Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1492 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 3, 2015, 15:19 Pigeon

"When Congress last year regrettably removed the requirement that cable company services be compatible with set-top boxes purchased in the marketplace rather than rented directly from the provider, we doomed consumers to being captive to cable company rental fees forever."

I wasn't even aware it was an option to buy a set-top box. I bought my cable modem, pretty sure it took less than 6 months for that to pay for itself in would be rental fees. The fees are pretty ridiculous when you consider you can buy a brand new modem twice a year for the same price.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
15. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 2, 2015, 17:00 Pigeon

Frijoles wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 16:51:
wtf_man wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 14:08:
Don't sign in with a microsoft account. Better yet... don't even create one.

I fucked up yesterday and did this. After creating a local account I wanted to check out this super-fast version of Minecraft for Windows 10. So I sign in to the store via my Live account to grab it. Step away from computer for a few minutes and it locks. Come back and it wants my Live account password to unlock the screen, which is a randomized 24 character string that I don't know (I copy/paste it from the vault). Motherfuck. Stupid thing switched from local account to online account. Ended up having to go in to work just to open my vault and get the password. Stupid fucking thing. Lesson learned though. Avoid the store at all costs.

I made that mistake when I was using 8.1, tried to check out the store, ended up making a M$ account and like you was swiftly punished for it. Maybe if their store wasn't like stepping into the Pulp Fiction pawn shop people would use it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 14:54 Pigeon

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 13:48:
"I can't quite put my finger on why we stubbornly make this such a dramatic decision around here."

Lol, true.

I think we all have those kinda of self imposed principles. It always seems like a personal defeat when the reality of the situation trumps those principles. I usually don't notice mine till something throws a wrench into the works.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2015, 13:59 Pigeon

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 1, 2015, 12:57:
Rowdy Roddy Piper died? Damn, They Live is one of my favorite movies all time, and he was great in that. He was also pretty damned awesome in his few appearances on It's Always Sunny in Philaelphia... an underrated actor for sure. I have never been into pro wrestling but I always respected their athletic ability. It must be a ton of damage to the body though.

No doubt it's though on their bodies, from the physical punishment to the substances they used, I don't think we'll see too many living into old age. I'd suspect a lot of those guys from 1980's that inspired us to give our siblings concussions after an attempted take down from the top rope (aka the dresser) are going to start dropping off at a faster rate.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Forcing Windows 10 update Jul 31, 2015, 16:37 Pigeon

ForgedReality wrote on Jul 31, 2015, 12:38:
Pigeon wrote on Jul 31, 2015, 10:24:
The tool they mentioned from Microsoft worked well for me, seems less hassle than the manual method. I also went the clean install route, which involved upgrading first, verifying that my key had been registered as "genuine", copying down the new key, and then doing the 'clean install from a USB method'. I did notice with the delete everything upgrade choice there were still some files in my base c:\, and I suspect some of the old win 8 drivers were reused. I didn't do anymore digging to see what, if anything else, was left behind.

So far so good, only issue I'm having is firefox crashing when I open a newtab (ctrl+t). If I change the behavior to display a blank page or my home page it works. If I start firefox in safe-mode (firefox's safe-mode) it works. Having addons installed doesn't seem to effect it either way. I'll try to suss out what's going on more later today. Any insights are welcome though.

Set your homepage to http://www.google.com

Turning off hardware acceleration seemed to fix the problem; I don't know why I didn't try that first, it seems to solve a lot of problems with Firefox... I actually like the frequently visited sites tab, slightly more convenient than using bookmarks.

5. Re: Forcing Windows 10 update Jul 31, 2015, 10:24 Pigeon

The tool they mentioned from Microsoft worked well for me, seems less hassle than the manual method. I also went the clean install route, which involved upgrading first, verifying that my key had been registered as "genuine", copying down the new key, and then doing the 'clean install from a USB method'. I did notice with the delete everything upgrade choice there were still some files in my base c:\, and I suspect some of the old win 8 drivers were reused. I didn't do anymore digging to see what, if anything else, was left behind.

So far so good, only issue I'm having is firefox crashing when I open a newtab (ctrl+t). If I change the behavior to display a blank page or my home page it works. If I start firefox in safe-mode (firefox's safe-mode) it works. Having addons installed doesn't seem to effect it either way. I'll try to suss out what's going on more later today. Any insights are welcome though.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2015, 13:29 Pigeon

Blue wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 09:57:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 09:52:
Looks like the clean install is still kinda messy.
I don't understand why is it so hard to put an option into the installation menu to do a clean install.

Agreed. MS used to be friendly to this, just requiring you insert the disks for qualifying products to do a clean install of an upgrade. I found this changed with Windows 7, however, as I was told by MS tech support that getting it to actually do a clean install from an upgrade disk was not possible. I was finally able to find a registry hack to allow this anyway, but it made me feel like a pirate just doing a clean install of an upgrade for which I paid. Not cool.

I was hoping for a better clean install option too. I'll still go through the process, but I won't be happy about it .

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 28, 2015, 20:57 Pigeon

DangerDog wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 20:26:
Haven't bothered with Windows 10 preview but the Start menu looks like complete crap to me. I'll be installing StartIsBack++ when I decide to upgrade to 10.

I'm surprised they didn't integrate "live tiles" into the desktop background with no way of removing them.

Not particularly impressed either. I'm not sure why so many tech journalists gush over it. Really the same thing happened with windows 8 too, until the reaction from actual users was overwhelmingly negative. Why would I want a user interface that emphasizes all the extraneous information by turning it into big blocky colored "tiles"? Yeah it might not be bad for touch devices where you have to stab at things thing with your sausage fingers, but it's nothing but a nuisance with a keyboard and mouse environment. The GUI is there to assist you with getting at the programs and files you need, not be some showy spectacle. I'm not saying a GUI can't look nice, but the design should aid its primary function, as opposed to hinder it the way win 8's did.

I'll give the Win 10 GUI a few days to see if it's just an initial visceral reaction to something different, or if it's actually a hindrance to me. I know only took a few hours with 8.1 before I was downloaidng classic shell .

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 27, 2015, 21:17 Pigeon

The Apple product nobody cares about to be sold at the store nobody goes to anymore.  

News Comments > Win10 Gamer Primer
9. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 10:11 Pigeon

Anyone know if you'll be able to do a full (free) install as opposed to an upgrade? Most of my files are already on a back-up drive, and I don't have much for programs with the exception for games; so all else being equal I'd rather do a fresh install than a back-up.  

News Comments > KOTOR 2 Patched; OS X & Linux Support Added
8. Re: KOTOR 2 Patched; OS X & Linux Support Added Jul 21, 2015, 19:51 Pigeon

Actually just finished playing this a few weeks ago. The restored content is kind of a most, and I believe also fixes a number of bugs. It's kind of amazing how much they cut, and even with the restored content there are some storylines that don't really go anywhere. Still a fun game nonetheless.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2015, 16:35 Pigeon

bhcompy wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 13:11:
Axis wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 10:35:
I've not found any reason to choose anything other than Firefox with noscript for the last 10 years or so.

And speed? That's pretty funny... apparently Microsoft is still developing for 1990s.

I use Firefox because it has the best noscript implementation, but let's not pretend they ever fixed their memory leak issues or that its rendering engine could be significantly improve. Speed matters. My corporate laptop is encrypted and 5 years old, loaded to the brim with corporate bullshiat. An efficient browser is a good thing to have, unfortunately with no extensions it's useless.

Noscript is very nice. I've noticed over the last several years more and more sites tie the content to the scripts, so unless you allow everything the content doesn't show up or isn't displayed properly. Usually I don't bother with sites when that's the case.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2015, 11:47 Pigeon

I bought a stand alone mp3 player (not an ipod) for jogging/exercise. It's much smaller and lighter than my phone so it's not slapping around in my pocket when running, plus the controls make it easier to operate with out looking at it.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2015, 13:30 Pigeon

I use whatever gets the job done. With the microwave I'll often put a damp paper towel over or around what I'm reheating to help speed up and even out the process. Microwaves work by exciting water molecules, so it can be easy to lose a lot of water in the form of steam when cooking, which might leave the item tough and rubbery. Iíll often use the microwave to mostly reheat something then finish it in the toaster oven. Works well for things where you want a crispy, not burnt, outside with moist inside.  

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Jul 15, 2015, 23:01 Pigeon

It's amazing how people can support using hundreds of millions in public money to help billionaires pay for a stadium, in which they'll have the privilege to pay more money so they can watch millionaires will play a game. But someone on food stamps buys a steak and they want to drag that person through the streets while beating them with rolled up yoga mats. Priorities, we got 'em!  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 15, 2015, 20:49 Pigeon

Just wait till it hits the casual gaming scene; Clash of Vaginas coming soon all over iOS and android.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2015, 11:29 Pigeon

Frags4Fun wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 10:39:
Wallshadows wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 09:49:
New Horizon travelled 10 years and 3 billion miles to get as close as it did to Pluto and I slept over the press conference. There should be another one to showcase the images it took since there is a 12 hour lag between the probe and Earth.

Are you referring to one of the links? I'm so confused. I'm also interested to know more about New Horizon so off to Google I go.

Unfortunately as I understand it we'll have to wait till late 2016 for all the data to get back. Apparently the download rate is something like 2kbps. I imagine some pictures will take priority, but it's going to take some time before we get the full breadth of data the probe has collected.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Map Pack DLC & Mod Support
4. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Map Pack DLC & Mod Support Jul 10, 2015, 08:43 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 00:00:
Map packs for Gal Civ? Aren't all the maps procedural? Or are these hand-crafted scenarios?

The procedurally designed maps have a level of randomness to them, so if your starting planet happens to be closer to more/better planets than the other races you have a pretty big advantage. I assume the set maps are balanced.

News Comments > New AMD Catalyst Drivers
12. Re: New AMD Catalyst Drivers Jul 9, 2015, 08:49 Pigeon

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 05:21:
Well for anyone looking performance wise on this, the drivers are excellent, solid, and stable on my 7950 on Win10. It also seems to have fixed the annoying screenflicker/refresh problem that's been in the last couple of win10 builds.

Temperature management seems to be a hell of a lot better compared to the previous WHQL and beta drivers as well, only playing metro:LL but seemed to have picked up 3-5fps in that over the previous beta drivers.

Good to hear. Have you noticed if the aspect ratio controls work for games? It's really convenient for playing older games, but it seems to break every time I install new drivers. I end up having to boot into safe mode and use a driver uninstaller to strip every last remnant of the old drivers before the new ones will install properly.

News Comments > AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations
22. Re: AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations Jul 6, 2015, 23:12 Pigeon

Well that explains why Mantle never seemed to do much for my card. Pretty shit move considering they boast about Mantle support, but can't be bothered to make it so the cards don't run worse on Mantle.  

1492 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo