Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 275885
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 635 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: that guitar game May 23, 2008, 03:58 Ventura

And there was a patch issued for bug fixes on March 20th...it doesn't matter if you choose to count it or not, there were bugfixes.

Ahh yes, that would be the DLC store patch I mentioned. And as far as the ps3 version of Rock Band is concerned, all that really did was introduce more problems. Along with the unnecessary "loading additional content" slowdown on startup, scrolling through the songlist in solo tour or band world tour now lags quite considerably.

Following the financial success of Guitar Hero 3, Activision announced that Guitar Hero had becomes a billion-dollar franchise. Neversoft may be many things, but desperate won't be one of them.

I don't want Rock Band to fail, but Harmonix have some work to do.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1. that guitar game May 22, 2008, 18:14 Ventura

That Guitar Hero game is going to own Rock Band.

At first I love what Harmonix did with Rock Band, but I don't love how they then sat on their hands for the following half a year and have done nothing but release new tracks that you have to pay for.

No content updates, no new features... not even a bugfix. Oh, and the DLC store patch doesn't count.

It's time for Harmonix to get back from their Christmas vacation and actually do something.

News Comments > DOOM 4 Announced
36. Re: No subject May 7, 2008, 17:59 Ventura

I bought Doom 3 on release day as I was a huge fan of 1 and 2. Big mistake. I won't do the same with Doom 4, because Doom 3 was a colossal fuckup, and like someone else has said, I didn't even play through the whole thing.

The days of me buying Idsoftware titles just because they're from ID are long gone. This one is gonna actually have to have some substance.

News Comments > Crytek to End PC Exclusives
11. Re: Cant Blame Them Apr 30, 2008, 10:18 Ventura

Ultimately, good games sell well. Doesn't really matter the platform. Look at Sins, or basically, anything from Blizzard. Starcraft 2 is going to sell by the truckload, when it ever comes out.

Granted, I played Crysis all the way through the demo, and enjoyed it enough to purchase the special edition on release day. But then by the time I'd gotten to around about the same point in the full version, I'd lost interest. Can't really put my finger on why, but either way, I haven't touched it since.

Huge system requirements are alright if you've created the best game since sliced bread, but honestly, Crysis is nowhere near that good enough a game.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Vegas 2 Disk Space Issue
32. Re: No subject Apr 23, 2008, 18:10 Ventura

It's exactly how Vegas 1 worked, and that was never changed

There's a part of me that actually thinks its worse. All the time I spent playing Terrorist Hunt in the original, and I never actually saw one pop right in front of me. I've had it in Vegas 2 already at least half a dozen times, and I've only had the game about a week.

The sad thing is, if they had all the terrorists pop on startup, I'd imagine coding the range check to ensure that only those in the vicinity are alerted to your presence would be rather easy.

News Comments > MS on PC Gaming
35. Re: No subject Apr 23, 2008, 06:14 Ventura

The problem is that PC gaming is inferior to console gaming in many ways.

And it's superior to console gaming in many ways too.

Real-time strategies and first-person shooters are the games I typically enjoy playing the most, and playing both is all about the mouse.

Until such time as they get a keyboard and mouse working natively on a console, the pc will always be my premier gaming platform, and if it's really going to die, then I'll be going down with the ship.

News Comments > Vivendi/Activision Approved
7. Re: ... Apr 16, 2008, 21:08 Ventura

let's just hope it delivers for gamers

And it'd be a first if it did.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Vegas 2 Patch
21. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2008, 18:22 Ventura

More like 92% of the time. And this was on "Realistic" difficulty too. The third-person cover system pretty much ensures that if you get shot, you can just pop back behind cover and heal

That depends how good the cover you've got is. I've been taken out many times while under cover, especially when I'm under fire from more than one opponent. I think it's a gross exaggeration to state that returning to cover once you've been hurt is just going to be the answer to your problems pretty much all the time.

I'd make the levels open-ended again, put the mission planning back in, take out regenerating health, take out the third-person cover system, take out the highly-scripted enemy encounters, etc. Basically, I'd remove everything that makes the game not tactical.

I think it's a safe bet that most people didn't really like the mission planning setup. I wouldn't take out the cover system, but yeah I'd prefer if health didn't regenerate.

As far as the scripted encounters goes, this kinda leads me to one of the big problems I have with the game. The single player campaign has been a blast, but I hate how the Terrorist Hunt mode spawns the bad guys as you play. I'll go into a room, turn a corner and shoot a guy to get their attention, then get popped as I'm on my way back out for cover by someone who I know wasn't there a moment ago. I saw tangos spawn almost right next to my partner in a game a couple days ago. Spawning well in advance of entry is fine, but if you have to actually go inside a room to make the bad guys in there spawn, that's a no-no.

This is the only thing that's really shitting me about Vegas, because I don't believe any other version of Rainbow Six has done it this way, and it's infuriating.

19. Re: My point of view Apr 16, 2008, 03:59 Ventura

I'm glad your enjoying the game. I can only speak for myself when I say this though. The older R6 games were rock solid in design & tactics. The Red Storm guys really focused on realism, tactics, and thinking through the situation. Like with most "shooters" today they have been dumbed down to the simplest denominator. I'll give you a few examples of GOOD tactical shooters for reference. Many Americans today are just to lazy & bored by real tactical shooters. They want to "push the fire button" not learn how to fire an actual M136-AT4

It's a financial consideration. Yeah I grew up playing Rainbow Six too, but we're a minority group, and it doesn't pay well enough to develop the sort of game that we'd like because there just aren't enough of us.

That doesn't mean I can't find any fun to be had from Vegas though, and I'm quite surprised at just how much I'm getting. Maybe I should fire up a round of Rogue Spear again however, just for old time's sake.

I'm curious though, what would you change if you could? Slower running speed? More damage? Don't like the cover system? I can't help thinking it's not nearly as bad as you're making out, because if you run straight into the middle of a room with tangos, you're still gonna get fried.

12. Re: Tactical..LOL Apr 15, 2008, 18:04 Ventura

Am I really the only one really enjoying this game? The official forums are covered in negativity, and even here, there's comments about how it's not tactical and how there are bugs (which is true of any game).

All I know is, I've been cooping the storyline with my fiancee, and it's a blast. This is not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, and I certainly hope it doesn't prove to be the last Tom Clancy shooter we're gonna see on the pc.

News Comments > The SimCity Box Announced
12. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2008, 04:15 Ventura

I'm guessing what with all the talking everyone's doing around here that Societies is still pretty much shit, even despite all the patching they've done to it lately.

Is it that, or is it just that it doesn't feel enough like a SimCity game?

News Comments > Rockstar Acquires Mad Doc
14. Re: Scholarship Edition Apr 5, 2008, 09:10 Ventura

"The team at Mad Doc Software is extremely talented"

He can't have played Empire Earth 3 or Star Trek Legacy then. EE3 in particular, my god, what a terrible game.

Mad Doc is an example of a crap developer that just refuses to die. They're like a cat the way they always land on their fucking feet. They shoulda disbanded after EE3, but somehow they always survive.

This all said, they weren't responsible for either the original Empire Earth nor the original Star Trek Armada. While I'm pretty sure the first Armada was developed by an in-house team at Activision, the first Empire Earth was developed by Stainless Steel Studios.

News Comments > Major Rock Band Update This Week
25. Re: No subject Mar 20, 2008, 19:57 Ventura

The in-game store has been sorely needed. Really glad they did that

You what?

Band World Tour being playable online is "sorely needed".

The in-game store is a gimmick designed to draw attention to the DLC being added all the time, which in turn will (hopefully) increase sales.

Hell, the "more diverse songs in Band World Tour" fix is a more welcome update than the store.

News Comments > Sweeney: PCs Good for Anything... But Games
13. Re: No subject Mar 10, 2008, 21:30 Ventura

Anyone see a pattern emerging here?

Yes, what we have here is yet another overhyped developer blaming the platform because he couldn't make a good game again if his life depended on it.

You're running a little late there Tim, Peter Molyneux and Chris Taylor already beat you to it. Guys, the pc is no less a platform now than it was back when games like Unreal and Total Annihilation got you where you are today.

You want proof? Stardock. Look at how happy they are with how Sins of a Solar Empire is selling. Great game, great support, great company. Not that you'd know about any of that.

Makes me laugh how they're always so quick to point the finger when the reality is, these bastards just aren't any good at it anymore.

News Comments > Guitar Hero and the Rock and Roll HoF
1. Bah Mar 6, 2008, 22:30 Ventura

I just cannot stand Activision anymore. Ever since they blocked the Rock Band patch enabling compatibility with the ps3 Guitar Hero controller, I've wanted nothing to do with them.

Yeah I know, it's their hardware, they're quite within their rights. Blah blah blah. Bunch of wankers.

Funny thing is, I don't even have that controller, but I was ready to buy one. Kinda ironic really, that it became their first product in my boycott.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire Q&A
9. Re: No subject Feb 24, 2008, 05:18 Ventura

Anyone else been waiting a while for an update on their online purchase with this one?

I bought mine back on 7th, and it's now 24th, so I sent em an email. Yeah you get to download it, but I'm kinda looking forward to getting that package in the mail aswell.

That said, what a great game

18. Re: RROD Feb 21, 2008, 05:24 Ventura

Hey, I'll spot anybody one. Even two, which I think is significantly less likely. Anything more than that, and you start to defy the law of averages

Assuming a 30% failure rate (which is probably generous), there is a 9% chance of someone having two consoles fail on them, and a 2.7% chance of someone having three fail.

2.7% is slightly greater than 1 in 50, so it's not a reach to expect that it's happened to several people if you consider how many 360's have been sold.

If I were you, I wouldn't do too much talking about the law of averages if you're not really all that sure how it works

13. Re: RROD Feb 20, 2008, 16:17 Ventura

Not really. Considering the failure rate at 16% - something tells me anyone that goes through 4 is doing something wrong.

Or they could just be unlucky.

Mate, the odds of winning the lottery out here in Australia are just under 6 billion to 1, but wouldn't you know it, at least a dozen people get it every time it jackpots.

There are always going to be people well ahead of the curve, just as there are those well behind it. That's why they call it an average. My launch console is still ok, even though the only reason that's probably so is because I'm so bored with that console it's never on long enough to heat up

10. Re: RROD Feb 20, 2008, 06:02 Ventura

That's something like the 4th time you've posted you've had four XBOX 360s go tits up. We get it. You shouldn't have a console. Try not parking your 360 under a heat lamp, or pouring water on it.

You make it sound like you have to go out of your way to kill one, which is obviously not the case. Compared to some of the stories I've heard, only having gone through four is actually pretty good going, believe it or not.

In any case, the guy's had a negative experience and he's sharing it. If you don't like it, don't read it.

News Comments > HD Format War Ends
1. Bah Feb 17, 2008, 15:23 Ventura

Despite having a ps3, I actually preferred HDDVD. I just found everything, from the menus to the movie itself, to be more impressive.

Ultimately Sony had more money than Toshiba to throw at studio exclusivity, and that's what's turned the tide here. I don't believe Blu-Ray to be the superior format here atall.

Oh well. RIP HDDVD.

635 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo