Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 275885
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 625 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed
9. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 26, 2010, 22:24 Ventura

I want the piracy issue on the pc platform fixed as much as they do (I hate console ports), but I really don't think this is the solution. How difficult would it be for crackers to be able to overwrite the exe with one that either doesn't require that online connection or emulates it?

I could suggest a few alternatives; most of mine would require Microsoft getting involved (because Windows would have to be patched), but in this day and age, I have to wonder if solving the pc piracy issue would even fix the problem. There are so few Blizzard's left these days, I don't doubt that the likes of EA and Ubisoft would continue to throw out the lazy console ports our way, even if the piracy issue on this platform were fixed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Supreme Commander 2 Demo
38. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Demo Feb 26, 2010, 09:46 Ventura

So I'm guessing I'm the only one around here who has already bought SC2 and is just waiting for it's release, because there's an awful lot of hate in here.

I must admit though, having played the demo, wow the experimentals drop fast now. Bloody fast, really.

That said, the game was running smooth as a baby's bottom. Ok, so it's just the demo, but if I don't run into any "games with AI's in them slow to a crawl" bugs, I'll be a happy chappy.

One note though, I've added a serious 12" subwoofer to my computer's sound setup now, and this game is great for bass. When it comes out and the missus ain't home, I'll be cranking it.

News Comments > More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers
2. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 25, 2010, 23:54 Ventura

I am so not regretting having pre-ordered this game on Steam.  

5. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Demo Feb 24, 2010, 18:10 Ventura

It's probably a mistake, but when I saw I could pre-purchase SC2 at $44.99US (10% off), I couldn't resist. Especially after having seen the video clips of that gunship and that boss unit that sucks other units into it.

After conversion, I paid just a smidge over $50AU, and I could absolutely never find it that cheap in stores over here.

1. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Demo Feb 24, 2010, 17:25 Ventura

This doesn't actually work for me yet. I click on 'Install Demo' in the store and it just refreshes the page, no downloading or addition to my games or anything.

Edit: Restarting Steam apears to have fixed this problem.

News Comments > Rebellion Wants to do AvP Sequel
16. Re: Rebellion Wants to do AvP Sequel Feb 23, 2010, 21:16 Ventura

Shataan! I'm with you mate. What AvP forums are you posting on these days? I've tried hanging out at Sega's official ones, but there's some shockingly bitter people posting over there.

This game really isn't that bad atall. Ok, they dropped the ball a little on the multiplayer, and the singleplayer campaigns (despite being 3 of them) are rather short, but what's there, I've very much enjoyed.

Hey, if anyone has any recommendations for better, I'm all ears. Star Trek Online got boring fast, and Modern Warfare 2 did absolutely NOTHING for me, so this new AvP is all I'm playing for now.

News Comments > AvP DirectX 11 Workarounds
8. Re: AvP DirectX 11 Workarounds Feb 21, 2010, 04:22 Ventura

I've had great fun with the game and it works great in DX11

I've been really enjoying the game too. Have played the Predator campaign through twice now, the Marine campaign once, and the first mission in the Alien campaign. Great fun.

I get the stuttering running the dx11 version with my audio format at 24bits & 48000Hz (as per the advice in the link). Going to try at 44100Hz and see if it's smoother.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens vs Predator, Dedicated Server Plans
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens vs Predator, Dedicated Server Plans Feb 17, 2010, 05:05 Ventura

Better than previous AvP games?

Could it be any worse?

Ok that's being a bit harsh, but while waiting for this one I thought I'd pick up the original 2000 version off Steam, and half a year or so I went completely through the Predator campaign in AvP2.

Compared to what modern-day gamers have come to expect, they are terrible. The first one shocking, although in all fairness, it was released back in the Quake 2/3 days.

I have heard they are very short, one guy even said about an hour per side, but I have seen some gameplay clips, and coming from a fan, I'm looking forward to seeing what they've been able to come up with.

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens vs Predator, Dedicated Server Plans Feb 17, 2010, 03:36 Ventura

What I read was that the disc version just has a copy of steam on it and an activation code, you don't actually get physical install media with the boxed copy - you still need to download 15gigs from Steam.

It's actually not true; there's two dvds, and the game installs like normal. The guy who posted that was going off the promotional hunter edition picture that showed just the one "game disk", and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

False alarm

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens vs Predator, Dedicated Server Plans Feb 16, 2010, 18:20 Ventura

Crap.

When you buy the game, all you get on the 'game cd' is the ability to activate the game via Steam.

Then you actually have to download it. And it's a good 15 gigs.

This is going to come back and bite them in the arse. I see a lot of people activating their game, realising how long they're gonna have to wait, and then trying to take it back. Problem is, once that code is activated, it's gonna be useless.

Would it have killed them to have just put the game on the disc, you know, like NORMAL?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Stargate Resistance
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Stargate Resistance Feb 16, 2010, 03:38 Ventura

I was under the impression much of the game here is made up of assets from that MMO.

It's a pity really, SG1 in it's prime was an absolutely fantastic show, and the whole thing with SG teams coming in and out through the gate doing missions would have lended itself perfectly to an FPS MMO. If they'd have brought out a good FPS back when Richard Dean Anderson was still leading the team through the gate, it'd have sold like hotcakes.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect much of this one

News Comments > Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer
5. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 11, 2010, 23:59 Ventura

I love Star Trek, I'm not ashamed to say it. I even went to a convention once, and met Tim Russ, who was Tuvok in Voyager. I was so nervous about actually meeting someone from the show, I just about froze up. He probably thought I was something of a dick, because of it.

Anyway, just so you get an idea...

I installed Star Trek Online on Sunday, played Monday after work in the evening, took Tuesday off to play, had no desire to play Wednesday after work, and cancelled my subscription on Thursday.

That's STO for you. I love that it's coated in Trek, but it's definitely missing something.

News Comments > Ubisoft's "Big Announcement" on Xbox LIVE
9. Re: Ubisoft's Feb 9, 2010, 07:48 Ventura

It's some Ghost Recon: Future Soldier bullshit.

Apparently there's a teaser out on Xbox Live already.

News Comments > Gas Powered Games' "Next Big Thing" Announcement Nears
18. Re: Gas Powered Games' Feb 3, 2010, 17:58 Ventura

"Another busy day, can't wait to announce our next big thing on the 15th... I hate keeping secrets. :)." GPG's current project, Supreme Commander 2 is expected in March

SNAFU. His current project isn't even out until next month, and already he's moved on.

In the meantime Chris, do me a favour and fix as many of it's bugs as you can. Believe me people, if he doesn't do it now, he never will.

Well over half of my skirmish games playing the original + expansion ended up unresolved with -10 sim speed. Oh, the good ole days.

News Comments > More Rockstar Spouse Follow-up
8. Re: More Rockstar Spouse Follow-up Jan 23, 2010, 20:29 Ventura

And then people running the businesses care nothing about people, only money.

You say things might be bad, but sales are at an all time high right now.

You hit the nail on the head, but don't realise it.

Sales are high, sales are low... what difference does it make, if the people doing the hard work aren't the ones reaping the rewards?

The execs don't care. Never have, never will. And while it does sound like it's particularly nasty in this industry, it will be the same way wherever you go, whatever you do.

What do people with money want? More money. It's human nature, we're selfish by design. That and, society these days is all about not giving a fuck about anyone else.

Welcome to the 21st century

News Comments > Avatar Game: What Went Wrong
6. Re: Avatar Game: What Went Wrong Jan 16, 2010, 20:49 Ventura

Brilliant. I love how it's always some other factor; in this case, the movie being released in December.

It couldn't be the quality of the title, hell no. It's always something beyond their control.

Having read the (amusing) article, he does also admit that the quality may have suffered because of the whole deadline thing. See, now we're getting somewhere.

Only, Avatar was in the works for a long time, especially on the part of James Cameron. Never mind the prep, they actually started filming in early 2007; that's like 3 years ago.

I'm guessing Ubisoft not giving themselves enough time to make the game isn't their fault either.

News Comments > Chris Taylor on RTS Mechanics
13. Re: Game Reviews Jan 13, 2010, 05:21 Ventura

Space Siege was abysmal. Chris Taylor has a steep up-hill battle to climb to regain his reputation after that train wreck

After Space Siege? His rep was already so low, I didn't even bother with it.

His only claim to fame was TA, and how old is that now? 13 years? TA was well supported, had lots of patches and they added lots of units. Supreme Commander is a bugridden, infested mole of a game, and the expansion only made matters worse.

Supreme Commander 2 has less of everything? Hey, if there's also less problems, I just might be interested.

News Comments > Age of Conan Character Deletions
13. Re: Age of Conan Character Deletions Jan 11, 2010, 18:15 Ventura

if you arent part of the game anymore why does it matter if theyre gone for good?

Knowing that your characters are still there sometimes motivates a return.

If I spend a lot of time away from a game, and then come back, I don't usually jump straight back into any high level players I might have. No, I play a low-level character first, to get a feel for the game again.

Or at least, I would, if they didn't delete them all.

News Comments > Planet Calypso Space Station Sells for $330K
10. Re: Planet Calypso Space Station Sells for $330K Jan 1, 2010, 08:14 Ventura

Seems like there's two distinct types of people on this planet...

The vast majority are pretty much doing it tough, working and using most of the money they earn to survive, and then (if lucky) have a little left over to play with.

And those who (somehow) seem to have money to burn.

I'm convinced the more money people have, the more stupid they are, because anyone who spends $330K US on a virtual space station can't really be all there.

News Comments > Transformers: War for Cybertron Announcement
9. Re: Transformers: War for Cybertron Announcement Dec 16, 2009, 17:42 Ventura

Come on fellas, anything that takes the focus off what Michael Bay has done to the movie franchise has gotta be a good thing!  

625 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo