Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1293 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 19, 2014, 21:55 Pigeon

Titan-fall a top 10? I was under the impression it was a big rock that didn't make much of a splash.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 18, 2014, 15:34 Pigeon

How nice of Comcast... Did Roku not pay enough tribute unto Caesar previously?  

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale Begins
7. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 18, 2014, 14:08 Pigeon

I doubt I'll pick much up for this, still have a lot from summer sale sitting un-played. If I were less of a perfectionist I could get through things much much faster.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 16, 2014, 08:47 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 00:28:
NamecaF wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 22:49:
What about Comcast?

From the article:
the cable giant's anti-competitive behavior in the Philadelphia area resulted in the company overcharging users to the tune of more than $875 million. The case has stumbled around the courts for several years now, though Comcast recently agreed to pay $50 million to settle the suit.
That's a good racket they've got going. And that's just the Philly region. I imagine they've made billions with these practices.

Overcharged $875 million pays $50 million in fines, wow if only that worked with other crimes. Rob a bank, return 6% of what you stole and walk away a free man.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 15, 2014, 12:55 Pigeon

Narf2029 wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 12:40:
It's funny that the transparency of the internet age has just made politicians blatantly corrupt instead of skulking around in the shadows. Still just as corrupt, if not more so, but the proof is literally all around us and the overwhelming majority of people simply don't care. This is a country where nobody likes a guy and nobody has liked him for 20 years yet he's been in the House of Representatives for 18 of those 20 years.

Unfortunately people make rhetoric informed decisions when voting instead of behavior informed.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 13, 2014, 15:14 Pigeon

1badmf wrote on Dec 13, 2014, 14:48:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 13, 2014, 13:00:
It's funny that the other day the MPAA totally pissed Google off when Google was actually trying to help them.

typical no-talent hacks trying to justify their jobs. their brains don't have the processing power to comprehend the whole picture so they get lost in the minutiae and have no clue about what they're doing to us as a society. but that's been the entertainment industry's problem for a long time. they've been so used to staggering profits that their greed has essentially become unlimited, and they don't care who they squash in the course of chasing it whether it be innocent mistakes or the rights of a whole country. i'm pretty sure if left unchecked by the likes of google, they'd happily turn this into a police state where piracy became a capital crime.

Google's mistake was thinking a solution that negatively impacted people's ability to search for pirated material while making it easier for customers to find legitimate sources would please the MPAA.

In MPAA logic all customers are pirates, and should be treated like criminals. Google should have require everyone to sign in with an always-on DRM that linked directly to filthy customer pirates checking accounts, and any time they viewed a clip, read a review or searched for a movie they would be charged a fee. Actually watching a movie would incur a $1 per-minute charge, with HD (720p) costing extra.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2014, 13:50 Pigeon

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 13, 2014, 10:48:
That honking the horn garbage makes my blood pressure rise. EVERYONE has a cell phone, some more than 1 - yet for some stupid reason, neanderthals feel the need to use the horn on their vehicle. Lazy inconsiderate bastards....

It happened all the time where I used to live and people would just lay on the horn too. Of course there were a host of other scuzzy low life behaviors going on too.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 09:34 Pigeon

What a ridiculous piece of crap. If they're going to complain about GTA V's over the top violence complain about the whole thing. You can do whatever you want with innocent faceless civilians, but don't hurt the prostitutes T.T. I get what he's saying, but it just seems absurd to single out that one aspect of the game out of all the other horrible things you can do. I would have more respect for this article if the Author just said, 'hey maybe we shouldn't be glorifying violence to this extent, because X,Y and Z'.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2014, 11:46 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Dec 11, 2014, 11:15:
No, the reason OPEC didn't cut production is because foreign oil production has been increasing - fracking, etc.- and had they cut production then other markets would have picked up the slack leaving them out in the cold. So it's better for them to depress prices in the short term, as they're playing this as the long game. Do not doubt those prices will increase again, and sooner rather than later.

Even now, gas finally broke less than a buck a liter here - currently the cheapest at Costco at 94.4 cents - and while that's super and all, fact is we're still getting screwed on the price. It should really be about 35 cents a liter.

This is the explanation I've heard from people I know in the industry, and they aren't particularly happy with the lower prices. Further more the lower prices are also hurting US oil production as our current boom is due to our large deposits of shale oil. Shale oil is more expensive to produce so lower prices make it a riskier prospect.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 11, 2014, 10:05 Pigeon

As it was not mentioned in the article, is the rating actually inconsistent with how the MPAA tends to rate films? Is there an actual conspiracy, or are people just upset a film they feel is important is rated R, and therefore less accessible?

Still Kudos for the theater, the ratings are just suggestions and they are well within their rights not to follow those suggestions.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 11, 2014, 08:48 Pigeon

"Piracy"

How dare people find a way to pay money for Sony's products!!!

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 8, 2014, 11:28 Pigeon

Comcast repeatedly claiming that because Netflix itself is so large, they have no room to criticize the cable giant.

First off Netflix is not Comcast big, secondly they're 'large' because they offer a good product at a price people find reasonable. Comcast is large because they've carved out territories where consumers have little choice over who they choose as an ISP.

I can get Hulu, Amazon Prime, and/or Netflix, but if I want internet my choice is Comcast or very slow AT&T DSL.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2014, 09:57 Pigeon

I've not used it in years, but it's also a pretty decent seasoning for meats. I mainly used it on chicken I grilled for stuff like salads or quesadillas.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 3, 2014, 09:48 Pigeon

How do you get 100 Terabytes of data from someone without them noticing?

I feel bad for the employees, especially the people on the lower end of the pay scale. Hopefully Sony offers them assistance with helping to secure their identities. On second thought, in light of Sony's apparent inability to secure it's own data maybe they don't want their help or that of anyone Sony might hire.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 3, 2014, 09:12 Pigeon

What if your child can no longer use his or her video game device?

What if the children in the seats in front of and in back and across the aisle from you are so deprived … for hours?

What if last-minute phone calls before take-off and first-minute phone calls upon landing are no longer possible?

GOOD GOD!! It'll be like when I was a kid, they'll have to read, color or play with a toy... THE HORROR!!!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 2, 2014, 13:01 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 12:25:
So if half of all workers are replaced by robots in the coming decade what does that mean for the economy? Who's going to buy shit when they have no money?

Everybody gets to work in the service and healthcare industries taking care of retired robots.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 2, 2014, 08:54 Pigeon

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 21:36:
Big Password mistake:

"How does a hacker get hold of your password? Most likely, through a breach of a customer database like the one that recently let criminals obtain confidential celebrity photos from Apple’s iCloud. "

Right and once they get the db it doesn't matter what you have, it will be cracked, they have unlimited cracks at it with cracking software, doing 100's of attempts a second.

Now if you stay away from brain dead passwords and if they don't steal the entire DB. They only have so many chances before the account will be put on hold for additional verification. So it has imo been a fairly murky education of passwords and the realities to the masses, we are making changes to things that are really being broken a whole 'nother way.

The reality is once the get the db in hand, it doesn't matter if that password is "This!sMyPassword" or "ng031u$T%$T%Gdfdsf", it will be hacked. Now someone trying to break in through the front door, might have 10-20 attempts before locked out, but lets say they have 1000 tries, they will never get to "This!sMyPassword" in 1000 attempts.

It does seem we see an inordinate amount of attention given to password strength, when phishing, malware and database breaches are probably way more common ways of getting hacked than a brute force attack. Not that people shouldn't make good passwords, but like you said a mixed 18 character password isn't going to do crap if you get phished, or the DB your p/w is stored in gets hacked.

You can have the strongest front door in the world, with the most intricate lock, but if someone left a window open in the kitchen it's all for not.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Dec 1, 2014, 11:39 Pigeon

Probably made harder by poor POV camera and what always felt like laggy controls. A decent MMO, but I when I was playing I felt those were two areas that could use some work. Maybe Mouse and Keyboard were gimped so they didn't have an advantage over gamepad players.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 26, 2014, 10:35 Pigeon

Verizon is trying to convince the Federal Communications Commission that it won't sue to block net neutrality rules as long as they're issued without reclassifying broadband providers as utilities.

I highly suspect Mr. Milch had his fingers crossed when typing up that email.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Nov 25, 2014, 22:55 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 21:27:
Also glad they didn't reveal the dino in the trailer. I'm imagining it as a T-Rex with Alien claws and Jeff Goldblum's head.

Dear God!

1293 Comments. 65 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo