Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1272 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 20, 2014, 08:49 Pigeon

Beamer wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 22:24:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 22:10:
A large +1 to Apple for a change.

Makes sense. Those games are the devil.

You mean the Canadian Devil Beelzaboot Devil

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 19, 2014, 13:02 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 12:31:
nin wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 11:51:
Frags4Fun wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 11:44:
I was in line yesterday at Gamestop to pick up my copy of GTAV and a lady was buying it for her 12 year old. So disturbing.

Wow. You should have struck up a conversation with the kid and watched mom's face: "Hey man, did you hear you can get a blowjob from the hookers in first person now? <pulls out phone> Here, it's on youtube!"

Our system in a nutshell:
Buying GTAV for a 12 year old: Perfectly legal.
Showing GTAV vid to a 12 year old: 10 years in the pen and life-long listing on the pedo registry.

I think legal for a legal guardian buy M games for their kids, just like how you can bring a kid to an R movie if you're the legal guardian. Alcohol may be different.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2014, 14:39 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 11:35:
nin wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 09:39:
Expensive Tuesday! Bowie, McCartney, and Depeche Mode. GTA, Dragon Age, and Far Cry. $250 later...

Teehee.

Hey guys, any advice on what the current price/performance nadir is for graphics cards? Is the 970 just wiping everything away, or is a top flight Radeon a worthy contender, especially considering DA:I (what I'm upgrading for) uses Mantle?

Looks like the 970 is overall the better card, but the R9 290x isn't far behind, and looks to be the better card DA:I (granted the only benchmarks I saw were on a German site so I could have misunderstood a few things)

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 17, 2014, 21:10 Pigeon

Wow, the one caveat of Citizens United and they couldn't even stick to that.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 09:36 Pigeon

Windows 8 is quite possibly the worst desktop operating system that Microsoft ever released. Since Windows 8 is going up against such all-time flop-a-doodles as Vista and Windows ME, that’s saying something.

Both ME and Vista had some pretty bad bugs at launch, I wasn't aware Win 8 had any major issues except the fugly mobile device Fischer Price looking interface.

I do have to agree with the sentiment that calling it Windows 10 is a bit absurd. I can only imagine it was the idea of some marketing executive with an, 'it goes to 11', mentality. I'll hold of judgement on whether or not it should actually be 8.2

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 17, 2014, 08:49 Pigeon

It's embarrassing how much money we make while treating our customers so poorly, it's almost like we had no competition Grin  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2014, 17:35 Pigeon

HL2 had a lot of great moments,it just tended to drag things out for too long. And while I generally like most of the vehicle options it remains one of the few times I've ever wanted to hurl from game motion sickness.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 15, 2014, 15:10 Pigeon

1badmf wrote on Nov 15, 2014, 13:09:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 15, 2014, 13:07:
AMD "Misspoke" Saying DirectX 12 Won't Work With Windows 7.

"That's right bitches, my homey M$ sez you gots to gets you Windows 8 if you wants DX12."

Luckily it will be five years at least before we see even one game that requires DX12.

hah dude i'm still running vista. i figure windows 10 oughta be a good time to upgrade, get dx12 at the same time.

So am I, but I'm looking to do a complete system build this holiday season. So looks like I'll be stuck with 8.1 like I got stuck with Vista. There are rumors 10 will be a free upgrade to 8.1, but I think that's just wishful thinking on their part. Right now the hardest part is trying to hold off on purchases till Black Friday/Monday.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Nov 15, 2014, 00:15 Pigeon

Fry: Pine needles. Oh, man, this is great... hey, as long as you don't make me smell Uranus.

Leela: I don't get it.

Farnsworth: I'm sorry, Fry, but astronomers renamed Uranus in 2620 to end that stupid joke once and for all.

Fry: Oh. What's it called now?

Farnsworth: Urrectum. Here, let me locate it for you.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 14, 2014, 12:36 Pigeon

1badmf wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 11:35:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 11:30:
There were times I'd rather stand and explain how to do things. Usually for computer basics because I didn't want to get a call every time someone thought their file got 'deleted' because it was no longer in the recently opened documents, aka the only way they knew how to open a file.

are you for real? that, man, i just, jesus people are stupid.

Granted that was over a decade ago when basic computer illiteracy was still pretty common, specially among middle to older aged people; still very bad for the time though.

My favorite was getting a call about someone's computer not working. I asked, feeling like an ass for asking it, if it was plugged in. In an offended tone I was told of course it was, that was the first thing they checked. So I walk over to their building to investigate, try turning on the computer sure enough, nothing. So I look under the desk and see the the male end of a power cord sitting next to the power strip. I plug it in and like magic the computer works. When I told the employee what was wrong, they first didn't believe me, and after I assured them that was the problem they sheepishly told me how they must have forgotten to plug it back in after they had rearranged the furniture in the office. Luckily I had the sense not to face palm, cause I probably would have caved my own head in from that one.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 14, 2014, 11:30 Pigeon

There were times I'd rather stand and explain how to do things. Usually for computer basics because I didn't want to get a call every time someone thought their file got 'deleted' because it was no longer in the recently opened documents, aka the only way they knew how to open a file.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 14, 2014, 10:42 Pigeon

Well I propose we label all of our disgusting gummi fish as Swedish  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Nov 13, 2014, 11:24 Pigeon

InBlack wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 11:14:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 10:57:
ldonyo wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 10:27:
I happen to agree with Ars on this. Locked content and DLC is why I just wait for the everything edition of games to come out anymore. Except for The Witcher. I have great faith in CD Projekt RED and they give away additional content, so there's no reason to wait on a Witcher game.

Did you read the article? It never mentions DLC. It's about game design, and whether every game should have cheat codes to let you bypass any progression gating (as well as locking game modes and such behind unrelated achievements).

Yeah pure clickbait. They fish with an important sounding article title to make you think its relevant (paywall DLC) only to devolve into trolling the reader with some publisher-approved bullshit that really makes little sense.

The only time I'm actually annoyed with what they're talking about is when games with low replayability have some piddly unlocks for finishing the game. You can replay the whole game again, but now you can do it dressed as as raccoon!!!

That said most of the time I find unlocks are pretty well implemented. There are a lot of other mechanics and practices in modern gaming if feel have a much greater impact on the fun/value factor, like day one DLC.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 13, 2014, 09:40 Pigeon

Wheeler told attendees of the meeting, according to the Post's sources. “What I’ve got to figure out is how to split the baby.”

So he's going to make a decision so horrible one of the sides will give up in order to keep the internet from being completely destroyed?

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 13, 2014, 08:52 Pigeon

Hope it gets rolled out to my phone soon. It'll supposedly fix some issues I've been having with wifi connections.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 10, 2014, 22:24 Pigeon

Ted Cruz, looking perpetually concerned and sympathetic, while still managing to be a colossal douche. It's not something many people can pull off, and he works hard at it; which is why he doesn't have time to be concerned with things like internet comics, and making sensical statements.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Nov 7, 2014, 11:45 Pigeon

If caught, the caller faces up to a year in jail and $5,000 fine.

Is that all?! You put people in danger of twitchy fingered police, waste tax payer money and traumatize a family and the maximum you can get amounts to a slap on the wrist?

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
8. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 6, 2014, 21:22 Pigeon

Axis wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 20:17:
NKD wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 19:40:
Ebola panickers are fucking ignorant putzes on par with climate deniers and anti-vaxxers, but there's nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution a bit. It's not like thousands of Americans are being indefinitely detained.

Says the climate panickers...

Don't worry, Senator Inhofe will soon be chairing the Environmental and Public Works Committee. He's a man grounded in solid scientific, evidence based, theory:
“[T]he Genesis 8:22 that I use in there is that ‘as long as the earth remains there will be seed time and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, day and night.’ My point is, God’s still up there. The arrogance of people to think that we, human beings, would be able to change what He is doing in the climate is to me outrageous.”

I'm sure he's got some great ideas on dealing with Ebola as well.

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 6, 2014, 17:26 Pigeon

Beamer wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 14:39:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 13:10:
Beamer wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 11:46:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 11:30:
Beamer wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 11:00:
NKD wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 09:48:
That murderer guy turned himself in to police rather than suicide-by-cop as he originally planned, so he is in custody now. Though the "4chan link" stuff is overstating it a bit. 4chan is where the dude posted his sick pictures after the fact. As far as anyone can tell, there was no other involvement by anyone on 4chan.

The best part was when ol' Brianna Wu decided to go on Twitter and link this to Gamergate or hold it up as an example of how serious online threats are. Except there were no online threats. This guy did his threatening in the real world, had a history of domestic violence and threats against law enforcement, and killed his girlfriend who he lived with, not some random woman on the Internet.

Sick of the people in this world who do that kind of shit. Comparing your trivial online threats to the very serious problem of domestic violence, god damn. Shameless.

Yup.
Had he killed someone over an argument on 4chan, fine, but he killed someone then bragged on the most convenient place on the internet. The steps to how he killed and ended up on 4chan aren't the same as anything else being discussed.

The truth never stopped anyone from twisting a tragedy to meet their own agenda.

No offense, but you're the one doing that.

Briana, Zoe and Anita have had numerous 4chan threads discussing ways they should die. Don't you think this hits a little close to home for then? It doesn't make them right, but I'm certain they're honest in being concerned that a message board obsessed with killing them has a thread bragging about killing a woman.

But I won't let understanding where people come from stop your personal agenda.

What's my agenda? [/quote

Diminishing death threats, apparently.

My original point was that people will use tragedy to prove a point regardless of the facts involved. This was a case of domestic violence, it wasn't random, and it wasn't from some anonymous stranger on the internet. Perhaps there's a lesson in there about misogyny, I don't know if the guys motivations were ever stated or if he was just completely bat-shit insane and did it just because.

It's not that I don't understand where she's coming from, but as someone who has been a public face of the anti-GG movement (her not me), I think it's a poor comparison for her to have made. This was a domestic abuse situation, and the danger from someone who you know and/or live with threatening you is a lot higher and more immediate than some asshole on the internet. I'm not trying to diminish the terribleness of internet death threats, but I think it's disingenuous to artificially inflate the threat by pointing to a domestic abuse case and saying 'SEE I WAS RIGHT'. That kind of rhetoric is great for your supporters, but it drives away people who realize it wasn't a case of online harassment, and it further cuts-off meaningful dialogue with your detractors, because it is seen at an attempt to demonize them.

From reading the article what I did see from the supposed GG people was disbelief, they thought it was a hoax, and horror/disgust at the act and sympathy for the victims. I've not looked at 4 chan or reddit so I don't know if that's an accurate representation of the general population or not.

What particularly bothers me is I agree with her on a lot of basic points. Online threats aren't funny or harmless, women tend to get targeted online for harassment because of their gender, and there's a good deal of misogyny in games (though with some caveats on that last one).

I think what he takes exception to, and he can correct me if I'm wrong, is the same thing I take exception to. That is, comparing bullshit anonymous online trolling to the very real threat of domestic violence.

That's probably a way better explanation than all my rambling.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 6, 2014, 13:10 Pigeon

Beamer wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 11:46:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 11:30:
Beamer wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 11:00:
NKD wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 09:48:
That murderer guy turned himself in to police rather than suicide-by-cop as he originally planned, so he is in custody now. Though the "4chan link" stuff is overstating it a bit. 4chan is where the dude posted his sick pictures after the fact. As far as anyone can tell, there was no other involvement by anyone on 4chan.

The best part was when ol' Brianna Wu decided to go on Twitter and link this to Gamergate or hold it up as an example of how serious online threats are. Except there were no online threats. This guy did his threatening in the real world, had a history of domestic violence and threats against law enforcement, and killed his girlfriend who he lived with, not some random woman on the Internet.

Sick of the people in this world who do that kind of shit. Comparing your trivial online threats to the very serious problem of domestic violence, god damn. Shameless.

Yup.
Had he killed someone over an argument on 4chan, fine, but he killed someone then bragged on the most convenient place on the internet. The steps to how he killed and ended up on 4chan aren't the same as anything else being discussed.

The truth never stopped anyone from twisting a tragedy to meet their own agenda.

No offense, but you're the one doing that.

Briana, Zoe and Anita have had numerous 4chan threads discussing ways they should die. Don't you think this hits a little close to home for then? It doesn't make them right, but I'm certain they're honest in being concerned that a message board obsessed with killing them has a thread bragging about killing a woman.

But I won't let understanding where people come from stop your personal agenda.

What's my agenda?

1272 Comments. 64 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo