Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1790 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
106. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 10:27 Silicon Avatar

shihonage wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 02:42:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 01:34:
You have a lot of passion. I'll give you that.

Fallout 2 had quest flags that lead to predefined sub-endings. You are still funneled into an ending. You can't buy a boat and float away to a new world, you can't be king of Bartertown. You can't even change the economy or pick most items up. Minecraft has more going on than that.

Fallout 2 is still a good game, but it's not an open one. The world only reacts to you in ways the programmers predicted.

You want *emergent behavior* and there is little to none in Fallout 2. There is little to none of that in most games because it's hard to do and results can be unpredictable enough that the game goes from being fun to not being fun in a hurry.

You're not entirely right, which makes a HUGE practical difference in this case.

What I am talking about is not _absolute freedom_, which is impossible, but having significantly more freedom than Bioware and Bethesda games allow.

Walls made not out of brick, but out of elastic resin. This means, although the amount of "game endings" is predetermined, the individual player experience is never quite the same. It is also a VERY different feeling, between running into brick and into resin.

Both games in Fallout series accomplished this through rich world reactivity on macro- and micro-levels, as well as "soft area passability control".

It's not just WHAT happens, it's HOW it happens. Multiple quest solutions, design that has no unkillable NPCs or hard-blocked story hubs (i.e. anti-Bioware), passing by a corridor when your PER dings you that there's a stimpak in a nearby locker...

As I said, look into that Fallout guide. It's hard to comprehensively describe otherwise, but it ends up being a rich experience which dithers into something that feels organic and creates more freedom in your day-to-day actions than most games do.

You're not limited to LARPing and choosing which trash can to loot next. The game rewards you for being clever where it actually matters - its WORLD (and I see that term differently than just terrain with critters on it, mind you).

When I talk about this with most people, they immediately fall into this dichotomy - either it's a "an impossible AI that writes a story on the fly", or it's "Dwarf Fortress".

I believe in something else, based on research, not just vague dreams. We can have a game which provides a very convincing illusion of a story that is shaped by YOU.

Oh, there will be limitations as to how far it can be stretched, because we don't HAVE an AI. However we don't need an AI, just some old algorithms from 1960s, and writing+world that are structured to maximize their benefits while hiding their drawbacks.

If you want things to be shaken up you should expect to contribute yourself. There are two engines out there right now you could be using for free - Unity and Unreal - to make prototypes.

Be shiny and we will witness it.

The project exists. You'll witness it on Steam when it moves into functional gameplay.

Now if someone gave me a cure for chronic dry eye, things would move a lot faster.

Fallout used branched story paths that closed and opened new branches as you went - just like Wasteland 2. Some variations were introduced with skill checks that relied on percentages instead of hard locks. Some variations were introduced with light simulation elements (explosives can open doors, etc.).

If you want a different example of that style of gameplay look at Ultima 6 or 7, which spent way more effort on environment than branching story paths but still enters the same style of gameplay.

There are a variety of MUDs that did something similar.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

96. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 01:34 Silicon Avatar

shihonage wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 23:07:
ForgedReality wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 20:22:
The world is open, not the story. Jesus. Stop nitpicking.

Don't panic.

How does the fact that it's not a completely loose story (which would be incredibly fucking boring--you need some framework, or you don't have a game) make it not fun to play or somehow ruin your enjoyment of the game?

Because I grew out of games which pretend to have choice&consequence but really don't. I know such games are possible - Fallout1&2 paved the way - and refuse to settle for simplistic design which amounts to LARPing simulators.

I'd argue that it's your attitude that ruins your enjoyment. Holy fucking shit. Learn to smile more. >_<

I'd argue that I'm more educated than you on how complex Fallout1/2's world reactivity was. Those games were a promise of things to come, but instead the industry's been devolving at worst, in stalemate at best.

Look at Fallout1/2 walkthroughs. Like this one:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Nearly_Ultimate_Fallout_Guide

There's so much variability and world reactivity there, there are quests based on time behaviors, multiple solutions, world reactivity galore - it's just superior in every way to what we're being fed now.

The biggest mistake people make is thinking that world reactivity and C&C in an RPG is simply a series of IF-THEN statements.

In reality, while we have established, complex frameworks for rendering tree branches and fields of grass, nobody has pushed the art&science of non-linear story forward since 1997.

It doesn't require an "AI". That's a scapegoat. It doesn't require getting lost in a chess tree of infinite IF-THEN statements - that's a college students' approach.

What it does require is proper, functional framework.

And what happened to writing, proper lore-building? Fallout1/2 had pretty compact but functional/believable writing. Fallout 3 was a horrible mess. Mass Effect series is populated by Rain Men. All games have worse writing than the most mediocre TV show.

When was the last time you played a game and actually felt like you were doing what YOU want to do? I'd say, probably decades, or maybe never.

We've been so conditioned to follow the character's lead, follow the story's lead, reach the next checkpoint, "finish the story" that we've mentally become slaves to those expectations.

It's okay that you select something from the TWO choices your character has, and then he SAYS a completely different thing from what you just chose.

It's okay, man. Relax. Leave your brain at the door. Games are for brainless idiots.

Well, I refuse. I expect MORE - from story, world-building, non-linearity, reactivity.

These are THE qualities that the first 2 Fallouts took a big step toward, and Fallout 3 has abandoned due to technical ineptness, poor writing, and general ignorance.

There WILL be more, dammit. Even if I have to do it myself.

You have a lot of passion. I'll give you that.

Fallout 2 had quest flags that lead to predefined sub-endings. You are still funneled into an ending. You can't buy a boat and float away to a new world, you can't be king of Bartertown. You can't even change the economy or pick most items up. Minecraft has more going on than that.

Fallout 2 is still a good game, but it's not an open one. The world only reacts to you in ways the programmers predicted.

You want *emergent behavior* and there is little to none in Fallout 2. There is little to none of that in most games because it's hard to do and results can be unpredictable enough that the game goes from being fun to not being fun in a hurry.

If you want things to be shaken up you should expect to contribute yourself. There are two engines out there right now you could be using for free - Unity and Unreal - to make prototypes.

Be shiny and we will witness it.

77. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 3, 2015, 19:38 Silicon Avatar

I just read the Fallout 4 wiki now.

There is no use in reading anything else because of all the whiners.

Fandoms used to be fun. Now they're a total drag.

News Comments > Fallout Countdown
16. Re: Fallout Countdown Jun 2, 2015, 14:42 Silicon Avatar

I'd play a Fallout MMO too, but I expect this will be a single player game.

Zenimax Online seems to handle the MMO stuff. If they were doing a Fallout MMO it'd probably come out of their site.

News Comments > Fallout Countdown
13. Re: Fallout Countdown Jun 2, 2015, 14:38 Silicon Avatar

I'm in for the collector's special ultra edition.

I loves me some Fallout.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 1, 2015, 17:34 Silicon Avatar

The piper is going to get paid. Not everyone is going to like what replaces ads.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2015, 21:12 Silicon Avatar

Julio wrote on May 30, 2015, 18:00:
PHJF wrote on May 30, 2015, 17:03:
I saw Fury Road a grand total of three times. Figure I need to do my part to ensure that an actually good movie makes money for a change.

No thanks, I'd rather not support feminist propaganda movies.

Oh please. You know, whatever. Your loss.

Archer's paradox:

That dude with the arrows was crazy skilled. I'd never really thought about the arrows having to go around the bow.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
2. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 30, 2015, 20:55 Silicon Avatar

I'd back a Kojima / Del Toro survival horror on KS.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews May 30, 2015, 13:49 Silicon Avatar

So... They missed some opportunities due to their management style and now they've adopted some fad management style to correct it and thrown baby out with bathwater.

Only now they're backpedaling and saying that even though they threw the baby out, they went and picked it up and it's fine and you can see it again someday maybe. But it's totally fine.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse May 26, 2015, 14:37 Silicon Avatar

That "optional tracking protection" is simple to turn on and seems to work pretty well in conjunction with Adblock.  

News Comments > Mad Max Savage Road Trailer
9. Re: Mad Max Savage Road Trailer May 26, 2015, 14:37 Silicon Avatar

I thought that guy's name was Rictus Erectus, not Scrotus.

Whatever, awesome, awesome movie and the game actually looks pretty good too.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance May 23, 2015, 19:22 Silicon Avatar

That e-paper ccv code is pretty cool.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup May 22, 2015, 20:57 Silicon Avatar

I would like to see procedurally generated content well beyond what is available now. It's a good concept.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2015, 18:55 Silicon Avatar

I only need one game delivery service.

Gog is fine. I buy old stuff on there out of nostalgia but I'm not leaving behind 50 or whatever games like this guy did.

Whatever gives Steam more competition benefits me though so... Okay.

News Comments > DOOM Reveal at E3
50. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 18, 2015, 19:27 Silicon Avatar

The troll in me wants this to be the big reveal for E3 just so I can bust out the 500 gallon bucket of popcorn.

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Re: Game Reviews May 17, 2015, 18:05 Silicon Avatar

BIGtrouble77 wrote on May 17, 2015, 13:55:
Silicon Avatar wrote on May 17, 2015, 13:18:
The stock argument is that, late game, you will have so much combat that you'll never finish.

I can kind of see it but at the same time I don't find the combat viewer enjoyable and never finish games anyway, so...

One of my favorite old 4x games is Knights of Honor. It had a very nice combat mode that you could opt out of. I found that I rarely took part in any battles, but it was nice to join the occasional critical battle. It would be really nice if GalCiv provided that.

Agree. I'd love that.

10. Re: Game Reviews May 17, 2015, 13:18 Silicon Avatar

The stock argument is that, late game, you will have so much combat that you'll never finish.

I can kind of see it but at the same time I don't find the combat viewer enjoyable and never finish games anyway, so...

7. Re: Game Reviews May 17, 2015, 03:39 Silicon Avatar

Are you playing the campaign?

It sounds like something is broken with the rarity selector maybe.

There is a bug with the pirates right now though. Around turn 100 if you have a lot of pirates in your game your turns will take 20 seconds or more to process because the pirates have no range and the A* pathfinding they use can bog down on immense galaxies. The developer has a fix and will get it in soon.

I would have preferred better combat than the combat viewer. The current combat viewer's ability to show you what's going on is laughable. Ships float around randomly with a bobbing camera that can't ever decide what to focus on. There's no formations or anything. It's not worth watching after a few times. It sort of takes away from the ship design aspect too. You can put all your lasers on the bottom or on the top or whatever - it isn't going to make any difference in how the battles play out.

Fun game but some things could have been pushed farther. I'd give it an 8.5. I bought it cheap on the initial KS. It's good, just not A+.

This comment was edited on May 17, 2015, 03:47.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Specs
41. Re: Oculus Rift Specs May 16, 2015, 13:47 Silicon Avatar

I'm excited about it, I just don't want to pay for generation 1. It always has glitches.

I'm also still really worried about how my eyes are going to take this. I wear glasses already. This is a thing I need to try on and use for myself before buying.

1. Re: Game Reviews May 16, 2015, 13:40 Silicon Avatar

I played about 6 hours of GalCiv 3 last night. I found a few graphical glitches. No crashes. I got that "one more turn" feeling.

Galciv3 does not deviate from the GalCiv formula - it just adds nuance and refinement. To me, because the last game in the series is so old, that is pretty much exactly what I wanted. For some, who wanted action combat and radical changes, then this game is not for them.

1790 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo