit the ass of a gnat from two miles away, and my team keeps trying to hug enemy turrets, and not the kind of hugs spies give turrets. I don't particularly like being on the team that does the rolling either. But I guess that's a problem with most games like this.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 17, 2014, 10:04 Pigeon

AT&T Warns Wireless Customers Personal Info Exposed, customers charged personal information exposure warning fee.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 16, 2014, 23:08 Pigeon

Maybe we'll get something as precise as 'I know it when I see it'  

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 15:46 Pigeon

nin wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 15:29:
DangerDog wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 15:23:
How about Comcast forcing you to "share" the internet connection you've paid for and using your electricity so their so called customers can have wi-fi access from you as a collective hot-spot.

Pretty sure you can opt out of that.

If memory serves correctly you can, but you have to know its there to opt out, and some how I doubt Comcast is presenting it as an option.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 14:44 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 14:21:

Second, you have to micro-transaction absolutely EVERYTHING. Not just pay-to-win shit, no, EVERYTHING. Want to change your keybindings? That'll be 5 bucks for the "Keybinder Unlock." Want to be able to quicksave? Ten bucks for the "Quicksave Unlock."

Fun bonus, every time you get an achievement, your credit card (which you have to provide before being allowed to install the game) gets charged three bucks, which shows up on your bill as "Administrative fees for processing an Achievement."

Ssh, don't give EA any ideas

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 16, 2014, 11:57 Pigeon

That's right send C&D letters to a fan who is essentially encouraging people to shop at your stores by highlighting the fun things that can be done with your crappy furniture. Yeah she's making add revenue, but its not like she's making money selling furniture as IKEA. Hopefully Self Assemble Furniture Hacks domain name isn't taken.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
20. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 16, 2014, 08:51 Pigeon

Denthor wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 01:15:
The idea of channels (since you guys are discussing it) needs to change or even die. We don't need whole channels when they just produce a few good shows and the rest are not. We can now push a button to watch what we want to, unlike 20th century technology. It's more efficient this way too. Networks might become more like publishers in the future where they back certain shows that we buy or select, etc.. Who knows but I do know we need to allow the market to change and not support the status quo.

This sums it up nicely. It's just a refusal to evolve. By not evolving they just open the door to competitors like netflix and amazon.

Having just said that they are evolving just not the way we want. Double dipping on traffic, abolishing net neutrality, its like they are building a saftey net for the inevitable cable tv crash comes.

It's the same issue as it is/was with the RIAA/Music industry, they see new technology and distribution methods as a threat to their business model instead of an opportunity to reach more customers. So instead of adapting they litigated and obstructed. They've more or less been dragged into the 21st century, but not without leaving a trail of claw marks that go back to 1997. IMO the digital music market is still less than ideal due to record industry fuckery.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 8
6. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 8 Jun 14, 2014, 21:26 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 17:24:
Axis wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 15:28:
I wasn't impressed with BF4 at all, but something about the new Hardline is immensely fun and satisfying even if I'm stating so within the honeymoon period of beta.

That's interesting. Someone posted the exact opposite the other day. Good to hear an alternative.

The No Man's Sky trailer was the most impressive, IMO.

Yeah that trailer certainly had the aesthetics that left you wanting more. Hopefully the rest of the game can deliver.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2014, 09:35 Pigeon

Well can't beat a free try, even if its just in Alpha.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 11, 2014, 14:35 Pigeon

Verno wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 14:24:
I already pretty much subscribe for the old Star Trek stuff, more is always good. Although for the life of me I don't know what people see in Deep Space 9.

Overall I liked DS9, but it could get very boring at times; often the episodes that focused on the Bajorans. 'We are here to pray at the celestial temple to gain enlightenm...ZZzzZZzzzzzz ::ENDING CREDITS::'

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jun 11, 2014, 10:14 Pigeon

I can't speak for the rest of the western world outside of the US, but this one of the weirdest things about our society. Some pretty extreme violence is okay, but sex in media is the worst thing ever. We can watch hours of football players bash the crap out of each other and call it wholesome family entertainment, but half a second of Janet Jackson's nipple and the whole country loses its shit.

Or in the case of Mass Effect whole planets can get horrifically murdered and mutilated by a race of malevolent techno-organic beings, but you have a short scene where two of the characters make alien love and you've got pundits on FOX frothing at the mouth because the youth is being poisoned with immoral filth.

I sometimes think its because it's easier for governments and religions to use violence to their own gains than it is for them to use sex.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 11, 2014, 09:30 Pigeon

They've been talking about a new Star Trek series for years, so I'm not holding my breath, but it would be pretty cool if this did happen.  

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials
24. Re: Diablo III Patch Ditches Legendary Crafting Materials Jun 11, 2014, 08:48 Pigeon

Luke wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 07:45:
InBlack wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 04:07:
dj LiTh wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 20:10:
Hey guys, honest question. I cant for the life of me enjoy this game because i dont see the point of getting better gear....just to get better gear? And i really really do love ARPG's, but D3 it just seems so pointless to me? Can you guys share your experience with me on why you play this as opposed to (any) other ARPG's?

You are right, after a while it kind of loses its lustre. Playing on hardcore is where the fun is at for me. The challenge is staying alive and getting to higher and higher tiers of difficulty. Im at Act3 with my Barb ATM but I quit playing about two weeks ago. You are right, there is very little motivation at the moment. This will change for the better hopefully once they release ladder and add ladder only items and some kind of ranking system etc.

I spent a lot more time in D2 hanging out in games, talking to people, hanging out in the various chat rooms, trading than I did gaming. This was a good thing. It provided a much needed break from the grind and allowed the meta game to flourish. No one has any desire in D3 public games to do any socializing, all they want to do is run rifts as fast as possible. Kind of sad if you ask me....

No one has any desire in D3 public games to do any socializing, all they want to do is run rifts as fast as possible. Kind of sad if you ask me....

It "kind of " started with WOW from one day to another peps stopped talking to each other , it was all about getting the daily's done...
Book

That's the problem with offering rewards based on running a dungeon 80 bajjillion times. Any MMO I've played lately has been like that, its a cheap way of stretching the content.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Jun 10, 2014, 23:03 Pigeon

NKD wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 15:23:
Pigeon wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 15:05:

Ya'll are unnecessarily clouding the issue. Yes there will always be people that complain no matter how good a game is, or have unrealistic expectations. Yes there's subjectivity involved, but that doesn't mean you can't tell what's unreasonable and what isn't. It'd be like looking at a color palette and saying I can't tell at what point red turns to purple, so I'm going to pretend neither color exists.

It's more like saying I can't tell at what point red turns to purple, so I'm going to leave it up to individual's own eyes to determine for themselves, and not try to enact some arbitrary rules about what's red and what's purple, maybe creating a new bureaucratic agency to handle it.

I don't see why people here have such a hard time accepting the idea that game publishers HAVE NO LEVERAGE ON YOU. You can live without their games. You can withhold your money. If enough people refuse to buy a title, that studio is shut down within 6 months and they don't do that shit again.

If you're repeatedly giving your money to EA or whatever other publisher you despise, and then crying that you need to be protected by Valve, the government, or the Easter Bunny, while still handing more money over... well, we have a word for people like that.

Rules and regulations are there to stop people from being victimized by heartless corporations, not to stop people from victimizing themselves.

And this is why I'm saying y'all are clouding the argument because you keep trying to direct the discussion towards that line where its hard to tell if its a design flaw or just not fun. Lets be clear, the article was about stuff like SimCity being unplayable, Battlefield 4 shipping with game breaking bugs, and EA's attempts at price fixing. These things were mentioned directly in the article. Its not about Diablo 3 being a huge disappointment because it failed to meet expectations, its about Diablo 3 not working at launch because the servers can't handle the load from people mostly trying to play a single player game.

(This is not fully directed at you NKD, but other comments that have been made) I seriously don't understand why y'all have an issue with even the suggestion these companies should be held to a higher standard. Because Cutter briefly mentioned that there should be some basic consumer protections when you buy something that flat out doesn't work?

Y'all talk about voting with your wallet, and bemoan we only get these kinds of games because we still buy them; but when there's an article that basically says we really should expect more from a multi-billion dollar industry y'all turn your noses up at it and spout something about the free-market.

Yes people need to express their discontent with their wallets, they also need to make some noise; companies need to know why. Otherwise they'll think people don't like SimCity games anymore. No people love SimCity games, they don't like SimCity games that promise all kinds of awesome features and turn out to be a steaming turd that barely works.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jun 10, 2014, 15:05 Pigeon

Beamer wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 14:14:
The problem with applying all this to code is how do you define "works?"

It's the same problem I have with people irate over unfinished Early Access. How do you define "finished." If a developer just slaps "V1.0" behind a game, it's finished. It's release. Yeah, there may be bugs, but show me a single game ever made without bugs. Yeah, it may not have all the features, but virtually every game has had features cut in the final months of release.

It's easy to say when something doesn't work, like SimCity during its first (week? weeks? I don't even know), but that's the exception. Nearly every single other game "works" at release.

I just can't come up with a way to write a rule/law that clearly covers everything. Fallout 3 arguably didn't have an ending, does that count? Some games have show-stopping bugs that impact 10% or so of play-throughs, do those count? The Thing touted a trust/fear system but Thing changes were entirely scripted and mooted that entire "feature," did that count?

You can objective tell if a book works - you can either read it or you can't. You can objectively tell if a movie works. You can objectively tell if a blender or microwave works. Automobiles are more difficult, but there are ways to do it based on repairs needed.

Software? Much harder.

Ya'll are unnecessarily clouding the issue. Yes there will always be people that complain no matter how good a game is, or have unrealistic expectations. Yes there's subjectivity involved, but that doesn't mean you can't tell what's unreasonable and what isn't. It'd be like looking at a color palette and saying I can't tell at what point red turns to purple, so I'm going to pretend neither color exists.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jun 10, 2014, 08:39 Pigeon

I'm surprised those kids didn't get hauled away by the cops. Honesty and good intentions can get you into a lot of trouble  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 10, 2014, 08:32 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 03:10:
mag wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 23:04:
Verizon will miss deadline to wire all of New York City with FiOS.

Duuuuh.

Netflix got worse on Verizon even after Netflix agreed to pay Verizon.

DUUUUUUUUH.

Yeah, Verizon is the poster boy for heavy ISP regulation and reclassification as public utility. It's ridiculous how much they charge for how little they do.

mag wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 23:04:
Close to half of all U.S. households subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime or Hulu Plus.

This is... actually pretty surprising.

On the other hand, who CAN'T afford $8/month? (Well some people, sure, but it's a lot less than 50%.)

Compared to cable TV even having all 3 of those is an awesome deal.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
6. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Jun 9, 2014, 15:45 Pigeon

NKD wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 10:01:
Frijoles wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 09:48:
Wildstar has the worst spam of any MMO I've ever played. And I played ESO, so that's saying a lot. No way that I can see to easily report spammers, either (needs a right-click option in my mail). I kind of wonder why MMOs aren't able to more easily ban spam. Seems like it'd be an easy problem to solve (this email just went to 50 people and has a URL in it, better flag it for review).

I'm not sure why we see so much spam in Wildstar. Their automated bans for gold spam are EXTREMELY aggressive (to the point of causing a significant number of false positives when people set off triggers while merely DISCUSSING gold spam in zone chat), why can't they filter it out at the same time?

I don't understand why MMOs in general don't make an easy ignore/report feature. I remember being astounded with FFXIV how hard they made it to report spammers, bots and cheaters, which entailed being able to remember the random string of letters spammers tend to have for names then navigating through an unfriendly report UI.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Jun 9, 2014, 11:50 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 11:27:
Classy. Make millions of bucks off selling an incomplete version of Minecraft, which took roughly five years to actually reach an actual release candidate, then complain at the other guys doing the same thing?

I agree that SOME early access games are a scam, and some are released as nothing but a few rudimentary ideas, but there are also plenty of early access games that are released in roughly the same state as Minecraft was.

The Age of Notch is passing.

I saw a quote from him explaining it was mostly a jab at 'minimal effort' early release green-light games, but he also acknowledges the inherent hypocrisy seeing as mine-craft was an early access game for years.

Frankly my take away from it is, if you're doing early access release something people would want to access early.

1164 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo