Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 275885
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 625 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Coupon Support
32. Re: Steam Coupon Support Dec 7, 2011, 16:51 Ventura

Reading this makes me feel so inadequate as a PC gamer. I have to start spending some more cash!

You and me both: Found 37 Games with a value of $507.64 USD.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > AVault for Sale
14. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 05:16 Ventura

If I recall correctly Rich from Gone Gold was a cop and GG was always just a part-time thing

If I remember correctly, Rich was experiencing a lot of pain, and that's when he had Bill Harris show up to start writing. Rich then basically disappeared completely not long afterwards, and then a little bit later, Bill left to start his Dubious Quality blog.

It's a real shame what happened to Rich. He used to write some truly amazing stuff.

News Comments > Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch
21. Re: Notch Passes the Minecraft Torch Dec 2, 2011, 19:05 Ventura

From a certain point of view, this happened months ago. Notch's heart hasn't been in it for a while.

That said, the bit about him taking a rest for a while is a little amusing. Most people work, and every so often, they take a holiday. This year, Notch has been on holiday, and every so often, he's done a little work.

Granted, he can now afford to live his life this way, so good for him.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2011, 00:33 Ventura

Dades wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 22:22:
I don't see any evidence to support that. The bulk of development is multiplatform work and it depends on the game in question whether PC exclusive features make sense or not. Battlefield 3 worked out well for EA and didn't compromise the console versions at all. It gave me a flagship title to launch Origin and PC games tend to have higher profit margins than console titles.

You don't see any evidence to support it? What, console titles like Call of Duty smashing sales records each and every year not conclusive enough for you?

I'm all for more effort paid to our PC games, but when's the last time a game sold anywhere nearly as much on the PC as it did on either the 360 or PS3?

That higher profit margin doesn't count for much when your average game might sell 2.5 million copies on the 360 and 150,000 on PC.

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2011, 21:33 Ventura

it just takes some effort specifically directed at the PC stage of development for it to be pulled off successfully.

The problem is that, as far as effort vs reward is concerned, it's just not there. They're clearly much better off just catering to the console crowd and porting half-arsed crap across.

Granted, it doesn't give them any right to complain about sales numbers on the PC though.

News Comments > No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
162. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 26, 2011, 17:09 Ventura

Prez wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 15:53:
It's ironic that you are saying it's an "idiotic argument to make" when you are using the smallest slice of anecdotal evidence (yourself) to extrapolate that everyone else must do things exactly the same. Unless you follow every single pirate's habits and spy on everything each one does, the only BS argument here is yours, since you are just pulling shit out of your ass. Sorry.

Christ mate, you come down in the last shower or something?

Have a look around. Get a feel for how people treat each other in this day and age. Maybe society is just different in your neck of the woods or something, but these days all I ever see are people putting themselves ahead of what would be the right thing to do. All day, every day.

There's no way on this Earth anywhere near a sizeable percentage of pirates will actually buy something that they've already downloaded. Sorry, no. Not a chance. End of story. If buying it would unlock content they don't have access to playing the pirated version, then maybe, but that's not based on some sort of moral code.

Dmitri nailed it. It's bullshit, and anyone who thinks otherwise really needs to open their eyes.

100. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 09:35 Ventura

If you make the official product more convenient than the pirated one, people are more likely to buy the official one. However, publishers are forcing legitimate customers to deal with CD-keys, online activations, limited installs, constant internet connection requirements, etc.

No argument there, Jerykk. Fair call mate, and despite several having had a go in here, you're the first to have brought up what I consider to be a decent point. I'm all for them taking steps to eliminate piracy, but at the point where legitimate paying customers are having to work harder than the pirates, well, that's a problem.

Compared to console gamers being able to just throw the disk in and play, I can fully understand some of the resentment being dished out here, particularly towards Ubisoft. I haven't bought from them for a while, to be honest, and just thinking about having to stomach all of that is enough to give me a headache.

even more sick of ignorant assholes equating piracy with theft.

Brilliant. Now it's not even theft.

I'm all for a well thought out discussion on the topic, but InBlack, seriously, you have like... nothing.

Actually, I tell a lie. You have a nifty blue line, but alas, not much else.

I'll use "Splinter Cell Chaos Theory", a game that avoided being cracked for over a year, which is pretty rare

Actually, I read it was playable from day one for most people, it just required more work than usual. Seems that people had to use an app to hide their drive from the Starforce protection, in addition to something like DT to mount.

Fair enough though, maybe there's some truth to what you're saying, and maybe there just aren't that many dedicated PC gamers around anymore. That said, among so many potentials, it's a pity you have only one example. Jury's still out, I'd say, which makes me anything but trolling.

Edit: And the world of goo numbers indeed have some factual basis behind them:
http://2dboy.com/2008/11/13/90/

That was a very interesting read. Seems like they put a lot of work into finally determining an 82% piracy rate. Not quite as high as Ubisoft are stating, but still pretty high.

84. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 05:44 Ventura

InBlack wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 05:27:
I thought we killed that high horse ages ago Ventura??

What's amusing is that you proceeded to say nothing to counter my point of view. Just a whole load of crap about how you think I've crossed the line, which leads me to believe that I've hit the nail just a tad too close to the head for your liking.

82. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 05:09 Ventura

Jerykk wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 04:40:
Isn't that somewhat contradictory? If they felt a game was worth buying, they'd buy it. Obviously they don't feel it is worth buying if they don't buy it. I think it's much safer to assume that most pirates are very cheap and/or don't have the means to buy every game they pirate.

Yeah, right. Whether or not a pirate is really enjoying a game he's just downloaded and installed is a mute point, because I don't for a second believe that anywhere near a significant number of them will then go and buy it as a consequence. Not when it's something they technically already own.

In this day and age, where games are like 10gig a pop, the "I can't afford it" pirates do amuse me. Can't afford to buy the games, but high-speed internet with no bandwidth caps, yeah they've got the money for that.

80. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 04:18 Ventura

WoodroweBones19 wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 23:45:
I've "pirated" other games that didnt provide demos and if I found they were worth it I bought them as I'm betting the majority of that 95% do.

Considering the PC platform has been all-but-abandoned by the big-budget studios, I would wager their sales numbers would strongly disagree with that one.

There's no way anywhere near the majority of pirates are buying titles they feel are worth it. Sorry, not a chance.

WoodroweBones19 wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 23:45:
UBI is banking on doing most of their sales with hype/ads and not on game content which is why they are so concerned with piracy.

The thought occurs that, these days, hype is as good at selling a game as that game's actual content. Skyrim sold respectably on the PC, which is saying something, and I don't think it did so because people were watching gameplay videos and reading reviews. It's the hype that did it.

Granted, hype is far from always being a good thing though. Duke Forever is proof of that one. But it's not always a bad thing either. Sometimes it's deserved, other times it's not.

74. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 23:32 Ventura

If 95% of people on PC are pirating your game it means your game has now seen an audience 20 times larger than it would have without piracy.

The insinuation that there's no harm done because so many (claim they) wouldn't have bought the game anyway is one that I continue to find amusing. You know it's still wrong and that you're just contributing to the biggest problem facing the PC platform, don't you?

I mean, am I the only one who wants to play his FPS's with a mouse? Tell me I'm not. Seems like everyone here just wants to give Ubisoft the finger, and I wonder how many around here are only pissed because it means there'll be no torrent to pick up come release day.

60. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 21:15 Ventura

I don't know many people in my day to day life who still buy retail unless they have no other option. Digital might be equal, or it might be more.

In all fairness, my retail purchase was probably just because I live in Australia, and if you pay Steam's prices out here, you have more money than sense. I saved $37 taking advantage of a good store's pre-order offer.

MW3 is most certainly aimed at a console audience, and nobody with any sense disputes that.

My point is that it's not deliberate. They're just going where the money is, and that happens to be with the consoles. When 96% of your customers either buy on the 360 or the PS3, that's who you cater to. I bought the game on the PC, and I hate that as a platform it will likely see a lot less support, but from a business sense I can completely understand it.

You can easily make numbers say what ever you want. Black Ops 5.2 million pirated copies versus 25 million sales Worldwide we are very far away from the 95% piracy rate!!! would'nt you say ?

Ahh, but how many of the 25 million sales of Black Ops were on the PC platform? That's the question.

48. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 18:55 Ventura

Did you buy MW3 from Steam or some other online distributor or did you buy the game from retail? If you didn't get it retail then you're part of that 95%, ace.

I got it from retail, ace. Even if the number of digital sales happened to equal the number of retail sales (read: best case scenario), the pc platform would still only be at 6%. Nice try though.

To me, it seems like Console Piracy is going up and it seems to be that they are getting the titles way early like they used to on the PC.

This is because legitimate console versions can be played right away, while Steam games have to wait until they're unlocked before they're playable (and crackable).

MW3 is aimed at a console audience

It's not aimed at a console audience. It's aimed at who's doing the buying, and that's not pc gamers these days. You go where the money is.

42. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 18:19 Ventura

Verno wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 13:21:
95% piracy rate, oh boy. Well trolled.

You guys are all acting like he's wildly exaggerating, but if the percentage actually happened to be at around that, I don't think I'd really be all that surprised.

Whether you like it or not, piracy on the PC platform is obviously a huge concern. These guys don't want to see 2000 people pirating their game for every 100 sales, and who would?

Titles can still do reasonably well, of course, but as said before, that probably just means an even greater number of pirates are also enjoying it.

Edit:
I picked up the PC version of Modern Warfare 3. According to the info at vgchartz.com, PC sales of the game are at about 3%. I bet more than 95% have pirated this one.

News Comments > Rebellion Plans to Make Better Games
19. Re: Rebellion Plans to Make Better Games<br> Following the critical failure of Rebellion's recent ga Nov 19, 2011, 22:08 Ventura

I see what you are saying Ventura. But if you reread Rebellion s excuse, even tho valid.... Basicly they are gonna market the games to you telling you how freaking cool it is.... only to show up afterwards saying the game is only as good as the deal they took.

You don't really think they'd comment on the poor quality of a deal during development, do you? Nevermind that it would be a violation of their contract, Fox would pull the plug and then they'd be out of work. For a developer, it would be akin to commiting career suicide.

These guys are going to be treated like cattle. They're given few resources (because of Fox), and are told what to do and when to do it by.

We'd all like games (and movies) that live up to the potential of these two franchises, but clearly Fox don't want to spend that kind of money, and that's not Rebellion's fault.

News Comments > Minecraft Version 1.0
8. Re: Minecraft Version 1.0 Nov 19, 2011, 06:05 Ventura

Haha - most of the people I know who play Minecraft played the beta to death and got sick of it, so I doubt they'll care.

Pretty much where I'm at. We jumped in at alpha, I bought three accounts, and absolutely played the fucker like non-stop in our free time for at least two weeks.

Have used it sparingly since then, but to be honest, haven't been all that impressed with where they've taken development. I'd have preferred things like more build options/ores/etc, where they did potions/experience/enchanting/etc.

Great game though.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2011, 06:20.

News Comments > Rebellion Plans to Make Better Games
13. Re: Rebellion Plans to Make Better Games<br> Following the critical failure of Rebellion's recent ga Nov 18, 2011, 20:38 Ventura

This is all a bit harsh. Their AvP games are certainly no worse than the multitude of crap movie-games that are always being released alongside the latest blockbusters.

Okay, so they won't win any awards, but they're far, far better. Night and day, if I'm being honest. I got my money's worth from AvP 2010, for sure.

Rebellion probably couldn't come out and say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if much of the problem turned out to be Fox themselves. They've never really understood the potential of the AvP franchise, a fact that is most definitively backed up by the insanely low production budgets awarded to their movies.

The real players, those that make the main franchises, throw huge amounts of money at their movies. Harry Potter, Spiderman, Transformers, Pirates... some of these cost upwards of $200 million to make. You got to spend money to make money, right?

AvP 1? $60 million. AvP 2? $40 million. Same with Predators. For fuck's sake. Twice that was spent making Adam Sandler's new comedy, Jack and Jill. Are you shitting me?

No, when Fox tell Rebellion they want a new AvP, they will want it fast, and they will want it cheap. And you can say take better deals, but when it's that or nothing, and you have employees to feed and a studio you really don't want to close, well, you do what you're asked.

If Rebellion were given time and resources, they could throw out something special. Outside of that, in this industry as a smaller, independant developer, I'm amazed they survive. Tough times.

News Comments > More Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Records
17. Re: More Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Records Nov 17, 2011, 21:14 Ventura

But the last Battlefield game didn't come out last year

Actually, Bad Company 2 was released in March of 2010, so yeah, the last Battlefield game did come out last year.

I've said before that the Frostbite engine is the one to beat, and BF3 is definitely the game to buy if you're heavily into multiplayer... but I'm not. MW3, on the other hand, has something for everyone.

Finally, more FPS's exist than just battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3, just because someone has a gripe with Modern Warfare 3 doesn't mean they are a bf3 fan, and visa versa.

I didn't say they were the only two FPS's doing the round these days, but the majority around here have used BF3 to criticise MW3 many a time. As far as they're concerned, it really does seem to be an either/or.

That said, you want to start talking about the engine powering Red Orchestra 2, be my guest.

News Comments > More Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Records
14. Re: More Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Records Nov 17, 2011, 18:02 Ventura

I've played most of the CoD series, and clocked a lot of online hours with MW1, MW2 and BLOPs - but can someone please tell me what MW3 brings to the table? It is literally just a map pack for MW2 with a few minor tweaks.

If I was to say BF3 is a map pack for Bad Company 2 with a few tweaks thrown in, that would be no less true.

No, much like with BF3, you're pretty much just getting more of the same. There have been changes, and there's some new stuff, but on the whole, they're not going to mess with what is clearly a winning formula. $775 million in 5 days is why you don't try to fix what's not broken.

And yeah, the campaign is a riot. Much, much better than the quicktime event-infested crap that shipped with BF3. I've had several "woah" moments, because of the things that've happened while playing.

Oh yeah, and Spec Ops Survival is lots of fun when cooped with a mate over Steam.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy: Assassin's Creed Revelations [Updated]
10. Re: Ships Ahoy: Assassin's Creed Revelations [Updated] Nov 15, 2011, 18:04 Ventura

Um. No they aren't. Its a continued storyline and the game series is far from being "milked" like Rainbow Six and Splinter Cell are.

That would be why the last Rainbow Six game came out over three and a half years ago, right?

People make me laugh sometimes. A new CoD every year and that's milking it, but it's fine for other franchises.

625 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo