Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 275885
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 625 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > The SimCity Box Announced
12. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2008, 04:15 Ventura

I'm guessing what with all the talking everyone's doing around here that Societies is still pretty much shit, even despite all the patching they've done to it lately.

Is it that, or is it just that it doesn't feel enough like a SimCity game?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rockstar Acquires Mad Doc
14. Re: Scholarship Edition Apr 5, 2008, 09:10 Ventura

"The team at Mad Doc Software is extremely talented"

He can't have played Empire Earth 3 or Star Trek Legacy then. EE3 in particular, my god, what a terrible game.

Mad Doc is an example of a crap developer that just refuses to die. They're like a cat the way they always land on their fucking feet. They shoulda disbanded after EE3, but somehow they always survive.

This all said, they weren't responsible for either the original Empire Earth nor the original Star Trek Armada. While I'm pretty sure the first Armada was developed by an in-house team at Activision, the first Empire Earth was developed by Stainless Steel Studios.

News Comments > Major Rock Band Update This Week
25. Re: No subject Mar 20, 2008, 19:57 Ventura

The in-game store has been sorely needed. Really glad they did that

You what?

Band World Tour being playable online is "sorely needed".

The in-game store is a gimmick designed to draw attention to the DLC being added all the time, which in turn will (hopefully) increase sales.

Hell, the "more diverse songs in Band World Tour" fix is a more welcome update than the store.

News Comments > Sweeney: PCs Good for Anything... But Games
13. Re: No subject Mar 10, 2008, 21:30 Ventura

Anyone see a pattern emerging here?

Yes, what we have here is yet another overhyped developer blaming the platform because he couldn't make a good game again if his life depended on it.

You're running a little late there Tim, Peter Molyneux and Chris Taylor already beat you to it. Guys, the pc is no less a platform now than it was back when games like Unreal and Total Annihilation got you where you are today.

You want proof? Stardock. Look at how happy they are with how Sins of a Solar Empire is selling. Great game, great support, great company. Not that you'd know about any of that.

Makes me laugh how they're always so quick to point the finger when the reality is, these bastards just aren't any good at it anymore.

News Comments > Guitar Hero and the Rock and Roll HoF
1. Bah Mar 6, 2008, 22:30 Ventura

I just cannot stand Activision anymore. Ever since they blocked the Rock Band patch enabling compatibility with the ps3 Guitar Hero controller, I've wanted nothing to do with them.

Yeah I know, it's their hardware, they're quite within their rights. Blah blah blah. Bunch of wankers.

Funny thing is, I don't even have that controller, but I was ready to buy one. Kinda ironic really, that it became their first product in my boycott.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire Q&A
9. Re: No subject Feb 24, 2008, 05:18 Ventura

Anyone else been waiting a while for an update on their online purchase with this one?

I bought mine back on 7th, and it's now 24th, so I sent em an email. Yeah you get to download it, but I'm kinda looking forward to getting that package in the mail aswell.

That said, what a great game

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
18. Re: RROD Feb 21, 2008, 05:24 Ventura

Hey, I'll spot anybody one. Even two, which I think is significantly less likely. Anything more than that, and you start to defy the law of averages

Assuming a 30% failure rate (which is probably generous), there is a 9% chance of someone having two consoles fail on them, and a 2.7% chance of someone having three fail.

2.7% is slightly greater than 1 in 50, so it's not a reach to expect that it's happened to several people if you consider how many 360's have been sold.

If I were you, I wouldn't do too much talking about the law of averages if you're not really all that sure how it works

13. Re: RROD Feb 20, 2008, 16:17 Ventura

Not really. Considering the failure rate at 16% - something tells me anyone that goes through 4 is doing something wrong.

Or they could just be unlucky.

Mate, the odds of winning the lottery out here in Australia are just under 6 billion to 1, but wouldn't you know it, at least a dozen people get it every time it jackpots.

There are always going to be people well ahead of the curve, just as there are those well behind it. That's why they call it an average. My launch console is still ok, even though the only reason that's probably so is because I'm so bored with that console it's never on long enough to heat up

10. Re: RROD Feb 20, 2008, 06:02 Ventura

That's something like the 4th time you've posted you've had four XBOX 360s go tits up. We get it. You shouldn't have a console. Try not parking your 360 under a heat lamp, or pouring water on it.

You make it sound like you have to go out of your way to kill one, which is obviously not the case. Compared to some of the stories I've heard, only having gone through four is actually pretty good going, believe it or not.

In any case, the guy's had a negative experience and he's sharing it. If you don't like it, don't read it.

News Comments > HD Format War Ends
1. Bah Feb 17, 2008, 15:23 Ventura

Despite having a ps3, I actually preferred HDDVD. I just found everything, from the menus to the movie itself, to be more impressive.

Ultimately Sony had more money than Toshiba to throw at studio exclusivity, and that's what's turned the tide here. I don't believe Blu-Ray to be the superior format here atall.

Oh well. RIP HDDVD.

News Comments > More (and Moore) on NFL Exclusivity
3. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2008, 16:04 Ventura

So at first at Microsoft he had to explain the 360's huge failure rates, and now at EA they've got him defending exclusivity (like as if it could possibly be a good thing).

Man, this poor guy gets all the shit jobs.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire Patch Plans
71. Re: No subject Feb 10, 2008, 09:59 Ventura

I'm not quite that guy

Was just something I was curious about.

Tonight I got mucking around with the GalaxyForge editor, and I'm very impressed how relatively easy it is to create maps for this game.

Like a few others on the official forum however, I'm looking forward to being able to modify those .entity files. There are just going to end up being so many mods created for this truly wonderful game.

Honestly, I'll buy every expansion/sequel/whatever that gets made for this one.

69. Re: No subject Feb 10, 2008, 06:59 Ventura

They started shipping on the first I believe but if you just ordered it probably not until Monday

Cool, since you're obviously the guy to ask; we'll get a shipping email with a USPS tracking link right?

65. Re: No subject Feb 10, 2008, 00:37 Ventura

There is actually a DL + Collector's Edition Box option there besides just digital download. This allows you to download it right away and the CE Box with all the goodies will show up in the mail.

Yeah that's what I went with, and it's perfect for being able to get best of both worlds. You get download (and play now), AND you get a box sent out to you. It's like win/win.

I'll get the box well before it shows up in stores out here in Australia too. For some reason, it won't hit until 18th April. No way I was going to wait that long.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 00:38.

61. Re: No subject Feb 8, 2008, 21:33 Ventura

Wow, how does talk about an RTS turn into talk about prices and quality of strippers?

I honestly would like to know.

It was my fault; I said SoaSE was the best $60 I've ever spent.

Truth be told I've only been at a club once, but that one time, I must've spent in excess of about $200 (Aussie). It was a mate's bucks night, and myself and two more of his mates all paid a bit extra for a private screening. Ooh yeah, baby.

SoaSE is still the best $60 I've ever spent though

15. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2008, 16:01 Ventura

How can so much awesome be found in just one company?

Probably because there's so little awesome to be found in most other companies. It's easy to shine when you're the only bright star in the game development sky

Buying this game was a no-brainer. Easiest $60 I've ever spent.

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire
78. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2008, 03:45 Ventura

Just wanna add here that I fucking love Stardock. Not just for their games, but also their customer service.

The whole Stardock Central thing really works, and I love how you can buy the box, but still download now and get playing while they'll mail out the dvd. Great thing is too, if I ever lose my GalCiv2 cds, I can just have it reinstall that game for me, expansions and all.

SoaSE is totally worth buying. Finally, I've got something for those evenings after work when I'm just a bit too tired to drum on Rock Band

News Comments > 10 Million WoW Clients Need Patching
10. Re: 10 Million X $15 per month Jan 22, 2008, 16:10 Ventura

10 million people is a fuckload of servers & support.

Ok so 10 million x $15 equals about $150 million every month.

Somehow, I think they can afford it. Easily.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 16:11.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Guitar Standoff Comes Down to Money Dec 21, 2007, 02:25 Ventura

This would've been a great Christmas present from Activision. The ability to use the controllers we've already paid for in another game, so I can fill out a four-person band on Christmas day instead of having to settle for three.

They could've done it for the fans, rather than try to get money out of Harmonix for a patch that they didn't have to work to provide whatsoever. Their goodwill would've guaranteed a Guitar Hero 4 purchase from me down the track.

But no. It was too much to fucking ask. I am never buying an Activision product again. Ever. Bunch of cunts, the lot of em.

News Comments > id Software Community Game Day
2. Re: No subject Dec 15, 2007, 07:35 Ventura

Wow, we could a chance of facing off against id software themselves??!

Heh, 10 years ago that might've meant something. Couldn't give a rat's ass now though. Oh how the times have changed.

625 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo