Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 275885
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 632 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
42. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 18:19 Ventura

Verno wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 13:21:
95% piracy rate, oh boy. Well trolled.

You guys are all acting like he's wildly exaggerating, but if the percentage actually happened to be at around that, I don't think I'd really be all that surprised.

Whether you like it or not, piracy on the PC platform is obviously a huge concern. These guys don't want to see 2000 people pirating their game for every 100 sales, and who would?

Titles can still do reasonably well, of course, but as said before, that probably just means an even greater number of pirates are also enjoying it.

Edit:
I picked up the PC version of Modern Warfare 3. According to the info at vgchartz.com, PC sales of the game are at about 3%. I bet more than 95% have pirated this one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rebellion Plans to Make Better Games
19. Re: Rebellion Plans to Make Better Games<br> Following the critical failure of Rebellion's recent ga Nov 19, 2011, 22:08 Ventura

I see what you are saying Ventura. But if you reread Rebellion s excuse, even tho valid.... Basicly they are gonna market the games to you telling you how freaking cool it is.... only to show up afterwards saying the game is only as good as the deal they took.

You don't really think they'd comment on the poor quality of a deal during development, do you? Nevermind that it would be a violation of their contract, Fox would pull the plug and then they'd be out of work. For a developer, it would be akin to commiting career suicide.

These guys are going to be treated like cattle. They're given few resources (because of Fox), and are told what to do and when to do it by.

We'd all like games (and movies) that live up to the potential of these two franchises, but clearly Fox don't want to spend that kind of money, and that's not Rebellion's fault.

News Comments > Minecraft Version 1.0
8. Re: Minecraft Version 1.0 Nov 19, 2011, 06:05 Ventura

Haha - most of the people I know who play Minecraft played the beta to death and got sick of it, so I doubt they'll care.

Pretty much where I'm at. We jumped in at alpha, I bought three accounts, and absolutely played the fucker like non-stop in our free time for at least two weeks.

Have used it sparingly since then, but to be honest, haven't been all that impressed with where they've taken development. I'd have preferred things like more build options/ores/etc, where they did potions/experience/enchanting/etc.

Great game though.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2011, 06:20.

News Comments > Rebellion Plans to Make Better Games
13. Re: Rebellion Plans to Make Better Games<br> Following the critical failure of Rebellion's recent ga Nov 18, 2011, 20:38 Ventura

This is all a bit harsh. Their AvP games are certainly no worse than the multitude of crap movie-games that are always being released alongside the latest blockbusters.

Okay, so they won't win any awards, but they're far, far better. Night and day, if I'm being honest. I got my money's worth from AvP 2010, for sure.

Rebellion probably couldn't come out and say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if much of the problem turned out to be Fox themselves. They've never really understood the potential of the AvP franchise, a fact that is most definitively backed up by the insanely low production budgets awarded to their movies.

The real players, those that make the main franchises, throw huge amounts of money at their movies. Harry Potter, Spiderman, Transformers, Pirates... some of these cost upwards of $200 million to make. You got to spend money to make money, right?

AvP 1? $60 million. AvP 2? $40 million. Same with Predators. For fuck's sake. Twice that was spent making Adam Sandler's new comedy, Jack and Jill. Are you shitting me?

No, when Fox tell Rebellion they want a new AvP, they will want it fast, and they will want it cheap. And you can say take better deals, but when it's that or nothing, and you have employees to feed and a studio you really don't want to close, well, you do what you're asked.

If Rebellion were given time and resources, they could throw out something special. Outside of that, in this industry as a smaller, independant developer, I'm amazed they survive. Tough times.

News Comments > More Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Records
17. Re: More Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Records Nov 17, 2011, 21:14 Ventura

But the last Battlefield game didn't come out last year

Actually, Bad Company 2 was released in March of 2010, so yeah, the last Battlefield game did come out last year.

I've said before that the Frostbite engine is the one to beat, and BF3 is definitely the game to buy if you're heavily into multiplayer... but I'm not. MW3, on the other hand, has something for everyone.

Finally, more FPS's exist than just battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3, just because someone has a gripe with Modern Warfare 3 doesn't mean they are a bf3 fan, and visa versa.

I didn't say they were the only two FPS's doing the round these days, but the majority around here have used BF3 to criticise MW3 many a time. As far as they're concerned, it really does seem to be an either/or.

That said, you want to start talking about the engine powering Red Orchestra 2, be my guest.

News Comments > More Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Records
14. Re: More Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Records Nov 17, 2011, 18:02 Ventura

I've played most of the CoD series, and clocked a lot of online hours with MW1, MW2 and BLOPs - but can someone please tell me what MW3 brings to the table? It is literally just a map pack for MW2 with a few minor tweaks.

If I was to say BF3 is a map pack for Bad Company 2 with a few tweaks thrown in, that would be no less true.

No, much like with BF3, you're pretty much just getting more of the same. There have been changes, and there's some new stuff, but on the whole, they're not going to mess with what is clearly a winning formula. $775 million in 5 days is why you don't try to fix what's not broken.

And yeah, the campaign is a riot. Much, much better than the quicktime event-infested crap that shipped with BF3. I've had several "woah" moments, because of the things that've happened while playing.

Oh yeah, and Spec Ops Survival is lots of fun when cooped with a mate over Steam.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy: Assassin's Creed Revelations [Updated]
10. Re: Ships Ahoy: Assassin's Creed Revelations [Updated] Nov 15, 2011, 18:04 Ventura

Um. No they aren't. Its a continued storyline and the game series is far from being "milked" like Rainbow Six and Splinter Cell are.

That would be why the last Rainbow Six game came out over three and a half years ago, right?

People make me laugh sometimes. A new CoD every year and that's milking it, but it's fine for other franchises.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record
16. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 12, 2011, 18:43 Ventura

If you enjoy it then all power to you spend you money and have fun but next time read through a thread a few times before you reply to make sure you understand someones point of view.

See, what's funny is that your point of view has actually now changed. Your complaint is now about a lack of innovation, which as you'll notice had you actually read and understood my reply, I don't really have a problem with. That said, I do find it amusing, if just because none of the other main franchises are also really innovating either.

If the list of features present in these games isn't worth it to you, that's fine, but that doesn't mean they're skimping on the development in any way. They're just doing the same thing they've always done, because it would seem that's what a lot of people continue to want.

Personally, I'd just call that good business, but hey, maybe money's just not as important to you as it is to these guys.

I think BF3 really hurt MW3.

On the PC, I think it's Skyrim that hurt it more. While I went for MW3 this week, I'm seeing what you are; that is, so many others on my Steam list playing Skyrim instead. While shooter fans may have gotten their fill from BF3 and have passed on MW3 because of that, I'd say far more only budgeted for one title at around this time, and decided Skyrim was going to be it.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2011, 19:04.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record
9. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Sets Sales Record Nov 12, 2011, 08:40 Ventura

It is what it is and while it breaks records Activision will churn out another Map pack (sorry I mean full game) next year guaranteed. Wouldnt you ? very little effort for maximum reward. It strikes me that with there being so little apparent development

That's a bit harsh. It has a complete single player campaign, fully-featured multiplayer, Spec Ops missions, and Spec Ops survival. It's not like there's not lots to do, and unlike Battlefield 3, there really is something for everyone.

I don't mind criticism with regards to its lack of innovation or because it using the same engine, but all you're really doing is making stuff up because you don't like that it sells so well.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records
34. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 21:15 Ventura

Why would you even consider buying this pos in the first place?

I don't know, maybe because I did my homework. Wouldn't want to be accused of being a mindless fucking drone, after all.

The thought occurs that if people can't get enough of something, you continue to make money supplying it. Isn't that like, good business practice 101?

I don't get it, everyone else is out for as much money as they can get, nobody bats an eyelid. Activision cater to what many gamers obviously want, and people cry foul?

They're a business boys, just like all the others.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records
28. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 17:26 Ventura

The sad sad state that is gaming.. BF3 at least does something new and unique.. MW3 doesn't even try.. just the same again and again and again and again. And it sells like drugs

Huh? From where I'm looking, the reverse of that is actually true.

The Battlefield guys made BF3 pretty much multiplayer only in light of it having probably the worst, most consolised single player campaign ever. A pity, granted, because that Frostbite 2 engine is the one to beat. How you can make an engine that great and still fuck up the campaign so badly though, I'll never know, but they managed to pull it off.

If people want to criticise MW3 because it uses the same old engine, fair enough, you can do that. It might still look fine compared to most other shooters, but if it makes you feel better, that's cool. But you can't really complain about it not being unique, innovative, or revolutionary when it's BF3 you're comparing it to.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Reviews
17. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Reviews Nov 9, 2011, 04:31 Ventura

Too many people complaining about the single player. If you ever thought these games had anything to do with single player whatsoever, you rode on the short bus as a kid. This game has about as much to do with single player as World of Warcraft, haha.

I think you're confused mate, because that's something to be said about BF3, not MW3.

Black Ops hit a home run with the really rather huge amount of offline content stuffed onto that disk, and while I'd say there's not quite as much with MW3, there's still plenty to do for those of us not really into multiplayer.

I'm all for you spending your time in multiplayer if that's what floats your boat, but that's a door that swings both ways.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
47. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Nov 8, 2011, 23:50 Ventura

There is ONE REASON why the majority of the posts below are negative. THAT REASON is becuase people like me OWN YOU THE SECOND YOU LOG ONTO MULTIPLAYER SERVERS.

And I dont mean they are getting beat 12-8. I mean they get OWNED by hard core players 33-1.

AND THAT 1 is from second chance when I happen to be reloading and knifing some other poor fool.

THATS WHY THEY DONT LIKE IT. HAHAhAHAAHAhaahahaaha

For christ's sake mate, put a fucking sock in it. You're making us look bad. No wonder Call of Duty gamers get the rep they do.

On behalf of those of us that are actually enjoying Modern Warfare 3 AND can put together a coherent sentence to save our lives, I want to apologise for this clown.

Okay, so it's not going to win any innovation awards, but it was never going to. I don't touch multiplayer, but the campaign has been reviewed reasonably well (in all fairness, it couldn't be worse than BF3's campaign), and as I said before, Survival is an absolute blast. Granted, that IS why I bought it.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
45. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Nov 8, 2011, 21:14 Ventura

Haven't had a lot of time to read the comments here, but I've been really enjoying MW3's new Survival mode. Not much else to say thus far, but definitely worth it for me.  

News Comments > Steam Forums Hacked?
34. Re: Steam Forums Hacked? Nov 7, 2011, 19:43 Ventura

Just changed my Steam password too. Don't much care for the forums, but as others have said, the value of my Steam account grows all the time, and more security would be welcome.

Not that I wasn't happy it emailed me a confirmation code when putting in a change password request which I had to enter, but one of them key generator thingies would just top it.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Celeb Trailer
7. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Celeb Trailer Nov 6, 2011, 21:07 Ventura

Don't know why you would expect it, CoD is clearly not developed for PC.

These days, aside from titles like Minecraft, what is?

News Comments > Call of Duty Elite TV Console Only
13. Re: Call of Duty Elite TV Console Only Nov 5, 2011, 20:08 Ventura

I think the last time I turned on the xbox was over a year ago.

I'm the same, which is why I bit the bullet and put my 360 on eBay. It won't go for much though, it's a launch console, manufactured in 2005, still kicking.

That'll happen when you never turn it on though, it doesn't get a chance to heat up and die. I never paid for gold membership either, had it for the first month for free, and that was it.

Waste of money for a pc gamer like me. Live and learn.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Preloads & Other Launch Prep
1. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Preloads & Other Launch Prep Nov 5, 2011, 08:59 Ventura

Just out of curiosity, because obviously nobody's gonna drop a lot of money to get the pc version early, but if consoles had unlock times for games like Steam does, does anyone think there'd be any serious fallout from that?

Actually, probably not. Most of those who will already have a copy of MW3 on either the 360 or PS3 will be well aware they have it ahead of the game's official release date, and I doubt those who don't would care too much about having to wait another couple of days.

That said, I'm as much a fan of Steam as the next guy, but I've had it on occasion where it wouldn't let me play a game I've bought from a store, and I'll admit it's not the nicest feeling in the world. It's just as well here in Western Australia stores aren't allowed to be open at midnight, because even if they were and I were able to go get it then, Steam would just make me wait 9 hours before I could play anyway.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Social Experience Trailer; Midnight Madness Plans
13. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Social Experience Trailer; Midnight Madness Plans Nov 3, 2011, 18:41 Ventura

Stop buying this kind of crap dammit!

Are you kidding? By all accounts they've done a great job with it this year. Among other things, the new survival mode is getting pretty good press and assures there really is something for everyone (unlike BF3, dare I say).

I'm all for shitting on bad games, but that's not really the case here. The whole 'cod hate' thing is really starting to get old.

News Comments > Hard Reset Adds "Survival" Mode
1. Re: Hard Reset Adds "Survival" Mode Nov 3, 2011, 07:45 Ventura

Nobody's played this? Survival modes float my boat.

Alas, gameplay videos have not been as impressive as I'd hoped, and at $30 it's a little expensive for an indie title.

I'll wait for a price drop. MW3 out next week anyway

632 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo