Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1229 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2014, 14:28 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 14:16:
Wow, a soldier and reservist murdered in Canada this week and now some lunatic attacked cops with a hatchet in NYC today. Ebola looks to be spreading. Sigh. Things seems to be getting pretty crazy out there atm. Stay safe people.

The only good news with Ebola is it seems if you treat it at onset the prognosis is pretty good. The first doctor, two Dallas nurses, the nurse in Spain, and the NBC cameraman are all fine now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Outlast 2 Plans Revealed
2. Re: Outlast 2 Plans Revealed Oct 24, 2014, 13:05 Pigeon

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 09:56:
Great game, well worth the price of admission.

It was one of the PS+ games several months ago, so far the best of their offering IMO.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 24, 2014, 11:58 Pigeon

I use Avast on my laptop. Thankfully I never install the browser plugins from AV programs, but I think this may push me to find something else. Well that and if I go a few days without updating, which I normally do since I don't use my laptop often, it grinds my laptop to a near halt on start-up.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 22, 2014, 10:25 Pigeon

Well at least there's some hope the cable co's will have some competition, but sounds like it's an expensive upgrade so that'll mean a slow/selective roll out.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 21, 2014, 21:30 Pigeon

nin wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 21:17:
Pigeon wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 21:10:
I was ready to make a snarky comment about Mathew Broderick being the master mind who conspired to keep women out of a field full of socially awkward male mouth-breathers, but then I read the actual article which is realy titled, When Women Stopped Coding, and makes no mention of a conspiracy to keep women out of the computer sciences(Unlike the Slashdot summary). Advertising can be a powerful influence on the young when they are trying to define their rolls in society, either directly by telling kids what they should like, or indirectly through suggesting to parents what would be best for their kid.

Did you know Matthew Broderick killed a couple of people years ago? I'd never heard of it until recently...

Yeah I remember hearing about that, had to look it up again to get the details.

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: etc., etc. Oct 21, 2014, 21:26 Pigeon

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 20:47:
Yeah he did expose her for being a pre-op transexual trying to lie her way to the operation. Then again you really aren't a transexual until the operation is done so not sure why the community labels them this way. Regardless of being a he/she/it/whatever, when your trying to scam people out of money under false pretenses you SHOULD be exposed. There should be no 'safety shield' regardless of race/creed/color/sex/sexual orientation/whatever/etc.
Destructoid should have done the right thing when they found out after they were pushing the crowdfunding in the first place. The women has/had issues that were obviously pretty serious when she tried to commit suicide on her Twitch channel.

I'm not familiar with all that transpired or how, but I have a hard time seeing how exposing a scamer is grounds for dismissal. Telling other potential employers not to hire someone can land you in deep shit though. Depending on what Mr. North said he could be held liable for slander.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 21, 2014, 21:10 Pigeon

I was ready to make a snarky comment about Mathew Broderick being the master mind who conspired to keep women out of a field full of socially awkward male mouth-breathers, but then I read the actual article which is realy titled, When Women Stopped Coding, and makes no mention of a conspiracy to keep women out of the computer sciences(Unlike the Slashdot summary). Advertising can be a powerful influence on the young when they are trying to define their rolls in society, either directly by telling kids what they should like, or indirectly through suggesting to parents what would be best for their kid.  

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 21, 2014, 11:49 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 11:28:
Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 10:53:
I could be wrong here, and I never bothered to research this. But I recall being told that there was a treaty between the US and China such that each country would agree to continue delivering the other's mail once it's sent from the original destination. A kind of indirect subsidy.

Again I stress, I do not know if this is true, but I heard as much from someone who was into eBay dropshipping.

That agreement exists basically between the large majority of all nations in the world, as far as the mail goes. You collect the money in your country and I'll deliver it for free in my country, and vice versa. (although it wouldn't surprise me if there are peering agreements in case the mail volume is heavily skewed in a single direction.)

So the reason China can offer cheap shipping is likely because the costs of shipping in their country are very low compared to most western nations.

I would imagine China has a lot of deals with the major shipping companies, they manufacture most of the world's stuff so I'm sure they have a lot of bargaining power when it comes to such things.

News Comments > Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Dropping GFWL for Steam
8. Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Dropping GFWL for Steam Oct 21, 2014, 11:28 Pigeon

Simon Says wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 11:18:
...20 gigs monthly cap...

Eeewwwww

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Heavensward Expansion Announced
3. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Heavensward Expansion Announced Oct 20, 2014, 14:05 Pigeon

So their announcement was a really nice Cinematic and no substance whatsoever. Actually that's the perfect way to sum up a Square/Enix game. Frankly I don't see them adding anything that would get me back into the game. Some of the things that I initially thought were novel, just turned into more grinding, and the markets were pretty much destroyed by bots. Along with those annoyances I didn't find the story or world particularly inspiring. Of course it's safe to say I'm pretty burned out on MMOs so my view is a bit jaded. I'd have to find something that fits a lot of my own requirements before I'd give another MMO a try.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2014, 09:21 Pigeon

nin wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 09:17:
Here ya go, Blue! If you buy it yourself, you'll technically be paying yourself!

Product Features

Supports HyperTransport technology - A high-speed, low latency, point-to-point link designed to provide excellent interconnect for computation and networking. This Technology not only provides more bandwidth but also reduces the I/O bottlenecks and, consequently, greatly enhances the system performance
AMD Certified Cool'n'Quiet supporting Motherboard
Superb bandwidth AGP 8X graphics interface
3x DIMM Supports DDR266/333/400 Max 3GB
Slots - 1x AGP 8X/4X, 5x PCI

I was unaware DVDs could do all of that.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Oct 16, 2014, 13:20 Pigeon

Henry Dorsett wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 11:46:
...At this point, it's hard to tell one screaming lunatic voice from another...

I think that's the best explanation I've heard so far. Anyone with a reasonable response tends to get overshadowed by some chicken little, screaming hysterics about the other side. At this point it's just mirroring our political system.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 13, 2014, 09:54 Pigeon

Well no official numbers have been released there is speculation that Hulu makes more from ads than it does from subscribers. Moving away from that model would signal a major shift in the way the company is run.

Of course they make more from ads, most people don't want to subscribe to Hulu because they don't want to pay to watch almost as many ads as broadcast TV. I've subscribed and they have decent selection of current season shows; usually available within a a few hours of airing to a day. But there can be a lot of commercials, and their player sucks and tends to gets stuck after showing a commercial and not returning to what you watch, at which point you have to reload the show and watch another set of commercials before you can hopefully finish up with the show. If they had commercials at the start and maybe one break in the middle it wouldn't be too bad, but its like every 10 minutes. It'd be interesting to see how much more a no/fewer ad subscription costs, but I'm not holding my breath with a company partly owned by Comcast.

General Discussion > NFL Week Six
9. No subject Oct 12, 2014, 17:48 Pigeon

I had a feeling the Browns were going to win. But they've been so bad for so long I find it hard to pick them, even if it's against team that's been playing bad like the Steelers.

Also despite winning Denver looked pretty bad, against a bad Jets team. Only reason the score looks like a solid win is because instead of a scoring drive to tie it up, Geno throws a pick-six.

Once again the Bengals find a way to screw with everyone's picks.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
7. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 12, 2014, 10:05 Pigeon

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 12, 2014, 01:09:
I never understood how Nielsen ratings worked. How can watching TV relay information back to say that I am and how is that information measured based on channel surfing or watching the program? I mean, if I stumble across Vision TV because it's there, does someone in a booth get an erection because they now have one viewer? How do they even get the age range down?

Nielsen ratings are done through a random sample. Random families are selected and consent to either creating a log of what they watch or having a device attached to their TVs that reports what they are watching.

I wouldn't be surprised though if cable boxes and SmartTVs have a similar function built in.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 11, 2014, 21:21 Pigeon

Neilsen is investigating this internet thing. It may have some potential as a media delivery system.  

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 10, 2014, 09:41 Pigeon

That's its most attractive feature.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2014, 09:37 Pigeon

"It's not really about asking for the raise, but knowing and having faith that the system would give you the right raises as you go along. That, I think, might be one of the additional superpowers that, quite frankly, women who don't ask for a raise have. That's good karma. It'll come back"

Hahaha, what a load of crap. I'm sure he got to where he is by keeping his head down and doing his job with faith the system would recognize what a good and dedicated worker he is.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2014, 09:31 Pigeon

"It was simply the fact that his batch had a higher yeast concentration, and one of the by-products of yeast is excess carbon dioxide," said Stites.

He says his company pressured test the carbonated drink to be 14 PSI -- or pounds per square inch. He says bottles were designed to handle 42 PSI.

"The yeast was just building up the pressure in the bottles over a seven to 10 day period," said Stites.

"Heey man did you put the yeast in yet?"
"Nah, I'll do it now. In you go little yeasties"
::10 Seconds later::
"Heey man did you put the yeast in yet?"
"Nah, I'll do it now. In you go little yeasties"

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p
18. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p Oct 9, 2014, 21:21 Pigeon

I've not played XIII, but I generally don't hear good things about it. From what I've seen it doesn't appear to have what I like in an RPG. IV and VI are far and above my favorites of the series, still waiting on that VI remake...  

1229 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo