Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1514 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 4, 2015, 02:21 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Sep 3, 2015, 23:35:
Samsung unveils world’s first 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc player.

Aren't disks supposed to be dead?

I think a 4K movies are something like 100GBs plus, so it might be faster to drive to the store and buy a disc than wait for it to download. That and it's a significant chunk of real-estate on your hard-drive.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > WildStar F2P This Month
10. Re: WildStar F2P This Month Sep 3, 2015, 15:15 Pigeon

I've been playing the F2P beta for the last 2 weeks. As a F2P it's probably better than some of the others I've tried. There's enough variation while leveling that it's not the mind numbing experience I've had in other F2P MMOs. I've had some issues that concern me though; and while I understand it's a beta, it's also a beta of a game that's been out for awhile. The UI has been having issues with the quest tracker, which makes questing difficult, and I can't run it in DX11. DX11 runs very smoothly until it doesn't, apparently it's an issue they've had for quiet awhile.

Overall I'd say worth checking out. It's got a cartoony style that I realize isn't for everyone, but I like it.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 2, 2015, 10:15 Pigeon

I manged to fill up my 1GB with mostly automated saved game backups, and I don't play my PS4 that often. 10GB is still pretty pathetic considering they want people to create and share game-play videos on their network, but it's 10x better than what it was I guess. I think the xbone gives a free 15GB, no service subscription. Of course you have to use OneDrive... TO RULE THEM ALL!  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: If you're about to buy a new 1TB PlayStation 4, don't. Here's why. Aug 31, 2015, 08:50 Pigeon

Frags4Fun wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 08:33:
I wonder if there are any performance differences with this newer model. I guess it could go either way or stay the same. I wish someone could/would benchmark them.

I would imagine there's little difference; people who already own one would be upset if a better (more fps) console were released. I do wonder when/if they'll release a SSD version. If they're looking to make a quieter and less power hungry hungry console that's one way to do it, plus better load times.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 27, 2015, 13:28 Pigeon

A sex site on the internet-webs scamming people out of money? MY GOD!! If nothing else this just proves how stupid/gullible guys are when it comes to sex. As I understand it most dating sites have the same issue, lots of active male users with only a handful of female users. I've known both guys and girls who've used dating sites and it's pretty much the same story, the guys almost never get requests or replies , whereas the women get a relatively numerous number of requests. I don't know if most dating sites have a tiered pay service like AM though. Not that I'm trying to put dating sites in the same category as AM, but they do have some similar dynamics.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 24, 2015, 11:55 Pigeon

I don't necessarily disagree with what's being said in the article; certainly calls for better transparency and user control are welcome. I feel like it ignores and in some ways accepts the core problem, that being the foxes have the keys to the hen house. The people who have the most to gain from violating people's privacy are the ones controlling tech privacy. Walking out of your house is not the privacy trade-off equivalent of using an app. Yes there is a trade-off involved, you can't walkout of your house naked and expect people to not look, but the tech equivalent is more like, if you want to walk out of your house you must let us look at you naked.

The privacy conditions aren't set to accomplish the desired task, they're set to collect as much information possible. There is no reason most of these apps need access to your pictures, contacts, or location yet it's become so standard even a solitaire game collects that information. Calling it a trade-off does not do justice to the actual problem.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 24, 2015, 09:54 Pigeon

It's just a pointless product for tech hipsters; that's all that needs to be said about the Dash Button.  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Aug 23, 2015, 19:04 Pigeon

panbient wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 13:32:
SMB might have been a horrible movie but something based on Fire Emblem done in the style of the Lord of the Rings films could be cool.

Or Zelda in the style of Willow.

Or Metroid a la Aliens! (ok I'm getting ridiculous)

Michael Bay presents: Super Smash Brothers the Movie *EXPLOSION*

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: plate reader Aug 21, 2015, 10:50 Pigeon

So I initially thought these were just being used to identify stolen vehicles or those used in criminal activities, but they just seem to be using them for tracking every car ever scanned (unless I'm misunderstanding). Perhaps if they deleted or did not store data on vehicles not involved in a crime people wouldn't be so up in arms over breeches of privacy. The argument that people on a public road should have no reasonable expectation of privacy is bullshit. Just because someone is out in a public area shouldn't mean the authorities get to stalk you without reason.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2015, 10:08 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Aug 18, 2015, 10:03:
90 degrees for 3 straight days. That's adorable.

I know right. We've recently gotten back down to the low 90s and it feels like a cool front compared to what we had before.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 15, 2015, 10:11 Pigeon

My motherboard came with one, it certainly wasn't a feature I cared about, and I have noticed no perceivable difference between it and the old plane-Jane NIC on my last motherboard. When the stand-alone Killer cards first came out years ago they (various tech reviewers) did tests and found no real difference. I think the only conclusion was that if you had other network tasks going on at the same time as gaming the bundled software would prioritize the game. Of course if you really cared about network performance during a game you wouldn't be torrenting 4 seasons of Game of Thrones while trying to snipe in Battlefield.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 13, 2015, 14:58 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 14:32:
Dying Light 2 may be too ambitious for PS4 & Xbox One.

Wow, so it hasn't even been two years yet, but next gen consoles are already becoming last gen.

It should be pretty clear by now that a console with a lower end midrange card is going to perform as such. There is a pretty low limit for how much "console magic" designers can squeeze from the systems to increase performance.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Apple's best features Aug 12, 2015, 11:52 Pigeon

I could certainly see this as more workable on OEM machines, specially laptops where hardware changes are unlikely over the span of the system's life. But there are too many problems with the DIY builds for this to be feasible. Chief among them would be legal concerns; it would be an antitrust lawsuit waiting to happen. I can imagine the uproar if MB's came with built in Windows installers. It would be a neat feature, but it's also pretty superfluous. He really overstates the difficulty of obtaining a Windows installer on a USB Key.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2015, 09:21 Pigeon

Punch a guy in the face over $600 and lose out on a 4 year 2 million dollar contract. If only IK had paid attention in economics class all of this could have been avoided. I'll be surprised if anyone picks this guy up. Nobody is going to want someone who broke a starting QB's jaw over $600, specially not someone with unimpressive stats like IK.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 11, 2015, 08:57 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 21:36:
Frags4Fun wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 20:47:
“They say SOPA, and hope the peasants cringe,” the filmmaker adds. “Thus, the EFF invests tremendous energy in this strategy, breathlessly warning us about the inevitable doom that will surely follow if, heaven-forbid, the rule of law might apply to trade across our precious tubes.”

So this David Newhoff guy thinks we're peasants. That's nice.

All that being said, make your shit available somewhere for a reasonable price, and this issue would be largely mitigated.

But it's easier to claim the theoretical loss of hundreds of millions due to piracy than it is to develop an effect marketing solution and risk finding out your product isn't nearly as desirable as you'd like to think. Case in point, Pixels would be an unmitigated success if only those filthy pirates wouldn't confuse the consumer by putting the word pixel all over the internet.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 10, 2015, 16:05 Pigeon

walrus1 wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 11:52:
This story shows everything wrong with U.S, copyright law and Vimeo. The fact that copyright law makes it so difficult to legally use copyrighted material and so easy to remove non-copyrighted material is all but unforgivable. Also vimeo is beyond stupid in how they handle uploads, searching, copyright and everything else they do. We need a YouTube competitor but Vimeo sure as hell isn't it.

I had the same thoughts reading this. There really needs to be some level of due diligence and it needs to start with the companies making these claims. IMO it's anti-competitive as well. If as a content creator they can get other individuals' or companies content taken down on such flimsy claims, it strikes me as an easily abusable system.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2015, 17:00 Pigeon

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 16:47:
BobBob wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 16:30:
My closest neighbor is over 80 years old, very civilized, and super quiet. She also has a pet cat. She was one of the major deciding factors on purchasing this place. "She's going to live forever. she's going to live forever, she's going to live forever." My daily chant.

How that line of thinking can work out happened to me. When I moved here super nice neighbor, 1 year later rental lord raised rent, neighbor had to leave.. and now in 5 years I had 3 different new neighbors, all somehow either totally batshit insane (1 neighbors first words to me where "I am going to sue you" upon which I had to laugh quite hard, which that women didn't find nearly as funny as I did..... up to a neighbor that turned stereo to max volume... on a normal work Monday, at 2AM (left year later, no doubt because literally ALL neighbors around complained about that, 3 called the police.. heh) and 3rd neighbor cut my carport roof plants (intentionally? who knows) so that my fantastic green carport roof is now a barren wasteland of impossible to remove fire hazards... I just leave it there and secretly hope it catches fire...

Argh.. no, neighbors that don't give as much as they take are nightmares, are real hell on earth. When you have a good neighbor though... you better hope they live there as long as you do...

The only thing good I can say about my newest downstairs neighbors is they vomit less than the old ones.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
17. Re: Saturday Previews Aug 9, 2015, 15:04 Pigeon

harlock wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 11:42:
Pigeon wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 11:23:
Damn close, if you define damn close as missed by a mile. With the exception of balancing weapons and engines this sounds way more like a StarFox game than an X-wing game. I mean power-ups really, wrong IP guys.

yeh, star wars is so fucking hard and real and gritty

Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes

My comment had nothing to do with claiming Star Wars is "fucking hard and real and gritty". I was pointing out it was way less like the X-wing series (which it was being compared to) and more like StarFox which included floating power-ups scattered through the maps, shield and thrust boosters, and special moves. People are complaining because they want something more consistent with the Star Wars universe than a generic space fighter game with Star Wars wall paper plastered on.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
14. Re: Saturday Previews Aug 9, 2015, 11:23 Pigeon

Damn close, if you define damn close as missed by a mile. With the exception of balancing weapons and engines this sounds way more like a StarFox game than an X-wing game. I mean power-ups really, wrong IP guys.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Aug 6, 2015, 19:37 Pigeon

Only place like that I worked was a grocery store, which never closed. It wasn't bad working late since there were comparatively few customers and I could wander around the store re-shelving the crap people decided they didn't want at the last minute. Only bad part was Midnight when they stopped selling alcohol. 5 minutes till and you'd get the nastiest mother fuckers coming screaming "WHERE THA FORTIES AT", and then be pissed when they got to the checkout at 12:00:01.  

1514 Comments. 76 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo