Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 275885
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 643 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard on Conan's Impact
11. Re: returned Aug 1, 2008, 05:51 Ventura

I think it's going to take an amazing game to pull any significant number of people away from wow

And that amazing game certainly isn't AoC.

I tried it for a little bit, raced to about level 48 or something, but it got very boring, very quickly. Being a melee class and getting enjoyment from doing fatalities can only last so long, and there's quite a lack of content at the mid-to-high level range.

Not that I went back to WoW though. I haven't played that in months. Truth be told I'm kinda sick of MMO's all up, I'd rather just play Rock Band

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rebellion acquires Razorworks
14. Re: No subject Jul 20, 2008, 17:42 Ventura

Wow, there's been a Shataan and a Sadogoat post in here. There's some names from the past

Strangely enough, I ended up preferring the second AvP to the first. I became a bit disillusioned with the first, however, and didn't follow the progress of the sequel even nearly as closely. That might have something to do with it; your own anticipation for a game can often kill it.

From time to time over the past few years I've wondered what you two thought about the AvP movies that have since been released. Whatever your opinions, I think it's fair to state that the franchise's potential hasn't even nearly been reached, and the same could be said for the games also.

News Comments > Good Old Games Coming (Back)
9. Re: CD Projekt ROCKS!! Jul 10, 2008, 18:02 Ventura

Magic Carpet, baby!

I particularly like the bit about the old games being updated to run on current hardware. This website has got to be worth adding as a favourite.

News Comments > Diablo III Announced
22. Re: Nice Jun 28, 2008, 11:38 Ventura

Ooh yeah. You just know it's going to be good.

Or at the very least, you know it'll be well supported. And with the way the industry is these days, I'd buy it for that alone.

News Comments > Crytek: PC Sales to Piracy Ratio 1:15 or 1:20
42. Re: No subject Jun 27, 2008, 21:07 Ventura

Does anyone else who actually bought Crysis get the feeling they care more about those that didn't buy their product than those of us that did?

They keep this up and they've got buckley's chance of me picking up Warhead.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Vegas 2 Fan Pack Details
10. Re: Wut? Jun 27, 2008, 12:03 Ventura

Was hopin they fixed that...

Yeah you and me both.

I was reading a bit quick though, but that new High Stakes option is actually only playable in the versus modes, which means I couldn't play with those changes in Terrorist Hunt anyway.

I'm not holding out much hope that the fix to Terrorist Hunt spawning is going to be a significant one, but it will be interesting to see.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Vegas 2 Fan Pack Details
8. Re: Wut? Jun 27, 2008, 11:32 Ventura

Actually yeah, the second game is far superior. At least as far as cooping the single player campaign goes.

This is an impressive update for those of us who have the game. Believe it or not, but I bought two copies of this one on the pc (yeah, my fiancee actually enjoys playing this).

If you read the full update, they even make mention of a "high stakes" setting designed to make the game more tactical. Combined with the fix to how the terrorists spawn in the Terrorist Hunt mode, and I must admit I'm looking forward to downloading this thing

News Comments > Far Cry 2 is Long
10. Re: No subject May 29, 2008, 00:28 Ventura

Bottom line?

I'd take 25 hours of coopable gameplay over 50 hours of typical single player any day of the week.

I never could understand what was the point of going to all thr trouble to create truly stunning experiences that couldn't be shared with a friend.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: that guitar game May 23, 2008, 03:58 Ventura

And there was a patch issued for bug fixes on March 20th...it doesn't matter if you choose to count it or not, there were bugfixes.

Ahh yes, that would be the DLC store patch I mentioned. And as far as the ps3 version of Rock Band is concerned, all that really did was introduce more problems. Along with the unnecessary "loading additional content" slowdown on startup, scrolling through the songlist in solo tour or band world tour now lags quite considerably.

Following the financial success of Guitar Hero 3, Activision announced that Guitar Hero had becomes a billion-dollar franchise. Neversoft may be many things, but desperate won't be one of them.

I don't want Rock Band to fail, but Harmonix have some work to do.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. that guitar game May 22, 2008, 18:14 Ventura

That Guitar Hero game is going to own Rock Band.

At first I love what Harmonix did with Rock Band, but I don't love how they then sat on their hands for the following half a year and have done nothing but release new tracks that you have to pay for.

No content updates, no new features... not even a bugfix. Oh, and the DLC store patch doesn't count.

It's time for Harmonix to get back from their Christmas vacation and actually do something.

News Comments > DOOM 4 Announced
36. Re: No subject May 7, 2008, 17:59 Ventura

I bought Doom 3 on release day as I was a huge fan of 1 and 2. Big mistake. I won't do the same with Doom 4, because Doom 3 was a colossal fuckup, and like someone else has said, I didn't even play through the whole thing.

The days of me buying Idsoftware titles just because they're from ID are long gone. This one is gonna actually have to have some substance.

News Comments > Crytek to End PC Exclusives
11. Re: Cant Blame Them Apr 30, 2008, 10:18 Ventura

Ultimately, good games sell well. Doesn't really matter the platform. Look at Sins, or basically, anything from Blizzard. Starcraft 2 is going to sell by the truckload, when it ever comes out.

Granted, I played Crysis all the way through the demo, and enjoyed it enough to purchase the special edition on release day. But then by the time I'd gotten to around about the same point in the full version, I'd lost interest. Can't really put my finger on why, but either way, I haven't touched it since.

Huge system requirements are alright if you've created the best game since sliced bread, but honestly, Crysis is nowhere near that good enough a game.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Vegas 2 Disk Space Issue
32. Re: No subject Apr 23, 2008, 18:10 Ventura

It's exactly how Vegas 1 worked, and that was never changed

There's a part of me that actually thinks its worse. All the time I spent playing Terrorist Hunt in the original, and I never actually saw one pop right in front of me. I've had it in Vegas 2 already at least half a dozen times, and I've only had the game about a week.

The sad thing is, if they had all the terrorists pop on startup, I'd imagine coding the range check to ensure that only those in the vicinity are alerted to your presence would be rather easy.

News Comments > MS on PC Gaming
35. Re: No subject Apr 23, 2008, 06:14 Ventura

The problem is that PC gaming is inferior to console gaming in many ways.

And it's superior to console gaming in many ways too.

Real-time strategies and first-person shooters are the games I typically enjoy playing the most, and playing both is all about the mouse.

Until such time as they get a keyboard and mouse working natively on a console, the pc will always be my premier gaming platform, and if it's really going to die, then I'll be going down with the ship.

News Comments > Vivendi/Activision Approved
7. Re: ... Apr 16, 2008, 21:08 Ventura

let's just hope it delivers for gamers

And it'd be a first if it did.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Vegas 2 Patch
21. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2008, 18:22 Ventura

More like 92% of the time. And this was on "Realistic" difficulty too. The third-person cover system pretty much ensures that if you get shot, you can just pop back behind cover and heal

That depends how good the cover you've got is. I've been taken out many times while under cover, especially when I'm under fire from more than one opponent. I think it's a gross exaggeration to state that returning to cover once you've been hurt is just going to be the answer to your problems pretty much all the time.

I'd make the levels open-ended again, put the mission planning back in, take out regenerating health, take out the third-person cover system, take out the highly-scripted enemy encounters, etc. Basically, I'd remove everything that makes the game not tactical.

I think it's a safe bet that most people didn't really like the mission planning setup. I wouldn't take out the cover system, but yeah I'd prefer if health didn't regenerate.

As far as the scripted encounters goes, this kinda leads me to one of the big problems I have with the game. The single player campaign has been a blast, but I hate how the Terrorist Hunt mode spawns the bad guys as you play. I'll go into a room, turn a corner and shoot a guy to get their attention, then get popped as I'm on my way back out for cover by someone who I know wasn't there a moment ago. I saw tangos spawn almost right next to my partner in a game a couple days ago. Spawning well in advance of entry is fine, but if you have to actually go inside a room to make the bad guys in there spawn, that's a no-no.

This is the only thing that's really shitting me about Vegas, because I don't believe any other version of Rainbow Six has done it this way, and it's infuriating.

19. Re: My point of view Apr 16, 2008, 03:59 Ventura

I'm glad your enjoying the game. I can only speak for myself when I say this though. The older R6 games were rock solid in design & tactics. The Red Storm guys really focused on realism, tactics, and thinking through the situation. Like with most "shooters" today they have been dumbed down to the simplest denominator. I'll give you a few examples of GOOD tactical shooters for reference. Many Americans today are just to lazy & bored by real tactical shooters. They want to "push the fire button" not learn how to fire an actual M136-AT4

It's a financial consideration. Yeah I grew up playing Rainbow Six too, but we're a minority group, and it doesn't pay well enough to develop the sort of game that we'd like because there just aren't enough of us.

That doesn't mean I can't find any fun to be had from Vegas though, and I'm quite surprised at just how much I'm getting. Maybe I should fire up a round of Rogue Spear again however, just for old time's sake.

I'm curious though, what would you change if you could? Slower running speed? More damage? Don't like the cover system? I can't help thinking it's not nearly as bad as you're making out, because if you run straight into the middle of a room with tangos, you're still gonna get fried.

12. Re: Tactical..LOL Apr 15, 2008, 18:04 Ventura

Am I really the only one really enjoying this game? The official forums are covered in negativity, and even here, there's comments about how it's not tactical and how there are bugs (which is true of any game).

All I know is, I've been cooping the storyline with my fiancee, and it's a blast. This is not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, and I certainly hope it doesn't prove to be the last Tom Clancy shooter we're gonna see on the pc.

News Comments > The SimCity Box Announced
12. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2008, 04:15 Ventura

I'm guessing what with all the talking everyone's doing around here that Societies is still pretty much shit, even despite all the patching they've done to it lately.

Is it that, or is it just that it doesn't feel enough like a SimCity game?

News Comments > Rockstar Acquires Mad Doc
14. Re: Scholarship Edition Apr 5, 2008, 09:10 Ventura

"The team at Mad Doc Software is extremely talented"

He can't have played Empire Earth 3 or Star Trek Legacy then. EE3 in particular, my god, what a terrible game.

Mad Doc is an example of a crap developer that just refuses to die. They're like a cat the way they always land on their fucking feet. They shoulda disbanded after EE3, but somehow they always survive.

This all said, they weren't responsible for either the original Empire Earth nor the original Star Trek Armada. While I'm pretty sure the first Armada was developed by an in-house team at Activision, the first Empire Earth was developed by Stainless Steel Studios.

643 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo