Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1201 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Sep 30, 2014, 11:34 Pigeon

Maybe he'll just remove the whole class system all together now. I mean having to choose between a class, it creates a barrier to just enjoying the game. Gear will now determine your roll and will be labeled in thickly scrawled crayon, TANK, HEALZ, DEEPS.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 29, 2014, 13:21 Pigeon

The company's 337 page filing (pdf) references companies like Google Fiber, Hulu (which Comcast co-owns) and Netflix countless times in trying to make the point that consumers are just drowning in competition:

The only thing that makes me more disgusted by the claims they make is the fact it'll be bought, literally and figuratively, hook line and sinker by the lawmakers.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 29, 2014, 13:15 Pigeon

Verno wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 12:48:
Kudos to Microsoft, that's unexpected and welcome.

Edit: Wait, article says Microsoft Indonesia. Let's wait til MS America confirms it.

That was my thought. I hope it's true though, I want to build a new machine but I don't want to get stuck with win8 and then have 9 come out 6 months later.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2014, 18:40 Pigeon

Sepharo wrote on Sep 28, 2014, 18:38:
Creston wrote on Sep 28, 2014, 17:39:
Blue, there's a "betty crocker cake mix" quiz ad that throws up pop-ups. Just as an FYI. It closes readily enough, but pop-ups typically make people quickly reach for the adblocker again.

Why are you searching for cakes?

I've got an ad for Restasis eye drops right now.
Computer I haven't taken those in years.

Sometimes a man just wants some cake.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 27, 2014, 17:15 Pigeon

[VG]Reagle wrote on Sep 27, 2014, 14:30:
“it may take a few years”- Hahahaha That is a good one!

Well it's going to take a lot of time and brilliant minds to come up with a way to make customers think they are being treated fairly and with respect, while still treating them like sacks of skin, fat and hair they're strip-mining for money.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 26, 2014, 18:42 Pigeon

wrlwnd wrote on Sep 26, 2014, 17:28:
pnag wrote on Sep 26, 2014, 12:04:
To try and play Devil's advocate, it could also be that they can't get applicants with the required qualifications in the US. Does happen!

Wrong. There are plenty of qualified software engineers looking for jobs right now.

M$ just wants cheap labor.

What companies usually mean by, 'we can't find qualified applicants' is they can't find qualified applicants that will work for well below the average pay for the position.

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 26, 2014, 08:58 Pigeon

UHD wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 14:45:
Verno wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 14:26:
I find the numbers pretty dubious, the WD Red failure rate seems far too high and the Seagate numbers are catastrophic, there would be widespread angst and recalls if it was really 24% for a single drive line. That's like IBM DeathStar material. Probably also worth noting that BackBlaze's usage scenarios aren't exactly the norm when considering consumer drive applications.

Yeah, have to take usage patterns into account. They're probably thrashing the hell out of those drives in a way some random shmuck won't. The drives they use aren't designed for the work they're putting them through either; it just so happens they're the most cost-effective solution even when taking higher failure rates into account.

I had one of those Deathstars. After the 2nd failure I told them to send me a drive from another model line and was met with no resistance. That drive worked great and I still around, just not in use because it's comparatively small now.

My current PC has been rocking a Hitachi Deskstar for the last 6 years, and an even older WD as a storage drive.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2014, 13:17 Pigeon

I wouldn't mind red-light cameras if they were actually designed for, a safety stand point. But they revenue tools, on the ones I've seen around me the yellows are shorter, and people tend to slam on their breaks the second the light turns yellow, or slow way down when approaching a green light because they're afraid of it'll turn yellow.

Increase the time the light is yellow, and only ticket the people that blatantly run the light. But if they did that I guess they wouldn't be profiting off it.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 Pigeon

Comcast loves to take advantage of the poor, and then prop up their half-assed programs to gain political leverage... Actually maybe this tactic isn't to show how good hearted they are, but gain politicians' acceptance by showing they're just like them. Like finding out someone has the same interests and hobbies you do.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 22, 2014, 09:25 Pigeon

That article needs to be renamed, How to make a good point in the most awful way possible  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
5. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Sep 22, 2014, 08:28 Pigeon

Well in HomeDepot's defense, it would have cost them money and been a slight inconvenience while they upgraded their system Rolleyes  

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 19, 2014, 13:05 Pigeon

They may have stricter DRM for their online music services and you can easily rip a CD to just about any digital format you want. Frankly I prefer CDs too. The only positive to digital music is you can sometimes get studio quality tracks.  

General Discussion > NFL Week Three
3. No subject Sep 18, 2014, 13:13 Pigeon

And now the Cardinals have a running back on the naughty list. Wonder if this will keep going as people start digging.

Another week of uncertainty. Sucks for trying to make accurate picks, but great from a watching stand point.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 18, 2014, 08:56 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 02:57:
Well, duh. Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, etc. always have given more money to politicians than Google, MS, Yahoo, etc. Silicon Valley doesn't really play the game very well.

Well the latter tends to rely on innovation, good service and competitive pricing as a business model, while the former bribes their way to monopolies.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 17, 2014, 16:20 Pigeon

I think I know someone who's going to fail their medical ethics course. She's probably done for with Med school, and she'll undoubtedly be saddled with debt from loans and with a felony charge its going to be hard getting any sort of job, hope that iPad was worth it. dumbass...

I suppose she could always get an MBA and go work as a bank executive. Then she could legally steal from vulnerable populations.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 11:09 Pigeon

I used to use right mouse forward back in the QII days, but found I could aim better when I switched to WASD. I don't normally stray too much from the standard setup unless they've mapped one of the games extra functions to something that's hard to reach.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 13, 2014, 08:54 Pigeon

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 21:53:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 21:24:
Since most botters are AFK, I wonder if a random CAPTCHA test every couple of hours would solve the problem. Fail too many, or don't respond in time, and BAN HAMMER!

Wouldn't it be easy to do this? Just make it so that there is a start-game button (after card selection) in a random place on the screen and bots would be fucked. Time-out of 30 seconds

Captcha is no solution. Bots are better at reading captchas than humans are...

I think if you get a captcha right anymore you should be flagged as a bot.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 11:52 Pigeon

Verno wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:48:
PHJF wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:34:
Cooking from scratch can actually get stupid expensive. I've made relatively simple dishes that easily end up with a food cost rivaling the price of a meal at a restaurant. I use a simple salsa recipe (roma tomato, green onion, garlic, salt, lime juice, cilantro, hot sauce) that costs significantly more than simply buying a jar of Pace.

It depends on what you're making and the quantities. I can make plenty of meals for less than cost of restaurant food, I just have to make larger portions and freeze some. I also avoid eating absurd amounts of sodium this way. Of course some things will just always be cheaper store bought, I can't make a pizza cheaper store bought due to the price of cheese and meats I like on mine.

My problem is always grocery store produce leaves a lot to be desired, and farmer's markets are few and far between around here. Ideally I'd be able to grow my own produce for at least part of the season, but that's just not a reality. Best salsa I ever had was made from home grown tomatoes, onions and peppers.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 11:39 Pigeon

InBlack wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:18:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:06:
The NFL is a joke of course, they clearly should have fired Ray Rice immediately. The real question should be, how did Ray Rice NOT go to prison in the first place? Nice work, police.

Probably because they saw the whole video. Unlike anyone else here I might add. Im not defending the guy here, but if his girlfriend was indeed being abusive on tape throwing (weak) punches, slaps and whatnot and the tape has all of that on there, a good fucking lawyer would have a field day with that. Its fucking cynical but it is what it is.

What I saw leading up to the elevator is he either leans in and says something to her or spits on her. She responds with a weak back handed swat as she is walking away that looks like it wouldn't have hurt an infant let alone an NFL RB. It's unclear as to who does what first inside the elevator, but it is clear who's response is a gross overreaction tot he situation.

My question is this, why is she culpable for his behavior and her's, and yet he's only partially responsible for his own behavior? 'He shouldn't of done it, but, he is an NFL player and someone was swinging at him.' Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but that's what the argument I hear people making. Why isn't he responsible for driving her to that point but she's responsible for him punching her?

News Comments > Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B?
19. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 10:03 Pigeon

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 09:21:
When someone is offering to make you a billionaire, it's hard not to listen.

QFT

1201 Comments. 61 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo