Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 275885
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 639 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft's "Green" Packaging
16. Bah Ubisoft! Apr 19, 2010, 22:16 Ventura

So we're going to get a price discount because we're no longer getting physical manuals?

Yeah right.

Who are they trying to kid? Alt-tabbing out from the game to read the manual isn't exactly the most user-friendly experience one can have.

My dictionary now has a picture of the Ubisoft logo next to the name 'bollocks'.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Crytek's Demo Doubts
47. Re: Crytek's Demo Doubts Apr 17, 2010, 22:52 Ventura

right....now people are too lazy to actually TRY the game themselves.
They just like to sit there, watching a video of some other people TELLING them how the game is

You know what a walkthrough is, right? It's just someone playing the game from start to finish. Sometimes people offer up commentary, other times they don't.

Point is, you're just watching gameplay footage, and (as far as I'm concerned) walkthroughs without commentary are a great way to find out what the gameplay is all about.

News Comments > Supreme Commander 2 Patched
11. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Apr 10, 2010, 02:58 Ventura

well FA was based on the bug-fixed SupCom 1 engine so they updated FA only twice. Yeah, there still are quite a few minor bugs in FA especially with experimentals, nothing serious though... I've never had one of those memory holes that are allegedly slowing down the game to a crawl.

Play FA with one or more AI's on a large map like Setons. You'll get the bug with the sim speed dropping to a crawl, guaranteed, and it wasn't a problem in vanilla. Unfortunately, what with my being primarily a skirmish/coop gamer, it was a game breaker.

I attribute the increased effort being put into patching this sequel to their new publisher Square Enix, as opposed to THQ who published the original. FA came out less than a year after vanilla had hit shelves, and none of its patches were anywhere near as substantial as this one.

As for FA, well it's a bit unfortunate, but it was pretty much abandonware the moment it left the gate.

News Comments > Fired Editor Alleges Rockstar Review Pressure
57. Re: Fired Editor Alleges Rockstar Review Pressure Apr 8, 2010, 01:01 Ventura

the world isn't flat and I'm sorry to say but Hitler died at the end of WW2...

You wanna go there? How about JFK mate? Or 911?

I'd like to believe that people are great and wonderful to each other, and that conspiracies just about never happen, but my actual experience paints a very different picture. Funny how that is.

News Comments > Fired Editor Alleges Rockstar Review Pressure
44. Re: Fired Editor Alleges Rockstar Review Pressure Apr 7, 2010, 18:24 Ventura

Longjocks wrote on Apr 7, 2010, 17:50:
Evidence please, or none of this happened.

Huh? Are you new to the planet Earth or something?

Try going outside mate, you know, actually leave the house. Spend some time among people, especially those that are forced to be around the same people each and every day because of the pressures of today's world. If you can do that, and you don't see evidence of people conspiring together against one another, I'll eat my shorts.

The only thing assuming this didn't happen because you don't see anything in the way of evidence tell me is that you just haven't spend very much time out there in the playing field, because given humanity's tendency to conspire against others, you're better off looking for evidence to prove it didn't happen, and not vice-versa.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2010, 06:43 Ventura

Actually the iPad isn't even expensive

Starting at $499US for the barebones model, it's not exactly cheap either. That's going to be at least $699AU out here; I could buy two Netbooks at that price and have some change left over.

If I bought an iPad, it'd really just be for the sake of it, because I don't know what it's for. It's a bit too big to be portable, and there are far better surf-the-net devices, and far better gaming devices, that you can buy for a lot cheaper. The iPod Touch I can understand, it's small enough to fit in my pocket, but I don't know what the point of this thing is.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 4, 2010, 10:24 Ventura

I just came back from Clash of the Titans. It's not really 3d atall, they pretty much just said it was 3d to sell more tickets.

That said, I've seen plenty worse movies. The camera work during some of the fight scenes was a bit off though, shaky cam is alright for blair witch type stuff, but I do wish they'd leave it out of stuff like this.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
15. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 3, 2010, 23:57 Ventura

Heck, the thing even displays animated gifs.

So does my laptop mate, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

Out here in Australia I'm shuddering to think how much the iPad is going to cost when it's released. I anticipate the basic 16gig wifi model running at least a cool $700, and it's only uphill from there.

I've seen a few videos, and they look kinda cool, but you're going to have to better than "it displays animated gifs!"

News Comments > C&C4 Patch & MP Map Plans
8. Re: C&C4 Patch & MP Map Plans Mar 29, 2010, 00:44 Ventura

Be fair to say then that they dropped the ball pretty bad on this one?

A workmate of mine who is usually a lot more forgiving with his games than I am has had just about nothing good to say about c&c4, which can only mean it must be terribly bad.

News Comments > Cuts at Rebellion?
7. Re: Cuts at Rebellion? Mar 11, 2010, 17:37 Ventura

People are cowards

It's the nature of the world today. Think about how much you'd lose if you quit or lost your job and the money stopped coming in. The only reason so many of us take it up the arse at work is because they know we need it.

That's why people don't speak out. They don't give a shit about the state of these franchises, they care about stuff like their homes and posessions.

News Comments > StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans
14. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 9, 2010, 17:33 Ventura

I'm backing the house on this one.

Up until very recently, I haven't bothered following Starcraft 2's progress; I mean, what's the point getting all excited and anxious for something that might still be half a year away?

Just a few days ago though, I started watching HD gameplay videos on Youtube, and now I am totally psyched up for this. I'm in the mood so much I'm tempted to reinstall the original.

I don't know how anyone else feels about this, but as far as I'm concerned, you don't start talking about doing a day one patch until you know you're kinda getting close to that release.

And I'm like... Bring... It... On!!

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again
15. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 18:27 Ventura

If Ubisoft removes the DRM, the pirates win. If they do not remove the DRM, the paying customers lose.

Pretty sure they've already been able to crack this game to play without the DRM anyway.

Come to think of it then, the pirates are probably the only ones playing this right now. Had I bought this game and really wanted to be able to play it, I'd probably be looking into using their crack on my installation.

The way it is right now, the customers are the ones losing out. What do you choose between guilty men being let free, or innocent men being convicted? Ubisoft would go for the latter.

News Comments > On Bad Company 2 PunkBuster Errors
1. Re: On Bad Company 2 PunkBuster Errors Mar 8, 2010, 18:16 Ventura

I bought the game on Saturday, played single player on that day and Sunday, and thought I'd try multiplayer out on Monday night.

Longest I got to play was about 15 seconds, thanks to this init bug. Come to think of it, it does explain why there was nobody else on that particular server at the time

News Comments > Supreme Commander 2 Pathfinding Trailer
7. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Pathfinding Trailer Feb 27, 2010, 18:56 Ventura

While it looks a bit naff when you have ships move other ships out of the way when they're moving past (as I had happen in the demo), this is still a very impressive showing.  

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed
9. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 26, 2010, 22:24 Ventura

I want the piracy issue on the pc platform fixed as much as they do (I hate console ports), but I really don't think this is the solution. How difficult would it be for crackers to be able to overwrite the exe with one that either doesn't require that online connection or emulates it?

I could suggest a few alternatives; most of mine would require Microsoft getting involved (because Windows would have to be patched), but in this day and age, I have to wonder if solving the pc piracy issue would even fix the problem. There are so few Blizzard's left these days, I don't doubt that the likes of EA and Ubisoft would continue to throw out the lazy console ports our way, even if the piracy issue on this platform were fixed.

News Comments > Supreme Commander 2 Demo
38. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Demo Feb 26, 2010, 09:46 Ventura

So I'm guessing I'm the only one around here who has already bought SC2 and is just waiting for it's release, because there's an awful lot of hate in here.

I must admit though, having played the demo, wow the experimentals drop fast now. Bloody fast, really.

That said, the game was running smooth as a baby's bottom. Ok, so it's just the demo, but if I don't run into any "games with AI's in them slow to a crawl" bugs, I'll be a happy chappy.

One note though, I've added a serious 12" subwoofer to my computer's sound setup now, and this game is great for bass. When it comes out and the missus ain't home, I'll be cranking it.

News Comments > More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers
2. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 25, 2010, 23:54 Ventura

I am so not regretting having pre-ordered this game on Steam.  

5. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Demo Feb 24, 2010, 18:10 Ventura

It's probably a mistake, but when I saw I could pre-purchase SC2 at $44.99US (10% off), I couldn't resist. Especially after having seen the video clips of that gunship and that boss unit that sucks other units into it.

After conversion, I paid just a smidge over $50AU, and I could absolutely never find it that cheap in stores over here.

1. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Demo Feb 24, 2010, 17:25 Ventura

This doesn't actually work for me yet. I click on 'Install Demo' in the store and it just refreshes the page, no downloading or addition to my games or anything.

Edit: Restarting Steam apears to have fixed this problem.

News Comments > Rebellion Wants to do AvP Sequel
16. Re: Rebellion Wants to do AvP Sequel Feb 23, 2010, 21:16 Ventura

Shataan! I'm with you mate. What AvP forums are you posting on these days? I've tried hanging out at Sega's official ones, but there's some shockingly bitter people posting over there.

This game really isn't that bad atall. Ok, they dropped the ball a little on the multiplayer, and the singleplayer campaigns (despite being 3 of them) are rather short, but what's there, I've very much enjoyed.

Hey, if anyone has any recommendations for better, I'm all ears. Star Trek Online got boring fast, and Modern Warfare 2 did absolutely NOTHING for me, so this new AvP is all I'm playing for now.

639 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo