Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 275885
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 632 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Trek Online Interview
17. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 28, 2008, 02:48 Ventura

I'll buy it because it's Star Trek and I'm a Trekkie (granted, I didn't buy Star Trek Legacy, but I said I was a Trekkie, not that I was stupid).

I'm not surprised everyone starts off as Captain, even though it is a little disappointing. They probably tried setting it up so that you have to scrub plasma conduits on someone else's ship to make your way up to Lieutenent, but then realised that wasn't very much fun

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Profitability Clarification
10. Re: Game Profitability Clarification Nov 24, 2008, 16:14 Ventura

Ah, so companies should be satisfied with good enough?

You're missing the point.

The idea is to make a lot of money, so if it makes just a little money, well, that's not enough to be deemed "profitable".

In our humble eyes, it probably would be, but you know these suits, they want enough to be able to have their cake AND eat it too.

Incidentally, 4% seems awfully low for an industry where so many sequels tend to get released. You know, Sims, Need for Speed, Neverwinter Nights, all the CSI games, Command and Conquer, all of the Blizzard and EASports sequels, GTA, Fallout, Tomb Raider, Far Cry, Call of Duty... etc... etc... etc...

If only 4% of games returned a significant profit, we wouldn't have nearly so many sequels.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire Hotfix
2. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire Hotfix Nov 22, 2008, 05:32 Ventura

A bit amusing to see a hotfix released for this so quickly, what with v1.1 having been delayed for so long.  

News Comments > Gearbox Seeking Testers
2. Re: Gearbox Seeking Testers Nov 13, 2008, 20:40 Ventura

I'll take a pass since I'm beta testing too many RELEASED games right now, fuck you very much.

Hehe. Fuck that made me laugh.

News Comments > Supreme Commander 2 Announced
18. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Announced Nov 12, 2008, 15:46 Ventura

Sorry to say, but I am so over Chris Taylor. If he truly is the man most responsible for TA (am I the only one who has my doubts here?), then that means it's been over 11 years since he released something that I felt was really worth writing home about.

Titles like Dungeon Siege and Supreme Commander 1, I went out and bought on release day, but with each release he seems to just abandon his titles quicker and quicker. The expansion to Supreme Commander, which was supposed to make things better, just made it worse.

I'm at the point now where I don't care whether Supreme Commander 2 comes out for the pc or not.

News Comments > Beatles Music Game "Not a 'Rock Band' Game"
4. Re: Beatles Music Game Oct 30, 2008, 16:24 Ventura

I would guess this project will end up much like the GH:Aerosmith that was released. It will be a celebration of their legacy and you'll play through their career, perhaps as the characters themselves. I don't mind what they do so long as the tracks can be exported to Rock Band 2, and the "article about the conference call" states that existing controllers will be compatible.  

News Comments > Newell: Gamers Smarter than Publishers
6. Re: bah Oct 17, 2008, 10:25 Ventura

There's a lot that goes in the whole process and I don't think the publisher is the only or even primary influence in the game's quality.

Not the only influence, for sure, but I do shudder to think how many potentially good games we've missed out on over the years because the publisher grew impatient. Granted, we've probably missed out on just as many because the developer sucked too (Mad Doc Software comes to mind).

Either way, I think it's fair to say that without a good publisher and a good developer, any game is pretty much screwed.

News Comments > Newell: Gamers Smarter than Publishers
1. bah Oct 17, 2008, 09:15 Ventura

This is a no-brainer, really.

The problem is that the average publisher doesn't give a crap how to make a good game. They're only interested in making money, and since that desire supersedes everything else, their solution is to stuff the retail channels with garbage in the hope that it will sell.

Good games take hard work and passion, not something most publishers are known for.

News Comments > Morning Chuckle
3. Re: Zing Oct 13, 2008, 04:08 Ventura

Hehe, I particularly like the bit about the manual being split up.

News Comments > WoW Paid Customization Coming
33. Re: No subject Oct 13, 2008, 00:30 Ventura

What MMOs allow you to change your class/race/gender/face for free?

What MMOs allow you to change your class/race/gender atall?

I had a level 20ish toon that I rerolled in EQ ages ago because even though I liked the class, I didn't like the race I'd chosen. Seems like these days though anything you want can just be purchased if you're willing to cough up the money.

Eventually there will end up more than one subscription model for these games. You'll get services like "basic" and "premium", and the premium model will cost a small fortune to maintain.

As I said in a previous post, RIP Blizzard.

14. Re: What's the monthly subscription for?! Oct 12, 2008, 17:43 Ventura

Prado went through the three options they were considering (not letting the crowd know which way they had gone) and the FANS CHEERED for the option to make 3 epic campaigns, but selling them separately. The other two got "boo"s and silence respectively.

I have a feeling that one was all about how they worded it.

Did the FANS CHEER as much with the news about the paid character customization in WoW, I wonder.

News Comments > Weekly Q&A Roundup
1. heh Oct 12, 2008, 16:35 Ventura

Next up on Develop Magazine, an interview with Brad Gates of Microsoft!!

9. Re: ... Oct 12, 2008, 16:31 Ventura

First they slice Starcraft 2 into little pieces to be able to sell it a few times over, now you can pay more money to have your WoW character customised.

I think it's pretty clear that it's now Activision calling the shots over there.

RIP Blizzard.

News Comments > StarCraft II Trisected
60. Re: No subject Oct 11, 2008, 03:10 Ventura

Blizzard doesn't need fans like you. Countless millions will still deem their games worthy of purchases because they trust them to make games just as they always have.

I thought the same way about ID software once. Then I bought Doom 3. You trust developers to treat you right, because they did once, and sooner or later they will rob you blind.

Oh, but it's Blizzard, they wouldn't do it to me. Newsflash mate, Activision would, and guess who's calling the shots these days.

Or would you have us believe it's just coincidence?

Still, I want to live a day in your world. By all means, tell me all about the awesome games you don't have the time to play. Seriously. My Rock Band drum set is deteriorating pretty badly anyway, and I could use something refreshing.

News Comments > StarCraft II Trisected
39. Re: No subject Oct 11, 2008, 00:12 Ventura

just another bunch of angsty, jaded gamers who can never give any developer the benefit of the doubt in a controversial situation

Yeah, like the average developer has been looking out for us for so long now. Exactly what planet have you been living on all these years?

And as such, I have no reason to doubt them now...

No reason? They merge with Activision and then do a complete 180 on how they always used to operate. Whatever happened to "when it's done"??

Like someone said above, this is the new Blizzard, and the sooner we get used to it, the better.

News Comments > Wrath of the Ban Hammer in Kane's Wrath
1. it's bad? Oct 6, 2008, 05:14 Ventura

I've heard the Kane's Wrath expansion is *really* bad.

If they banned any more accounts, would there be anyone left playing?

News Comments > AU Retailers: "Wait Out" Silent Hill Ban
11. Re: No subject Oct 1, 2008, 07:01 Ventura

Censorship has it's place. I'm glad you can't buy snuff movies over the counter. Things like that have no place in society

Where do you draw the line though? You might be perfectly acceptable with any number of things that others may feel "have no place in society". Likewise, others may feel snuff movies are perfectly acceptable provided they are viewed only in the privacy of one's own home.

You're either really for censorship (of this nature) or against it. If you approve of it's use, then you can't really complain about the position at which they have drawn the line.

News Comments > AU Retailers: "Wait Out" Silent Hill Ban
8. Re: ... Oct 1, 2008, 05:37 Ventura

Censorship sucks. Always has, always will.

I'm a 34 year old adult living in Western Australia and there's stuff I'm not allowed to play because their highest rating is 15+? Huh?

News Comments > Vivendi UK Closing, Ghostbusters Still in Limbo
2. Re: No subject Sep 4, 2008, 17:54 Ventura

As always, I can only hope that this resulting company ends up as much like Blizzard and as little like Activision as possible.

All the talk of layoffs though, we're not exactly off to a flying start here.

News Comments > WAR Bonus with RA3
9. Re: why? Sep 3, 2008, 09:06 Ventura

theyd rather cater to the people that have endless amounts of disposable income, rather than those that dont

So pissing off the vast majority at the expense of a small minority just because that small minority has got a lot more money makes a lot of sense in your book?

Tell you what; try a business like that, see how far you get, then come back and say it's a good idea

632 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo