Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 275885
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 632 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Multiplayer Trailer
29. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Multiplayer Trailer Nov 2, 2011, 00:50 Ventura

Facts...why bother with them when you have fanboi kool aid.

But it's alright to be on your knees lapping it all up when it's DICE you're blowing? Just curious.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Leaked?
42. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Leaked? Oct 30, 2011, 07:54 Ventura

What needs to happen is bring to the PC the same level of piracy control found on consoles.

I'm with you mate. It has to happen.

There'd be a way too, but as long as the big guns make their bucks on the consoles, they're not going to care.

It's just a pity, because we're getting games that are just barely scratching the surface of what our machines are capable of.

News Comments > Domains Reveal Rainbow Six: Patriots
13. Re: Domains Reveal Rainbow Six: Patriots Oct 30, 2011, 05:29 Ventura

I'm up for a new Rainbow Six.

Ok so Vegas pissed a lot of people off, what with the whole "crouch behind cover but still see" thing, but I enjoyed it.

They release a half-decent trailer, some kickarse gameplay footage, make it worth while for single player/coop gamers, sure, I'm in.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Leaked?
39. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Leaked? Oct 30, 2011, 05:25 Ventura

Piracy is just as rampant on the console as on PC's

I wouldn't say it was even close, to be honest. How many consoles out there are going to be chipped? 1 in 20? 1 in 50? 1 in 100?

I'm not making excuses, but on any PC you can copy over that crack and you're good to go.

News Comments > Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M
4. Re: Electronic Arts 2Q Financials - BF3 Ships 10M Oct 27, 2011, 22:15 Ventura

If I'm honest, it's a purchase I'm actually regretting, although to be fair, that's as much my fault as it is theirs, because I'm not really as much into multiplayer as I used to be.

That said, it does have a single player campaign, and a couple of coop missions, so it's not like they're not trying to cater to us all. I was just expecting so much more from the campaign, and once I've finished it, there's going to be next to no reason for me to fire up the game again.

Hmm, maybe I should try selling my Origin account on Ebay or something. If you can even do that.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Bach on PC Battlefield 3
9. Re: Quoteworthy - Bach on PC Battlefield 3 Oct 27, 2011, 00:48 Ventura

I don't know if I'd call a GTX460 "lowly". Its like a year old? (I have one too in my laptop, a year old model. Asus G53JW-A1)

Yeah I must admit, I don't think it's entirely fair. What I mean though, is that it's a credit to the team that I'm able to run their latest and greatest at 1920x1080 using what's pretty much a midrange previous-gen nVidia card, and it still looks pretty good.

Frankly, you could have kept your stupid 4 hour single player campaign and given us the option to have bots fill up the slots on the multiplayer maps.

I'd have much preferred that too. Campaigns have next to zero replayability for me, but I could play against bots forever

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Bach on PC Battlefield 3
2. Re: Quoteworthy - Bach on PC Battlefield 3 Oct 26, 2011, 22:08 Ventura

Credit where it's due, as far as I'm concerned it's the engine to beat. It runs really well, even on my lowly GTX460.

It's not "fully destructible" though, or whatever people have been claiming, but it does look and sound marvellous.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3
98. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 Oct 26, 2011, 10:15 Ventura

I must be about halfway through the singleplayer campaign also, and my own experience has been somewhat mixed.

The game's AI has frustrated me on occasion. I've had it a couple of times now where I'll take up cover at a convenient location, take a few shots, and then my character starts moving. I turn around, and there's an AI teammate having effectively pushed my character out into the open by also taking cover in the same location.

They like running into my line of fire too. If I'm crouching, aiming down the sight, and shooting, it's probably not a good idea to walk right in front.

The engine is obviously fantastic, it's by far the engine to beat, but it continues to amuse me how they can make these worlds look so great but can't populate them with even passable AI.

I'll give one huge nod to DICE though, the sounds. Ok so it's bugged out on occasion, but for the most part, the game sounds amazing. I might have to actually give the game's multiplayer a go

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit
15. Re: Battlefield 3 Community Town Hall Summit Oct 23, 2011, 19:15 Ventura

I bet you support Steam just fine though. Although Valve isn't any different than any other publisher. (hint: they're in it for the money) It's sooo difficult to make desktop shortcuts to applications oh the horror.

It's all about the timing. Steam has had a lot of time to get established, not to mention polished, and over that time has won over a whole lot of gamers. I mean, how long ago was it that Half Life 2 was released?

EA missed the boat. I don't even fire up Impulse anymore. It's Steam or nothing.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 PC Details, Minimum Specs
15. Re: Modern Warfare 3 PC Details, Minimum Specs Oct 21, 2011, 19:40 Ventura

So, dedicated servers only for unranked. Ranked still uses IWnet.

Well, this one is easy enough. No buy. I believe CoD:BO may have been the last CoD title on the PC to sell in significant numbers.

An amusing comment considering BO was the last CoD title to have been released. The next one isn't out yet.

Were people actually expecting dedicated servers to be ranked? A group of players on a private dedicated ranked server could rank themselves up in next to no time if that was the objective. I'm no serious multiplayer gamer, but I'd have thought protecting the integrity of the ranking system would've been far more important.

Well, looking at Steam charts MW3 is surprisingly low compared to past CoD titles. I think PC gamers are finally getting fed up of the same reskinned game and same shitty treatment from Activision.

Actually, I've pre-ordered on the pc, but Australian Steam prices are a joke, it was over $35 cheaper for me to head down to a local store and pre-order a physical copy there.

Don't know what you mean about shitty treatment, either. Black Ops has been very well supported on the pc, and it's a disk that was packed full of things to do.

Granted, the BF3 trailers look amazing, including their most recent launch trailer. But they've had a slew of disappointing news updates of late, and coming from someone not really into multiplayer as much these days, I'll get far more from MW3's Spec Ops Survival mode than from anything they have.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic
5. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 17, 2011, 22:10 Ventura

Did you know that if we had an empty 9mm casing for every shot fired in the Open Beta, we would have enough brass to melt and build almost 3,900 SU-27 Flanker jets?

Just out of curiosity, but if you had an empty casing for every gamer that cancelled their preorder, what could you build with all of that?

News Comments > Mojang Turns One
2. Re: Mojang Turns One Oct 17, 2011, 09:45 Ventura

I read the full post, and I really like the bit at the end of the first paragraph where he goes "and we’re getting sued by one of my favorite game developers", like he's listing it as one of his achievements.

I don't always like Notch, but there's no arguing his level of success, so he must be doing something right. Minecraft may well be the best $15 I've ever spent, having enjoyed many more hours on it than on games that were a lot more expensive, and while I don't think the appeal of the game is something he really understands, I do think its development is in good hands.

News Comments > Project Zomboid Code Theft
34. Re: Project Zomboid Code Theft Oct 17, 2011, 09:05 Ventura

This is certainly a case where you need to set aside your pride and say "now that I think about it you guys are right".

Best of luck with that.

Granted, there are levels of backing stuff up. The more important it is, the greater the steps you should take. While I obviously wasn't going to be setting aside an off-site location for what was just a freeware mod, I still cared enough to copy it to something that would be with me during the day, just on the off-chance my home was burgled.

Not quite the same thing atall, considering they lost their source where I'd still have had a backup of mine, but you're welcome to go with whatever floats your boat.

31. Re: Project Zomboid Code Theft Oct 17, 2011, 06:16 Ventura

Sounds like you were doing the EXACT thing they did

Except for my taking my laptop with me, you mean? Way to miss the point.

I'm not as concerned during the weekend, because there's usually always someone here, but thanks for your concern.

28. Re: Project Zomboid Code Theft Oct 17, 2011, 00:45 Ventura

Sorry, no sympathy from me. While working on my freeware Warcraft 3 mod, I used to copy the unprotected map to my laptop (off my desktop) before taking it with me into work each morning.

Gotta be smarter than that.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 13, 2011, 18:46 Ventura

Yeeeeaaaahhh, except most of that money was made at the box-office...you know, before the film is packaged up in a format that's easily and cheaply distributed by anyone with an internet connect.

Not that it didn't still break DVD and Blu Ray sales records though.

They're not short a buck. If they were, Cameron would just go back through the archives, add another 6 minutes and run it on the big screen again. He's good like that.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Trailer
4. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Trailer Oct 8, 2011, 07:15 Ventura

Then again, if I want to see what MW3 looks like in game, I can go fire up the first MW...

If it ain't broke...

News Comments > Into the Black
13. Re: Into the Black Oct 6, 2011, 00:57 Ventura

Like them or not, and say what you want about iTunes, but the quality of Apple's mobile devices are, in my opinion, second to none. I'm not big on mp3 players or mobile phones, but I've owned a couple of iPod Touches in my time, and they have always proven themselves to be outstanding devices.

RIP Steve.

News Comments > RAGE Interview
41. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 06:06 Ventura

John Carmack has openly admitted to the shortcomings of the engine. He did this before the game was even released.

It's no wonder they're no longer licensing out their engines.

Face it guys, like the Blizzard of old, iD are very much dead. The writing was on the wall back at Doom 3, and from the sounds of things, Rage is the nail in the coffin.

Goodbye, old friend. Thanks for Doom 1, Doom 2, and Quake 1. I'll miss you.

News Comments > Fixed ATI RAGE Driver
8. Re: Fixed ATI RAGE Driver Oct 4, 2011, 19:41 Ventura

Or you could wait 2 weeks for the next monthly release to hit that includes them all in the update.

Yeah, because those who've just paid top dollar and bought the game brand new are really going to want to hear that.

632 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo