Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 275885
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 639 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > 1993 Visit to id Video
8. Re: 1993 Visit to id Video Apr 6, 2009, 19:04 Ventura

Guys, you've got to eat your vegetables!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gold - Demigod
19. Re: Gold - Demigod Apr 6, 2009, 18:55 Ventura

Normally, I'd agree with you, but Stardock's also behind this one. If nothing else, Stardock's post-release support is phenomenal. After they finish getting Demigod out the door, Stardock plans on releasing another AI tweak/bugfix patch for GalCiv II.

And that's pretty much where I am with this one.

If it ends up more like a Gas Powered product, I'm going to steer well clear. But if it ends up more a Stardock product, it could well prove to be one of the best games to be released this year.

At the moment, who knows.

News Comments > Warren Spector on Game Prices
4. Re: Warren Spector on Game Prices Mar 30, 2009, 10:43 Ventura

Nice to see someone gets it.

New releases out here in Australia, on the consoles at any rate, top out in the triple digit range.

That's too much. I can buy four blu-ray movies at that price, or five movie tickets, or half a dozen music cds.

The last game I bought on either the PC, 360 or ps3 was Left 4 Dead on the PC. Before then, Rock Band 2 for my ps3. That's two purchases in about half a year. My 360 hasn't been on for far longer, and it's not because it red ringed on me.

Prices have to come down, there's no two ways about it. Seriously, no wonder people pirate.

News Comments > PC & Mac Guitar Hero: World Tour
7. Re: PC & Mac Guitar Hero: World Tour Mar 25, 2009, 18:49 Ventura

This is a living room game no one wants to huddle around a pc monitor with large controllers to try and play GH

Gee, haven't heard that one before. What's the average size of a monitor these days, 24"? Size keeps going up, price keeps going down. If you really can't see, I'd say your eyesight is a far bigger concern, and let's not forget that just about any TV screen you could buy these days will take a VGA or DVI input.

I really don't understand it at all - it is dance dance revolution with a different controller

Oh the voice of experience. Nothing quite like informed comments being made on actually having played something.

You might think it's crap, but try giving it a go. Only, Rock Band, not Guitar Hero. You might be surprised, but you have to be just a little open-minded. A little difficult, perhaps, but not impossible.

The reason I'm so for PC-versions of this game is that they should hopefully prove to be far more modifiable. That and, with any luck, both 360 and PS3 versions of either Guitar Hero or Rock Band hardware might work on it, which would be a huge plus.

News Comments > iPhone Wolf3D & DOOM "Fairly Soon"
1. Re: iPhone Wolf3D, DOOM "Fairly Soon" Mar 23, 2009, 21:31 Ventura

I can see me buying this when it hits the app store, provided it doesn't cost too much.

Can't wait to see Doom on it.

News Comments > Warcraft III Patches
8. Re: Warcraft III Patches Mar 23, 2009, 03:57 Ventura

I'm highly waiting for Starcraft 2

Me too, but I'm more interested in it's modding potential than anything else. I modded somewhat extensively in Warcraft 3, wrote a mod called VQuest. I never really modded that much for any other game, but thanks to Warcraft 3's trigger editor, you don't have to know how to write code atall.

If they've put the same sort of effort into the editor that ships with Starcraft 2, I'll definitely be spending some serious time modding for it.

News Comments > Star Trek D-A-C?
4. Re: Star Trek D-A-C? Mar 9, 2009, 21:31 Ventura

Pretty please be an RTS w/ base building.  

News Comments > Age of Conan Interview
10. Re: Age of Conan Interview Mar 8, 2009, 18:07 Ventura

They deviated so far off the path of what they promised that's why they lost their playerbase

Huh? It's not why they lost me. They lost me because of overcrowding and not enough content. It certainly didn't have anything to do with gear or skills.

Oh and yeah, I did come to the game for PvE. Quit with the generalisations.

News Comments > Demigod Interview
1. Re: Demigod Interview Mar 3, 2009, 17:12 Ventura

Urghh, Gas Powered Games. One disappointment after another.

Oh well, if there's any company that can motivate something actually half-decent out of them, Stardock is probably it. I'm looking on the bright side, at least Chris Taylor isn't calling the shots anymore.

News Comments > Mortal Kombat Sale Follow-up
10. Re: Mortal Kombat Sale Follow-up Mar 3, 2009, 16:59 Ventura

Those numbers should definitely be flipped the 110 people should get the 1 million and Boone should get the 325k

The sad thing is that even if they were flipped, he'd still get 35x what any of them would.

This is what's so wrong with the world today, you have an absolute minority taking well in excess of their fair share.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment Feb 25, 2009, 17:53 Ventura

So, my questions about Entrenchment must be...

How cool are the starbases? Are they worth building? If an opposing player were to warp into your system and then spot one, would he pretty much go "oh shit!"??

Oh yeah, and you can only build one in a game, right?

News Comments > Funcom Loses Cash, CFO
13. Re: Funcom Loses Cash, CFO Feb 23, 2009, 17:23 Ventura

It's not really the amount of the monthly fee that bothered me. It's that the game was incomplete, and that the further you got, the less content there was to keep you going.

I made it to about mid 40's, early 50's, and by that time I remember being in the one zone that you pretty much had to be in if you wanted to gain any more experience. To say it was packed was an understatement.

That's about the time I unsubscribed, and I haven't regretted it for a moment. You can't complain about losing money if the games you're releasing aren't finished.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Feb 18, 2009, 04:17 Ventura

It's far from being a bad game, but let's get real, it's not exactly a "how'd they do that?" title.  

News Comments > Aliens RPG Axed?
14. Re: Well it is more than clear.... Feb 12, 2009, 17:41 Ventura

I say we take off and nuke the entire Sega HQ from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

News Comments > New AvP; Colonial Marines Delay
28. Re: New Aliens vs. Predator Feb 12, 2009, 17:37 Ventura

I'd much rather they try than not try. I didn't dislike AvP2 as much as most, and even though I must admit to having preferred the original, I've had problems of late running that one on my computer.

Oh yeah, greets to Shataan and Sadogoat

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Patched
11. Re: Left 4 Dead Patched Jan 24, 2009, 05:17 Ventura

Not to mention there actually has been word on both

Great, I don't know about anyone else but I'm sure going to be able to sleep better at night now.

I love my coop, but the single player experience in L4D is the same shit over and over. Once the whole "it's cool how they rush" novelty thing wears off, you'll find yourself putting the game down pretty quickly.

They could patch crash bugs and exploits until the cows come home for the difference it makes to me. I won't be touching it again until the SDK is released and we start seeing some custom content.

Hype is hugest for a game at it's release. That's when they'd want to have the sdk ready to go. But no, they gotta pop it out a quarter of a year later. What are they doing, waiting until the point at which nobody cares?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 22, 2009, 15:51 Ventura

Guitar Hero World Tour: Aussie Track Pack

Everyone over at the Rock Band forums call Bobby Kotick and Activision the devil, and all that crap, but I don't see Harmonix releasing Aussie Track Packs for Rock Band. Hell, I don't see Harmonix doing anything for Australians.

News Comments > DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned
12. Re: DoW2 Patch & Maps Planned Jan 20, 2009, 15:32 Ventura

It uses the CoH engine so if you can run CoH well, you can probably run DoW2 well.

And wasn't the CoH engine really just a more advanced version of the original DoW engine?

It would be nice if the engine has again improved this significantly for DoW2.

News Comments > Gold - Dawn of War II
17. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II Jan 19, 2009, 15:39 Ventura

Yeah didn't they just start the beta test or something? Talk about the shortest beta in history.

I have a feeling that, while this game will end up holding it's own, it won't quite be the smash hit that the original was.

News Comments > Valve: "Pirates Are Underserved Customers"
35. Re: Valve: Jan 19, 2009, 03:26 Ventura

Technically, this doesn't prove anything. It's merely corroborating evidence. Other factors could have been radically different between those two time periods, including the ease of importing a game and the relative value of their currency (still rupples?) to USD.

You're picking nits, because you could never actually prove the reason why. Still, it does pay to think about these things with a little common sense.

People don't like having to wait for things. They also don't like being treated like they're second-rate customers.

Add to that the ease with which you can pirate PC games these days, and it really doesn't take a degree to work this out.

639 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo