Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 275885
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 625 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > True Crime and Guitar Hero Cancelled
17. Re: True Crime and Guitar Hero Cancelled? Feb 10, 2011, 00:01 Ventura

Thank goodness! Guitar Hero is one of those casual games I disliked instantly. I hope Rock Band is soon to follow.

Ahh as always, there are those that just have to take great pleasure in the suffering of others. As I said before, say what you like about the Guitar Hero franchise, but Rock Band has just gone from strength to strength.

Which of course, you'd know if you'd given it a chance. People that are that determined to dislike something usually find a way to make it happen.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > True Crime and Guitar Hero Cancelled
7. Re: True Crime and Guitar Hero Cancelled? Feb 9, 2011, 18:19 Ventura

While I was always a Rock Band gamer first and foremost (with Guitar Hero a very distant second) I'm not necessarily happy to hear about Guitar Hero's death. That said, I can't help but feel they did it to themselves by completely saturating the market back when the genre was doing well. Perhaps if they'd focused more on quality instead of quantity...

Incidentally, I'm still very much enjoying Rock Band 3. They've had their own problems, mind you, but the fact that Rock Band 3 has a Metacritic rating of over 90 on the 360, ps3 and Wii demonstrates their continued commitment to quality.

News Comments > Magicka #1 on Steam, Bug Hunt Continues
25. Re: Magicka #1 on Steam, Bug Hunt Continues Jan 26, 2011, 18:21 Ventura

So hey, to those who have played this...

Once it's been fixed up, should I definitely buy it? The general consensus seems to be that, while it does have problems, it's also crazy fun when it works.

That about it?

News Comments > Champions Online: Free For All Launch, Q&A
4. Re: Champions Online: Free For All Launch, Q&A Jan 26, 2011, 18:08 Ventura

As a former paying player, it didn't do anything for me, I'm sorry to say.

At first I fired it up and had a lot of problems converting my characters from gold to silver (that is, paying account to non-paying). Non-paying accounts are allowed only two character slots, so if you happened to have more than two, as I did, you're going to start with a lot of deleting.

Free characters also have to choose from 8 or so archetypes, where almost all of your abilities are chosen for you. Unfortunately, one of my mains was all about electricity, and there's no archetype for that one, so he was gone.

My main however was a level 23ish munitions guy whose main two abilities were the assault rifle and the minigun. Unfortunately the 'soldier' archetype does not include the minigun ability, and none of the archetypes can borrow from the abilities in other power types, so it felt like a right old nerfing.

As it happens, I never ended up leaving the powerhouse area, where you train up all your abilities. I joined a discussion about the changes briefly in zone chat, and then logged out, never to return.

Obviously I didn't feel the game was interesting enough to warrant my paying $15 a month, but by far the coolest bit about it was that you could mix and match powers at your leisure. That was the only thing that kept me going for as long as it did in the first place, and without it, I have no interest in playing, even for free.

People who haven't played before might get a lot out of it though, but I suspect many of those who did and tried to return to it will be put off in much the same way as I was.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever in May
5. Re: Duke Nukem Forever in May Jan 21, 2011, 10:16 Ventura

So much time has passed, I stopped giving a damn long ago.

Going to have to see some pretty impressive gameplay footage before I'll drop the notes on this one, and to be honest, I really don't think it's going to have what it takes.

News Comments > New Minecraft Beta
12. Re: New Minecraft Beta Jan 13, 2011, 21:13 Ventura

Can you actually take damage from monsters in multiplayer now?

Yeah mate, health has been working in multiplayer for a while now.

News Comments > New Minecraft Beta
9. Re: New Minecraft Beta Jan 13, 2011, 18:18 Ventura

I'm liking the new changes, the dyes and that water mob are pretty cool. Haven't found any of that blue Lapis Lazuli crap yet though, but that's just because we need to be able to go further than we've been before on our multiplayer server for a chance that it'll spawn.

The missus made a cake, and how you put that down and eat it a slice at a time is pretty cool.

Made a note block too, kinda cool how the sound changes depending on what type of surface it's placed on, but other than that, I think they're pretty much pointless. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Nice to see that he's fixed paintings in multiplayer, that will really help us with the decorating. Kinda hoping he'll get portals working with the next patch though.

News Comments > BF3 at GDC
12. Re: BF3 at GDC Jan 11, 2011, 18:00 Ventura

Please let me set up my own server and fill it with bots. Old Battlefield on the pc was so good for that. No bots, no purchase.

I did buy BC2, and the single player campaign was good, but there's no longevity in it.

News Comments > Modern Warfare Prequel Rumor
11. Re: Modern Warfare Prequel Rumor Jan 5, 2011, 20:08 Ventura

Say what you want about the Call of Duty franchise in general, but I got my money's worth out of Black Ops, largely thanks to the zombie mode. I've spent many hours in that Kino Der Toten map, trying to make it just one round further than before.

It's also got bots for offline multiplayer. I know you can only play deathmatch or team deathmatch with them, but still... bots. When was the last time a COD had bots in it?

I get it, we all like to hate on the most popular kid at school, but there's an awful lot of content on that Black Ops cd. I have played a LOT worse games.

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Dec 31, 2010, 03:05 Ventura

Nooooooo. No. It's a very, very poor effort. Terrible handling, it feels like you're driving a skate-board.

I had a feeling someone would tell me not to, it's not the first time someone's had something bad to say about the new NFS in these parts.

Thing is, the Youtube vids look half decent, and it's metacritic average is 87%, which is really, really good.

I can wait though, I have at least half a dozen games still yet to play.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Dec 30, 2010, 18:05 Ventura

This will make the next Blues update, but for today's Steam specials Left 4 Dead 2 is 66% off at $6.79, or $4.99 if you own the original. At $4.99, I was able to resist no longer.

They have some fantastic specials, really. GTA4 complete at 75% off for $10. I'm tempted to pick up the new Need 4 Speed Hot Pursuit at $30, but it's only a 40% saving. Going to watch some Youtube gameplay vids while I think about that one

News Comments > Harmonix Shareholders Sue Viacom
8. Re: Harmonix Shareholders Sue Viacom Dec 21, 2010, 17:57 Ventura

Steele Johnson wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 15:30:
Increasing the difficulty and adding new songs is not the path they should have taken.

Actually, that's probably exactly what people who love the genre wanted them to do. The main thing I wanted was pro drums, and they threw that in there along with the keyboard and various pro modes for the guitar.

It's as he said though, the genre crashed. Far too few people care about the whole plastic instrument thing now. Rock Band 3 could have been anything, and it would have bombed. People are just over it.

I hope they get what they deserve though, because Rock Band would have been wildly successful financially back in the day, and it doesn't surprise me that Viacom might've tried to cover up some of that in order to get out of paying as much of the royalties as they could've.

News Comments > Minecraft Enters Beta
40. Re: Minecraft Enters Beta Dec 21, 2010, 17:40 Ventura

I'm pretty sure you're just making stuff up. Here is what he said:

Sigh. Alright, here's quotes from his twitter feed, taken from around that time:

The "all updates free" still applies to old accounts. We're taking it out because it scares both lawyers and the board.

Someone asked if people who buy beta will have to pay for updates, and he said:

They MIGHT have to pay, we don't know yet. We're changing it because the promise is scary. But you're safe.

Can't be too much clearer than that guys.

16. Re: Minecraft Enters Beta Dec 21, 2010, 08:10 Ventura

Pretty sure that there's no "board". He's indie and he can self fund out of his $5 million (after taxes).

I didn't think there'd be a "board" either, but that's how he wrote it on twitter. Starting to think I'm the only one that reads his twitter around here.

Saying all content in the game is free forever to every single purchaser of the game precludes selling expansions for instance.

Which is exactly why his lawyers would have pushed for the jump to beta.

12. Re: Minecraft Enters Beta Dec 21, 2010, 06:33 Ventura

you people do realise that a beta is still a test release? It could happily kill all your save games and still be ok? Its a BETA not a release. Even if it performs WORSE than an alpha it is still testing. Perhaps it has a different code base for various procedures in order to stress test.

You should create an account over at minecraftforum.net, you'll fit right in mate. Notch could fuck the game up completely, it wouldn't matter, there are people blowing him all the time over there

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale Begins
66. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 21, 2010, 04:31 Ventura

So, anyone have any particular recommendations? I already have Bad Company 2, Supreme Commander 2, Portal, Batman Arkham Asylum, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, Call of Juarez Bound in Blood...

I thought about Titan Quest, I mean seriously, $3.74 are you kidding me, but I really don't want to buy something just for the sake of buying it. It's bad enough that I also bought Metro 2033 about a week ago but still haven't actually tried it yet.

Having just bought a 3d screen too, games that look particularly good in 3d get bumped right to the top of the list.

9. Re: Minecraft Enters Beta Dec 21, 2010, 03:34 Ventura

Huh?

When he first started selling the game, he wasn't sure how well it would sell, and had a line about how if you buy alpha, all future versions of the game will be available for free.

The change was made because that promise apparently scared his lawyers (and the board), so by advancing to beta, the conditions governing the sale could be modified.

He tweeted all of this back on 12th December, back when he first announced that Minecraft would soon be going beta. It's not really ready for beta, it's just so that the terms could be changed.

4. Re: Minecraft Enters Beta Dec 20, 2010, 23:51 Ventura

Great game, but I do wish he'd test it more.

I updated my server, fired it up, logged in, dropped an item, picked it up, and got four of them back. Performance is greatly reduced too, it has my quad core 2 gig machine on it's knees.

I love what Notch has done, and what he's doing, but every time he walks two steps forward, he does slip one back. It's not quite ready for beta just yet, and I think we can blame his lawyers for trying to push it through.

This all said, it has been well-worth the price. Even at beta it's a steal.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Patched
4. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Patched Dec 16, 2010, 03:24 Ventura

Fixed crosshair flickering when stereo is active.

Having recently upgraded to a 3D screen, this is the fix I was waiting for. The performance optimizations are the icing on the cake.

Now it's time to hit up the campaign in 3D.

News Comments > Minecraft Beta Next Week
7. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 13, 2010, 20:58 Ventura

Current sales have spiked somewhat noticeably because of the upcoming change. Like others I assume, I picked up a second alpha account; they're worth their weight in gold now.  

625 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo