Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Tampa, FL 10/09
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1543 (Pro)
User ID 18068
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
12. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 8, 2015, 08:30 Pigeon
rist3903 wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 08:22:
mag wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 19:05:
siapnar wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 19:02:
Oh man that Mac n Cheese kid made my day. Such drama, served hot n cheesy

Parents probably spoiled him rotten

This whole news cycle is making me super hungry for mac n' cheese.
That must be some fantastic bacon jalapeńo mac and cheese. I hope they post the recipe!

They did, check the end of the article
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 6, 2015, 08:50 Pigeon
jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 02:28:
El Pit wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 02:03:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 23:20:
13 year olds do die of natural causes, but it's pretty unusual. I hope the police are looking hard at this.

Also, she announces his death in Showcard Gothic font??? What the fuck?

They also put a link to their merchandise right under the announcement of the death of their son...

Wow. Shameless. I hope this isn't a case of Munchausen syndrome by proxy. If so, those other kids could be in danger.

There's a few red flags for sure. Hopefully it's getting the attention it deserves.
News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 5, 2015, 08:28 Pigeon
jimnms wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 04:24:
saluk wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 17:10:
Ooo boy, can't wait to see the conspiracy nuts open up this pandora's box.

It takes a long time to photo shop 8400 photos.

Yes, yes it does. It takes slightly over 40 years... Beam
News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Back on Sale This Month
9. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Back on Sale This Month Oct 2, 2015, 13:14 Pigeon
I would like to eventually play this game so I'm glad they're fixing it, but I certainly feel no urgency to get it. Maybe come the steam Christmas sale I'll pick it up.  
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 12:57 Pigeon
ZeroPike1 wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 12:00:
Ohh no, there is an Agenda in the US. The Corporate Bottom Line Agenda. Expensive internet with no choices. IT support looked at like its half un-needed and unfunded with-in a company. The idea that changing your password on an aging windows-PC with sluggish hardware every month is the penultimate in corporate security.

The same reason Chip&Pin Credit Cards took so long to get in. The Digital Agenda, the people decide is not important. The ones who do, the ones who love the Digital age and all its chances at business are ruled by last generation CEO's and Politicians who's only daily tech use is there cell phones for phone call's.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts when reading the article. Our government's agenda is let private enterprise handle it and give them public money to expand infrastructure, but not hold them accountable to actually doing it.
News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 1, 2015, 21:05 Pigeon
Seems like an awesome idea, and as said, something straight out of star-trek. I personally hate shaving as my skin seems to irritate easily, and I have a few areas where the whiskers resist being cut. In fact the only thing worse than shaving is not shaving; once my beard hits that itchy phase I want to claw my own face off... So any technology that promises to make that particular facet of my life better, I'm all for... but not enough to give a $190 pledge. Plus I'd rather wait till other people use it for awhile and see if they get skin cancer or develop an ever-present odor of burning hair.  
News Comments > Star Citizen's $900 Ship
94. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 14:49 Pigeon
In 2123 when Star Citizen is finally released we'll realize much too late it's actually the code name for robotic war machine Chris Roberts' has uploaded his consciousness into.  
News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2015, 10:35 Pigeon
Fatal design flaw, AKA the car started when an asshole got behind the wheel.  
News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 30, 2015, 08:31 Pigeon
Volkswagen’s CEO did not detail what technical fixes would be involved in the refit, but he said that the plan would be submitted to the relevant authorities in October for approval.

Oh, so they're going to try bribery this time?
13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 16:51 Pigeon
Cutter wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 16:01:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 13:56:
I'd be interested to hear what and how others brew it to. I use a drip brewer with a gold plated filter, and grind my own daily. Right now I have Columbian 100% Arabica medium roast, but I sometimes drink Kona or Kauai peaberry, which is amazing. I'm thinking of switching to a percolater though.

I'm like Prof, I use a Bodum for regular coffee. I'm not a huge coffee guy - as I mainly drink tea - so I generally just go with Starbucks Pike Place - and it's always a good deal at Costco. At Xmas and maybe once or twice a year I'll splurge on some Kona or Guatemalan. There's a little specialty coffee store about 1/2 hour from where I live and they have decent prices on that stuff. I love Kona best but it's just too damn pricy for everyday coffee.

Most of the time I use K-cups since that's the easiest/best option at the office . I have found a brand I like that uses a more environmentally friendly design, and IMO makes the coffee taste better (no plastic so no plastic taste in the coffee). On the weekends I grind beans and throw them in a drip coffee maker. A coffee snob by some people's standards, and a rock banging troglodyte by others.
News Comments > WildStar Free-to-Play Launches
17. Re: WildStar Free-to-Play Launches Sep 29, 2015, 14:31 Pigeon
Played this in the F2P beta, found it enjoyable, but the questing often left me wondering why i was supposed to care. I enjoyed exploring though, and they add enough sub-quests to reward you for it.  
10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2015, 13:57 Pigeon
Wallshadows wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 12:02:
descender wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 10:08:
Water existing on Mars is extremely important, but not in the "there might be life" sense of things. If it's already there and can be extracted from the soil then they won't need to haul tons of water to Mars to establish a colony. One of the largest obstacles to establishing a Mars colony will be getting all of the necessary materials there to support life. Now one of those materials is already on Mars.

It will be interesting to see if they can locate any actual useable liquid on the surface. Something tells me it there will be lots of mining/melting to do to put the water to any good use.

It's probably safer to drink than the water in Mexico though.

Well if you caught a parasitic infection from drinking Martian water you'd have made a massive discovery. As far as I understand martian soil is laced with perchlorates, which keeps water liquid at lower temperatures, gives better chances for there being microbial life, and is quite hazardous to human biology.
4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2015, 13:11 Pigeon
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 12:36:
Wow, nice picking in our pick 'em league -- 13 of 14 by Radman and Pigeon. I got the "upset" pick on Philly, but missed on the Browns, Ravens and Chargers. I can live with that.

Yeah pretty happy with the results this week, specially since I did so poorly last week. I thought the Jets' Defense would keep them in the game, but 4 turn overs is tough. And my home team won this week, so I can at least expect to see them win against bad teams a few more times this season .
News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 26, 2015, 16:48 Pigeon
Meanwhile Comcast is raising the prices for everyone else. What really gets me is the pricing structure; 3Mbps for $40, and 50Mbps for $67. Talk about a fuck you to anyone trying to be budget conscious. Actually looking at my last bill they're getting rid of 3Mbps tier, so the next lowest is 6Mbps at $50.

Anyways, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy's new price is only limited time offer and then after it's up they'll hike his prices again.
3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2015, 13:09 Pigeon
Cutter wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 11:30:
"Years ago, I kept mulling over what Alien 2 could be. I was fiddling around with some ideas. I was always fascinated with why this thing [the xenomorph] would be made, by whom, and for what purpose? The planet it was on – and I was looking at the dark side of the moon – would be called Paradise. Paradise is a very ominous word.

Ominous? No. The idea of paradise is, in fact, anything but ominous.

Paradise (Persian: Paradise garden) is the term for a place of timeless harmony. The Abrahamic faiths associate paradise with the Garden of Eden, that is, the perfect state of the world prior to the fall from grace, and the perfect state that will be restored in the World to Come.

How does that in anyway sound ominous? The man has lost it.

Well it's a pretty common ironic theme that things refereed to as paradise are anything but. Either through tragedy striking and/or having been corrupt in the first place. I'm assuming that's what he's talking about. Not that I can blame you for being cynical about anything he's said; he certainly hasn't delivered anything worthwhile in years.
News Comments > FINAL FANTASY V on Steam
3. Re: FINAL FANTASY V on Steam Sep 24, 2015, 22:12 Pigeon
Task wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 20:40:
A mobile port, Again? Guess I'm not buying it then unless they patch it up. I have FFV, from the FF-Anthology PSOne case-set - I'll just stick with that. I don't understand how they keep messing these up - just start with the PSOne releases and update them for PC from there.

But it's Final Fantasy, RETRO Final Fantasy, don't you want to give them money because FF? Seriously though, I don't understand it either. It's almost like they think it's a better version than the PS1 or SNES versions because it's newer. I've not played any of the mobile ports, but from what I've seen and heard this is not the case.
6. Re: The Apple bias is real Sep 24, 2015, 21:13 Pigeon
Red wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 18:52:
Pigeon wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 18:23:
it is a mass delusion.
Why can't it just be good marketing combined with contentment? Apple had the first actually awesome smartphone. That got early adopters and word-of-mouth advocates. Since then, it has done really well at marketing plus mostly not pissing off anyone who bought into it.

It doesn't matter now who makes the better product. Because no non-iPhone smart phone is better enough to bother going through the effort of switching. Not for an average person. Nor for an enthusiast who happens to have invested a lot into the Apple ecosystem.

Apple has a momentum that will last until they seriously fuck something up.

I have an iPhone. I make no claim that they're superior to Android phones. There's a lot of shit wrong with them, in fact. Or at least sub-par. But I am also a tech enthusiast/developer and like trying everything, including Android devices. I have nothing bad to say about the newer iterations, but there is also nothing compelling about them to make me switch from a product I'm content with. My next phone will be another iPhone because there is just no reason for it not to be.

My comment was about the article which basically says reviewers are right to lavish apple with undo praise and attention because it is Apple. Another quote for my point (emphasis mine):
The iPhone is reviewed like a transcendental entity that's more than just the sum of its metal, plastic, and silicon parts, because that's what it is.

Liking the iPhone because it's a good product, has a good eco-system, and the competitors don't offer you a compelling reason to switch is not delusional. Turning it into an object of idolatry and reverence is. What's funny is the author mentions a few things that are problematic with Apple but quickly says they're not actually problems by virtue of being Apple. If you want a company to improve something you don't like, that's a horrible way of going about it.
3. Re: The Apple bias is real Sep 24, 2015, 18:23 Pigeon
MajorD wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 12:22:
Yup, keep on drinking that 'apple' juice. Puke

Yeah that article was pretty puke worthy.

The only explanation for this pattern, short of a mass delusion on a religion-like global scale, is that Apple provides substantial value to its hundreds of millions of satisfied iPhone buyers.

Convincing consumers your product is significantly better than the competitors without actually providing a better product is called branding/marketing; it is a mass delusion.
News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 22, 2015, 13:26 Pigeon
I'll be very surprised if they get hit by the full $18 Billion. GM paid $900 million for covering up a defect that was responsible for 120+ deaths, no criminal charges. Not saying VW won't get hit with higher fines, but that $18 Billion isn't going to happen.  
5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2015, 11:48 Pigeon
I knew it was gonna happen, but the reality is here now; it's going to be a rough season for the Texans. Maybe Mallet will get better with time, but he looked horrible for the most part. There are incomplete passes and then there's wtf are you throwing at. If Carolina hadn't gotten so many unnecessary and poorly timed penalties the game would not have been nearly as close.  
1543 Comments. 78 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo