Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1533 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim LAA Patch
31. Re: Skyrim LAA Patch Dec 21, 2011, 10:48 Silicon Avatar

Whiterun has a little building in it that must have geometry out the wazoo (or some other mistake) because when I remove the building I get an extra 10 fps in that area.

All the other areas in the game run smoothly.

I had to run the 4gig aware program for Fallout New Vegas to get rid of micro-stutter, but Skyrim doesn't have that problem for me which is a very welcome improvement.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2?
7. Re: Company of Heroes 2? Dec 20, 2011, 12:06 Silicon Avatar

Maybe they will add Russians and Japanese this time.

USA vs. Germany is getting really stale for me.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale
76. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 23:08 Silicon Avatar

I noticed Geneforge saga was $10.

If anyone else is into those I've heard they are pretty good.

They're really old school style RPGs so check screen shots before you buy. A lot of people will probably be put off by the graphics.

Avadon is on sale. Same publisher. Similar style.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Dec 19, 2011, 22:59 Silicon Avatar

When I look to buy games I go to Steam first. If they have it I often wait for a sale.

I'd never even heard of Gamers Gate. When I went to look at it (and their "tutor" FAQ) what did I see? "Installer never starts", "Unable to install", "Can't activate my game", etc.

So basically this story is: Loser CEO talks trash about service he can't compete with.

News Comments > Enhanced Skyrim UI
47. Re: Enhanced Skyrim UI Dec 19, 2011, 12:20 Silicon Avatar

The interface needs improvement and this mod is a good start.

Now I need someone to redo the game textures without just doubling the resolution and slapping on a sharpen filter...

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 19, 2011, 12:07 Silicon Avatar

Minecraft creator eats lunch! Minecraft creator takes a dump!

News Comments > Skyrim Ships 10M; "Fastest Selling Title in Steam's History"
63. Re: Skyrim Ships 10M; Dec 18, 2011, 11:39 Silicon Avatar

Creston wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 22:52:
StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 22:15:
We suggest you use the mod manager because extracting a rar to the data folder is SO fucking complicated!

No, but uninstalling a particular mod that you manually installed can be quite a pain in the ass.

Creston

Yup.

Mod managers also help you sort out the load order. It's silly not to use one.

News Comments > Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up
19. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 22:06 Silicon Avatar

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 21:14:
Cutter wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 19:16:
That seems to be the consensus from those in the know and history seems to bear it out. He's just another living of example of how it's better to tbe lucky than good.

What, 35 million dollars down the drain, three complete reboots and 6 years of development time with continual promises about how awesome Tabula Rasa would be wasn't a clear enough example on its own?

I think people were hoping he'd pull out of the spiral, plus (for a lot of old gamers) there's an intense nostalgia factor involved with his old successes.

14. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 16:12 Silicon Avatar

Garriot hasn't really had any hits since Ultima. One has to wonder if he was a great designer or if he just had the ability and charisma to surround himself with people who made him seem great.

6. Re: Lord British/EA UO2 Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 11:47 Silicon Avatar

LoG looks pretty cool.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Dec 13, 2011, 11:16 Silicon Avatar

The story here is that TV is talking about video games to get people to watch TV.  

News Comments > New STO Intro Trailer
11. Re: New STO Intro Trailer Dec 11, 2011, 10:05 Silicon Avatar

I'll play STO again when it goes F2P.

It wasn't really the Star Trek game I wanted, but it was still pretty fun for what it was.

I mean, I liked it okay. I just didn't think it was worth a monthly fee.

News Comments > Unused System Shock Items Detailed
10. Re: Unused System Shock Items Detailed Dec 11, 2011, 01:12 Silicon Avatar

Ratty wrote on Dec 10, 2011, 14:26:
The original System Shock, Fallout, Ultima - those were games I really regret not ever having played in their time.

Fallout and Ultima were good stuff. I missed System Shock though.

I might try a play-through of Wasteland someday.

Planet's Edge was pretty good for what it attempted. The Might and Magic games (the RPGs that are no longer made) were good too. I still sort of miss New World Computing and Looking Glass.

Ultima Underworld was way, way ahead of its time.

News Comments > GSC/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Statement Monday
1. Re: GSC/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Statement Monday Dec 10, 2011, 13:33 Silicon Avatar

Sounds like a "Yes we're shutting down" to me. Otherwise they'd be denying it left and right.

Maybe someone else will get the Stalker license and make more games with it. Just because the studio shuts down doesn't mean the game can't live on. It just depends on who gets it..

Hopefully not EA.

Sorry for the folks at that developer though. Crap time to shut down - right before Christmas.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer; Launch Events
13. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer; Launch Events Dec 10, 2011, 09:17 Silicon Avatar

Sempai wrote on Dec 10, 2011, 08:11:
Drezden wrote on Dec 10, 2011, 07:35:
I agree for the most part, but keep in mind after 30 days you'll be paying more money in order to keep playing.

Yeah, that's the thing that gets me about MMOs. I'll pay a monthly fee or I'll pay for the box, but not both. I don't care if it has 20 KoToR quality story lines. There are just too many other good games out right now that don't have a monthly fee attached for me to care.

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming
49. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 8, 2011, 09:33 Silicon Avatar

Sometimes gamers are the worst. In the search for FPS they'll disable services, tweak registry values, overclock to the breach, buy hardware that hardly anyone supports, and/or install all manner of 3rd party "fixes" and "optmizers".

Months pass and they forget what they did. A new game comes out and (unsurprisingly to everyone but them) it crashes.

I'd say about 25% of the cases I read in the tech support forum are probably related to something gamers did to their own PCs.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 16:29 Silicon Avatar

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 15:47:
Kastagir wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 14:15:
Too many people have recognized Obsidian's incompetence.

I do find it interesting that when Obsidian releases a buggy game, they're incompetent, but when Bethesda releases a buggy game, they're endearing.

I don't know about endearing, but there's a significant difference between Obsidian games and Bethesda games in my experience. Bethesda games are pretty fun out of the box for me. They might glitch and have some crashes, but the gameplay is pretty decent and they're still pretty fun. Obsidian games usually feel rushed - liked they tried to do too much with too few people.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 12:35 Silicon Avatar

Same. I've actually had very, very few issues with Skyrim and I've got a ton of hours invested in it. For me this actually is the most bug-free Bethesda release I've ever seen.

I think the untold story is more interesting here.

If Sawyer's willing to step out and poke Bethesda either him and Hines have a really solid professional relationship or Sawyer just canned his chance to ever do another Fallout game.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 10:24 Silicon Avatar

Given the trashy broken state that Fallout New Vegas (and every other game Obsidian has ever touched) shipped in I don't think Obsidian is a credible source of information...

News Comments > AVault for Sale
17. Re: AVault for Sale Dec 6, 2011, 09:19 Silicon Avatar

Are there any other good gaming news sites beside this one?

I used to read Kotaku but then they redesigned it and now it sort of sucks. I still read VE3D sometimes, but it doesn't cover that much. Slashdot has sort of gone downhill (not that it was a gaming site). Some of the old game sites are just gone or hardly do anything anymore.

Anandtech is still around and kicking (and pretty good) if anyone remembers them.

1533 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo