Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 275885
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 632 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > WoW Welcomes You Back
31. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 18:22 Ventura

There's a lot of hate in here. Bad games don't get 12 million players, guys. Especially not when you have to pay by the month to play. Granted, you could argue that says as much about the player base as it does the quality of the game.

I'm off of it right now, been that way for a couple of months, but I have a pre-order in for the expansion, and I may or may not go back when it comes out.

I have to admit though, that most of my strongest gaming memories have come from the playing of MMOs. I've played a lot of RTSs and FPSs, but when I move on I don't feel like I take with me anything. It was just a way to pass the time. My early days with Everquest and Wow though, are filled with experiences that I remember.

When I get sick of them, I really get sick of them, and I'd not played Wow for many years before returning earlier this year, but it's gaming that I remember years on, and I think that counts for something.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Harmonix for Sale
12. Re: Harmonix for Sale Nov 11, 2010, 17:37 Ventura

I'd be lying if I said I was happy about this, because Rock Band shits all over Guitar Hero, but the writing was on the wall. Too few care about rhythm games anymore.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Black Ops
102. Re: Oh, and on that Call of Duty: Black Ops thing... Nov 11, 2010, 08:20 Ventura

Not to interupt the massively unspun thread here, but I'm actually enjoying this Black Ops foray into the CoD franchise

As am I. Not only does it have a single-player campaign, it's got the zombies and there's even bots for multiplayer training.

I couldn't believe it. When was the last time a CoD game like this had bots in it?

That made it a must-purchase for me.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 9, 2010, 18:08 Ventura

Glad I didn't buy RB3, so long Harmonix...

I have no problem with it, just about everything that's already out there is supposed to already support the pro drums in Rock Band 3, and that's what I was after.

If I get into the keyboard enough, I'll gladly re-buy one or two of the epic releases, like the Boston tracks. Just the top stuff though.

I'd like to hope that adding the keyboard can now pave the way for the addition of some epic instrumental tracks to the game, like some of Mark Knopfler's stuff. Ooh yeah.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Preloads
5. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Preloads Nov 8, 2010, 21:15 Ventura

It's all over the tv about the midnight release. Not for pc though, you guys don't get it till 7am...PST. Hope you r not on the east coast, can't play till 10am!

Or, god forbid, another country.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 4, 2010, 04:30 Ventura

Ubisoft is known for their Quality support and dedication to Quality games, so Kinect should sell Billions. Besides with opening titles like Kinect Adventures, Kinect Joy Ride and Dance Central, now you don't have to be stuck playing FUN interactive games on the Wii. I jest, I'm sure it'll sell well because it's the new "it" thing. Even if the games suck arse, people will have to have it. Although as an avid PC gamer I must say that GFWL is a boil on the ass of PC gaming.

I LOL'ed at that link too, because if Kinect will be sold out a lot, it certainly won't be because of any of Ubisoft's titles. Just take a look at the rubbish sports games they have released thus far for the Wii and even Playstation Move. They are responsible for so much of the filth that populates the Wii platform, it's shocking.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Diaries, Launch Details
13. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Diaries, Launch Details Oct 18, 2010, 22:15 Ventura

See if there wasn't so much PC piracy we could get exclusive DLC

And if they didn't charge $49.99US for the yanks to download the game off Steam, and $89.95US for Australian customers to download the game off Steam, maybe there wouldn't be so much PC piracy.

Hard to do the right thing by people not doing the right thing by you.

News Comments > Steam Passes 30M Users
43. Re: Steam Passes 30M Users Oct 18, 2010, 19:57 Ventura

Just to clarify, thats not really steam's fault, its the publishers fault (as you point out).

I think the high prices in AU started because of the extra shipping cost they have to pay to get it over to the island. However, there's NO excuse for that with digital versions. I know the publishers are afraid of cannibalizing retail sales, but in AU they'd have a good reason to, because they'd make a lot more profit by avoiding those high shipping costs. Besides, its not as if retail sales in AU are going to be a huge factor compared to europe, etc. They could test that marketing strategy over there in fact, and see how much retail they'd lose if they offered the digital at a reasonable price.

While I don't attribute the blame to Steam for it being done, I do believe they could be a bit more proactive in trying to help fix the problem. The're not making the decision, but they have to assume part responsibility IMO. It's all too easy these days to just turn a blind eye.

I don't believe it was even about shipping, it's really just greed. They should save a fortune shipping it over in bulk, especially considering I can buy it myself and have it shipped over for far less. Why the cost almost doubles beats me, but they should be ashamed for it.

News Comments > Steam Passes 30M Users
39. Re: Steam Passes 30M Users Oct 18, 2010, 18:45 Ventura

how many of those 2.1 million people are signed in and not actively using Steam? How many haven't actively used it in over a week?

Guilty as charged. I have mine set to load on startup, and then most of the time it just sits there. Every so often I check out the store, but I buy very few titles, and just about never a new release, because so many publishers charge overseas customers more for the same product.

Fallout: New Vegas is a more extreme example; $49.99US for the yanks, $89.95US for Australian customers. Note that we do also pay in $US currency. Absolutely disgusting. I like how piracy is wrong, but doing that is just fine. Thinnest fucking line I ever did see.

News Comments > Supreme Commander 2 Patched
1. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Sep 16, 2010, 06:35 Ventura

Say what you want about the state of this game when it was released, but it has been patched extensively post-release, and that's a big +1 in my book.  

News Comments > Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Limited Edition Announced
4. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Limited Edition Announced Aug 18, 2010, 00:54 Ventura

Limited and standard are the same price, limited just means the first shipment. EA seems to think this encourages early sales and lessens piracy.

My bad yeah, I didn't read it properly. They've had worse ideas.

News Comments > Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Limited Edition Announced
2. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Limited Edition Announced Aug 17, 2010, 22:12 Ventura

Must admit, the footage for this game from E3 impressed me. Not enough to actually purchase this limited edition, but maybe the standard. It's been so long since I last bought an EA game, man I can't remember.  

News Comments > PC Hardware Outsells Consoles
30. Re: PC Hardware Outsells Consoles Aug 6, 2010, 21:06 Ventura

Have about $6000 in Xbox 360 games, but I spend a few hundred on PC games yearly.

My god, where are all these good Xbox games everyone's talking about? I have a launch console and have probably bought maybe 10 games since having had it.

My Xbox goes 6 months without being used in a heartbeat, whereas my pc is pretty much always on.

News Comments > NVIDIA StarCraft II Trial
25. Re: NVIDIA StarCraft II Trail Offer Aug 5, 2010, 19:14 Ventura

Thank you for such generosity. 7 hours, wow. All i could do with that!

Are you kidding? There are other games you could finish inside of 7 hours.

News Comments > Transformers: War for Cybertron Double-XP Weekend
1. Re: Transformers: War for Cybertron Double-XP Weekend Jul 29, 2010, 22:08 Ventura

Have they ever not had a double-xp weekend? Just curious.  

News Comments > StarCraft II Midnight Launch
32. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 07:36 Ventura

The most expensive place to buy the game, in the UK it's 44.99, compared to 34.99 from a shop, or 29.99 if you get it from the cheapest online store.

$100AU from EBGames Australia. 44.99 is only $77.17AU. As usual, us Australians pay a hefty tax for our software.

Good game though, but with me firmly back in WoW (first 80, raided ICC for the first time just last night), it's amusing that the only thing preventing one Blizzard title from getting more playtime on my pc is another Blizzard title.

I'm not typically that big on the company, but there's no denying they set the bar in this industry.

News Comments > Atari Financials
10. Re: Atari Financials Jul 26, 2010, 01:00 Ventura

The company that was the Atari Corporation back in the day is no more

I wouldn't worry about that mate, I'm sure there's plenty of space left in the desert next to ET for copies of Star Trek Online

News Comments > Console Transformers DLC Next Week, PC Uncertain
2. Re: Console Transformers DLC Next Week, PC Uncertain Jul 23, 2010, 01:03 Ventura

There's a pc version?

The game was pulled from the Australian Steam store just prior to release and none of the major retailers had it or are ever going to get it. What, I'm supposed to order it from half a world away?

I bet they don't end up releasing the DLC for the pc platform because it hasn't sold as well. Whose fault is that, fellas? Can't buy what's not for sale.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 8, 2010, 00:58 Ventura

DJ Hero not a flop after all; 1.2 million sales since launch

I wouldn't exactly call it a success either.

The standard bundle with game & table is down to $79AU in Australia at JB Hifi. Pretty soon they'll be giving them away.

News Comments > DirectX 11 WoW
37. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 5, 2010, 18:55 Ventura

Hands down the best art style and without a doubt the most fluid animations in any MMO, and I have played about 90% of them.

I'm with you. Anyone complaining about WoW's graphics is just resentful of its success and how much money it makes. There are some parts, particularly in some of the newer areas, where it just looks stunning. In its own way, maybe, but still stunning.

The beauty of WoW is that it doesn't need the latest and greatest graphics card, nor the fastest cpu. Taking advantage of some dx11 features, if you have the hardware, sounds like a good move to me, and knowing Blizzard, they'll be able to do it without it impacting the framerate.

632 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo