Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1838 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 Unfettered on PCs
12. Re: Fallout 4 Unfettered on PCs Jun 22, 2015, 14:35 Silicon Avatar

ItBurn wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 14:02:
I for one am FOR sold mods. If done right.

I don't see how they can get all mods on console. Like, there's no way they'll allow the script extender or ENB modifications. All of the best mods use these.

Maybe they built a bunch of the script extender's functionality into the toolkit this time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2015, 13:52 Silicon Avatar

Games now are way cheaper than they used to be. I can get a full 40 hour RPG for $15-25 if I just wait a little bit. It's kind of nuts.

Developers are going to run into the same problem webcomics and mobile app makers have run into. They priced themselves to the very bottom and now fans expect things for low prices and/or free.

It's easy to pull out of though - quit selling things below equilibrium and take the hit on # of units sold. They'd end up with fans who would pay full price. Then up-market those fans with cool merch and extras. I suspect that is more lucrative than selling to cheap people. After the buzz is gone, sell what's left cheap and immediately launch a new game.

So, basically, go back to the old model.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Unfettered on PCs
3. Re: Fallout 4 Unfettered on PCs Jun 22, 2015, 13:39 Silicon Avatar

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 13:25:
Duh...

Question is, are they going to try to sell mods?

They already said no.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 22, 2015, 00:41 Silicon Avatar

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 21, 2015, 19:57:
I feel like a old person saying this (get of my lawn!) but I can honestly say I skipped Facebook and any other social media crap and I feel glad for it. I don't want to talk to tertiary family members, people I once met and now are irrelevant in my life etc. In some way Facebook even disenfranchises you from your own private life... you lose control over what is you and what is virtual you. And put it in the hands of a giant evil corporation, which in case of Facebook is meant quite literal. And worse, Facebook "friends" tagging you in images...

Btw, all those other news links are about the same level of depressing

You didn't miss a thing.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 21, 2015, 19:39 Silicon Avatar

I wouldn't think AMD would want to split now that they have announced new graphics cards. That would make people wait to see what was going to happen instead of buying the new cards.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 21, 2015, 19:33 Silicon Avatar

I wiped my FB a few months ago along with a bunch of other "social media" and I feel better for it.

I should have dumped it even sooner but I stupidly thought it would get better somehow.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Jun 21, 2015, 19:28 Silicon Avatar

I didn't buy anything this year. I have too much backlog right now to add new things.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jun 20, 2015, 14:28 Silicon Avatar

I think I tried to get in once and the server wouldn't let me play so I quit and forgot about it.

I didn't even buy anything on sale. I just have to much stuff to finish already.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 20, 2015, 14:07 Silicon Avatar

If AMD splits can we just call their graphics arm ATI again?

ATI has about a third of the market for graphics cards as far as PCs go. They can probably make it. I don't know about AMD CPUs though. Maybe they want to shed that division so that it's attractive for some big buyer (who isn't Intel) to add to a patent portfolio. I could see that happening.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 19, 2015, 23:31 Silicon Avatar

Sounds like HDs are finally on the way out. I can't think of anything they can do to compete.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
28. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 14:26 Silicon Avatar

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 14:13:
gravity wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 12:51:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 10:28:
Apparently there's an existing controversy in the news about Apartheid flags replacing Confederate ones as a symbol of prejudice and discrimination in the more backward parts of America, brought to light by an association with the suspect in the supposedly racially-motivated shooting in Charleston a couple days ago. So it seems a fair bit of bad timing for Squeenix and the reveal of this game using that phrase as a slugline.

Not to be a "correction-jerk," but it's not 'supposedly racially motivated.' Matter-of fact, that's exactly what it was (admitted to it, and was hoping to incite a "civil war"), and it also is quite a thing here in the southern states to invoke apartheid of Zimbabwe/South Africa.

All said, I agree with the labeling of DX. It's exactly that, and I look forward to exploring the storyline.

I tend to use words like 'apparently' and 'supposedly' and 'allegedly' when referring to ANYTHING in the mainstream media. It's unwise to take everything you see there as plain fact, especially when you're dealing with sensationalist reporting of intangible things like motive and intentions.

Yeah... I think anytime you walk into a black church and kill black people and you are a known racist it is a good chance that your killing wasn't just "supposedly" racially motivated. I mean, if the news channel you are watching is trying to spin that you need to get off that news channel and watch something else.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 19, 2015, 14:24 Silicon Avatar

Good to know about the zero fan mode thing. I may look at that. Right now I have a case fan that is pretty noisy and I'm thinking about replacing it when I replace my video card. The PC should be pretty quiet after that.

It sounds like the 970 memory thing is not that big of a deal.

I imagine most people will have cards with 1 or 2 gigs onboard for the near future.

That is what I kind of hate about most review sites - they make all the reviews at 4k resolution with some beast machine but what I want to know is what I can expect at 1080p with an older i7.

When I look at the Steam Hardware Survey my specs are still above average for most gamers so I don't know why hardware sites have to push the $999 video card when everyone is really spending less than $200.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2015, 10:35 Silicon Avatar

The light-up doorknob is kind of cool since it draws power from the door being opened and closed. I think they could sell it just because it lights up and not even worry about killing germs.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 19, 2015, 10:26 Silicon Avatar

AMD's new architecture is interesting I guess but what I really want to see is real-world benchmarks from 3rd party reviewers. I assume those will come out on day 1 of product release.

Currently I'm looking at 980s but I'm going to wait until winter to buy anything. By then there will be price drops and maybe Christmas bargains.

The 970 is closer to what I really wanted to pay but apparently there is some issue with it effectively having 3.5GB of video RAM instead of the advertised 4GB and fans are so mad I can't tell if it matters or not. Maybe the Fury Nano is what I will want. Nobody knows because all we have at the moment is a bunch of charts and speculation and no product on the shelves.

I will probably still be playing at 1080p for the next 2 years or so. I am just not that excited for 4k.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
11. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 18, 2015, 11:28 Silicon Avatar

I liked New Vegas (I beat it multiple times) but it was lacking in exploration. The main map routed you on a specific path (which I hate) and a lot of the buildings couldn't even be entered. It had a much better story than Fallout 3 though.

Fallout 3's map made me feel more immersed in the wasteland and I felt like I was constantly finding new areas and new skeletal vignettes. The story was mostly okay if I recall, but not as good as NV. The only reason I kept replaying NV was because the engine had enough improvements to make me like it more overall. I very much enjoyed hard-core mode, for instance.

I haven't found any of the villains of any of the games as compelling as The Master from FO1. That could be nostalgia though. That's the big thing with Fallout. Everyone has a favorite and everyone is nostalgic for some specific game.

I REALLY enjoy that FO4 is not afraid to use color. I think it better underscores the loss than brown / green. You can see nature trying to come back - but humans are absent and everything man built is destroyed. I like that contrast.

Edit: The skeletons in their automated environment suits from the OWB DLC were a really creepy concept and one of the best new monsters I thought came out of any DLC. As far as DLC goes, OWB is the best I've ever played.

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2015, 11:37.

News Comments > AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced
53. Re: AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced Jun 17, 2015, 14:59 Silicon Avatar

Drayth wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 23:53:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 20:45:
Those cards with 8GB on board - I wonder if they would help Skyrim cope with using a lot of texture mods at normal playable resolutions (not 4k).

Unfortunately Skyrim has a 4gig software limit. The game just doesn't make use of anything above that limit no matter what your card has.

Oh. I thought one of the patches undid that.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 17, 2015, 09:55 Silicon Avatar

So... Playstation's reaction to BC is "Well, they went their way and we went ours. They have a feature we don't and that lets consumers choose."

Uh..

Not the best spin, dude.

39. Re: AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced Jun 16, 2015, 20:45 Silicon Avatar

Those cards with 8GB on board - I wonder if they would help Skyrim cope with using a lot of texture mods at normal playable resolutions (not 4k).

19. Re: AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced Jun 16, 2015, 18:09 Silicon Avatar

R9 Nano sounds interesting.

I'm still running a 6950 or something like that. I think they rebranded it wit a new name a year or so after I bought it. It still actually runs everything I play okay - that's why I never upgraded.

I'm kind of interested in upgrading by fall or winter though.

Maybe I should just build a new one entirely. Everything else is sort of old now too I guess.

>>> Asus is making a 27" IPS, 1440p Gsync.

That sounds interesting too.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Planned Changes
9. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Planned Changes Jun 15, 2015, 20:04 Silicon Avatar

I have 2 characters up to "beat" the main story line in the next week or so. I have 2 more that will "beat" it in about a month. They'll all be V1 or V2, which is good enough for me.

I'm not sure I'll keep subbing after that. I will use my points to buy something, call it good, and save the sub. money to put on FO4 in Nov.

It's a fun game and I got my $$ out of it but I'm probably about ready to move on and just play it casually for free. Nothing in this video really changed my mind about that.

1838 Comments. 92 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo