Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 275885
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 658 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Rolls Out
13. Re: American Truck Simulator Rolls Out Feb 3, 2016, 07:16 Ventura

They added Oculus DK2 support on launch.

Any company doing that surely gets my vote, and I know there's not a lot of content, but $20 isn't a whole lot of cash, either, so I figure it breaks even.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Oculus Rift $599
102. Re: Oculus Rift $599 Jan 7, 2016, 21:38 Ventura

Quinn wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 04:11:
Ridiculous price for a dumb thing. Knock on my door once all games support it by default and it's not just a lame headpiece but an entire body piece, with some sort of treadmill tech included.

This is just so meh, so overhyped. Imo.

Tell me you've played it, like the DK2 or something, because seriously, anyone can call something overhyped they've had absolutely no exposure to.

Coming from someone who has sunk hundreds of hours into titles like Euro Truck Sim 2, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars and Elite Dangerous with a DK2 on my head, it was a no-brainer. Expensive, granted, but sure, I'm in. I could never play a game in which I'm in a cockpit again without it being in VR.

To those that haven't, think things like triple-screen monitors and trackIR get you there? No. It's not even *close*.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous VR Specs
33. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Specs Dec 6, 2015, 17:20 Ventura

Tom wrote on Dec 6, 2015, 12:46:
I'm talking about Elite being firmly in the "Notable Exceptions" section of this list. Having to use an obsolete runtime and extended mode is a poor experience by itself. Then there are issues like this where Frontier is clearly not testing/playing the game with VR themselves. It gives me the impression they're just in it for the money, they don't really have a clue about VR, and yet they have the hubris to characterize their work as "only the best VR experience out there"? Come on. Seriously?

Fair enough mate. Granted, the lack of support for the more recent runtimes is a bit of an issue, though I'm (sadly) used to it thanks to the likes of Assetto Corsa. That said, Slighty Mad Studios, developer of Project Cars, were able to get their title working with runtime 7+, and they can't be that much bigger a developer than Frontier.

It does reek of not giving a damn, I'll be honest, which leads to them having the nerve to post their minimum VR specs, as if it's something they've proven themselves committed to. Granted.

I wrote what I did, though, and stand by it, because, for better or worse, I still find the Elite Dangerous VR experience to be second to none. I'm not a huge fan of the game, I'll be honest, it's a bit of a grind (as I'm finding, now), but the immersion is out of this world. Whether or not they do give a damn, hey, what do I know? But outside of that, I can only go on the experience, and for me, it set the bar.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous VR Specs
26. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Specs Dec 5, 2015, 20:40 Ventura

Tom wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 12:44:
Elite "only the best VR experience out there"??!! Ha! Ridiculous. It was one of the first, but hardly the best. I'd say it's varied wildly throughout its lifetime from completely unusable to moderately good on the DK2, with the last several months being stuck firmly at poor.

I don't really know how to respond to this, because you're writing as if you know what you're talking about, but all I can say is that, for my part (and that of many others whom I've had contact with), it's grossly inaccurate.

Every experience is subjective anyway, so maybe it just wasn't your cup of tea (I'm going to assume you've tried most), but Elite is considered one of the best VR experiences there is. I spent more time in Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Assetto Corsa way back when, but more recently I've gotten back into Elite again, and the immersion is astonishing. I wouldn't lie and pretend I'd still be playing if VR support was dropped, but isn't that just another compliment?

But if, as you say, it's hardly the best, or that it's just "moderately good" (or even poor), then please, feel free to elaborate on what you feel is so much better.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege Released
15. Re: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege Released Dec 2, 2015, 08:34 Ventura

The strength of the classic R6 games was "realism" (as far as possible in a video game). This Siege piece of shit is the pinnacle of lameness.

And on the flip side, you don't regenerate health back when shot in Siege and you can't take cover while still being able to see around the corner like you could with Vegas.

Regardless of your thoughts with that bomb defuser mode, these are surely steps in the right direction.

It's not a perfect game, and no AAA developer is going to shoot for realism at the expense of potentially selling more copies, but what's here I'm certainly finding enjoyable. I just wish there was more of it.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege Released
7. Re: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege Released Dec 1, 2015, 17:18 Ventura

I could terrorist hunt all day, so I picked it up.

While the lack of a campaign is a bit of a let down, the situations (as they call them) do tend to lend themselves well to that SWAT motif IMO, where your job might just be to go in and rescue a hostage or some such. I've only done a couple of them, but I am looking forward to the others, and I could easily see myself replaying some of them on harder difficulties.

More terrorist hunt customisation would be nice though. Basically you just click on terrorist hunt and go, and the game chooses the mode and map for you at random. You can influence that by enabling or disabling what you'd like to have come up in the options menus, but I'd rather be able to directly pick those things myself.

Outside of that, yes it's faster than Rainbow Six of old, but hey, was it ever not going to be?

News Comments > Green Man Gaming Key Sources Follow-up
14. Re: Into the Black Nov 19, 2015, 01:20 Ventura

If you want to be playing at 12:01 on launch, you might want to consider elsewhere.

Or, as would certainly seem to be the case with Star Wars Battlefront, if you just want to playing any time on release day, you're better off considering elsewhere.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Closed Beta Extended
2. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Closed Beta Extended Sep 30, 2015, 18:18 Ventura

I've played a bit of Terrorist Hunt, and it's pretty good, but they're taking the piss charging $60US for this when compared to titles like Black Ops 3, which is just going to be packed full of features.  

News Comments > New EverQuest Expansion Next Month
16. Re: New EverQuest Expansion Next Month Sep 18, 2015, 10:19 Ventura

Yeah you really didn't get what I said.

Nor you what he said.

But that's cool. I would expect someone who has only played WoW, and not also EQ1, to insinuate such a comparison were fair. Thing is, it was an exceedingly different time back in 1999, and five years might not sound like a lot, but in the MMO industry, *that* five years really was.

EQ1 hit 450k ish subscribers at its peak, WoW over 12 million. You want to "adjust for inflation", as it were, and all of a sudden it's a very different ballgame.

News Comments > Minecraft PC Sells > 20M
23. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jul 1, 2015, 05:44 Ventura

NKD wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 23:52:
Anyway, this took me a good 15 minutes to put together, so I hope you enjoy.

He's not wrong about it being a fluke though, let's be honest. And to hate something just because it's successful, well, have we not all been guilty of that one?

For what it's worth, though, I bought Minecraft back when it was in alpha, and, considering the hours I put into it, the thing just might've been the best value for money purchase I ever made. I'll never play it again, though.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced
59. Re: Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced Jun 13, 2015, 00:02 Ventura

Even though it's not for me and I'll never use it, I do get why did they did the whole thing with the Xbox controller. Not just because it's wireless, but also because it can be used without really having to look at it, which is something that today's VR definitely has to overcome.

That said, I have two DK2's, and the absolute majority of my time playing has been spent playing cockpit stuff. Mainly racing games, but with a touch of Elite Dangerous here and there. The best experiences that can be had right now, IMO, are Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Project Cars. You have a wheel, a stick shift, and pedals, and these are devices that most people can operate without having to look at them.

Honestly, I couldn't believe the video with the chick playing the Xbox One racing game while looking at a virtual screen. Really, what were they thinking? The way the room went so quiet after it played kinda says it all. I'll tell you what they should have done; they should have announced a partnership with SCS software and their upcoming American Truck Simulator, that's what. Compared to their lacklustre response, the crowd would've been positively buzzing.

Outside of being in a cockpit of sorts, I don't think FPS's are going to really work in VR in the immediate future because anything where your avatar is moving but you're not is going to make people sick. Like most who have enjoyed VR for what it delivers already, then, this controller will probably never get a look in.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2015, 02:17.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Project CARS
1. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Project CARS May 7, 2015, 00:44 Ventura

Starting to regret buying a cd-key from G2A, cause they are in no hurry to send them out :/  

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Apr 17, 2015, 21:46 Ventura

For his sake, I hope he fixes the underlying issue, or return it will.  

News Comments > Frontier Announces Coaster Park Tycoon & Layoffs
8. Re: Frontier Announces Coaster Park Tycoon & Layoffs Jan 26, 2015, 19:45 Ventura

Chance of me buying this based on what features they say it's going to include: 0%.

Fool me once, guys...

News Comments > Minecraft Name Changes Next Month
12. Re: Minecraft Name Changes Next Month Jan 13, 2015, 05:38 Ventura

Sepharo wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 00:38:
Stolk wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 00:22:
Minecraft is a pretty popular name. I see no reason to change it.

Oh you.

I can't read that now without thinking of that Seinfeld episode where he says it to his girlfriend because he doesn't know what her name is.

News Comments > Notch Buys $70M Beverly Hills Mansion
24. Re: Notch Buys $70M Beverly Hills Mansion Dec 19, 2014, 04:45 Ventura

So, that'd be approximately 1 billion, 930 million dollars to go, then?

Upkeep? Somehow I think he'll be fine.

News Comments > SimCity 2000 Free on Origin
7. Re: SimCity 2000 Free on Origin Dec 10, 2014, 04:28 Ventura

InBlack wrote on Dec 10, 2014, 04:10:
Maaybe one day when they release that must have killer game that I must, must have.

This is basically where I'm at. Free or otherwise, nothing in their entire catalog could make me want to re-install Origin, least of all, a SimCity game that's pushing 20 years old.

News Comments > No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe
93. Re: No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe Dec 10, 2014, 04:17 Ventura

DangerDog wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 21:20:
Even the ones that were crying the loudest about the switch to online only have since gone with the flow and have accepted the change.

And don't you let the 103-page thread over in the official support forums from people requesting refunds dare convince you of otherwise.

DangerDog wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 21:20:
Being such a niche market segment I don't think they can afford to give the game away for free which is what they would have done with an offline version.

Evidently those of us that ponied up good money for that offline version didn't feel the same way.

News Comments > No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe
77. Re: No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe Dec 9, 2014, 17:25 Ventura

Slick wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 15:43:
hoo boy that online tho! i want single player so that i have LESS than a 1 in 4 million chance to see anyone.

I like how everyone else kinda moved on and somewhat let it go, but no, not you.

Incidentally, I would wager that, for most, offline mode was more about not having the internet at all than it was about having it but not wanting to play with other people. Although, to be frank, the fact that you're somewhat condescending really doesn't help you pushing that multiplayer perspective; I mean, were I presenting a case for single player, I think I'd pony you up as Exhibit A, and rest my case.

Sorry, though, for raining on your parade once again.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refunds Reconsidered
23. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refunds Reconsidered Nov 22, 2014, 07:17 Ventura

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 22, 2014, 06:06:
it was never stated there would be offline play.

Wrong. They said specifically that it would when asked about it, and more than once, too. Here's one such example for you, taken from the Kickstarter's comments section, but there are others out there from reddit and the like.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2014, 07:26.

658 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo