Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 275885
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 643 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
18. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 04:34 Ventura

Well it's not GH per-se, but Frets on Fire is a clone

I'm well aware of the existence of Frets on Fire mate, but having played a fair bit of Guitar Hero in my time, I just don't find it a competent clone in my opinion.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: No subject Nov 12, 2007, 21:53 Ventura

GH is one of those games that has absolutely no benefit playing on the PC

Unless of course the modding scene takes off for this game something chronic, in which case the pc would end up being the definitive version to own.

Absolutely anything the consoles can do, the pc can do better. You heard it here first.

Game for fags

How about: South Park is a show for fags.

Guitar Hero is a revolution because it's all about how you interact with the game. You're not sitting down at the sofa pressing buttons on a gamepad, you're rocking with a guitar modelled to look like a real one.

Anyone who thinks it sucks either hasn't played it, which means they don't really have any right to comment, or they suck at it and that's the game's fault.

9. Re: No subject Nov 12, 2007, 15:34 Ventura

I don't know about anyone else, but when faced with being able to pick up a game - any game - on any of the consoles or the pc... I'll get the pc version every time.

Just thought I'd throw that one in there. Lovely to at last see a version of Guitar Hero out there for folks like us.

News Comments > Empire Earth III Patch
6. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2007, 16:28 Ventura

In it's defence, the finished retail game is far better than the demo was... apparently. That's going on the sort of talking being done over at the official forum. I had to check because I'm an RTS junkie, and I spent a lot of time with the first EE.

Of course, sending out a crappy demo is suicide, and they've only got themselves to blame.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PC Gears of War
31. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2007, 04:29 Ventura

Not to mention they didn't cut out the rarely seen COOP play that makes the game so fun. Why don't you guys give it a break and stop being so fuckin' negative all the time.

You said it yourself - rarely seen coop play. PC gamers have had watered down, crap ports of old console shooters for a while now. The only reason you mentioned coop specificially is because it's such a surprise it got left in this time.

I don't know, maybe GoW is a good port. Maybe it's got more content, and maybe it's well polished. But what with titles like Crysis due soon, I think most pc gamers could be forgiven for looking the other way.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
9. Re: SupCom... Nov 7, 2007, 02:00 Ventura

I'm gonna have to pass on this one.

What with having actually purchased the original I was really disappointed they went with a standalone sequel so soon. It's only been like 8 months or something.

Sorry Chris, but there are a lot of other good games coming out. Frankly, this doesn't stand a chance.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty 4
18. Re: ... Nov 6, 2007, 16:04 Ventura

No coop sealed it's fate for me also. I'd have likely purchased this otherwise.

Why put so much work into the single player experience and not include being able to share it with friends? It would only enhance the experience.

News Comments > Spore in Six Months
15. Re: ... Oct 25, 2007, 00:55 Ventura

I don't want it to be some thing just hardcore gamers play

What are we supposed to play, then? I just reactivated my Everquest 1 account, for crying out loud.

And hell, it even looks like that's been dumbed down a little.

News Comments > Command & Conquer Saga Announced
12. Re: Hmm Oct 2, 2007, 18:56 Ventura

I never really see the point in these compilation packs. I mean, anyone who is into C&C probably has most of the previous games anyway

Kinda like the way it's so frustrating buying dvd compilations these days. Anyone who's already a fan will already have one or two of the seasons/titles, essentially making the whole pack rather bad value.

And then there's that annoying habit of them throwing in goodies with the compilation that you only get when you buy the whole thing. All they really end up doing is shafting their biggest fans.

Ahem, anyway. Enuff from me.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Settlers: Rise of an Empire
3. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2007, 00:43 Ventura

The demo was very fun. Really looking forward to get full version

So this one actually doesn't suck then?

I've wanted the settlers franchise to return to it's former glory, but it hasn't exactly gone from strength to strength of late.

News Comments > StarCraft II Movie
22. Re: ... Sep 17, 2007, 00:55 Ventura

Supreme Commander innovated the sense of scale in rts that you really did not have before

Except for maybe Total Annihilation.

The two are very different types of RTS's, neither is necessarily better than the other because of it. It's all down to taste, really.

News Comments > StarCraft II Movie
12. Re: Unimpressed. Sep 16, 2007, 18:53 Ventura

Am I the only one who's been spoiled by Supreme Commander's strategic gameplay, superior resource management system, and impressive sense of scale and zoom modes? StarCraft 2's tiny Battlecruisers floating 20ft above the ground just don't look impressive to me in the least; indeed, the effect is downright jarring. Most of the units look more like children's toys!

Supreme Commander is kinda like what Quake 3 was to me. It's technically very good, it looks good, it sounds good... but for some reason, it gets very boring, very quickly. And you don't quite know why.

Starcraft is going to be a much more easily accessable game, the pick up and play type. You won't be waiting 45 minutes for something to happen, let's put it that way.

News Comments > Crysis DirectX 9 & 10 MP Performance
94. Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 22:11 Ventura

explain to me how they "really aren't DX10".

I think what he was trying to say is that there's no way these features aren't doable without dx10. MMO's have been doing the day/night cycle thing for many, many years now, and that's with a hell of a lot more people connected.

explain to me how Microsoft is paying gaming developers

So you don't think there's a financial incentive why they're setting up some of their game's more enticing features as Vista only? What possible other reason could be behind their being willing to effectively split their game's community in two by not allowing XP players to play on Vista servers?

If you don't think that screams "financial incentive", you're living in a dreamworld. This happened because Microsoft wrote them a cheque, it really is that simple.

83. Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 14:20 Ventura

Of course it's relevant. If my OS is nine months old, why should I have to replace it to run a few games which could deliver the same capabilities on XP if written using OpenGL or other techniques

You realise of course, that XP can only be compared so favourably to Vista because of the excellent work Microsoft have been doing keeping it so up to date. Over the last 6 or so years too, I might add. That's a long, long time in this industry.

43. Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 08:00 Ventura

This is about change & change is good. Most of you don't realize this but these kinds of games where high-end hardware is required is not something new

Nice contradiction there :-)

But who is the smarter one here? The guy that spends 250% more on his computer and computer games because he buys them brand new, or me, who will wait 6 months to a year

This isn't about intelligence, or lack thereof; paying a premium to have something sooner is about choice. And to those out there who are a lot more passionate about their gaming than clearly you are about yours, it's not an altogether difficult decision atall.

39. Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 04:51 Ventura

When Windows XP was released is irrelevant as it was still bundled with all consumer PC's until this year, and even today PC's with Windows XP installed instead of Vista are still sold. In addition XP's development has certainly not stood still for six years, so it is not just the same OS it was when it was released

When you bought xp also happens to be irrelevant. It's not like any of us pay for it's continual development. If it were a game, they'd call it an MMO and make you pay by the month.

There are two sides to the coin though, of course. I realise the whole deal with dx10 being Vista only stinks. It was obviously done to force gamers to upgrade to an OS that just ain't worth upgrading to right now. Despite picking up Vista on release day, I had XP back on my dual core machine inside of a couple of months later.

Money does make the world go round though, and it's not unreasonable to expect consumers to have to upgrade every 6 or so years.

22. Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 00:44 Ventura

you care about money, money and more money you greedy fat bastards

In this day and age, who doesn't?

Incidentally, when was XP released again? 2002? 2001? What with it being over 5 years at least, I don't actually think Microsoft are asking for too much.

News Comments > ETQW Demo Details
32. Re: gah! Sep 7, 2007, 01:41 Ventura

Just curious - do you know what strafejumping is?

Also, why do you say this? I feel that Quake's item control + advanced movement + projectile weapons are quite unforgiving.

I stand with Jerykk.

What?

Quake doesn't have points on the map to capture. It doesn't have classes that have different weapons, it doesn't have vehicles, and it doesn't have a commander.

I stand with The Half Elf.

26. Re: gah! Sep 6, 2007, 23:24 Ventura

People may be stupid but bots will always be worse. Even the most base of human player is capable of at some moment even a meager display of cunning.

Heh, I think you're giving the average Quake/Battlefield gamer much more credit than he deserves. Either that or, maybe we've just been playing on very different servers all these years.

24. Re: gah! Sep 6, 2007, 22:55 Ventura

Killing a bot is ZERO satisfaction. Killing a human being, especially a little kid who cries and whines and goes on and on about it; that's satisfaction right there.

I think you'll find the satisfaction comes from not having to play with the "little kid who cries and whines and goes on and on about it". I've done my time playing against real people, and because of that, I'm more than happy to leave them behind and play against the computer controlled variety. More than happy.

It's not like most games don't allow you to heavily set the odds in their favour, so you can't argue that the challenge is not there. I've played BF2 games with the opposing side having 3x the number that's on my side, and it's a rush when you take a spawn point and they come at you to get it back. By about the time you've dropped anywhere from half a dozen to a dozen of them, and the next one's finally gotten you, you'll still die with a smile on your face.

It's because this game has bots, that there's even a chance I'll be buying it. If it didn't, I wouldn't even bother with the demo.

643 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo