Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 275885
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 639 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping
19. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 10, 2011, 05:41 Ventura

Such a pity. Duke 3d was the bees knees when it came out all those years ago. Took all the attention off of Doom and everything.

Of course, then Quake came out, and that went and took the attention off of Duke...

Like someone else said, good times.

Pity about this though. I anticipate it hitting the bargain bin awfully quickly. The price will hit the floor.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours
19. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 00:55 Ventura

But a nice fresh heli full of squadies turning upsidedown is the kind of practice I was hoping for. Ya know.

Gotta admit though, it did make you laugh. Can it really be that hard to code AI that can keep a chopper in the air for longer than five seconds?

I'm with fuji though, I'd rather they just ditch the campaign and give us bot mode. As has been said though they are definitely going up against CoD now, and showing campaign action does make for impressive trailers.

News Comments > Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3
45. Re: Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3 Jun 9, 2011, 22:13 Ventura

How can you make that call on BF3 when they havent announced all the features yet?

Fair point, I'm just assuming it will be much the same as it was with Bad Company 2. I'd like to be wrong on that one.

Well, you did already demonstrate with your response to Sepharo, that you don't have very thick skin.

What can I say, my tolerance for bullshit gets less and less, the older I get.

43. Re: Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3 Jun 9, 2011, 19:11 Ventura

But hey, explains a lot about the gameplay you want.

While there wasn't really any need for that, you did just nicely demonstrate why I prefer the bots.

That would apply to just about every shooter these days, including CoD/MW. What's your point?

Single player gamers get more than just the campaign with CoD. Kinda feel I was clear on that point.

41. Re: Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3 Jun 9, 2011, 17:22 Ventura

What? That was credibility flying out the window. Bots...really?

A CoD game to have a stronger single-player campaign? I hardly think so. It's been the same game since 2003.

Hell yeah mate. I spent more time running around with bots on my levels in the earlier Battlefield games than I did playing Black Ops and Bad Company 2 combined. I'll never forget at a lan piloting a chopper in Vietnam with a couple mates each on a gun out back. Awesomesauce

I didn't say it would have a better single player campaign, but it will have more content. Infinity Ward have been doing the spec ops missions (some of which require two playing coop), and Black Ops had both bots and zombies. Battlefield only have the campaign these days; once it's beat (and if you're not really into multiplayer), you just about never fire the game up again.

33. Re: Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3 Jun 9, 2011, 05:01 Ventura

Just comes down to if you prefer "more realistic" gameplay (BF3) or more arcade-y gameplay with Michael bay-style production (mw3.) Beyond graphics and vehicles that's pretty much the deciding factor when it comes to the single player. In regards to MP gameplay is a factor, especially when taking vehicles into account, but the games also have different player counts and map styles/sizes. another thing to consider is in multiplayer, 'lone wolf' style play is whats the norm when it comes to the mw series. In the BF series things seem to be a bit more team focused.

Fair call mate, and being team/realism vs arcade/lone wolf, BF3 just leans so much more to multiplayer. Not that they won't have an engrossing single player campaign, mind you, but mw3's looks like it's the bees knees thus far. Of course, I anticipate seeing a lot more footage from both games before either one of them is released.

I spent so much more time with Black Ops than I did with Bad Company 2, these days single player (and coop) are really what's doing it for me. If they'd re-add the ability to create your own server and fill it with bots, ala Battlefield of old, I'd be all over that, but I don't think they'll let us do that again.

30. Re: Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3 Jun 9, 2011, 00:55 Ventura

First you were like "I've only seen this tank video" then you're all "Nah man, I've seen all the videos ever".

It's all good mate. I mean, if you can't get me on the big stuff, naturally pick on the small shit instead. I like your style, no shit, consistency is undervalued in this day and age.

I didn't mention having seen the faultline trailer because it came out before e3, and I figured we were just talking e3 footage. My bad. I'm happy to clarify for the kids in these parts. I've seen the frostbite 2 trailer also, but it's very short, and since much of it was footage taken from either the tank or faultline videos anyway, I figured it wasn't really worth mentioning. Happy Sepharo? Or you wanna pick nits some more?

I'm happy to continue to discuss BF3 vs MW3, and I'm open to reasonable comments and willing to consider both sides of the coin, but please, can we make it adults only from here onwards?

26. Re: Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3 Jun 8, 2011, 22:15 Ventura

This is more a function of proper story telling, which is a surprisingly important factor in making interesting movies and games. In that, I don't mean that the story itself is important (of course it is). I mean rather that the way a story is paced is just as important in terms of gameplay.

No argument there, and I'll criticize MW3's story when it releases (and if I choose to buy), if that's how it ends up being.

But we're not there yet. We're at E3 time, and it's not yet about the story, it's about how things are looking. It's just a glimpse. And if you ask me, they're doing a good job. When the gamers around the world click on gameplay footage, they want to see the good stuff. Not just tanks... driving...

Granted, plenty of time yet, and the BF3 team may be saving the best till last, but the thought occurs if there's a good time to show some of the more exciting stuff, E3 time is it.

That said, Krowen, when I get home tonight I'll rewatch every video on that page, even though I know I've already seen most of them.

23. Re: Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3 Jun 8, 2011, 19:57 Ventura

Now, I don't mean this as an insult...but not everyone wants an ADHD shooter experience that is CoD. There has to be ups and downs in pacing.

Fair enough, but then, isn't that why soliders take breaks between missions?

I like the in-your-face kinda stuff, and the MW3 footage I've seen thus far has had that in spades. In the stage demo that I saw, the guy gets out of the chopper, looks straight up, and you see two missiles slam into the skyscraper, sending debris crashing down on the street just a few feet from his location.

In BF3, we've seen tanks... driving across plains. They stop, blow up some other tanks... and then drive some more. Yeah, I've seen the faultline gameplay trailer that came out a while ago, and it was good, but I'm ready for more, and I thought I'd see it here, now, during E3.

Bear in mind guys, I'm all in it for the single player. If we can once again set up our own server in BF3 and blast the shit out of bots like the good old days, then you have my attention. Outside of that I'll take the most enthralling single player campaign that money can buy.

18. Re: Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3 Jun 8, 2011, 19:14 Ventura

They must be desperate after BF3 wiped its arse with MW3

I'm sorry guys, this isn't going to be a very popular opinion in these parts, but I must admit to having been more impressed with what I've seen from MW3 than I have from BF3 at the moment.

Granted, I've only seen the BF3 tank run shown during EA's press conference, but I found the MW3 footage at the start of Microsoft's conference, and footage from the stage demo that I'm watching now, very impressive.

I don't know, maybe it's because I passed on MW2, so the engine may not seem as dated to me as it does to everyone else, but I've seen a lot from them at the moment that's just making me go "woah!". It may be a rehashed engine, but they are squeezing absolutely everything out of it that they can, and it shows.

The BF3 tank run, while it shows the engine is obviously very impressive, to be honest not nearly enough was going on. Most of it was them just driving along the plains. It was way cool when shit was blowing up at the end though, I'll give them that.

That said, I have an open mind. If anyone has links to some more BF3 footage that might sway me, paste away. There must be something that everyone else is seeing but I'm not.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 8, 2011, 07:01 Ventura

Admit it, how many people do you know bought a Wii and only played Wii Fit or Wii Resort?

*Puts hand up*

To be honest, I always figured it was because the software houses couldn't really think outside the box.

For years we've had just about the same way to play everything. Minor cosmetic differences from one gamepad to the next would pretty much be the only difference. Whether or not it made them lazy or complacent, who can say, but now, all companies like Activision, EA and Ubisoft know how to do is make the one title and just port it across.

That's why the only titles worth buying on the Wii are Nintendo ones, because they were tailoring games to get the most out of the unique hardware. Companies like Activision don't give a shit about not being taken seriously, they only give a shit about making money. End of story.

As per the usual, Nintendo will do cool things with the Wii-U, but only Nintendo. That said, I don't see them making nearly as much money this time around because they're obviously not catering to the simple casual market. At its core, it's a 1080p Wii with an extra portable screen, and that's not going to be nearly enough for most.

News Comments > Call of Duty Elite Beta This Summer, Launch in November
10. Re: ahuh.... Jun 6, 2011, 19:08 Ventura

After seeing BF3 MW3 could not look more underwhelming.

Oh rest assured, I'm looking forward to seeing that one too. I did really get into the BF3 gameplay reveal trailer that hit a month or two ago, and anticipate seeing more.

I'm not saying BF3 won't be the better game, just that MW3 looked really good. Credit where it's due.

News Comments > MS E3 Presser Includes Fable, Minecraft, and Halo Announcements
13. Re: MS E3 Presser Includes Fable, Minecraft, and Halo Announcements Jun 6, 2011, 19:03 Ventura

Failures? Kinect is making Microsoft money hand over fist.

It's that successful? My understanding was anyone who bought one is long since gotten bored of it. People are still playing it?

The thought occured to me that the only reason they're all over Kinect in the press conference is because they realise the software lineup has gotten stale and really needs to improve.

News Comments > Call of Duty Elite Beta This Summer, Launch in November
8. Re: ahuh.... Jun 6, 2011, 18:54 Ventura

Say what you want about Call of Duty, I just about jizzed watching that gameplay demonstration of MW3 at the start of Microsoft's press conference. The shit was absolutely hitting the fan, and it all looked fabulous.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2011, 07:49 Ventura

I'm wondering why so much hate for Pippen

I don't know, maybe because who the fuck does he think he is? Like the other guy said, he should be the first supporter and the first defender. You don't ride MJ's shadow all the way to six rings and then come out and say some other guy "may be the greatest ever".

Ungrateful prick. Had he not had the good fortune to be sided with Mike, he'd never have picked up a championship, and everybody would have long since forgotten him. Have a little respect Scotty.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 4, 2011, 06:33 Ventura

I'm pretty happy with the welcome back selection, all things considered. They're not the best that's out there, but they were never going to be; for most however I think there's something for everyone.

I chose Dead Nation as one of mine and had a quick go, seemed alright, didn't blow me away, but the type of game is definitely my cup of tea. Not sure what I'll pick for my other one, but chances are it'll be Infamous. Stardust and Wipeout probably suck, and I'm over the LittleBigPlanet thing right now.

News Comments > Cryptic Sold
16. Re: Cryptic Sold Jun 1, 2011, 18:21 Ventura

I knew Cryptic would get an absolute flogging in here, but to be honest, I've enjoyed their games over the years. Granted, I didn't play STO nor Champions much past the first month of free time, but the same is true for most MMO's with me these days (AoC, Rift, etc), and I have enjoyed returning to City of Heroes a couple of times, even though they now have nothing to do with that one.

They're not the best developer in the world, but if you ask me, there's precious little competition for that spot these days.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
1. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 29, 2011, 18:29 Ventura

Hmm, I wonder if that Star Wars Kinect still knows what you're going to do before you do it.

Now that's using the force! Like others have said, they fixed the lag, and then some!

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed
2. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 27, 2011, 21:20 Ventura

This is obviously their take at having something like Treyarch's zombie mode, but nevertheless, I could see me getting a great deal of fun out of this one.  

News Comments > New Minecraft Beta
18. Re: New Minecraft Beta May 26, 2011, 19:17 Ventura

I bought it back during alpha for 10 bucks, and I've already more than gotten my moneys worth

I have too, and I've said that before.

I just wish they'd actually fire it up every once in a while. When you're working on 1.6 for over a month, and then you're up to 1.6.4 on the day of release, there's a problem. He hit like 1.6.2 inside of 10 minutes after having released 1.6. Did they release it and go "maybe we should have run it first?"

Correct me if I'm wrong (I haven't yet tried 1.6.4, only 1.6.3), but I still don't think the problem has been fixed where if you drop something, and then pick it up, you get one use from it, and then it's gone. Like I had a friend say, that's kinda a big bug.

639 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo