Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 275885
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 632 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > On Minecraft Maps
2. Re: On Minecraft Maps Apr 28, 2011, 00:59 Ventura

Veinman wrote on Apr 27, 2011, 21:16:
Here's hoping the 'crash every 5 minutes' bug gets fixed.

If you're getting that, shift your view settings down from far to normal. I'll get crashes all the time on far, but on normal it's fine.

If that's not your problem, I don't know what is. I can get hours out of my Minecraft before it crashes no probs

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Down Under Steam Pricing
11. Re: Down Under Steam Pricing Apr 15, 2011, 20:44 Ventura

I blogged about this crap three time in my blog, here, here, and here.

Frankly, I'm not surprised this is still happening, but I've already said my piece about this filth already.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Escalation DLC Confirmed
2. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Escalation DLC Confirmed Apr 11, 2011, 17:24 Ventura

What is it Microsoft, you insecure or something? Not completely convinced the Xbox is the place to be for the best experience, so you gotta keep buying exclusives wherever possible?

You could give the 360 a six month lead for the difference it makes, there's no way I'm going to ever play an FPS with a fucking goddamned gamepad.

Incidentally, the vast majority will have already made their choice with regards to the platform they've bought Black Ops on, so all you're doing at this stage is inconveniencing those of us that play this on other platforms. If I had my way, that money would go towards making better games, because nothing spends as little time powered up in my household as my 360 does.

News Comments > Minecraft Full Launch in November
25. Re: Minecraft Full Launch in November Apr 8, 2011, 22:21 Ventura

I still can't believe people play this. It's a shallow little retro game. How long can you juice the liquid out of this lemon? A month? Maybe two?

It's all about the mods mate:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewforum.php?f=1032

I stopped playing vanilla Minecraft months ago, and I probably wouldn't have touched it since if it wasn't for some of the really rather splendid mods that have been released of late, such as Millenaire.

He already said what was next, that weird collectible online card game thing, something like that.

Yeah that Scrolls thing. As they say, lightning rarely strikes in the same place twice. I'm fully expecting Scrolls to crash and burn. Minecraft is great and all, but I love the insinuation that they're just full of great ideas. If Scrolls does well and ends up being quite the money maker in its own right though, then I'll admit they're more than just talk.

I'd have been happy them using the Minecraft money to try something else out after its release, but not while it's still in beta (and arguably, not getting enough attention). Minecraft is the runaway success that's making everything else possible for them; they'd do well to remember that.

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2011, 22:33.

News Comments > Minecraft Grosses ~$33M
30. Re: Minecraft Grosses ~$33M Apr 6, 2011, 19:22 Ventura

How about putting that money into a bigger team that can bring updates faster. Or at least put most of the already made creature mods into the vanilla game. This game has tons of potential but updates are slow and haven't been adding much.

In full agreement. Minecraft is almost too good for its own good, because it deserves a level of development that it just hasn't been getting of late. Very little has been done to the game in 2011, what with Notch having taken one break after another. The only feature request he seemed to consider very seriously was the wolves, and even then that was just because Peter Molyneux wanted it.

They've made a mistake starting on this Scrolls crap they're planning. As far as I'm concerned everyone on the team should be on Minecraft.

I get the feeling, from having followed Notch for a while on Twitter, that he's over it. He seems to rarely discuss Minecraft these days, which to me means that his heart just isn't in it anymore.

News Comments > Treyarch's Hiring for CoD
10. Re: Treyarch's Hiring for CoD Mar 29, 2011, 17:18 Ventura

Wow, holy shit, there's a lot of hate in here.  

News Comments > Molyneux Wants a Say in Syndicate Remake
4. Re: Molyneux Wants a Say in Syndicate Remake Mar 29, 2011, 01:03 Ventura

I'm sorry to say, but I am so over Peter Molyneux. It has been many, many years since I got any real enjoyment out of anything he had a hand in creating.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 27, 2011, 19:07 Ventura

"Call of Duty: Black Ops First Strike Content Pack"

For Pete's sakes people, stop buying this crap and enabling developers.

Like the guy in the other thread, I'm guessing you've not actually played it either, which makes you the last person to be able to comment on its quality.

News Comments > Call of Duty Black Ops First Strike Released; Double XP Weekend
7. Re: Call of Duty Black Ops First Strike Released; Double XP Weekend Mar 25, 2011, 22:18 Ventura

I guess selling us more shitty maps, then letting the community create decent maps is more of a priority.

Can't really have played the new zombie map Ascension if you think that's the case, because it's evident from even just half an hour with it that a whole lot of work went into it. I'm not justifying the holding back of mod tools to make more money from map sales, but if you're going to criticise DLC you really should actually play it first.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops - First Strike for PC on Friday
18. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops - First Strike for PC on Friday Mar 22, 2011, 05:49 Ventura

Most people are anti COD because they have moved away from a fun franchise to just milking their fans.

As opposed to how nobody else is milking their fans?

COD: BLOPS is essentially the same game as COD 4 with new skins

Minus zombie mode and multiplayer with bots, you mean?

16. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops - First Strike for PC on Friday Mar 22, 2011, 00:59 Ventura

Yeah a lot of people are just anti cod because it's so popular/activision. Most haven't really played it

I hear you. Say what you want about server stability (I wouldn't know, as I don't play standard multiplayer atall), but with a single player campaign, not just standard multiplayer but also multiplayer with bots, and zombie maps, there's plenty to see and do on that dvd.

Granted, like others I did experience issues with slowdowns, but they were fixed early on. There are plenty worse games out there, you can be sure of that one.

15. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops - First Strike for PC on Friday Mar 22, 2011, 00:53 Ventura

Black Ops is now 4 months old, by the time W@W was 4 months old there was hundreds of zombie maps out, and thousands out now (the ZCT maps rule, and are in fact light years ahead of the official maps).

So yeah $15 for 1 new zombie map and more terrible MP maps is a fucking disgrace. At least deliver on the modtools that where promised and we'll make our own maps (a lot of which will be better than Treyarch's maps).

I can't speak for the absence of modtools, as I'm sorry to say, but I've gotten more and more used to not getting them these days. I know it doesn't make it right, but that's the way it is.

$15 might sound like a lot for one zombie map (and four multiplayer maps that I probably won't play very much atall), but if I get even half the time from this new map that I've gotten from Kino Der Toten, then it'll have proven itself to have been pretty good value for me.

I played several of the community zombie maps that had been made for World at War, but none of them really did anything for me. Not compared to the official maps, at any rate.

11. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops - First Strike for PC on Friday Mar 21, 2011, 22:13 Ventura

I bought it straight away. $13.50AU ish for five new maps, one of which, Ascension, is a zombie one? Hell yeah.

Sorry to not join the anti-Black Ops bandwagon in these parts, but I have spent more time playing the zombies online than I have most other games all up. There's also a full single player campaign and multiplayer bot mode for me to get stuck into aswell, if I ever get bored of shooting the zombies, that is.

This is one of those (albeit quite rare) times where I feel the criticism being flung about here isn't entirely justified.

News Comments > Transformers Online Announced
14. Re: Transformers Online Announced Mar 15, 2011, 09:08 Ventura

I always wanted a transformers as a kid but never had one - now I bloody hate the things. My son started getting them at quite an early age and of course couldn't do them properly - I've spent HOURS transforming them for him and come to the conclusion I didn't miss much as a kid!

Actually mate they were awesome back then. You could do em in like 30 seconds, but they don't make them like that anymore. Nowadays it takes like 15 minutes, and that's only if you know what you're doing.

They suck when you're an adult, but as a child, they were the best thing ever.

News Comments > On Battlefield 3 PC 3D Support
16. Re: On Battlefield 3 PC 3D Support Mar 11, 2011, 08:53 Ventura

bigspender wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 06:54:
the only reason people want LAN support is cause you are going to torrent the game.

its an online multiplayer game isn't it ?

I bought 1942, Vietnam, Battlefield 2 and Bad Company 2, and I have never once played any of those games online.

No wonder so many bigtime developers are shying away from releasing for the pc format these days, because even fellow pc gamers think all we do is pirate it. Thanks for being part of the problem mate.

News Comments > On Battlefield 3 PC 3D Support
10. Re: On Battlefield 3 PC 3D Support Mar 11, 2011, 03:53 Ventura

I'd rather be able to set up our own servers and fill them with bots like the Battlfield's of old, but in this day and age I'll take what I can get.

I like 3D enough for movies, but with games I feel like it's something of a detriment. That said, it's probably got more to do with my lowly GTX 460 Q6600 machine not really being able to pull it off as smoothly as I'd like at the resolution I'd like than anything else.

News Comments > 20 Years of Blizzard
39. Re: 20 Years of Blizzard Mar 10, 2011, 04:49 Ventura

I feel like I'm talking to someone with Cerebral Palsy.

Imagine how I'm feeling then.

Look, I get it. You're sticking by em through thick and thin. You're on your knees, regardless. They can drop features that games in the genre have sported for fifteen years now, and that's fine with you. Whatever floats your boat.

Just don't be surprised if not everyone feels the same way.

34. Re: 20 Years of Blizzard Mar 9, 2011, 23:59 Ventura

those that have such a immense sense of entitlement

Huh? You better believe it. Who the hell else are they making these things for, if not us gamers?

They make more from wow in a month than we'll see in fifty lifetimes. Don't talk to me about fucking entitlements.

Blizzard profits which makes its stake/shareholders happy and simultaneously in no way is their integrity or quality design philosophies compromised

Depends on your definition of integrity, I suppose. Set the bar low enough, and I guess anyone can scrape through.

26. Re: 20 Years of Blizzard Mar 8, 2011, 08:11 Ventura

now I can't play on LAN, which in my opinion is Activision's doing

Careful mate, don't let Cram hear you say that. He'll claim you're only disappointed because of your own self-mislead expectations, and then he'll ask for proof. Real stuff though, mind you; splitting Starcraft 2 apart, dropping lan support or selling horses on Wow doesn't count. You understand.

Paketep's comment nailed it for me:

17 years of Blizzard. 3 years of Activision-Blizzard.

The last 3 weren't up to par. The next 20 probably won't, either.

If they continue to move forward over the next 20 years, as they have done thus far, I'll be damn surprised. Let's be honest, we're not off to that good a start.

15. Re: 20 Years of Blizzard Mar 8, 2011, 06:07 Ventura

Blizzard does NOT innovate. They improve upon the previous

That's a matter of opinion. Blizzard innovated. Activision Blizzard just improve upon the previous.

Starcraft set the bar. Then Diablo 2 set the bar. Then Warcraft 3 set the bar. Then World of Warcraft set the bar.

Starcraft 2 did not set the bar.

Maybe I've just tired of RTS games in general, and Diablo 3 will do it for me, but that their first major release since the merger has turned me off definitely has me thinking that the company is no longer what it was.

632 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo