Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 275885
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 625 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > ETQW Demo Details
26. Re: gah! Sep 6, 2007, 23:24 Ventura

People may be stupid but bots will always be worse. Even the most base of human player is capable of at some moment even a meager display of cunning.

Heh, I think you're giving the average Quake/Battlefield gamer much more credit than he deserves. Either that or, maybe we've just been playing on very different servers all these years.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > ETQW Demo Details
24. Re: gah! Sep 6, 2007, 22:55 Ventura

Killing a bot is ZERO satisfaction. Killing a human being, especially a little kid who cries and whines and goes on and on about it; that's satisfaction right there.

I think you'll find the satisfaction comes from not having to play with the "little kid who cries and whines and goes on and on about it". I've done my time playing against real people, and because of that, I'm more than happy to leave them behind and play against the computer controlled variety. More than happy.

It's not like most games don't allow you to heavily set the odds in their favour, so you can't argue that the challenge is not there. I've played BF2 games with the opposing side having 3x the number that's on my side, and it's a rush when you take a spawn point and they come at you to get it back. By about the time you've dropped anywhere from half a dozen to a dozen of them, and the next one's finally gotten you, you'll still die with a smile on your face.

It's because this game has bots, that there's even a chance I'll be buying it. If it didn't, I wouldn't even bother with the demo.

News Comments > Vanguard Patched
7. Re: Is this the patch... Aug 17, 2007, 06:50 Ventura

I have played the game for the last 2 months or so and had a great time, especially for the budget they had after they refused to let m$ change their designs and lost funding

Microsoft didn't pull the plug on Vanguard because they didn't like the direction in which it was going. They pulled the plug because it didn't actually seem to be going in a direction atall. It's only natural to, sooner or later, want to see some return on all the cash you're spending.

But just incase you missed that old employee review, which makes for some very entertaining reading, here's a link:

http://www.f13.net/?itemid=561

The bit I particularly like is the bit where he says what went out the door was created in the last 15 or so months of the game's development cycle.

I'm no Microsoft fanboy or anything, but they're hardly the ones responsible for Vanguard crashing and burning like it did.

News Comments > BioShock PC Demo Update
34. Re: Intrigued Aug 14, 2007, 05:08 Ventura

I would'nt count WOW anyway, its off on its own little planet

You can't not count WoW. Over 9 million people paying by the month to play. Each one paying, what? $15 a month. Do the math.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You said it yourself, some devs don't even bother to remove the 360 control scheme. And they wonder why it doesn't sell.

The life expectancy of a brand spanking new Nvidia 9900GTX Turbo? About one year. Maybe

You can upgrade on a yearly basis, sure, but that's only if you absolutely have to be at the cutting edge all the time and have money to burn.

For the rest of us though, you can go two years between video card upgrades easy. I picked up my 7950gt over 6 months ago back when the 8800's had just come out, and it will do me another year no sweat.

I would argue, qualitiatively, that playing Crysis on my Xbox 360 will be just as good an experience for me, as it will for someone who has a $6,000 bleeding edge PC

If you can handle FPS'ing with that controller, sure.

Maybe it's just because I spent most of my early 20s deathmatching Quake 1 with the mouse & keyboard, but if I had to choose between Cyrsis on the 360 or not atall, I'd choose not atall.

Now, if I could plug my USB keyboard and mouse into my 360's usb ports and then play games like Cyrsis and Command and Conquer 3 like I can on the pc, you might have something.

Until then however, I'll be buying those sorts of games on my pc instead, no questions asked.

There's also, and I don't want to make to big a deal out of this because it always creates the break down of society in these threads, but it plays a part, piracy

While I'm not technically disagreeing with you here, they also use piracy as a means to justify the high prices.

The most I've ever spent on any game was $133AUD for the original NBA Jam back on the Super Nintendo. What with the cartridge system, there was no pirating that bad boy back then, and it was also back when the Aussie dollar was worth a lot more than it is now.

I'm not saying piracy isn't a factor, but as has always been the case, they grossly overexaggerate how much a factor it really is.

News Comments > Transformers: The Game Demo
17. Re: And I garuntee you.. Jul 28, 2007, 11:37 Ventura

'Dare - dare to believe you can survive
You hold the future in your hand'

'Dare - better keep all your dreams alive
It's time to take a stand
And you can win if you dare'

Truly, one of the best songs ever written.

15. Re: And I garuntee you.. Jul 28, 2007, 06:24 Ventura

No, you can't equate that with any guarantee

So what, 98% of games made from movies suck instead of 100%?

I'd still bet on those odds.

12. Re: And I garuntee you.. Jul 28, 2007, 00:10 Ventura

Dare to be stupid
Dare to be stupid

Hehe. Nice one

News Comments > Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance Announced
8. Suck Jun 28, 2007, 18:59 Ventura

This does suck.

They call this a standalone title so that they can max up the price once more because it's not going to require the original to play. It's not an expansion pack, it's technically Supreme Commander 1.5.

Nah, I've had enough of GPG and Chris Taylor. You won't catch me buying this on release day at full price like I did with the original.

News Comments > GeForce 8800 Beta Vista Drivers
14. Re: No subject May 15, 2007, 19:22 Ventura

What problems are you having with the current drivers?

None at present, but that's kinda not the point. Improvements and optimisations can always be made, and 6 months is a long, long time without updated drivers for a fairly recent video card. Especially when it's the most expensive component in your computer.

When you bought your 7k range Nvidia card, you had stable drivers. People that buy 8k range cards did not/do not

Shipping a new card revision without stable drivers ready to go was their fault mate, not ours. Those of us with a 7 series geforce shouldn't be paying for that.

9. Re: No subject May 15, 2007, 07:17 Ventura

Exsqueeze me? I just paid 400 bucks for a 320meg 8800gts card 3 weeks ago. Seems we're the smart ones.

I said 6 months, not 3 weeks. I realise prices for the 8800gts model have dropped quite nicely over the last few months, but half a year ago you couldn't have picked up any 8800 model for less than $800au.

What I said still stands.

3. Re: No subject May 15, 2007, 01:14 Ventura

How about some new fucking drivers for my god damn 7950GX2. Haven't even owned this card for a year and Nvidia considers it obsolete?

I'm with you mate.

Paid just over $450au for my 7950GT barely 6 months ago, which still made it one of the more expensive cards available at the time, but the Geforce 7 series of XP drivers still haven't been updated since November of last year.

Whatever the problems are with drivers for Vista, as customers thats not our concern. The vast majority of users will still be using XP, and those of us smart enough to actually wait for the 8800's to drop in price are being punished for it.

Go figure.

News Comments > Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Testing
12. Re: Played Mar 21, 2007, 06:36 Ventura

Adding bot code to a game for a Multiplayer environment is just a waste of developer resources and time, since its a dead code path

Define dead code path.

I purchase MP games to play alone or (if I'm lanning) with other people against AI, not the least because bots don't chuck hissy fits when they're getting their asses kicked.

They're great for filling out the teams when you'd much rather just play with friends, rather than risking going up against the average cockheads you'll meet on an online server.

You're welcome to steer well away from bot-infested servers, but don't even try that "waste of developer resources" shit around here. There are far more people playing in games filled with bots than you could possibly imagine.

News Comments > Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Testing
11. Re: Played Mar 21, 2007, 06:24 Ventura

So one aspect of the game "the movement of the robots" makes the game "TOTALLY suck"?

It might pay to actually read what he wrote again. He said a friend played and said it totally sucked, and that when he watched the vids he felt that the movement of the robots looks like a joke.

People have hyped this game up so much to themselves, that any negativity prior to it's release gets slammed. They just can't take it atall well, because time and time again what with having to deal with one shit game after another, it's all been about how QW will save the day. There's no slagging this game off - not without being flamed.

If you let yourself get caught up in the hype in this industry, you're fucked. The best games you've ever played are the ones that you didn't see coming. You know it, and I know it.

News Comments > Game Downloads - Like a Virgin
4. No subject Feb 13, 2007, 04:29 Ventura

plagued by high distribution costs and piracy which has hampered the growth of this market

What a load of shit.

They've been churning out some of the crappiest titles the PC games industry has ever seen. Quality assurance is at an all time low, we've been getting straight console ports with next to no additional work done to them, and once those boxes are opened they cant be returned.

That's what's been hampering the growth of this market. You treated the customers like second rate citizens for a number of years and they finally wisened up.

Isn't it always someone else's fault...

News Comments > Supreme Commander Demo Tomorrow
19. Re: No subject Feb 6, 2007, 03:30 Ventura

SC does rock, but it's sorta sad in a way how much a copy of TA it really is. If you're looking for innovation, look elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, it IS a good game and TA2 is something a lot of people just wanted to see anyway (myself included), it's just a bit sad how similar it is.

News Comments > MS on Vista Game Compatibility
46. Re: No subject Feb 2, 2007, 18:16 Ventura

Yes losing 32.4% in UT2K4 sucks and would be enough to ruin the playability in some games, but with UT2K4 you still have 173 fps even after the massive performance hit

It's easy to trivialise the decrease in speed when dealing with a game that already runs so blindingly fast the gamer's not gonna notice anyway. But what about games that don't run so well even under xp?

The whole point is, what with all the marketing talk about how Vista is so good for gamers, you'd think performance would have improved, not decreased. But with everything running slower, even if just a little bit, there's just no evidence to support their claims.

Oh yeah, I'm running Vista home premium, and Dawn of War is broken for this OS on any nVidia card. As a gamer, I'm certainly not having the "safest, easiest and most fun experience" with my games right now.

News Comments > Unreal Tournament 3 Mania
30. Re: No subject Jan 27, 2007, 22:04 Ventura

Really. Just because they changed the name. Interesting theory you have there.

This isn't exactly brain surgery mate. Have you not noticed PC gamers getting more and more straight console ports as time's gone by?

Now they're renaming UT2007 to UT3 and it's gonna come out on the 360 and ps3 aswell. Do the math.

If UT3 ends up with nearly the sort of quality that UT2004 had on the PC, I'll eat my words. I'd love to be wrong about this.

News Comments > Unreal Tournament 3 Mania
22. Re: No subject Jan 27, 2007, 18:21 Ventura

Fact of life, consoles bring in more money than PC's

Except for WoW, right? Maybe the reason Blizzard have 8 million people playing their pc game is because all of the other developers are focusing on the stupid consoles so pc gamers have nothing else to do. Yeah, I have an xbox 360 and a ps2, and neither have been played in months. If I could sell my 360 for half of what I've paid for it, I'd do it in a minute.

The UT name change from 2007 to 3 marked the end of my being excited about this game, because the focus is now obviously on the console versions, and once again the pc will be a ported afterthought.

News Comments > Star Trek: Legacy Patch
11. Re: What! Dec 8, 2006, 19:10 Ventura

Was the purpose of releasing this? Why would anyone just release garbage and tarnish their name, standards? Bethesda is supposedly one of the better companies out there, and they do this?

Because they care more about getting the game out to shelves in time for the festive season than they do about it's quality. Hey, it's Star Trek, the idiots are gonna buy it anyway, right?

Like you said, thank god for piracy. This game is a prime candidate.

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Personal Data Clarification
150. Re: No subject Oct 18, 2006, 23:23 Ventura

To be honest. I don't care what I type here. This forum is filled with console gamers anyways. Kotaku.com is a way better place for mature discussion

And given the frequency with which you insult people, you're posting here because they banned you, right?

I am a huge black man that would make you lock your room at night.

For oh so many reasons.

625 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo