Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 275885
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 632 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 3 PS3 Footage
25. Re: Battlefield 3 PS3 Footage Jun 17, 2011, 20:04 Ventura

Even though I have sorta made up my mind to pick MW3 over BF3 when they're both released, DICE's frostbite engine is extremly impressive when compared to what MW3 is still using. I'm not even going to try to dispute that. It's not so much that MW3 doesn't still look good, just that next to it, BF3 looks positively next-gen. It raises the bar.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution
4. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Jun 17, 2011, 01:00 Ventura

Agreed guys Magic Carpet was the bomb. I actually have the original boxed version of Magic Carpet 2, although that said, there are those that much preferred the original.

If they remade Magic Carpet, and didn't fuck with the winning formula like they so often try to do, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

News Comments > Kinect for Windows SDK Beta
2. Re: Kinect for Windows SDK Beta Jun 16, 2011, 22:10 Ventura

Can you believe, I still haven't bought Kinect? I mean, I have every console, bought two PS Move controllers... but still not Kinect.

Hopefully, this will give me a reason to. Certainly nothing I've seen thus far on the 360 looks like it's worth buying it for.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Annihilation Announced
23. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Annihilation Announced Jun 16, 2011, 19:14 Ventura

I hate DLC so much.

Guys, it's not like you have to buy it.

I picked up the first DLC offering, First Strike, but didn't pick up Escalation, and have no intention of grabbing this one either. Like others I don't consider 5 maps for $15 to be a particularly good deal, and like someone else said also, I'll just vote with my wallet.

There must be those that think it is a good deal though, because they wouldn't keep bringing out these little packs otherwise. Personally, I think they should price these things at closer to $5; they'd probably get so many more purchases that they'd still make as much money as before, and it wouldn't splinter the online community nearly as much.

I hvae no problem with them releasing this much DLC, but I do think the RRP of the main game should be lowered to compensate. Black Ops is still $89.99 on Steam for Aussies, which is just crazy. If someone wanted to get straight into the game and all the DLC (including this new Annihilation), they'd be looking at damn near $135. That's just fucking mental. Each time a $15 pack of DLC is released, the price of the game should come down by at least $10.

Ultimately though, vote with your wallet. Eventually, if enough people stop buying it, they'll get the hint.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2011, 22:13.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Footage
22. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Footage Jun 14, 2011, 22:08 Ventura

uuuummmmmm... I've read several posts about people being upset that there are no bots in BF3? I'm not sure how much fun is to be had in an open sandbox environment with vehicles playing against bots

You don't have to understand it mate.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Footage
19. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Footage Jun 14, 2011, 17:29 Ventura

I'll be playing Battlefield 3, thank you.

Enjoy. I'll be playing MW3, because thanks to the removal of bots, once single player gamers get through the BF3 campaign, there's gonna be nothing else left for them to do.

If they still had bots it would be a landslide in BF3's favour, but Dice don't care, so I don't.

News Comments > COD Elite Beta Next Month - 2 Million Signups
7. Re: COD Elite Beta Next Month - 2 Million Signups Jun 14, 2011, 01:01 Ventura

this new game is still using the old old old old engine and how sad is that, when all these games are basically the same.

In all fairness, it still looks reasonably impressive though, and at least what we've seen thus far was running on the consoles. In retrospect, the vast majority of Battlefield 3 footage we've seen was from the pc version of the game.

I'm not having a go, but on 360 and ps3 hardware, how much more does it have to give?

News Comments > Minecraft Sells 2.5M, Notch Interview
6. Re: Minecraft Sells 2.5M, Notch Interview Jun 13, 2011, 22:15 Ventura

seems like the actual creator of the game is much more qualified to describe the game's main premises

If anything all it really goes to show is that Notch had no idea what he was doing.

Minecraft could do with a little real depth, I'll give it that, but two and a half million people didn't buy it because they wanted something winnable.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 12, 2011, 19:03 Ventura

Looks like the sale is over; Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is back at the tasty price of $89.99USD for the Aussies out there.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2011, 21:48 Ventura

I read somewhere that they admit they made a mistake with how they announced the Wii-U. They should have quickly shown the new console (even if, apparently, it doesn't look a whole lot different), said that it will do 1080p over hdmi, and then moved on to the new controller.

I thought some of the stuff they showed was quite clever, like putting it down on the floor so you can see the golf ball, and as an evolution of the standard Wii you could argue the idea is pretty decent, but I'll admit to being disappointed with it.

To be honest, the thing that impressed me the most was how two people each wearing glasses can see completely different 3d images with that new Playstation screen. That's pretty clever.

News Comments > Molyneux on Fable Kinect Demo "Horrendous Mistake"
25. Re: Molyneux on Fable Kinect Demo Jun 10, 2011, 22:23 Ventura

Sorry Pete, but every year I watch Microsoft's press conference, I go straight for the fast forward button the moment you walk out.

It's good to be a celebrity developer, because despite having last made money a decade ago you can still command a spot in the conference, like as if it's worth hearing what you have to say.

News Comments > BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours
46. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 22:12 Ventura

Historically, BF has always been about multiplayer. This is what the fanbase has come to expect, which is why you'll see the majority of BF fans not giving a shit about SP. Myself included.

Historically, it had bots too. I couldn't care about the single player campaign either, but you add the ability to throw bots onto any playable map and it's a day one purchase for me. You can have bots in what's a multiplayer game, and you have single player gamers happy too. It was a win/win.

Rather than just mess about with campaigns, I'd have been happy if they'd just have improved the bots' ability to pilot planes and choppers. It's such a pity they don't care anymore, because for me it's what made Battlefield Battlefield. Oh well, RIP.

News Comments > Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3
47. Re: Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3 Jun 10, 2011, 21:56 Ventura

Alright Krovven, I give up, you win. I have better things to do, and I fear you could go on forever.  

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping
19. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Starts Shipping Jun 10, 2011, 05:41 Ventura

Such a pity. Duke 3d was the bees knees when it came out all those years ago. Took all the attention off of Doom and everything.

Of course, then Quake came out, and that went and took the attention off of Duke...

Like someone else said, good times.

Pity about this though. I anticipate it hitting the bargain bin awfully quickly. The price will hit the floor.

News Comments > BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours
19. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 00:55 Ventura

But a nice fresh heli full of squadies turning upsidedown is the kind of practice I was hoping for. Ya know.

Gotta admit though, it did make you laugh. Can it really be that hard to code AI that can keep a chopper in the air for longer than five seconds?

I'm with fuji though, I'd rather they just ditch the campaign and give us bot mode. As has been said though they are definitely going up against CoD now, and showing campaign action does make for impressive trailers.

45. Re: Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3 Jun 9, 2011, 22:13 Ventura

How can you make that call on BF3 when they havent announced all the features yet?

Fair point, I'm just assuming it will be much the same as it was with Bad Company 2. I'd like to be wrong on that one.

Well, you did already demonstrate with your response to Sepharo, that you don't have very thick skin.

What can I say, my tolerance for bullshit gets less and less, the older I get.

43. Re: Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3 Jun 9, 2011, 19:11 Ventura

But hey, explains a lot about the gameplay you want.

While there wasn't really any need for that, you did just nicely demonstrate why I prefer the bots.

That would apply to just about every shooter these days, including CoD/MW. What's your point?

Single player gamers get more than just the campaign with CoD. Kinda feel I was clear on that point.

41. Re: Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3 Jun 9, 2011, 17:22 Ventura

What? That was credibility flying out the window. Bots...really?

A CoD game to have a stronger single-player campaign? I hardly think so. It's been the same game since 2003.

Hell yeah mate. I spent more time running around with bots on my levels in the earlier Battlefield games than I did playing Black Ops and Bad Company 2 combined. I'll never forget at a lan piloting a chopper in Vietnam with a couple mates each on a gun out back. Awesomesauce

I didn't say it would have a better single player campaign, but it will have more content. Infinity Ward have been doing the spec ops missions (some of which require two playing coop), and Black Ops had both bots and zombies. Battlefield only have the campaign these days; once it's beat (and if you're not really into multiplayer), you just about never fire the game up again.

33. Re: Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3 Jun 9, 2011, 05:01 Ventura

Just comes down to if you prefer "more realistic" gameplay (BF3) or more arcade-y gameplay with Michael bay-style production (mw3.) Beyond graphics and vehicles that's pretty much the deciding factor when it comes to the single player. In regards to MP gameplay is a factor, especially when taking vehicles into account, but the games also have different player counts and map styles/sizes. another thing to consider is in multiplayer, 'lone wolf' style play is whats the norm when it comes to the mw series. In the BF series things seem to be a bit more team focused.

Fair call mate, and being team/realism vs arcade/lone wolf, BF3 just leans so much more to multiplayer. Not that they won't have an engrossing single player campaign, mind you, but mw3's looks like it's the bees knees thus far. Of course, I anticipate seeing a lot more footage from both games before either one of them is released.

I spent so much more time with Black Ops than I did with Bad Company 2, these days single player (and coop) are really what's doing it for me. If they'd re-add the ability to create your own server and fill it with bots, ala Battlefield of old, I'd be all over that, but I don't think they'll let us do that again.

30. Re: Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3 Jun 9, 2011, 00:55 Ventura

First you were like "I've only seen this tank video" then you're all "Nah man, I've seen all the videos ever".

It's all good mate. I mean, if you can't get me on the big stuff, naturally pick on the small shit instead. I like your style, no shit, consistency is undervalued in this day and age.

I didn't mention having seen the faultline trailer because it came out before e3, and I figured we were just talking e3 footage. My bad. I'm happy to clarify for the kids in these parts. I've seen the frostbite 2 trailer also, but it's very short, and since much of it was footage taken from either the tank or faultline videos anyway, I figured it wasn't really worth mentioning. Happy Sepharo? Or you wanna pick nits some more?

I'm happy to continue to discuss BF3 vs MW3, and I'm open to reasonable comments and willing to consider both sides of the coin, but please, can we make it adults only from here onwards?

632 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo