Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 275885
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 625 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Trek Online Clip
16. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 7, 2009, 06:06 Ventura

Ouch, that did look a bit unimpressive, and that's coming from a Trekkie.

I'll end up getting it though. Resistance is futile.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Free Champions Online Retcon for Early Start Characters
14. Re: Free Champions Online Retcon for Ear Sep 4, 2009, 08:35 Ventura

It's Cryptic, they change things. The thing that bothers me is all the wailing and gnashing of teeth that ensues when such changes are made. Ow! my ears! Can you kids keep it down a little?

Well, I would be pissed, and I'll tell you why.

Waiting to patch such dramatic changes into the game on day one reeks of getting the money from the fans before putting it through. I just can't reach any other conclusion.

I read posts from several on those forums who said they ponied up the cash for a lifetime subscription, and now they feel burned. Of course they do, the product they have just paid for has dramatically changed.

This is an epic fail of an MMO release. It's got deceit written all over it. I was going to buy two copies of this next week when it finally arrives in Australia, but there's no way that's going to happen now.

News Comments > Champions Online Changes
18. Re: Champions Online Changes Sep 2, 2009, 22:28 Ventura

I mean, they got to level 40 in 3 days and now they can't play

Yeah, like, who do they think they are? Superheroes?

News Comments > Champions Online Changes
14. Re: Champions Online Changes Sep 2, 2009, 19:54 Ventura

Ouch. I had a read of that thread, and wow, it's gotten to like 130 pages in half a day or something. That's a lot of pissed gamers, and people don't forget that shit.

Fortunately Champions isn't actually released in Australia until next week, so that's just saved me a couple of purchases. Which is all good anyway, for me, since I expect to be sufficiently entertained by The Beatles: Rock Band

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2009, 19:55.

News Comments > Supreme Commander 2 Interview
14. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Interview Aug 24, 2009, 19:19 Ventura

we believe the success in this industry comes from continuing to evolve your games and to make them better

That's a pretty rich line coming from the man who abandons his games the moment that disc goes gold. Shouldn't you at least finish the first, before moving on to the second?

Something tells me if I buy Supreme Commander 2, it's a mistake I will live to regret.

News Comments > Sell Your StarCraft II Maps
39. Re: Sell Your StarCraft II Maps Aug 23, 2009, 19:27 Ventura

I thought more PC gamers would be against this kind of stuff, but I guess it's all over now

Sounds like someone's been taking all that free content for granted.

It's typically only ever been good for the developers of the game, with the modders extending it's life (and sales) for far longer than it would otherwise.

No, I'm all for this. It will promote a certain level of quality, too, as I can see only the absolute best maps ever selling enough to be worthwhile.

29. Re: Sell Your StarCraft II Maps Aug 23, 2009, 05:36 Ventura

Don't get me wrong, I definitely think something like DOTA is worth paying for in the state it is now - in fact I plan on getting HoN - but I doubt it would've been able to establish itself in the first place if it had started out with a price-tag

That's an excellent point. Nothing gets your stuff out there quite like it being free.

How much do authors get for apps on the iPhone store? I heard it was something like 70%, with Apple taking the other 30%. While that would seem like a good setup for Starcraft 2, I anticipate the reverse being more likely, with Blizzard taking the big 70%.

24. Re: Sell Your StarCraft II Maps Aug 23, 2009, 00:16 Ventura

Couple of bucks? What? We pay on average 99 cents for a music track. There is no way in hell buying single maps one at a time is worth more than 99 cents.

Wow, I'll be damned if I can figure out what the price of music has anything to do with it. Hey, next time, why not throw in a reference to the price of a cheeseburger at your local Maccas too?

For the rest of us who perhaps like our comparisons to be at least from the same industry, a good reference would be how much DLC is generally being charged for. The Call of Duty map packs available on the xbox live network, for example, generally cost about $10 and include 4 maps.

I would predict Starcraft 2 maps will max out in the $5 range. That would be for the premium, DOTA-level maps, those filled to the brim with custom units and abilities. While I suspect authors could charge more at their discretion, I don't see them ever selling any.

21. Re: Sell Your StarCraft II Maps Aug 22, 2009, 21:05 Ventura

As a Warcraft 3 map maker I'd love to have the option to charge for my content if I want. Clearly it gives the author of the mod the choice here, and there's nothing wrong with that. If I want to charge a couple bucks for my map, that's my choice. You don't want to buy it; walk the other way.

No harm done here.

News Comments > RAGE "Awesome on Mouse and Keyboard"
22. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 22, 2009, 05:25 Ventura

The problem with most pirates or part time pirates is they have a sense of entitlement... they want the game on their terms, with high review scores and a certain list of features and tech specs or they will steal your game

Sounds to me like game quality (or lack thereof) is still largely to blame.

I don't know what Wolfenstein has sold thus far, but if you could throw bots into multiplayer games or coop the single player campaign, it would have sold one more, maybe two (I bought two L4D's at $100AU each, so don't think I wouldn't).

But it doesn't have these features, so I didn't buy it. The PC version loses a couple more sales, and piracy didn't have anything to do with it.

16. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 21, 2009, 08:34 Ventura

Then a little while ago World of Goo came out, which was an greate idie game, with beautiful graphics, excelent music, inventive gameplay, no DRM and price point of $15-20, and a demo that consisted of about 20% of the game, more then enought to get a feel for it...

...and out of every copy bought 9 were pirated

Yeah I know the World of Goo story, I bought it, enjoyed it, and found the piracy stats on it fascinating. The problem though, is that for every game like it, I could name loads that you would feel burned having purchased at full price.

I could go to any EB store on the planet tomorrow and happen upon row after row of shit games. The first step to making something sell is to make it good.

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 21, 2009, 06:09 Ventura

You want pc games to get better. Stop pirating! Enough said

You want pc games to sell more? Stop releasing junk! Enough said.

I want to buy the new Wolfenstein, for example, I can get it for $79AU which ain't bad, but it looks, and is reviewing, like it's average. Just another cash-in on something that has already been done a hundred times. So you tell me, why would I want to buy that?

Piracy ain't helping, granted, because it's so damn easy to do, but this is as much their fault as it is ours.

News Comments > PS3 Slim and Price Cut
27. Re: PS3 Slim and Price Cut Aug 18, 2009, 19:50 Ventura

This should be good for Sony, and I'm happy for them. I've come to really like my ps3, it spends a lot more time on than my Wii, and a HELL of a lot more time on than my 360. That it can also play blu-ray is the icing on the cake for me (I'm rapidly finding I can't buy normal DVDs anymore).

The ps3 needs this too, because with most developers getting a lot bigger a return on their 360 games, they've been prioritising that platform ahead of the others. Hopefully that behaviour will stop with this price cut.

News Comments > StarCraft II Details - No Co-op Campaign
48. Re: StarCraft II Details - No Co-op Campaign Aug 17, 2009, 22:30 Ventura

I still play Diablo 1 and 2 to this day and I have never, ever touched the Lan feature

Interesting, I don't think I've ever played Diablo 2 and not used the lan feature.

News Comments > StarCraft II Details - No Co-op Campaign
38. Re: StarCraft II Details - No Co-op Camp Aug 17, 2009, 18:15 Ventura

Damn, every time I read up about Starcraft 2, it's always bad news.

First it was being split into three. Then there's no lan. Now there's no coop. Anyone know what's next? It does still have three races, right?

RIP Blizzard. Those of you who are anxious for Diablo 3, hold your breath, because that no-lan announcement is coming.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 11, 2009, 19:59 Ventura

They dropped the ball on this release:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=21633

George Broussard has shown up in that thread, apologising for the state of the game, and has given "his word" that the issues will be addressed ASAP.

As a warning, if you're a first generation iPod Touch user (as I am), it's not even compatible with that device. iTunes has no problem letting you buy it, but it won't let you copy it over. Bah.

News Comments > Banned PS3 Gamer Sues
22. Re: Banned PS3 Gamer Sues Jul 21, 2009, 19:57 Ventura

Who cares?

I bet he said some real nasty shit to get banned like that. Yeah, missing you already, pal. Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

They should do this more often. First amendment absolutely does not apply. Sony will show up, provide logs of what he said, and it will get laughed out of court.

News Comments > Sacred 2 Patched
1. Re: Sacred 2 Patched Jul 21, 2009, 09:16 Ventura

This one recommended?

Saw some footage that looked alright, and thinking of picking it up on PC. Is it worth it, or not really?

News Comments > ZeniMax Buys id Software
67. Re: ZeniMax Buys id Software! Jun 24, 2009, 20:29 Ventura

Obviously not a popular decision with everyone, but those complaining don't seem to play the game anymore anyways, so fuck em

And whose fault is that?

I wager the majority of those who bought but are not playing the game anymore won't be returning for the sequel. I know I'm definitely in that boat.

"Fuck em" all you like, but pissing off a percentage of your customers can't be good for business.

What split community? The game isn't even out yet. This is speculation

Speculation? It's two games. Unless you can play on any server with either game, it's going to split the community. This isn't that hard to grasp.

L4D campaign style does not lend itself to quick creation of new official campaigns

And yet, they can pump out a sequel in record time. That bit's not really consistant with your theory. Just a little

News Comments > Demigod Patched
5. Re: Demigod Patched Jun 24, 2009, 18:59 Ventura

A patch for a Gas Powered Games product? I don't believe it!  

625 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo