Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1559 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jan 11, 2012, 10:47 Silicon Avatar

Black markets (piracy) exist when demand exceeds supply at the price point most of the market is willing to bear.

The industry took a two-pronged approach to reduce the black market: lowered price points (Steam sales) and legislation.

One was popular and one wasn't. Steam is succeeding and other companies are still griping and complaining and trying to buy politicians.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 11, 2012, 07:39 Silicon Avatar

I don't think a factory revolt in China would do anything other than land you in some rock quarry beating rocks out of the wall with your hands.

I remember reading recently than Foxconn was prepping to replace a significant amount of its workforce with robots over the next few years. I guess the workers will get the double-shaft then - crap job followed up by no job.

Bad situation. The whole tech hardware industry has ridden on the back of the poor. A repeat of the industrial revolution I guess. Poor people always get the shaft.

News Comments > Layoffs at id Software
51. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 07:35 Silicon Avatar

iD seems like it doesn't have any passion left.

I get the sense that Carmack is just at iD to finance his rocketry business/hobby these days. His divided attention is starting to show in the quality of his games. It's like the company doesn't have any leadership or inspiration left.

News Comments > Nyrthos Announced
3. Re: Nyrthos Announced Jan 10, 2012, 14:14 Silicon Avatar

If they had made it in a different setting I might be interested. How come nobody makes a good cyber dungeon or something like that?

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Jan 10, 2012, 00:01 Silicon Avatar

I sort of like where they went with the new Gamma World.

I skipped all the D&D4E stuff since I heard it was bad.

I think D&D is overly-complicated in general though. It borders on being too complicated to learn on your own. A new DM having to explain the game to new players is comedic to watch. It shouldn't be hat way. It should be easy and fun to learn and then hard to master once you really get into it.

News Comments > Bethesda Buys Fallout MMOG Rights
28. Re: Bethesda Buys Fallout MMOG Rights Jan 9, 2012, 23:43 Silicon Avatar

Bye bye Interplay.

Take your money and run. Now this all can finally be over.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jan 7, 2012, 17:03 Silicon Avatar

If the author uses the same 8 guns every time what does the excess matter to him?

He can just ignore it, yes?

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2012, 23:59 Silicon Avatar

I bought Limbo for cheap. That was about it for me. I completely forgot about the Steam store mini-game or whatever it was.  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Dec 31, 2011, 16:19 Silicon Avatar

Just to clarify, I'm not taking his side. I'm just saying if he were really a good PR guy he would spin all this into gold and laugh all the way to the bank.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Dec 31, 2011, 15:16 Silicon Avatar

If that PR guy were smart he'd start his own "bad boy" gaming site and make a living off of trolling gamers. Set up some ads on that site and watch the cash roll in. The last laugh would be his.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Dec 31, 2011, 15:10 Silicon Avatar

This is what happens when gaming goes from being a nerd's hobby to being a dude-bro's hobby.

News Comments > Game Reviews
32. Re: Game Reviews Dec 31, 2011, 04:32 Silicon Avatar

I wish more games like this would bring back the ability to import old saves. Then your actions really could affect the long term outlook of the game world.

21. Re: Game Reviews Dec 30, 2011, 18:01 Silicon Avatar

Yeesh. 829 hours is like 5 months of full-time employment.

18. Re: Game Reviews Dec 30, 2011, 15:41 Silicon Avatar

Some of the DLC are pretty good and they're 75% off on Steam right now. Even the crap ones are worth a dollar or so.

I hear Old World Blues is the best, but I haven't finished that one yet. I liked the Sierra Madre one (Dead Money) pretty well. The others were pretty good too, but I bought them on sale, so my expectations were not outrageous.

News Comments > J.E. Sawyer's New Vegas Mod
8. Re: J.E. Sawyer's New Vegas Mod Dec 29, 2011, 15:24 Silicon Avatar

Creston wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 14:58:
Dev wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 14:10:
Does that mean no more patches either?

Yup.

Creston

I figured that the patches were done when the last DLC came out.

I'd call the current version stable - for an Obsidian game.

There's still micro-stutter (use the 4gb enabler mod to get rid of it) and numerous glitches (use the error corrections mod to get rid of those) but..

Well, there's no but. It's an Obsidian game. It's as stable as Obsidian games get.

I still play it though. If you mod it enough it looks pretty good and doesn't crash that much.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2011, 14:10 Silicon Avatar

Tiny houses?

When BBC says "for many Americans" what they mean is "for a handful of hipsters".

Then the article makes more sense.

News Comments > J.E. Sawyer's New Vegas Mod
5. Re: J.E. Sawyer's New Vegas Mod Dec 29, 2011, 13:45 Silicon Avatar

Here's some stuff to look for if you're new.

Interior lighting
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35794

Error Corrections
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=44204

Essential Visual Enhancements
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=42666

There's one on file planet called operation fixed terrain if you Google for it. It's kind of handy.

Those are sort of the ones I always put on anyway. I use a ton of other good ones (New Vegas Bounties, etc.) but the list would get too long.

I'll probably try Sawyer's mod on my next play-through. I have been looking for a harder experience and his mod sounds like it would deliver.

News Comments > Bethesda & Interplay Fallout Settlement Nears?
13. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Fallout Settlement Nears? Dec 29, 2011, 13:31 Silicon Avatar

Interplay could be right, but it doesn't matter to gamers. They're still crap these days and they'll never make a decent Fallout MMO. That's the only news story I care about and that hasn't changed.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Dec 27, 2011, 13:37 Silicon Avatar

All I got out of the article was that some app developer got butt-hurt because some other app developer cloned his unoriginal crap game idea. Then he spawned a drama and made up a bunch of LOL about how the whole industry was going to collapse.

I guess he's new and missed the past 30-40 years worth of game clones.

Admittedly I skipped past some bits because the article is TLDR and an obvious bid by some Guardian editor to sound like an industry analyst/editor.

News Comments > Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost
8. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 12:31 Silicon Avatar

This is pretty cool. Maybe Bethesda will do similar optimizations.

I wish they could go back and make these optimizations for FO:NV.

1559 Comments. 78 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo